Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Apocadall posted:

drat, oh well, I guess at least now that I understand it all well enough maybe I can plan something out better this time.

current setup

Power in top left, steel and iron plates to the top right, was expanding to the lower right to put more stuff in, maybe ore processing? Is it more effective to process at the dig site and then transport the plates or the transport the ore to a central smelter? I feel like the central smelter might be more extensible.

There are Lua commands that can help. Don't know them off the top of my head, but you can spawn/modify resources in-game.

Alternately, the game world expands infinitely. Build trains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, from what I can see you have plenty of resource spots nearby, so why aren't you just paving over all of that ugly greenery with your nice, clean factory?

CONSUME

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I really want a mod that turns copper wire into burger patties and like green boards into dollar menu burgers and red boards are quarter pounders etc etc.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
But what becomes nuggets

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr. Bill posted:

But what becomes nuggets

So okay like in that scenario copper is beef so let's make iron chicken. Steel beams are chicken nuggets because it's just some chicken bits smushed together.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is the rocket defense the Noah's Ark burger?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Apocadall posted:

Is there any way to change size of mineral deposits after start? I have about 50 hours into a factory now and just starting to get good amounts of alien artifacts, but all my mineral deposits are set to normal/regular from when I first started. What's my best option (please don't say restart :( ).

What do you want, exactly?

code:
game.regenerateentity("iron-ore")
will restore any mined out (removed) iron ore resource 'tiles' to its value when the map started, which would be one way to extend your resource mistake.

code:
for _,p in pairs(game.entityprototypes) do if p.type=="resource" and p.resourcecategory=="basic-solid"
then game.regenerateentity(p.name) end end
will regenerate all resources, even any that mods have added (except oil or other fluids; if you want to include that, omit the " and p.resourcecategory=="basic-solid" "part. Uses the autoplace settings, so won't work with RSO. It will also take a while.

Alternately/in addition, you can just apply a multiplier to ores on the map.
code:
local xn,xx,yn,yx,rc=0,0,0,0,{};for c in game.getchunks() do if c.x<xn then xn=c.x elseif c.x>xx then xx=c.x end;
if c.y<yn then yn=c.y elseif c.y>yx then yx=c.y end end for _,r in pairs(game.findentitiesfiltered{area={{xn*32,yn*32},
{xx*32,yx*32}},type="resource"}) do if rc[r.name]==nil then rc[r.name]=game.entityprototypes[r.name].resourcecategory
=="basic-solid" end if rc[r.name] then r.amount=r.amount*2 end end
Will just double everything. Change the *2 there toward the end to whatever for a different factor.

edit: This is assuming you just want more stuff. If you're looking for a way to increase the geographic size of resource deposits on the map, there's not really a way to do so without restarting.
edit2: Since I assume you'll be copypasting this, don't forget to include the /c at the beginning to get it to execute as a command, instead of just a chat message

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2015

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

On the topic of ore veins, what kind of map settings do most of you play the game on? I'm strangely reluctant to deviate from the default, but having less water to screw up your basebuilding and having richer veins is a really nice thing. On the default settings, ore patches just run out pretty fast and running trains around the country quickly turns into moving outposts from one spot to another. That's not much of a hassle with a bot army though.

Also, what are good outpost defenses like? I've begun using cut off corners because whenever the bugs attack a corner the amount of turrets that have coverage there is much lower. There's still a decent amount of damage after an extensive amount of time, but so far a handful of bots with a stack of repair kits seem to hold up nicely. Perhaps I could do with 2 rows of turrets.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I always set water to only in starting zone, as I don't like free defense that lakes give you. However this seems to make it so that you will more often than not end up on a desert planet. Great if you hate trees, bad if you like clean air.

Then I do max size, 2nd least richness, min frequency mineral deposits. As that seem to give the right amount of resources for me. Oil frequency is jacked all the way up as it is the only stat for oil that matters. Stone and Coal are richness and frequency up by one. If I need them I don't want to have to look hard to find them, and once I found them I would rather not have to look for them again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are there any dev plans to factor in water in the form of boats, docks, underwater resources, derricks, aquatic/amphibious biters? It would be a neat surprise for you to suddenly get invaded by the sea.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Are there any dev plans to factor in water in the form of boats, docks, underwater resources, derricks, aquatic/amphibious biters? It would be a neat surprise for you to suddenly get invaded by the sea.

I always found the fish entities to be vaguely foreboding.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can you still get fish? The wiki says "mine water" but that doesn't seem to work.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
AFAIK, nothing solid in any blog, but they've made dozens of posts talking about things they would like to do with water, which involves most of those things.

