Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, FFXIV had... a lot of issues. It was literally the old online mmo just with a new paint job on it. It was so bad they had it so when you were crafting an item, even if it was at 100% guaranteed to be high quality, it could still fail. At 100%. There were also issues with the battle system where it was trying to be turn based, but there would be up to 8 people trying to fight a boss at the same time. You'd have so many people having no idea what they were doing or waiting for the boss to shudder their way across the platform. The whole game would just start lagging out. It would get so bad that the game would take a few seconds for you to equip one single item.

It was so bad they literally destroyed the entire game and rebuilt it, even the job quests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEg8kXmifo It was kinda cool though, you gotta admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Basically everything was hosed but what stood out the most to me was how slow it was to navigate menus and manipulate your inventory. Here's a video of a guy taking 2 and a half minutes to sell 20 items from his inventory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw

I saw the delay between him clicking "sell item" and his inventory actually opening up and closed the video. Really thats all you need to know, dear lord that was bad. Reminder: Some nerds actually prefer this version

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Can't you just create a different account or use a different email or something?

Pro tip, if you have a gmail address it ignores all periods in the address when receiving mail, but most websites will treat it as a unique address.

So if you already have an account as johnsmith@gmail.com you can sign up as john.smith@gmail.com or j.ohnsmith@gmail.com or j.o.h.n.smith@gmail.com or so on. They'll all come to your inbox but sites treat them like they're unique.

Can confirm, this is how I've been getting someones bank information even after years of trying to get them to fix it.

I wish I were joking

My favorite little thing about Steam and Iron: Russo-Japanese War is how the lack of information keeps you constantly on your toes. You never know if there's a Japanese naval division stalking you or where the Russian convoy raiders are. Wrong thread

Thing dragging down Hitman Absolution is the melee combat. The quicktime stuff is lame, there's only like...4 animations and its more tedious than anything else in the game.

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Jul 10, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Which was based almost entirely off of player feedback from the disastrous first launch, which makes it even more asinine.

Well, you like SWERY, right? In an interview he very matter-of-factly said he doesn't listen to the opinions of anyone who isn't another game developer when working on games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

mycot posted:

Well, you like SWERY, right? In an interview he very matter-of-factly said he doesn't listen to the opinions of anyone who isn't another game developer when working on games.

I think the guys who make Smash Bros said the exact same thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lotish posted:

It's a pretty common sentiment even outside of video games, there's an almost identical quote from a Clover Studio developer centering around Viewtiful Joe's giant head (paraphrasing, "well I think his head is cool, suck it focus group kids"). It's a complicated topic that's really inappropriate for a black/white outlook.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lotish posted:

What happened was there was a Q&A with Sakurai and somebody was giving him crap about smash bros and his response was "when was the last time you made a game?"

It was pretty much a mic drop moment.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

What happened was there was a Q&A with Sakurai and somebody was giving him crap about smash bros and his response was "when was the last time you made a game?"

It was pretty much a mic drop moment.

I didn't know that Sakurai was a fan of the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Regardless of Games Are Art, games are art in the same way the architecture of an office building or some other large structure is art. You need there to be so many floors, you need these floors to have this furniture and layout but these upper floors to have that layout, you need the right building materials and underlying wiring and plumbing and infrastructure and all that.

Sometimes an architect/civil engineer can say "gently caress you, you don't know how to design a building like this, I wanted it to be this way" and sometimes none of the toilets work and the third elevator is unusable and the floor gives way if you put enough weight on it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sleeveless posted:

I didn't know that Sakurai was a fan of the Jamie Kennedy documentary Heckler.

The phrase "I don't have to be a cook to know when I'm eating a bowl of diarrhea" would have been a good comeback. Sakurai's great, but that attitude sucks.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

The phrase "I don't have to be a cook to know when I'm eating a bowl of diarrhea" would have been a good comeback. Sakurai's great, but that attitude sucks.

I think if the complaint stems from the ignorance of the programming or development process, i.e. "Why don't they just [x]?", it might be justified. If someone has an idea that isn't exactly feasible, it might be worth pointing out that there's an actual reason people have to learn to do those things. Otherwise I fully agree.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I dunno it's a Smash Brothers fan so he was probably like "Hey Sakurai Metaknight is garbage and tripping is terrible and items? What the gently caress were you thinking?"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

I dunno it's a Smash Brothers fan so he was probably like "Hey Sakurai Metaknight is garbage and tripping is terrible and items? What the gently caress were you thinking?"

I actually had something among those lines typed out but decided to delete it, regardless of what his complaint was he's still a fan, just saying "I don't think this would be enjoyable to many people" or "I hear many positive comments about those features, and you can always turn items off" would be a bit more friendly than that put-down; not knowing the question, though, I can only speculate.

Of course, nothing obligates the developer to be nice either.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Jul 10, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The thing is, non-game developers make up most of the audience of games so it makes sense to listen to them as they're the majority of your feedback and probably indicative of how most people experience a game. On the other hand they don't know how to make games so they often don't know what they actually want, or they have really terrible ideas for solutions which means they're probably often only good for saying "I don't like thing" to point out what's wrong with a game, and not how to actually fix that problem.

