Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

If Russia is not in the coalition & is not the subject of someone in the coalition, declaring on them will not trigger a coalition war.

Jsor posted:

Of course, if you lose enough troops/manpower to Russia, there's no guarantee the coalition won't smell blood.

Nice. Onwards to glory then. And yeah its possible the coalition might jump at me given the chance but I have the greatest army in Europe and I will drown my own people in blood rather than slow down my conquests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

wrt najd chat, jihad was pretty easy before common sense; once you got off the ground (conquering arabia), which required the usual amount of luck for a 'small nation surrounded by countries that hate you', it was just about... conquering, conquering, conquering. conquer india, conquer africa (tons of terrible provinces = cheap to core!), eventually pick a fight with otto mann and fight him too. always be at war with someone, if not someones; whenever you finish coring a set of provinces, you should be ready to finish a war to get another set of uncored provinces. until admin efficiency hits, coring times (and truces) are the limiting factor on expansion.

absolutely no idea how you'd do it in common sense. everything is so expensive now...

I managed to start a Najd game before the last patch to the beta patch and stuff had so much development it was impossible. Several provinces in Persia had +40 development. Might be a bit easier now, but still tough. India seems like it gets pretty developed too.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Is forming the Mughals as Timurids bugged? It's not giving me the Mughal ideas. I need that sweet core cost reduction.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do I lose the Revolution Target modifier if I change my gov type? Thinking of allowing revolutionary rebels, by triggering Aspiration for liberty, turn me into a constitutional republic if my heir turns up bad.

I guess there is no way to revert to revolutionary republic?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does anyone else think cultural conversion is a little... easy? The idea that England could expend four years effort and then everyone in Ireland considers themselves English seems... optimistic. (from the Imperial English point of view, anyway)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gort posted:

Does anyone else think cultural conversion is a little... easy? The idea that England could expend four years effort and then everyone in Ireland considers themselves English seems... optimistic. (from the Imperial English point of view, anyway)

"The beheadings will continue until everyone puts 'English' on the census."

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I managed to start a Najd game before the last patch to the beta patch and stuff had so much development it was impossible. Several provinces in Persia had +40 development. Might be a bit easier now, but still tough. India seems like it gets pretty developed too.

Can you disable Common Sense just to get rid of extra development in provinces? It's hard enough to conquer all that stuff without individual provinces' coring cost getting massively increased by the AI.

It'd be sad if it came to that though. I really like the changes and the game's better than it's ever been, but achievements like that really suffer from it.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen either in a colony now that you mention it.

that seems real dumb

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I just got done with an Ottomans game where I got the Master of Rum and unified Islam (which I thought was an achievement). I've decided to try something different and am now playing England. I'm ready for my first idea group but I don't know what to get. I've got some continental holdings in Brittany, and northern and southern France (beyond what you start with) and I'm not sure what direction to go. I think I want to use money from the colonies to fund expansion on the continent. Not sure what idea group to go for here though. Maritime for boats, exploration for early colonization, administration for coring costs? Should I get diplomacy or influence for the PU I'm about to force onto France?

e: Exploration as a first idea won't work, would it? I won't have the colonial range for a while. I guess what I really need is an explanation on how PU inheritance works. How likely is it that I'll even inherit France if I get it in a PU and feed it? Will its lucky nation status gently caress me over with that?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 10, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there some way to stop CoR from convertign my provinces? I'm the freaking Papal States and I got 2 provinces on the other side of Europe converting my poo poo and noone else is experiencing it. Cremona and Mantua just got flipped by Antwerpen and Thuringen.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

TTBF posted:

So I just got done with an Ottomans game where I got the Master of Rum and unified Islam (which I thought was an achievement). I've decided to try something different and am now playing England. I'm ready for my first idea group but I don't know what to get. I've got some continental holdings in Brittany, and northern and southern France (beyond what you start with) and I'm not sure what direction to go. I think I want to use money from the colonies to fund expansion on the continent. Not sure what idea group to go for here though. Maritime for boats, exploration for early colonization, administration for coring costs? Should I get diplomacy or influence for the PU I'm about to force onto France?

e: Exploration as a first idea won't work, would it? I won't have the colonial range for a while. I guess what I really need is an explanation on how PU inheritance works. How likely is it that I'll even inherit France if I get it in a PU and feed it? Will its lucky nation status gently caress me over with that?