FISHMANPET posted:

Can you still get fish? The wiki says "mine water" but that doesn't seem to work.

Go up to the water and click a fish. If you're having trouble getting them, hit F5 and you can see the clickbox.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Offshore oilspillsrigs when?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I started a new game last night with a few mods,. Hoping to change up my play style a bit

Landfill: Let's you fill in water with rocks, and also has a very expensive bomb that (I think) will create new bodies of water). Filling in the small pockets of water has been very useful so far.
FARL: Should make train laying a lot easier, which I'll be doing a lot more of.
RSO: Changes resource generation to make a more train friendly map. Deposits are small (about 10-15 miners can fit) so you'll need a lot of them to feed a large factory, but they're rich enough to make building trains worth it.
Rail Tanker: because barreling oil to put it on trains is annoying, just move the crude oil around
5dim trains: This required 5dim core, which does nothing but make the player inventory massive and increase the stack size for a lot of stuff (and I'm still not sure how I feel about that), but this adds electric trains, roboport train cars, and turret (gun and laser) train cars.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How much do you use modules? I very rarely do, if I want more of something I just build more. The only things I do are Speed III modules in the furnaces in my circuit factory (one in each copper furnace) so that copper and iron are always being smelted, and in empty pumpjacks to increase their output. But I'm watching Arumba's video and they're all like "wooo modules!" and they're going for efficiency modules, which are powerful, but who cares about pollution? Unless you're intentially going for minimal pollution but in the course of "normal" gameplay I'm not sure why I'd rush for any modules.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

How much do you use modules? I very rarely do, if I want more of something I just build more. The only things I do are Speed III modules in the furnaces in my circuit factory (one in each copper furnace) so that copper and iron are always being smelted, and in empty pumpjacks to increase their output. But I'm watching Arumba's video and they're all like "wooo modules!" and they're going for efficiency modules, which are powerful, but who cares about pollution? Unless you're intentially going for minimal pollution but in the course of "normal" gameplay I'm not sure why I'd rush for any modules.

I pretty much do the same way, except I always desperately need modules because of oil. I never have enough oil.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Production modules are king in assemblers, since each one in a production line (ore->...->rocketdefence) multiplies the factory's effective input. More input = more output.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, but at a massive increase in energy costs:
http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Module#Productivity_Module

And it also slows down production. So again I'd rather just gather more of the raw resource and build a bigger factory, rather than slow down my production.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

http://www.latexcatfish.com/xcart/Express-Pass.html

And it also slows down production. So again I'd rather just gather more of the raw resource and build a bigger factory, rather than slow down my production.

I really need to start reading urls before I click them.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Spaseman posted:

I really need to start reading urls before I click them.

Hope you weren't at work!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh Jesus Christ sorry. I fixed it.
Odds are you only got the 403 page, it's even worse if you have an account there.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

Energy is free, it only costs real estate, and that's infinite. 'Slows down' production is solved by building a bigger factory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh Jesus Christ sorry. I fixed it.
Odds are you only got the 403 page, it's even worse if you have an account there.

This was the exact face I had when I clicked that link.

I'm never going to be able to look at your avatar the same way again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:dogbutton:

So that's why you need that rubber factory.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

Can someone check my math on this? I'm trying to break up my refinery into manageable chunks I can drop anywhere rather than one giant monolithic gently caress off thing.

So, 4 refineries with advanced oil processing will produce, every 5 seconds, 4 heavy oil, 18 light oil, and 22 petroleum. Heavy oil to light oil takes 4 heavy oil and turns it into 3 light oil every 5 seconds. So 1 chemical plant is good enough for my 4 refineries, and that means I'm making 21 light oil and 22 petroleum. Cracking light oil takes 3 light oil in 5 seconds, so I need 7 chemical plants to crack all that light oil. Which then means I'm producing 36 petroleum every 5 seconds. Plastics takes 3 petroleum and 1 second to make plastic, so it needs 15 petroleum every 5 seconds. So I could put in 3 chemical plants in this unit and have them waiting for petroleum sometimes, or 2 chemical plants and have the refinery stop sometimes while it waits for the chemical plants to catch up.

Or since the LCM of 15 and 36 is 180, and 180/36 is 5, I could have 5 sets of my 4-refinery block feed in to 180/15=12 chemical plants producing plastic bars.

