Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

rev1/2 are just too constrained by their portable limitations for me to really recommend
they have a very middling kinda overall feel to them 'cuz of that and don't have the wild highs stemming from core combat design like RE6 or the extremely tight campaign design of RE4

it's not that they're bad games, just.. not interesting, i guess?

REV2 is like, very very close to being a good game and i think if they designed it ground-up for consoles instead of for the vita then it'd legit be a good game because the major gripes i have with it are related to the combat not being highly responsive like previous console REs.

well, that and budget-related stuff but that wouldn't be as easily fixable as "headshots should explode heads"/"there should be limb damage/hit damage"

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Fereydun posted:

rev1/2 are just too constrained by their portable limitations for me to really recommend
they have a very middling kinda overall feel to them 'cuz of that and don't have the wild highs stemming from core combat design like RE6 or the extremely tight campaign design of RE4

it's not that they're bad games, just.. not interesting, i guess?

REV2 is like, very very close to being a good game and i think if they designed it ground-up for consoles instead of for the vita then it'd legit be a good game because the major gripes i have with it are related to the combat not being highly responsive like previous console REs.

well, that and budget-related stuff but that wouldn't be as easily fixable as "headshots should explode heads"/"there should be limb damage/hit damage"

I have no idea what you're talking about because Rev 2 WAS a console game first. Hell, the Vita version isn't even out yet.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Son Ryo posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about because Rev 2 WAS a console game first. Hell, the Vita version isn't even out yet.

it's very clearly designed ground up with vita limitations in mind. the UI is the most obvious example of it (lots of screen filling stuff you have to button press to get through individual pieces combined w/ huge text/pictures because it's gotta be readable on a smaller screen)
the old raid mode UI (the discs sat on top of the screen for a good couple of seconds and blocked your vision) and the files UI really show that stuff off, especially in comparison to REV1 HD's UI which was redone for consoles.

there's bells and whistles attached graphically but gameplay related stuff like enemies not goring or not showing up in large numbers during panic scenarios and general combat design is all stuff that's pretty clearly limited in manners that have no other explanation besides "probably designed for vita"

even the environments being extremely low detail v.s. the characters being much more detailed is a super vita/portable system kinda thing.

it's not like a "the game was originally made on vita and then ported over for consoles!" thing, just that they took into consideration the limitations of the vita when making the game since they knew it was going to come out on that system

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 20, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

abagofcheetos posted:

They must have some sort of licensing issue because the development was outsourced, because the DLC NEVER goes on sale either. lol if they think anyone is paying $20 for the two story DLCs...

The developer Slant Six closed in 2013. I doubt they were able to negotiate any deal regarding DLC since most contracted developers usually aren't an a position to go quid pro quo with a publisher beyond funding for the game's production.

The game did well for Capcom by shipping over 2.1 million copies. However, we don't know how well it sold at full price since it quickly ended up in the bargain bin.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Renoistic posted:

Rev2 is my favorite RE game. I played coop the first time through, though. The switching is OK even if you have to babysit the AI some.

Does Rev2 have real co-op like RE5 and 6? I avoided it because I was under the impression it was only for another mode or something.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Levantine posted:

Does Rev2 have real co-op like RE5 and 6? I avoided it because I was under the impression it was only for another mode or something.

I does have campaign co-op but asymmetrical - one player has a gun, the other has a torch and can only do melee attacks. From what I hear it's not really fun in the same way RE5 was.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think the fact that the characters play differently added a fun dynamic to the game. It is also great for people who might be interested in a horror game but can't/won't play shooters. I played the game with a friend who hadn't touched an action game since the PS1 and he had loads of fun using Moira to stun enemies with the flashlight or going nuts with the crowbar. It's not the same as the RE5 or RE6 coop but it definitely has its merits. Natalia should have gotten more offensive options, though. She's pretty worthless against most bosses even if she can point out weakpoints.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SaffronKit posted:

Hey folks, quick question to see if anyone else had similiar problems with Rev 2:

Just got it last night and jumped into Raid Mode (which I totally love and will probably sink many hours into), but I've been having the problem of my CPU maxing out when I load into certain levels and eventually making GBS threads itself into hard locking my computer. I've taken to playing in Windowed mode with my task manager up just to keep an eye on it so I can kind of pause the game to let the CPU settle when it happens, but it's getting kind of frustrating and annoying to deal with as if I'm not paying attention, whoops computer's hardlocked again!