I don't know if feeding a regular union junior is a good idea if you want to annex them. I don't know if it blocks normal integration but afaik province count (might be development now) is a direct -% to chance to inherit. I think it's just province size, the easiest way to check would be to load up Denmark at the start date. Not sure if the lucky modifier will be a minus to your inherit chance but it probably is. I just checked the wiki and it doesn't say anything about it but the information isn't complete, I've seen Austria with a +5% chance to inherit Hungary due to 'luck' and it doesn't say anything about it.

I read the wiki article on PUs last night and it just confused me.

Sweden starts lucky, though, so just load up a Denmark game and look at the modifiers I guess, or if Denmark's kept the union going just look at their regular country window.

There's a percent chance for you to inherit the country if the union is stable and you ruler dies. The bigger you are in comparison, your dip rep and I think a few other factors go into it, but you can see everything by hovering over the indicator. Should be on their country window. Unions also don't take into account your other vassals strength in relation to their liberty desire (Revoke the Privilegia vassals work the same way) according to the wiki, but it's france so they'll probably still be uppity.

I'm pretty sure Exploration + Dip Tech 7 and northern Ireland or Scotland will give you range to Greenland, and from there it's an easy hop to Newfoundland. You can also no CB Norway and/or Denmark for Iceland and do the same.

Maybe take influence second or third, depending on money, and feed France and other vassals as required?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I know it doesn't affect my game, but I can't help but feel disgusted when people just SAM their way through the achievements without even attempting them.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I feel disgusted when people actually care about achievements. You could come up with much better gimmick runs on your own if that was the point.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I thought Canada was supposed to have their own national ideas. I just formed them and still have boring old Colonial Ideas.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
It depends on the colonial area. I can't remember getting copper in the New World but you can certainly get it in a colony in Siberia.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

New Dev Diary. Random New World getting fixed. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-dev-diary-july-9th.868985/

Gitro posted:

I'm pretty sure Exploration + Dip Tech 7 and northern Ireland or Scotland will give you range to Greenland, and from there it's an easy hop to Newfoundland. You can also no CB Norway and/or Denmark for Iceland and do the same.

Maybe take influence second or third, depending on money, and feed France and other vassals as required?

I screwed myself over by claiming land I did not have the admin points to core, setting me back quite a bit. I'll be starting again and I'll probably go through Ireland or Scotland to the New World with exploration. I won't be able to take Influence right after due to them both being diplomatic though. Might just wait out AE on this game, grab Paris (currently in Burgundian hands) for the achievement and then restart with a new world/trade focus.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is there some way to stop CoR from convertign my provinces? I'm the freaking Papal States and I got 2 provinces on the other side of Europe converting my poo poo and noone else is experiencing it. Cremona and Mantua just got flipped by Antwerpen and Thuringen.

I'm in the exact same situation. Every religious center is working on my provinces, constantly flipping one of them. I've converted Milan back to Catholicism twice now and I even lost the effects of the counter-reformation a couple of years ago, but the heretics obviously didn't get the memo. :dawkins101:
Great Britain, France, Spain, Austria, Poland and Lithuania on the other hand have been completely untouched by the reformation. Supposedly they will stop working around 1650, but I don't understand why my provinces are so much more popular amongst the reformers compared to the much closer provinces of Austria/France/Poland.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Chickpea Roar posted:

I'm in the exact same situation. Every religious center is working on my provinces, constantly flipping one of them. I've converted Milan back to Catholicism twice now and I even lost the effects of the counter-reformation a couple of years ago, but the heretics obviously didn't get the memo. :dawkins101:
Great Britain, France, Spain, Austria, Poland and Lithuania on the other hand have been completely untouched by the reformation. Supposedly they will stop working around 1650, but I don't understand why my provinces are so much more popular amongst the reformers compared to the much closer provinces of Austria/France/Poland.

The answer is clear, conquer the religious center and counter-convert it. It's the duty of any true catholic.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
So I decided to overextend my Georgian march a little bit for the sake of pretty borders. I've spent easily 150 000 manpower putting down rebels, probably more. My entire army is playing peacekeeper in Georgia.

Oh god, I thought it was .1 unrest/%. They're still at 180% :negative:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Elman posted:

Can you disable Common Sense just to get rid of extra development in provinces? It's hard enough to conquer all that stuff without individual provinces' coring cost getting massively increased by the AI.

It'd be sad if it came to that though. I really like the changes and the game's better than it's ever been, but achievements like that really suffer from it.

I mean, common sense seems to have been about slowing down expansion and focusing more on internal development; losing a few 'be a huge megablob' achievements seems like both an inevitable cost and not that great a one.

if need be, they could always reduce the provinces required.