Since I've already got a refinery that makes enough of everything else, I'd just need plastic units I could drop anywhere on the map. Does that all check out?

So I tried to implement this, but in practice my math is off. The crafting speed of a refinery is 1, so it actually takes 5 seconds, but the crafting speed of the chemical plant is 1.25, so all those recopies take 4 seconds to craft.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When do the Friday updates typically come out? Isn't it like 5:30 for those guys right now?

I can't stand the anticipation! I need to know if we'll have a release to play this weekend!

Edit: gently caress.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Hey, wanna meet up and chat a bit? :wink:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Greetings Thread, I am an avatar person.

I avatar people.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its... horrifying! :perfect:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Welp.

E to add content:

FISHMANPET posted:

I started a new game last night with a few mods,. Hoping to change up my play style a bit

Landfill: Let's you fill in water with rocks, and also has a very expensive bomb that (I think) will create new bodies of water). Filling in the small pockets of water has been very useful so far.
FARL: Should make train laying a lot easier, which I'll be doing a lot more of.
RSO: Changes resource generation to make a more train friendly map. Deposits are small (about 10-15 miners can fit) so you'll need a lot of them to feed a large factory, but they're rich enough to make building trains worth it.
Rail Tanker: because barreling oil to put it on trains is annoying, just move the crude oil around
5dim trains: This required 5dim core, which does nothing but make the player inventory massive and increase the stack size for a lot of stuff (and I'm still not sure how I feel about that), but this adds electric trains, roboport train cars, and turret (gun and laser) train cars.

I turned of 5dim core pretty quickly because it just totally removed any need for inventory management, which I think is part of the challenge of the game. And I couldn't turn off 5dim_trains because it modified basically every train object (moved it into a new crafting tab) but I stopped using all the objects. Electric trains are cool but just end up being more of a hassle than they're worth (and sometimes just randomly stop running). Maybe with .12 and personal roboports there will be some more options for modders to do stuff with roboports, but right now the roboport wagon and logistics wagons just joins your regular logistics network. Also, the logistics wagons don't have as much capacity as regular wagons

What I really want is a car that will be a requestor carriage in my main base but then become a passive provider or storage chest in another roboport. To use a wagon as a provider chest for a distant base but load it up in your main factory, you'd need to actually park it outside your logistics network but right on the edge so you can easily have requestor chests feed into the wagon (using inventory filtering to make sure the wagon doesn't fill up with the wrong item.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 13, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wear it with pride, crazy fetish guy/gal! Most jerks around here have to post some incredibly lovely opinion on the internet to get an avatar bought for them, you brought gales of laughter to at least half a dozen people. :haw:

E: Oh, thats why we've had no Factorio posts, 0.12 got delayed a few days ago. :smith:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kovarex posted:

There is big amounts of things that were broken week ago and not anymore

Perhaps tomorrow? Kinda cruel if kovarex posted that in a .12 status thread and it's for nothing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-95 :f5:

Now they're just teasing us. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13511

Edit: :toot: Friday Facts #95 - 0.12 Release today :toot:

https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 17, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Patch notes here:

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13512&p=91342#p91342

The update looks amazing and I tried to make a post detailing the things I liked the most and I found myself copying nearly everything over.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Some of the more important changes to highlight, that we haven't mentioned in the last few pages:

-Assembling machine input slot can contain more than the usual stack size when the recipe requirement demands it (3 X recipe demand).
-Mousing over a train will show you its current path and blocks it can't enter.
-Building blueprints over existing ghosts restores the ghost time to live to full.
-Items on transport belts don't go off the belt at the end, so the transport belt has to go directly in front of the required inserter.
-All turrets are now 4x4; laser turrets are 4x more expensive and powerful, gun turrets are 2x more expensive
-Number of autosave slots is now configurable through config.ini
-Car / Tank ammo inventory is refilled from the trunk / player inventory when exhausted.
-Turrets can now be modded to use shotgun (and other not guided) ammo :getin:

Edit: Do note they change A LOT of the scripting so basically most of the commands don't seem to work anymore.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 17, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Am I right to think that trains will run faster if their tracks are on concrete? It sure sounds like terrain slow down affects all vehicles.

Super psyched. Going to start a new factory as soon as I get home.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Slickdrac posted:

-Turrets can now be modded to use shotgun (and other not guided) ammo :getin:

Rocket Turrets then?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fans posted:

Rocket Turrets then?

Or :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm still hoping they implement the weapon tech tree from WZ2100. It would fit the game perfectly. I wanna surround my base with Howitzers, damnit!