Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e: nm hosting site was malicious and I don't know another

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Someone posted an autohotkey script a while back, with a vague warning that it had bugs. I made a fancier version here: http://pastebin.com/usuUEu7w

F1 to spam E (for harvesting plants), F2 to enable auto-walk and F3 to click 20 times. It should also automatically interrupt what it's doing if the game window loses focus (without checking several times a second like the old version did). Works for me on Win7, though the window focus stuff might not be supported on Win8.

As a bonus feature if you're running windowed or fullscreen windowed, you can put the icons from this rar file in the same folder as the .ahk and comment out the "return" on line 34 to have it show them in the top left of the screen when any of the functions are running. This won't work in regular fullscreen mode though.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

this link is flagged as malicious

quote:

What is the current listing status for d.maxfile.ro?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 7 time(s) over the past 90 days.

Of the 137 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 7 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2015-07-06, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2015-06-21.
Malicious software includes 65 trojan(s), 22 exploit(s).

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 7, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well pomf.se doesn't work anymore so I was using that, I'll remove the link though. Guess I'll just use youtube next time. :shrug:

In unrelated news I finished my wooden house and was collecting materials for a simple bed and was attacked by 3 dilos so I went inside the house and locked the door...but they just stuck their heads through the walls and killed me anyway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sh4 posted:

this link is flagged as malicious
Then don't quote it, jesus christ. That poo poo loads automatically on phones

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
removed link

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
How was the server after the restart/update? It must of been glorious to not have rubber banding for a few minutes! Very sad I missed it.

Also; Couldn't get Pilchenstein's script to work but I found another one. Not as advanced but it works!

Middle mouse TOGGLES "Rapid FIre" mode. There will be a tiny tooltip showing that the macro is active

This script is far from "perfect". It does what I need it to do, and it works well enough for me that I never cared to refine it further. It is written in autohotkey (AHK)

While rapid fire is active :

Left mouse button will rapid fire while held down, useful for crafting in bulk or eating a whole stack of berries.

E will rapid fire when held down, useful for running through shrubs to harvest fiber

Ctrl+W will hold down the W button (autowalk), press W again to cancel. Yes Rapid Fire must be active for this hotkey combo to work, told you the script isn't perfect. You can toggle off rapid fire once you start moving though.

code:
suspend

mbutton::
Suspend, toggle
ToolTip, % (A_IsSuspended) ? ("") : ("RAPID FIRE!")
return

*lbutton::
Loop
{
GetKeyState, state, lbutton, P
if State = U
break
; Otherwise:
Send, {lbutton}
Sleep, 10
}
return

*e::
Loop
{
GetKeyState, state, e, P
if State = U
break
; Otherwise:
Send, e
Sleep, 10
}
return

^w::
sleep, 1000
send, {w down}
return

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 7, 2015

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

games pretty fun have some screenshots:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Monowhatever posted:

games pretty fun have some screenshots:

Jazz hands!

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
Too bad I don't tame too much :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

comfy house comfy life

got picked up by a guy...he kept moving me around and then I guess he got bored with me and left - at one point he put me on the roof of a building that was like 4 stories tall

I also killed this while it sort of gravitated around me and got an instant level-up from it

The only thing is I thought I was being clever hiding my house in all this vegetation but the house renders in before the plants do. But it's still a nice spot with a forest right next to me that I can level every day for more spikes. :v:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get pillars to snap to grid alignment? I'm trying to build a base at the top of a rock, and I'm trying to get a grid of pillars to build it so everything doesn't come crashing down if the central pillar gets taken out. If I build out a platform from a central pillar can I build 'down' with pillars from tiles adjacent to the central platform tile until I hit rock and get support that way?

edit - While I'm asking building questions, how do I build a dino garage/stable? I.e. something that will prevent an archer dangling from a bird just blasting away at my dinos from above. Any way to roof over a fenced-in area? Or if I build a house on foundations how big does it need to be to let me steer in a ridden dino that can fit through dinosaur gates? I'm guessing 2x4x2 should do it.

edit 2- Which caves make the most sense to live in? I've only really explored the northeast one, there's not much room before the big cavern, and if you build at the bottom it's a long trek back to the top.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Tiny busted huts make great hiding spots for hidden stashes. If something looks busted on the outside most people just walk on by. But yeah the rubberbanding is a bit much... It's my main deterrent to playing really

The best hiding spots are small storage boxes placed inside coral on the sea bed. They're unpickable and pretty much completely obscure the box if you stick it right in the middle. Unless someone stumbles across it, it's basically foolproof.