Back To 99 posted:

I feel disgusted when people actually care about achievements. You could come up with much better gimmick runs on your own if that was the point.

it's nice to have a hard, game-enforced set of challenges that everyone knows and can participate in. it's a community thing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

EU4 thread I need advice. What is the best way to become Netherlands in this new patch version?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Back To 99 posted:

Nah, a lot of these achievement gimmick runs are actually pretty good. Don't be all weird about achievements.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cheesetriangles posted:

EU4 thread I need advice. What is the best way to become Netherlands in this new patch version?

Create a custom nation called "Nederland" at the start of the game :)

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
New achievement idea:

"The Penis Mightier"
-Starting as Scotland, form Great Britain diplomatically.

:v:

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

cheesetriangles posted:

Start as any of the Dutch Minors that Burgundy has a PU with in 1444, get your independence supported by everyone in the entire world because every Great Power hates the poo poo out of Burgundy.

Seriously, it's a free alliance with France/Austria most games.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Cool idea: Max points custom nation with all of the best ideas, but limit yourself to only 1 console command per year

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kersch posted:

Cool idea: Max points custom nation with all of the best ideas, but limit yourself to only 1 console command per year

Can other people see my game mode?!?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kersch posted:

huh? Why would you use a console command at all?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I started a Poland game. I have a union with Lithuania. They usually have a stack of 20-25, I have a stack of almost 30. Are the pretender rebels that constantly spawn in Lithuania because of my leader dying? I get a stack of 6 pretender rebels when that happens but Lithuania gets 60. It's eating all my manpower. I've had zero for 50 years.

Is this just bad luck? Also, if I just let those pretender rebels go to town will I lose my union with Lithuania?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Beamed posted:

Your march got their units stuck in the middle of a war.
You accidentally gave the wrong province to the wrong vassal so you gotta get in there and do some province selling/trading.
Your stupid loving vassal is sitting there with their 40 stack army allowing that 12 stack of rebels to conquer their country one province at a time for some reason.
Your stupid loving vassal got their units stuck after a war and they're just sitting there taking attrition.
You've absolutely won a war but the AI won't accept your very reasonable peace treaty.
Your ally who is war leader has absolutely won a war but still won't loving peace out after 80%+ warscore when their goal is to take like a single province.
An ugly border happened somewhere in the world.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Make the colonization a lot more interesting by forcing Portugal and Spain to not take exploration first. :v:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

You accidentally gave the wrong province to the wrong vassal so you gotta get in there and do some province selling/trading.
Your stupid loving vassal is sitting there with their 40 stack army allowing that 12 stack of rebels to conquer their country one province at a time for some reason.
Your stupid loving vassal got their units stuck after a war and they're just sitting there taking attrition.
You've absolutely won a war but the AI won't accept your very reasonable peace treaty.
Your ally who is war leader has absolutely won a war but still won't loving peace out after 80%+ warscore when their goal is to take like a single province.

I just chalk that ai stuff to shoddy, drunken generals. Plus, my cheevos.

I should get an achievement for never using a console command. I can't believe how properly I play this game. Just the best.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I can't believe how properly I play this game. Just the best.
You are an inspiration to us all. :patriot:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Baronjutter posted:

you really use them that much? :psyduck: keep in mind that for every time you've gotten hosed over by a mechanic like that, there have been several situations where you've benefited immensely by the AI having gotten hosed over and you knowingly or unknowingly exploiting it. it can feel bullshit sometimes but it all balances out in the end.

Beamed posted:

he was making a joke

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We all play the game for different reasons. I can't even understand why anyone cares about achievements or ironman. It's just like downloading some mods for your skyline's city, you shape the game to your liking.

I've been trying to play more "legit" lately though. As in I only use the console a few times per game rather than per year. Still no interest in ironman or achievements though, I set my own goals.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No fault in people using console commands (my last singleplayer run had these ideas), I just think it's really silly to use broken game mechanics as your justification for it when they benefit you every bit as much as they hurt you.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I play on ironman for the added challenge and the cheevos are a neat way of adding some direction/goals to the sandbox-ish environment.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Is forming the Mughals as Timurids bugged? It's not giving me the Mughal ideas. I need that sweet core cost reduction.

From above. Anyone know if national ideas switching on forming a nation is bugged?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
When I switched to Romania yesterday my ideas switched over. It might just be Timurids/Mughals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

i cheat when i get bored

also iron should show up in NA and copper should show up in Mexico

• Locked thread