Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would like to know moe about La Samourai http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-le-samourai-alain-delon/3883474?ean=0037429208526#productInfoTabs as I am thinking about getting it but can't seem to find somewhere to see it first. I am thinking of calling my local rental place tomorrow.

Input goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Herr Tog posted:

I would like to know moe about La Samourai http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-le-samourai-alain-delon/3883474?ean=0037429208526#productInfoTabs as I am thinking about getting it but can't seem to find somewhere to see it first. I am thinking of calling my local rental place tomorrow.

Input goons?

I checked it out from the library and liked it quite a bit. It's a somewhat slow-paced and quiet hitman revenge film (if you've seen Ghost Dog, it basically has the same plot) that has a very cool atmosphere to it. There's a scene near the beginning at the police station where a detective is frantically but deliberately interrogating the hitman and his girlfriend and trying to stay on top of the investigation into a killing that sticks with me. Between that and Army of Shadows I became a Melville fan pretty easily.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Discount Viscount posted:

I checked it out from the library and liked it quite a bit. It's a somewhat slow-paced and quiet hitman revenge film (if you've seen Ghost Dog, it basically has the same plot) that has a very cool atmosphere to it. There's a scene near the beginning at the police station where a detective is frantically but deliberately interrogating the hitman and his girlfriend and trying to stay on top of the investigation into a killing that sticks with me. Between that and Army of Shadows I became a Melville fan pretty easily.

forgot about my awesome public library! and that does sound awesome! Thanks

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It's also very similar to Anton Corbijn's The American. If you like that then you'll enjoy La Samourai.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

I omitted The Third Man, Army of Shadows, and Le Cercle Rouge for obvious reasons (and to not rub salt in the wounds), but if you can track them down, they're absolutely essential.

See also: Last Year at Marienbad

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I feel like I'm the exact perfect audience for Le Samourai but it just left me cold. It did make me appreciate Ghost Dog more, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I liked Le Samourai. Although, Army of Shadows is my favorite of Melville's films, followed closely by Le Cercle Rouge.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I blind bought Army of Shadows and loved it. Was planning on picking up Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge but I didn't know they were out of print. Le Cercle Rouge appears to be available for rent on itunes so maybe I'll just watch it there in the meantime.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
They sent my package out yesterday at 8 :13 PM and I received it at 10am today. That's mind blowing for being free shipping

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Le Samourai is probably my favourite Melville but I think Army of Shadows is his best.

I grabbed The Third Man on blu ray before it went OOP and now I have two copies (one on dvd). Been super lazy about selling it, though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm a big fan of Two-Lane Blacktop. I haven't seen either The Shooting or Ride in the Whirlwind. Is that set any good?

I also like westerns.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm a big fan of Two-Lane Blacktop. I haven't seen either The Shooting or Ride in the Whirlwind. Is that set any good?

I also like westerns.

I was not a fan of The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind, but I feel like maybe I'd appreciate them more on a re-watch. They're apocalyptic westerns about existential doom, and most of the running time is spent watching dudes wander aimlessly in the desert, if that sounds like your thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

... most of the running time is spent watching dudes wander aimlessly in the desert, if that sounds like your thing.

You've said the magic words!

But seriously, I've been surprised to find out recently that this is actually my thing. I loved Stagecoach but there wasn't quite enough desert wandering for my taste.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Blast Fantasto posted:

I also like westerns.

I liked The Shooting but was lukewarm toward Ride In the Whirlwind, I think I need to rewatch Whirlwind however. They are both minimalist and are not what you expect in a traditional western. It's not a Criterion release, but you might look into Cockfighter. The chicken fighting scenes are real, and brutal, but it's a solid movie and would make a good companion piece to Two Lane Blacktop

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You've said the magic words!

But seriously, I've been surprised to find out recently that this is actually my thing. I loved Stagecoach but there wasn't quite enough desert wandering for my taste.

Look into El Topo if you haven't.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Got my Au Hasard Balthazar and Watership Down, today. Really excited to see the latter in non-YouTube quality version. (Please, please, please, God, let them do The Plague Dogs!)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

Look into El Topo if you haven't.

Its been on my radar for some time now but I haven't run across it on the streaming services I subscribe to. I'll have to make a more specific effort to track it down.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Its been on my radar for some time now but I haven't run across it on the streaming services I subscribe to. I'll have to make a more specific effort to track it down.

The Jodorowsky box set is worth owning if only for the fact that there is absolutely nothing else like El Topo or The Holy Mountain.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

K. Waste posted:

(Please, please, please, God, let them do The Plague Dogs!)

This would also be my kokoro wish.

