Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy a nexus 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quixotic1 posted:

My Galaxy Nexus is on its deathbed, if I have a budget of 500 is there something our there worth getting right now or is there something coming out soon in the pipeline? Band 12 would be great as I have no reception at work building. Also would plan to use it for 2yrs or so.
In seconds of googling I found this list:

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Don't know if that's accurate or that helps but thought I should pass it along anyway. I am guessing literally anything will seem like a huge upgrade from a really old Nexus but that list at least cuts it down somewhat.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Buy a nexus 6

Seems like even though this thing has been out for a while, my local TMobile still has to order it. Do they keep anything in stock??

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

spiralbrain posted:

Seems like even though this thing has been out for a while, my local TMobile still has to order it. Do they keep anything in stock??

They sell the at bestbuy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting the WiFi notification on and off, and when it comes up, it drops the volume on my music way down. Is there any way to make it stay on WiFi when that's an option? Or just a way to make it not drop music volume on notifications?

E:LG G2, lollipop.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Both my friend and I have identical Nexus 6's, and we were recently in a movie theater together. As we were leaving, I noticed that my signal was at 2-3 bars with a ! (no data connection), and his was at LTE. We're both on T-Mobile.

Often this exact thing has been happening to me in other locations as well, and I've had to reboot my phone in order to get an LTE signal. When I reboot, the phone says "No SIM Card Inserted" for a good 45sec-1min until it detects it.

Is this indicative of a SIM issue? Should I get a new SIM?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Does T-Mobile still give away the free range extender? I just moved and my service quality has taken a dip

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Does T-Mobile still give away the free range extender? I just moved and my service quality has taken a dip

Yes. Range extender or router.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes. Range extender or router.

Is it worth it if I already have a decent router? Talking over wifi is still iffy at times.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It'd an ac66u so if your router us worse than that...

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

BoyBlunder posted:

Both my friend and I have identical Nexus 6's, and we were recently in a movie theater together. As we were leaving, I noticed that my signal was at 2-3 bars with a ! (no data connection), and his was at LTE. We're both on T-Mobile.

Often this exact thing has been happening to me in other locations as well, and I've had to reboot my phone in order to get an LTE signal. When I reboot, the phone says "No SIM Card Inserted" for a good 45sec-1min until it detects it.

Is this indicative of a SIM issue? Should I get a new SIM?

I used to have this problem on my old phone (an HTC One) and it was due to the SIM card not having a really tight connection. I put a piece of scotch tape on the non-contact side of the SIM card to make it slightly thicker, put it back in the phone and never had a problem again.

No idea if it will work for you, but since your phone is likely under warranty, you may want to just go that route.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Pardon my question, I'm looking to switch my family to T-mobile and wasn't sure about wifi calling. Is wifi calling enabled for all phones that are on the approved list here or do I need to get specific T-mobile branded ones?

From what I have read, the Iphone 5S/5C and up have it built-in to iOS, but it's hit or miss on the Android phones since they have to be Tmobile branded. I plan on buying 2 Iphones for my mom/sis and grabbing some used Android devices for my old man and myself. I'm currently rocking a 2013 X on Sprint and they're all on 4/4Ses so anything will be an upgrade to them. Wifi calling is really the only feature they need/want due to poor cell phone coverage at their house.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Audax posted:

Pardon my question, I'm looking to switch my family to T-mobile and wasn't sure about wifi calling. Is wifi calling enabled for all phones that are on the approved list here or do I need to get specific T-mobile branded ones?

From what I have read, the Iphone 5S/5C and up have it built-in to iOS, but it's hit or miss on the Android phones since they have to be Tmobile branded. I plan on buying 2 Iphones for my mom/sis and grabbing some used Android devices for my old man and myself. I'm currently rocking a 2013 X on Sprint and they're all on 4/4Ses so anything will be an upgrade to them. Wifi calling is really the only feature they need/want due to poor cell phone coverage at their house.