All my graphics drivers are up to date, and my specs for this machine which I'm pretty sure surpass the minimum requirements for the game:

CPU: AMD FX 8100 eight core
8 GB of ram
Geforce GT 610

Has anyone else had these problems? Am I maybe just really dumb and my computer is just not good enough for handling this game?

I figured out the problem with the help of another goon.

Apparently because the game was using all 8 of my computer's cores, it would have so much CPU to work with it would use every single bit it could, causing it to choke.

If you have a similar problem to me and use windows 8, with the game open and in a menu, open up the Task Manager, go to More Details at the bottom to get the full menu, then go to the Details tab at the top of the task manage. Scroll down to find the Rev2 app. Right click on it and select 'Set Affinity'. If you have a bunch of cores, just unselect some of them, up to half at most, and click done. There, your problem is solved.

Most counter intuitive poo poo I've ever seen.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

abagofcheetos posted:

They must have some sort of licensing issue because the development was outsourced, because the DLC NEVER goes on sale either. lol if they think anyone is paying $20 for the two story DLCs...

It's me, I was that guy :negative:

but it was for the LP...so if anyone ever wants to see why ORC isn't fondly remembered, you can just watch the LP

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

I wish the ideas in ORC were used in something better.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ORC is such a horrible bait and switch. They got the SOCOM guys to do the game and they had Team Outbreak supervising, then promoted the game with stuff like players will have to take it slow and use the environment to avoid zombie hordes and use them to fight human enemies so it sounded so cool and then it turned out to be a linear 3rd person shooter with vague squad elements and zombie-come-here grenades.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

ORC is such a horrible bait and switch. They got the SOCOM guys to do the game and they had Team Outbreak supervising, then promoted the game with stuff like players will have to take it slow and use the environment to avoid zombie hordes and use them to fight human enemies so it sounded so cool and then it turned out to be a linear 3rd person shooter with vague squad elements and zombie-come-here grenades.

I'd honestly be okay with even what the game turned out to be if it weren't so painfully buggy, the story wasn't so pointless and barebones and every enemy in the game wasn't a giant bullet sponge that was completely unfun to fight.

I still honestly think it's the worst RE game, worse than Survivor, Dead Aim and even Gaiden.

Risky
May 18, 2003

RoanHorse posted:

I wish the ideas in ORC were used in something better.

Story-line was amazing. Absolutely love the Umbrella Security Service but the whole game was flushed down the toilet the minute it was developed by the SOCOM people.

I had some fun with it though.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
The fact that ORC was what it was and not an actual Outbreak 3 like I wanted from what was initially teased of the game I never got over the disappointment to pick up the game and frankly I'm glad I didn't. Apparently it was poo poo although I don't know how since I could never even pick the game up on sale to sate my curiosity for poo poo games because it never bloody goes on sale.

also RE: Revelations 2, just gonna add one more voice to the "it's actually good" crowd. I was incredibly surprised and thoroughly impressed at how actually good it was, the writing in particular was actually unironically enjoyable. Normally RE games are just written badly and then become hilarious after the fact while Revelations 2 seems like it was written to be deliberately funny and actually succeeded which is remarkable to me because I never thought "good writing" would be something I'd end up saying about an RE game. Also Moira's characterisation was surprisingly believable and Barry is the best dad who ever dadjoked in a video game. Gameplay wise it was competent executed and different enough mechanically to be a little interesting but nothing world-beating going on there.

At the time when I played Rev 2, nothing new had caught my attention for a while and I was wondering if my interest in games in general was just waning and then I played Rev 2 and it kinda totally snapped me out of that funk and reminded me that poo poo worth playing totally still gets made. Not saying it's the greatest thing in the world but I definitely appreciate what it represents in a lot of respects. A reasonable business model for shorter games presented episodically, actual half-decent writing in my RE games and the continued inclusion of the somewhat inspired but incredibly silly Raid Mode.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The best part about Revelations 2 is that it's episodic game play that actually felt episodic! I was looking forward to next wednesday to see how the story would unfold. Literally nobody else that does it's game in episodic form has put them out in a regular schedule.

It takes loving Capcom of all people to show them how to do it right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its me, I'm the one who liked ORC and would buy a sequel.

It is also not a good game at all for just a staggering list of reasons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I enjoyed playing ORC multiplayer for a time, but I really just want Outbreak HD.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Its me, I'm the one who liked ORC and would buy a sequel.