Wikipedia:
"In 2005, Australian distributor Big Sky Video, released the full theatrical cut of the film ... sourced from Martin Rosen's private print. This is probably the only full cut of the film in existence aside from the rare Thorn VHS and the original master."

Hurry Criterion! :ohdear:

suggestions@criterion.com

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Gotta keep it relatively cheap this year, so I sprang for Eraserhead, La Dolce Vita, Kagemusha, Sword of Doom, and The Palm Beach Story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I really liked Tokyo Drifter, would I like Branded to Kill?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's nothing I'm dying to get right now, even though I want to eventually own several to replace DVDs. And most of what I want is on Hulu or in my Netflix disc queue. Although, I would have ordered Day for Night if it wasn't an August release.

I'm going through Criterion's channel on Hulu and really enjoying going through the films without blind buying.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

May have been mentioned already, but I saw someone asked recently: the Barnes & Noble sale will go until July 27th, so plenty of time still to order stuff.

Speaking of out of print titles, I now badly want the Robocop Criterion release, which I didn't even know existed until the sale prompted me to go through their online catalog. Apparently though you can get it pretty easily used for ~$30-40, or $60 for a still sealed copy, so it's an attainable goal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of out of print titles, I now badly want the Robocop Criterion release, which I didn't even know existed until the sale prompted me to go through their online catalog. Apparently though you can get it pretty easily used for ~$30-40, or $60 for a still sealed copy, so it's an attainable goal.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a copy at a local used DVD store around these parts for cheaper than that, but it could have been Armageddon or The Rock. If I do happen to find it, I'll send you a PM.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the features from the Criterion release of Robocop are also on the recent Blu-ray release, which is currently $5.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a copy at a local used DVD store around these parts for cheaper than that, but it could have been Armageddon or The Rock. If I do happen to find it, I'll send you a PM.
Oh awesome, don't go out of your way for it though. This is one of those things I didn't even know I wanted.

Slate Action posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the features from the Criterion release of Robocop are also on the recent Blu-ray release, which is currently $5.
Yeah but that Criterion cover looks so cool!

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I was looking over the list of OOP Criterions just last night and man, most of them would be Day 1 full-price buys if they ever reissued them. Grand Illusion, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Ran, the like 6 Godards and Melvilles that went out of print, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Bank Dick, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Diary of a Country Priest, Chungking Express.

It's a big ol' poop situation is what it is.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If I really liked Tokyo Drifter, would I like Branded to Kill?

I thought Branded to Kill was the better movie. You lose the colour but I thought it had a more interesting plot and was funnier.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I was looking over the list of OOP Criterions just last night and man, most of them would be Day 1 full-price buys if they ever reissued them. Grand Illusion, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Ran, the like 6 Godards and Melvilles that went out of print, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Bank Dick, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Diary of a Country Priest, Chungking Express.

It's a big ol' poop situation is what it is.

The bank dick kind of sucks, there's so many other comedies in the collection that have aged much better and don't feel like a random collection of scenes put together by a crotchety old WC Fields.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Nah, I still dig it. Might be a family thing, though - it's one of my dad's favorites, and we used to watch his VHS of it a ton when I was a kid. I think it's the Ur-Fields film in a way.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think it's one of his best. :colbert:

Although, you can buy a pack of ten of his from Universal for half the price.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Maybe I need to watch some of his other films, I've only seen the one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've got my cart down from $400-$300. I still can't afford it all though. :smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Maybe I need to watch some of his other films, I've only seen the one.

Never Give a Sucker an Even Break is fascinating. It's very postmodern. It's basically Fields trying to pitch his ridiculous new script to the studio and it's intercut with what the film would look like.

The Old Fashioned Way has Fields re-creating his old juggling act with cigar boxes. There's also his short film The Fatal Glass of Beer, which is great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aty60VglUyg

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
For $116 after tax:

Time Bandits
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Rififi
Last Emperor
Design of Living
Life Aquatic

:perfect:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Grabbed Throne of Blood and Rashomon from Costco for 20 each. Haven't seen ToB, how does it rate?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I would say it's one of the best filmed Shakespeare adaptations ever with tremendous performances from Mifune and Isuzu Yamada.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sweet. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Fassbender Macbeth so this should be a good way to prep.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I asked my friend who works at B&N to pick up The Fisher King for me. I can't even walk inside the store. Last year I spent like $600. I am powerless in the face of temptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hibernator posted:

I asked my friend who works at B&N to pick up The Fisher King for me. I can't even walk inside the store. Last year I spent like $600. I am powerless in the face of temptation.

I did why I could to hammer down my cart. Still settled at 250 after tax.