Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wow. They're actually going there. Like I jokingly thought Wellick was giving off some serious 50 Shades vibes towards Elliot last week, but turns out... that's actually what's happening. He actually wants to gently caress Elliot.

"poo poo. I'm going to have to let him hug me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He is really committed to his plan!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:stare:

That about sums it up. This show is a loving ride, y'all.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm confused about the conversation between Tyrell and his wife at the end.

Is the woman we see at the beginning or her husband the candidate for CTO? Tyrell's wife asks about whether "she" is going to get the job, but Tyrell says something about the husband being "vetted" by the board.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I'm confused about the conversation between Tyrell and his wife at the end.

Is the woman we see at the beginning or her husband the candidate for CTO? Tyrell's wife asks about whether "she" is going to get the job, but Tyrell says something about the husband being "vetted" by the board.

I don't think there's any need for spoiler text given that the episode has already aired.

I think Tyrell initially thought the wife was the candidate because he saw her at the office, so that's what he told his wife. After his successful bit of :quagmire:Corporate Espionage:quagmire:, he learned that the real candidate was her husband, thus the clarification.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Spergatory posted:

I don't think there's any need for spoiler text given that the episode has already aired.

I think Tyrell initially thought the wife was the candidate because he saw her at the office, so that's what he told his wife. After his successful bit of :quagmire:Corporate Espionage:quagmire:, he learned that the real candidate was her husband, thus the clarification.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Show's still OK. I'm glad that the Refusal of the Call (it would be nice to be a part of the normal society, after all, etc. etc.) lasted only one episode.

I'm still not sure if I'm up for more than one season.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Going to spoiler tag this, even though its just supposition.

This is seems to be Fight Hack Club.

Elliot and Mr. Robot are the same person there were many clues previously but in this episode their were a few solid hints that Mr. Robot doesn't exist and is just a figment of Elliot's insanity. E.g. Darlene going to his apartment for instructions, Mr Robot appearing at Elliot's office yet nobody seemingly able to see him. The whole take down Evil Corp plan is all Elliot's.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I picked up the exact same vibe.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ukle posted:

Elliot and Mr. Robot are the same person there were many clues previously but in this episode their were a few solid hints that Mr. Robot doesn't exist and is just a figment of Elliot's insanity. E.g. Darlene going to his apartment for instructions, Mr Robot appearing at Elliot's office yet nobody seemingly able to see him. The whole take down Evil Corp plan is all Elliot's.

We've been talking about this for a while and I think we have yet to see Mr Robot do anything real or be directly acknowledged by another person. I though Darlene was fake as well since she was the one who always prompted Elliot to do something but I guess this episode kind of disproved that.

Between the scene with the homeless guy and the BDSM it seems like USA has started to muscle into HBO territory.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
This show can't decide if it wants to be about plot or character, so ends up being about neither. Plus without the lead actor - who is too good for it - the show would fall apart. I think I'll pass on this one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahah seeya homie.

Seriously this show is kicking so many goals. NotaSkarsgård is loving brilliant...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

As if there is anything better to watch right now.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

As if there is anything better to watch right now.

Zoo is kind of completely balls to the wall nuts and worth a watch, even if its just The Happening but with animals instead of plants but has a cast and crew that realise the whole premise is loving absurd.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ukle posted:

Zoo is kind of completely balls to the wall nuts and worth a watch, even if its just The Happening but with animals instead of plants but has a cast and crew that realise the whole premise is loving absurd.

First I've heard of it but I'll check it out lest I rebound into Under the Dome.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ukle posted:

The show is influenced by Fight Club in so many ways that the twist ending would be Mr Robot actually being a different person than Eliot. I'm not complaining either, I loved Fight Club and this show's done a great job using it's influences for it's own thing so far.

Speaking of influences, the Evil Corp exec dude is totally Patrick Bateman.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Elliot's 'Normal Life' montage is the funniest thing I've seen all week, and I've spent the past two days binge-watching Parks and Rec (which, to be clear, is also very funny). The color saturation, the slow motion, the loving slurping sounds when Elliot is drinking the latte, the fact that Gideon just seemed confused and slightly frightened by the sudden shift... it was just priceless.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
That scene in the bar is the thickest dose of "yo mr. robot ain't real" we've had yet.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, this show is dominated by those "medium close-up with character isolated at extreme edge of frame" shots. I kind of love how on the nose it is. Also: opening sequence with Wellick? Was loving great.

Opposing Farce posted:

That scene in the bar is the thickest dose of "yo mr. robot ain't real" we've had yet.

The show is telegraphing it so hard it's practically explicit. I'm just going to assume it's true until proven otherwise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hope his friend and boyfriend tell Elliot whats happened in the next episode rather than it get dragged out and the only reason it didn't happen in this episode was their panic over it

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also: opening sequence with Wellick? Was loving great.