It is also not a good game at all for just a staggering list of reasons.

I enjoyed Orc as well though I never got to try the echo six campaign.

My main gripe with it was the sheer bullet spongyness of the bosses.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alteisen posted:

I enjoyed Orc as well though I never got to try the echo six campaign.

My main gripe with it was the sheer bullet spongyness of the bosses.

The DLC campaign is so, so, so much worse with that it isn't even funny.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The DLC campaign is so, so, so much worse with that it isn't even funny.

Yea I've seen videos, especially the last boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody tried using the reverse-engineered Resident Evil Outbreak server?

I miss the poo poo out of that game. I think I'm going to try to see if I can get it working.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah. Works a treat.

Can be a bit freeze-prone though not gonna lie.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I miss the poo poo out of that game. I think I'm going to try to see if I can get it working.

I haven't played it personally, but I've watched a lot of streams of it. Seems to work pretty well and it looks like there's a solid community.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah. Works a treat.

Can be a bit freeze-prone though not gonna lie.

Sweet, I can totally stand some jank as long as its mostly playable. I miss that game.

Only works with the Japanese version though, right? Is it hard to figure out the menus?

E: I think I found a translation patch?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 1, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Only works with the Japanese version though, right? Is it hard to figure out the menus?

E: I think I found a translation patch?

It does only work on the Japanese versions of the game but yeah as you've said there's translation patches out there and those also totally work with the online servers, so use those if you need to. Patches exist for both games and iirc both now have working servers.

Here's a guide on how to get this all going with an emulator if need be: http://dudley.re/outbreak/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just learned about REZero HD. Well it was kinda spoiled several months back but it's good to have it confirmed.

I'm always gonna love that game, no matter what anyone says. Definitely gonna buy this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was cleaning house in preparation to move, and, long story short, I have an extra copy of disc 2 of Code Veronica for the GameCube. Would anyone like it? I know that it is half a game, but I believe that I have it because I gave away the first disc years ago due to thinking this one lost beyond finding, so someone needing just one disc is not without precedent.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Are you trying to sell it, or just give it away?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Maybe the guy who took the first disc will want the second one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Today's random discovery: there's an Ada Wong in Culver City, California, with an eponymous business as a massage therapist.

I bet whoever answers her phone is really tired of Resident Evil jokes at this point.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I stole this post from the retro gaming thread.

The Kins posted:

As part of the promotional efforts for the HD version of Resident Evil Zero, Capcom dug up the N64 prototype version and recorded some clips - the clearest we've ever seen of this version - to compare against the Gamecube and HD versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDZBRhjy_ME

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

Thanks for posting this! Am I crazy, or does the Remaster of 0 look way nicer than the Remaster of REmake?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

If only Rev 2 had campaign co-op online. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rikimaru posted:

This is awesome. IIRC, the only real footage that has existed of the N64 version has been blurry video taken from TGS and a few random videos from the late 90s/early 2000s with atrocious bit rates. It looks really drat good, considering the hardware it was running on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rikimaru posted:

I have never seen the prototype of RE0. It looks rather good for the time, although Rebecca's beret looks like a big block stuck on her head (both in-game and in the menu portrait). It's quite interesting that the only real changes for the protagonists (from a cosmetic perspective) were Rebecca losing the beret and Billy's tattoo being recolored.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Thanks for posting this! Am I crazy, or does the Remaster of 0 look way nicer than the Remaster of REmake?

it does because they still have the original assets for all the backgrounds and stuff. it's really clear in the 1080p shots where everything is much more detailed/crisp vs how messy the REmake backgrounds looked

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are SO many games of that era I wish could be updated like that...

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rikimaru posted:

That might sound weird, but I feel oddly nostalgic for the graphics of the prototype. I guess that the old pre-2000 blocky characters have some sort of retro charm now (also it basically looks a lot like RE3 which is my favorite installment in the series).

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
There's a lot more detail on the characters too. Looks good!

I love watching the prototype stuff, is there any more video of it? I didn't realize it was so close to the final version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

WitchFetish posted:

That might sound weird, but I feel oddly nostalgic for the graphics of the prototype. I guess that the old pre-2000 blocky characters have some sort of retro charm now (also it basically looks a lot like RE3 which is my favorite installment in the series).

I would rather play the prototype than the HD remake, honestly.