And an unrelated base raiding/robbing/exploring tip - You can stand on placed storage boxes. Placed correctly the small box is enough of a boost to get you over a one level fence. Build a large storage box next to it and you can jump from small to large to over a two-level fence. Carry an extra set to place on the other side of the fence to get back out when you're done, if it's not a kamikaze run. And theoretically you could just build a ladder tall enough right outside the base building exclusion range and parachute in, but it would take some testing to figure out the correct location and height. None of this is particularly useful if you've got a partner with a bird who can just drop you in, but at low levels or on no-grab servers it's a useful trick.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 8, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well I met the first pvpers that weren't dumb naked guys trying to punch me :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9ZO_BRUr8
They were lurking at the house for about 20 minutes total between the time I was inside and the time I was outside.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

turtlecrunch posted:

Well I met the first pvpers that weren't dumb naked guys trying to punch me :stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9ZO_BRUr8
They were lurking at the house for about 20 minutes total between the time I was inside and the time I was outside.

What I've learned from this video:

1) pvp in this game is gonna be gay and terrible
2) have two beds

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I realize that this is a survival game, but I heard that it also has PvE servers so I gotta ask. As someone who traditionally does not enjoy much PvP, is there a fair amount to do in Ark for PvE players who will probably spend most of their time soloing?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Xavier434 posted:

I realize that this is a survival game, but I heard that it also has PvE servers so I gotta ask. As someone who traditionally does not enjoy much PvP, is there a fair amount to do in Ark for PvE players who will probably spend most of their time soloing?

Build bases, train dinos, fight raid boss/bosses. It's kind of all pointless if it's not in service of killing the unworthy.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I messed around on a PvE server, but there's definitely a lot less to do since you don't get your stuff destroyed and a lot less communication since you don't have to wonder if the person you just spotted is coming to kill you or help. I think the Primitive-Only servers seems pretty cool for a PvE RP Stone-age chill time with some friends or solo and then hopping on PvP server to build a goon empire. I might give that Primitive server a shot one of these nights, I like the thought of no guns, but I also don't want to miss out on the sci-fi tier they mentioned in a chat once so there's some potential for playing across multiple servers here moreso than an MMO, IMO, for different experiences.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xavier434 posted:

PvE is basically minecraft

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

I think the Primitive-Only servers seems pretty cool for a PvE RP Stone-age chill time with some friends or solo and then hopping on PvP server to build a goon empire. I might give that Primitive server a shot one of these nights, I like the thought of no guns, but I also don't want to miss out on the sci-fi tier they mentioned in a chat once so there's some potential for playing across multiple servers here moreso than an MMO, IMO, for different experiences.
It seems to be going pretty well. Nice not having to worry about your base being wiped while you're at work or sleeping. We already have a mumble subchannel and I'm gonna be starting up a PGS thread soon.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 8, 2015

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Whoever decided caves need to be made of tiny ledges in a game where glitching the physics engine is as easy as 'press w' is a HUGE BUGCUNT MOTHERBITCH ASSFUCK COKGOBBLE FUCKFACE BITCH.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

turtlecrunch posted:

comfy house comfy life

turtlecrunch posted:

What remained when I got back to my house today :911: The panels were part of a perimeter fence I had started on. The crumbled gray stub thing is the foundation of my house.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

What remained when I got back to my house today :911: The panels were part of a perimeter fence I had started on. The crumbled gray stub thing is the foundation of my house.

get stone tier

it helps alot.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Q&A posted:

Yep! We’ve definitely got plans for decorations, as well as furniture, including the animations to go along with using that furniture which will be coming later on! However in the next few weeks you guys can expect to see fully pixel by pixel paintable signs!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/530646715635880409/
Paintable signs were pretty cool in Reign of Kings, looking forward to it.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
If some of you dudes are looking for a private server to play on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730177

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

TeeMerk posted:

get stone tier

it helps alot.

I got it, I set up a new cheapo house far away from all the little ruined huts on the coast so I can gather mats. There is a guy living in the middle of a swamp below me but that's the only other soul around, and he didn't come out at all today. Little by little I learn...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xavier434 posted:

Absolutely. Pvp is fun sometimes but the way it's currently implemented is kind of lovely. There's really no reason to attack someone unless you just want to be a dick. There's just nothing worth stealing. Someone's blueprint collection is about the most valuable thing I can think of. Otherwise you spend tons of materials to make explosives and the chances of you getting a net gain is basically nil. Not to mention resources wasted during their inevitable retaliation.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 9, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Absolutely. Pvp is fun sometimes but the way it's currently implemented is kind of lovely. There's really no reason to attack someone unless you just want to be a dick.

This is exactly how I feel about pvp in this game. It's fun if you're the one doing the destroying because it's something to do besides harvesting or taming, but it's pointless and mostly a dick move, especially on a server with normal harvesting/taming rates. It's okay if you're able to defend against an attack, but unless you're in a big tribe that happens to always have people on it seems like 99% of pvp occurs on sleeping characters and their houses/dinos.