But then some of them do have really good input, so I don't think the answer is to ignore everything fans say. But games are just escapism for me, not a career, so what do I know.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

I actually had something among those lines typed out but decided to delete it, regardless of what his complaint was he's still a fan, just saying "I don't think this would be enjoyable to many people" or "I hear many positive comments about those features, and you can always turn items off" would be a bit more friendly than that put-down; not knowing the question, though, I can only speculate.

Of course, nothing obligates the developer to be nice either.

The person asking the question was a "pro" smash player, and insisted that Sakurai should let him help him balance the game because he's played it sooooo much. He basically framed it as "you should hire me because I know your game better than you." So Sakurai shut him down with that line. Pro game players are dragging down this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The thing is, non-game developers make up most of the audience of games so it makes sense to listen to them as they're the majority of your feedback and probably indicative of how most people experience a game. On the other hand they don't know how to make games so they often don't know what they actually want, or they have really terrible ideas for solutions which means they're probably often only good for saying "I don't like thing" to point out what's wrong with a game, and not how to actually fix that problem.

But then some of them do have really good input, so I don't think the answer is to ignore everything fans say. But games are just escapism for me, not a career, so what do I know.

Yeah, I mean obviously you have to listen to your audience. But like you said, just because they feel something doesn't mean that what they think is wrong is wrong or what they think will fix it will fix it. And then there's just the completely outrageous stuff, like "smash bros should have 200 of my favorite anime characters" like obviously that just isn't possible.

There was a very fascinating article recently about how in Resident Evil 4 the game actually features a dynamic difficulty which gets easier as you fail over and over. Enemies get easier to kill, fewer of them spawn, things like that. But Capcom never told a soul about it, they didn't put it on the box art as a feature, they didn't mention it in a manual, they didn't even hint at it during an interview. They sat on it and kept it secret until long after everybody had beaten the game.

If they had told players that the game got easier as you messed up, people would riot. It would be a game "for casuals". People would demand difficulty options to make it hard for themselves, and then they'd have a worse time.

Gamers really don't know whats best for them most of the time. Its one of the hardest parts of this industry.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The trick is to promise the gamers that everything will be fixed in the $100 special edition sequel

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Gamers are dragging every game down and it's easy to forget that the most vocal morons are not representative of the majority of people who buy games.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The person asking the question was a "pro" smash player, and insisted that Sakurai should let him help him balance the game because he's played it sooooo much. He basically framed it as "you should hire me because I know your game better than you." So Sakurai shut him down with that line. Pro game players are dragging down this game.

Yeah i have to say "you don't know how to do game design" is a valid response to this. Like does the dude think they didn't iterate on the game balance at all, and that there would be zero unforeseen problems when he starts tweaking mechanics in this gigantic jenga tower of mechanics

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

Gamers are dragging every game down and it's easy to forget that the most vocal morons are not representative of the majority of people who buy games.

Yeah that's a big point that I think trips up lots of companies. You can have a forum full of people complaining about feature X but that doesn't really mean its bad, its just the people who like it are busy playing the game or doing other better things with their life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Zaphod42 posted:

doing other better things with their life.

lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

swamp waste posted:

Yeah i have to say "you don't know how to do game design" is a valid response to this. Like does the dude think they didn't iterate on the game balance at all, and that there would be zero unforeseen problems when he starts tweaking mechanics in this gigantic jenga tower of mechanics

It's true, it's not the nice thing to say but sometimes the usefulness of a person's advice is limited by their own knowledge. To borrow from the cake analogy, a non chef could tell a cake tastes awful but they might not be able to actually tell how to make it taste better.

Of course in the real world people don't have to choose between only two extremes of "don't listen to ANYONE" or "take absolutely everyone's word dead seriously", but I think anyone sane or not being deliberate dense understands that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wish storing and retrieving your character's appearance in SRIV didn't involve an online registration system that apparently never works. I end up never using the plastic surgery option.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wish storing and retrieving your character's appearance in SRIV didn't involve an online registration system that apparently never works. I end up never using the plastic surgery option.

Why not?
You're rolling in more money than you could possibly use. Go nuts!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Inzombiac posted:

Why not?
You're rolling in more money than you could possibly use. Go nuts!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Unless I am completely forgetting but I don't think there was a non-server side way of saving your previous body build and you might want to go back to it.

You could always just write down the variables I guess but gently caress that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

World Famous Whore posted:

Unless I am completely forgetting but I don't think there was a non-server side way of saving your previous body build and you might want to go back to it.

You could always just write down the variables I guess but gently caress that.