I think it's interesting that in both episodes since the pilot the title has come up over Wellick, not Elliot. I don't know that there's anything to read into there but if the trend continues I'll have to assume it's significant, at least thematically if not necessarily as some kind of foreshadowing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

To me, the main thing that sells it is the rest of fsociety's reaction to Elliot. Like, the first time he goes there, they're all just kind of side-eyeing him like they aren't sure who he is. The second time he pops in, they greet him with reverence. Not just like high-fives or "YEAH BRO" camaraderie, but like he's the most amazing loving thing they've ever seen. The kind of awe usually reserved for celebrities or cult leaders. It happened again this episode, when Elliot showed up and they just kind of automatically stopped what they were doing and went and cleared a space for him without even being asked. They ignore their actual leader but they treat Elliot like he's the loving second coming? Yeah, no, I'm not buying it. Elliot is their leader, and they reacted weird in the pilot because that was the first time they'd ever seen him in person and they had no loving clue who he was.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Opposing Farce posted:

I thought the office scene showed that more. If that actually had happened in that environment everyone would be staring, not just a short glance from someone walking by who could easily have been looking at the injuries visible on the side of the head she approached from, or even just a curious glance wondering why he was standing there and not sitting down.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wasn't there a guy in the back looking at them? I can't remember if he was staring at just Elliot or both of them.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Its a weird thing that there was this moment where wellick reassures his wife by talking danish to her but like they just subtitled it in english the same way as the rest of the conversation and you might not even notice theyre talking different languages to begin with. Strange

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Would a VP have ready access to the corporate goon squad? Doesn't a corporation that size have hundreds of VPs ? My immersion~~

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Vodos posted:

Would a VP have ready access to the corporate goon squad? Doesn't a corporation that size have hundreds of VPs ? My immersion~~

You underestimate just how wealthy some of the large multinational corporations are.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

I thought the office scene showed that more. If that actually had happened in that environment everyone would be staring, not just a short glance from someone walking by who could easily have been looking at the injuries visible on the side of the head she approached from, or even just a curious glance wondering why he was standing there and not sitting down.

Yeah I thought office and then bar was like the last 5% confirmation of the durdening I needed

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Get this, Mr Robot isn't Elliot's imaginary delusion friend, he's actually Wellick's imaginary delusion friend!

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
I didn't expect such a lovely episode so early in a series that had such a strong start but I'm not gonna drop it yet, I'll be watching episode 4 with zero expectations. At least it's better than anything else on basic cable right now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

pricklypie posted:

I didn't expect such a lovely episode so early in a series that had such a strong start but I'm not gonna drop it yet, I'll be watching episode 4 with zero expectations. At least it's better than anything else on basic cable right now.

I thought this episode was better than the last.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015

James Woods Fan posted:

I thought this episode was better than the last.

Same. So many great things this episode even without including butt sex and pregnant bdsm.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I liked the first two episodes, but it's dawned on me that the show is just pieces of other writing. Elliott's internal monologue is exactly the same tone as Dexter's internal monologue, even though his outer tone isn't. The main villain is just Patrick Bateman. And of course there's the Tyler Durden thing. It's really distracting, moreso because I thought the third episode was boring. I'll keep watching though.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I really hope at some point he gets to put an axe through someone's skull :allears:

This show is really good, and totally insane I'm constantly impressed how they get most of the technical details correct allowing for a bit of Hollywood license. Installing that hidden super-user on the phone was pretty loving detailed for a TV show.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Its a weird thing that there was this moment where wellick reassures his wife by talking danish to her but like they just subtitled it in english the same way as the rest of the conversation and you might not even notice theyre talking different languages to begin with. Strange
Well, I didn't, because I know neither of these apparently two languages. Which were they? Danish and...?

Similarly, uh, any nerd translated the Chinese in the previous episode?

Crankit posted:

Get this, Mr Robot isn't Elliot's imaginary delusion friend, he's actually Wellick's imaginary delusion friend!
I still stand by that *Elliot* is Wellick's imaginary friend. Mr Robot is Wellick's imaginary friend's imaginary friend.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
If this is dexter then doakes better pick up the pace, that show was excruciatingly awful as soon as he ate it. Also lumberjack elliott is legit

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
The Dexter argument is pretty dumb. Inner monologue is a device that's been hundreds of things, might as well accuse the show of being just like Peep Show.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This show has a LOT of similarities to Dexter though. Not that that is a bad thing though. At least 3 of the seasons of Dexter were some of the best TV I have ever seen.

I hope this show keeps up it's momentum, but I don't see any sign of it turning bad yet, this episode was a bit more flat than the last too, but that's definitely not a reason to discard it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
His dumb friend better go to him for help with her hacking problem. But she won't because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

meristem posted:

Well, I didn't, because I know neither of these apparently two languages. Which were they? Danish and...?

Similarly, uh, any nerd translated the Chinese in the previous episode?

I still stand by that *Elliot* is Wellick's imaginary friend. Mr Robot is Wellick's imaginary friend's imaginary friend.

He speaks swedish and she danish

• Locked thread