Just sort of obnoxious. I get it to be sure, but it's not super fun for all involve.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I'm hoping this "Survival of the Fittest" mode they've been teasing will provide some more structured PvP.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
In regard to PvP: There is a clan on my server of Japanese dudes who night raid everyone else on the server except their neighbors. When I counter attacked them they had an absolutely ridiculous amount of supplies from all the raids that they had done- Stolen guns, armor, close to fifty saddles, piles and piles of resources that they didn't make, etc. One good metric to bring their raiding to scale- They had over 300 electronics stockpiled without at any point going into the ocean or trading with anyone.

Raiding is totally profitable when you hit people who don't think that they're going to be raided. The big mistake that they made that lost them everything was that they would actively kill people's pets for saddles that they didn't need. If they didn't kill pets, most of the people in the server would be content to just kill them if they came near but otherwise leave them be.

Instead, three different tribes with a total of about 16 people all went into war production and gave me a pile of 60 grenades within an hour and a half with the mission statement of 1) killing all of their pets 2) crippling their production and 3) destroying all their supplies.

I subcontracted and had a team of low level players to carry away my loot to a stash point a nice distance off while I protected them from the Japanese dudes. They got some blueprints and other bits and baubles, but I came away from it with maybe 50% of the resources that they had stolen from everyone else as my pay.

They actually got my subcontractor's names because he got stuck in their wall and in a pit in their base and I killed him twice to get him out of it, but he didn't clean up his body. A few hours after the raid they went on a random raiding spree just hitting all their neighbors that they previously didn't raid. They saw his name when they were raiding his base and actually stopped attacking because they thought he died trying to protect them. He took advantage of that and just lied through his teeth saying, "Yeah, I died a bunch of times, but I couldn't get the guy's name because he was killing me with a dino."

And I did all of this while 3 of the 6 were online. They were just trying to raid someone else while I broke into their base. I had to drag their offline members out of the base so that I wouldn't blow them up with grenades while kool aid manning through their walls. :v:

Commoners fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
This particular patch note interests me:

- Approximate 50% Dedicated Server performance gain

Maybe this will resolve rubber-banding on official servers.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like raiding is only profitable at low levels when you can conceivably steal something you can't yet make. Unfortunately by the time you can make what you need to raid, you're probably better off just farming for more materials. The pvp story posted above is cool because it was the ideal Ark pvp situation. A group of guys being dicks getting their comeuppance. Otherwise your other choice is to be the group of dicks.

That said I find it to be very fun to exploit weaknesses in bases and infiltrate them as a solo character. So far I've only had one major success (foiled by other goons inadvertently) but drat did it feel badass.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 10, 2015

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

It's important to remember that in a survival game, raiding isn't really about getting stuff. I mean, sure, it's nice when you do, but the real point of raiding is denial of resources to the other guy (presumably your potential rivals, though goons being goons we end up raiding everyone anyway). Stuff you take, dinos you kill, etc, is time taken away from them that they have to make up for, and time is the most important resource of all in a game like this. Take their things, and they have to spend more time in order to build up again. Of course, if you do it poorly, a la the Chinese tribe on 82, well, then you get counter-raided next to immediately and lose it all.

So basically, yeah, you're almost always going to be at a net loss when raiding some dude's base if you're just counting pure resources, but if that dude was someone who might/would have/already attacked you, you gain a lot by taking him out anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Honestly, the whole "no PvP, just raiding when no one is on" is the same problem I have with Rust. Might as well just make it a PvE game where your poo poo disappears every few days. I don't have a good solution, and I don't think there is one. I brought this up in the Rust thread a few weeks ago and mentioned Eve's "reinforced mode" where a base goes invulnerable for X hours and then can be finished off. That brings its own set of problems, but at least its something.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Nahrix posted:

I was going to run one for some friends, then read minimum 6 GB to 8 GB memory to start, expect about 4-8 GB memory per player consumed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wish I could have an opinion about PvP but I don't since I can't even make it to goon cave w/o dying.

Games fun

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Nahrix posted:

I've been out for a little while on vacation, probably going to get super murdered by wild dinos when I get back because I'm expecting them to still be harmless. Playing solo was so different than the official servers before.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Day 2 at new house, no other players seen, life is good. Guy down in the swamp parked his raptor outside his house so I know he's alive.

Found this in the forest...

There was a white one near there too but it got duped into chasing a parasaur a thousand miles across the map.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Was riding a raptor and found a poor bastard trying to pick a fight on foot. Ended up chasing him and his only way out was going prone and crawling under a rock overhang I couldn't get around. All he left was a piece of poop.

I scared him so much he poo poo himself. This is the best game.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
A few weeks ago I was hit with the pooping bug where you are just constantly making GBS threads about once every five seconds. It was an appropriate moment because I just ate a bunch of berries and was fighting a sarco with a slingshot, and it was the first time I had ever seen one. Running around making GBS threads myself while being attacked by a giant crocodile, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how is that a bug? stop eating random fruit you find on the ground