I ended up taking screenshots, uploading them to the Steam community and browsing those on a tablet while I had the game open. That sounds like more work than it really is, but I still was glad I didn't go too crazy with all the sliders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm replaying Fallout New Vegas with all the DLC, and the thing dragging it down for me atm is the unskippable intros to those DLCs. Dead Money isn't bad, but Old World Blues goes on for quite some time. This also wouldn't be so bad if I A) hadn't already seen them and B) didn't keep crashing during load screens. The crashes themselves are largely mod related, I believe, so maybe there's a mod for skipping the intros that I don't know about, but I just want to load into the DLC--I know about the Sierra Madre, Elijah, so shut up!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lotish posted:

I'm replaying Fallout New Vegas with all the DLC, and the thing dragging it down for me atm is the unskippable intros to those DLCs. Dead Money isn't bad, but Old World Blues goes on for quite some time. This also wouldn't be so bad if I A) hadn't already seen them and B) didn't keep crashing during load screens. The crashes themselves are largely mod related, I believe, so maybe there's a mod for skipping the intros that I don't know about, but I just want to load into the DLC--I know about the Sierra Madre, Elijah, so shut up!

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56651/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also NVAC is great at preventing a lot of common crashes:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Lotish posted:

I had a similar thing with Borderlands 2 and it gets annoying because you usually do several playthrough per character. I despise unskippable content in general. I played FFX recently and was just watching Netflix at the same time. gently caress knows how speed runners put up with it.

--------------------------------------

One of the annoying things about Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends is that you keep having to reinput the options for the search function. Between that and having to sort through the results you end up spending a surprisingly large amount of time and effort messing around with your weapons, most of which would be unnecessary if they had just let you store the elements instead. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate already has something similar and that works out pretty well.

Another thing is even max level characters can take more than a million gold to max out their stats. This can take several hours to get even with the optimal gold farming method which is annoying in and of itself because it relies on letting your AI bodyguards fight for you. EDIT: I completely forgot about this: the gold farming method relies on summoning enemy soldiers. I don't know whether this is just on Vita but said soldiers sometimes disappear altogether.

Death Zebra has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jul 15, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

bewilderment posted:

Regardless of Games Are Art, games are art in the same way the architecture of an office building or some other large structure is art. You need there to be so many floors, you need these floors to have this furniture and layout but these upper floors to have that layout, you need the right building materials and underlying wiring and plumbing and infrastructure and all that.

Sometimes an architect/civil engineer can say "gently caress you, you don't know how to design a building like this, I wanted it to be this way" and sometimes none of the toilets work and the third elevator is unusable and the floor gives way if you put enough weight on it.

This thread came to mind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

Also NVAC is great at preventing a lot of common crashes:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/

Nice. I'll try those. Is there one for Fallout 3? I picked it up in a Steam sale and am now trying to start a game, but I have crashed four times without even making it to the baby crawling stage.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lotish posted:

Nice. I'll try those. Is there one for Fallout 3? I picked it up in a Steam sale and am now trying to start a game, but I have crashed four times without even making it to the baby crawling stage.
If you're on Windows 7 or later you'll want to Google for whatever nonsense gets the game to run. Alternately you can download the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

J-Spot posted:

If you're on Windows 7 or later you'll want to Google for whatever nonsense gets the game to run. Alternately you can download the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine.

This is the best advice. It's a lot easier than it seems to get it to run normally with 95 mods bolted on, and it's surprisingly stable. If you just want to run both games vanilla, it's a piece of cake.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ATOTW really is phenomenal except that getting from The Capital Wasteland to Goodsprings is a pain in the rear end and I don't know how you're supposed to do it without a guide.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I heard somewhere that it's supposed to give you a quest once you're done with the story but I had to look it up as well. Also I recommend setting it up from a clean install because mine bugged out pretty hard after being installed on top of my regular NV stuff. I'm talking completely game breaking poo poo I had to use the console to bypass. Also watch out for your save getting super big because apparently that happens and it'll take you forever to load.

Also it won't work with any non English versions of the game.

Morglon has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Jul 16, 2015

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Ori and the blind forest

Simply awesome metrovidia jumping platformer - with amazing soundtrack and artwork.

But holy hell, can the level designers really botch up some of the escape scenes. Nothing really kills the mood of getting to 90 percent of the escape part (I am looking at you, mount horus), the music's on track, you got that adrenaline rush of "oh crap oh crap, okay, JUMP HERE, BASH THAT, oh crap oh crap run run YES just missed that, okay now I jump here and..."

... and then it'ss "Oh haha! we had (scripted instadeath spike, lava flow, etc...) surprise you, see the only way you would have had time to anticipate it coming was to +know+ it was going to happen, but you did'nt, so TOO BAD, instadeath. try again)

and then you die many times after that and then it's just "okay, this music is getting annoying - I get it I get it... jump here, yeeah yeah dodge that, hohum oops I died.. oh well, here we go again...)

If I wanted to play super meat boy, I'd play that instead.

At least give the player a little margin for error by taking away health or something, and not muscle rote simon-says.

A shame - because other than that, it's a beutiful game that is worth what it is on steam.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Wolfenstein: The New Order is a loving gorgeous game but they give almost all of the male heroes big wet eyes that are just a little bit too big and expressive for their own good. Having BJ Blazkowicz be a hunky he-man lantern-jawed Nazi killer who always looks on the verge of bursting into tears in every other cutscene comes off as a bit silly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
To be fair, that'd probably be my default appearance in a world ruled by Nazi's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's my default appearance anyway.