Only T-Mobile branded Android Phones and the Nexus 6 support WiFi calling. iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus support WiFi calling. Windows phone from T-Mobile support WiFi calling as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm really frustrated with Wi-Fi calling. I've changed phones, changed routers, and I still get frequent drops. And while connected the sound frequently drops out so I have to ask people to repeat themselves. It has become an embarrassment.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

wormil posted:

I'm really frustrated with Wi-Fi calling. I've changed phones, changed routers, and I still get frequent drops. And while connected the sound frequently drops out so I have to ask people to repeat themselves. It has become an embarrassment.

You can try setting up QoS (quality of service) on your router. The easiest way is to prioritize all traffic to the static IP address or mac address of your phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It would be nice if you could tag an access point to allow wifi calling but not all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

r0ck0 posted:

You can try setting up QoS (quality of service) on your router. The easiest way is to prioritize all traffic to the static IP address or mac address of your phone.

Good idea, I'll try that. Hopefully it helps but this happens even when nothing else is using the internet.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Well, this is interesting. T-Mo's expanding their free data thing in Canada and Mexico to add LTE service from your plan. Calls and texts, too (including things going to Canada and Mexico).

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/mobile-without-borders.htm

It's opt-in for existing folks, though.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Well, this is interesting. T-Mo's expanding their free data thing in Canada and Mexico to add LTE service from your plan. Calls and texts, too (including things going to Canada and Mexico).

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/mobile-without-borders.htm

It's opt-in for existing folks, though.

How do you opt in?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

How do you opt in?

You have to call in I'm told. If you're on one of the "promotion" plans like the 2 lines of unlimited for $100 you have to pay $10/month extra.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

How do you opt in?

It looks like it's a different Simple Choice plan you can switch to on the web site. It wants me to give up my $20 unlimited data, though, so now I have to figure out whether I care enough to effectively be paying $10 more for the $30 unlimited data, drop to a tiered plan, or stick with what I have.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

It looks like it's a different Simple Choice plan you can switch to on the web site. It wants me to give up my $20 unlimited data, though, so now I have to figure out whether I care enough to effectively be paying $10 more for the $30 unlimited data, drop to a tiered plan, or stick with what I have.

You can just add the feature for 10 bucks and not lose that sweet $20 unlimited data.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
I'm thinking of switching back to Android from my iPhone 6 since I'm Jump-eligible next month. What's the best Android phone that T-Mo offers that's not a phablet? Galaxy S6?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That or the LG G4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This my account app keeps opening itself. According to my phone, it is a big drain on my battery. All it does is tell me how much time, data, and how many messages have been used. I'm on an unlimited plan, it's kind of worthless. Is there any way to get it to stop opening?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For apps you can't uninstall, you can instead disable.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/disable-android-apps/

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Uthor posted:

For apps you can't uninstall, you can instead disable.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/disable-android-apps/

I'm having the same issue on my LG G4 with the T-Mobile app. I have disabled and opted out of everything I possible can and it keeps opening and running in the background. I can force close it and watch it pop right back open immediately and start running again. Unfortunately you can't disable the app completely on the G4.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile today. Oddly enough I've had T-Mobile service in the places that Verizon LTE didn't work. I've always had CDMA service before so is there anything I need to know about GSM? Last is there any downside to leaving wifi calling on? I turned it on as I'll be receiving the T-Mobile cell spot router soon which is better than my current router and better equipped to handle my 1gig internet at home.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

god this blows posted:

Well I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile today. Oddly enough I've had T-Mobile service in the places that Verizon LTE didn't work. I've always had CDMA service before so is there anything I need to know about GSM? Last is there any downside to leaving wifi calling on? I turned it on as I'll be receiving the T-Mobile cell spot router soon which is better than my current router and better equipped to handle my 1gig internet at home.

Tmobile's bands don't have the best penetration so being deep inside of a grocery store or whatever gets a little iffy but it's not something I've ever worried about.

Some people have drop issues with wifi calling but I can't say I've had a single issue with wifi calling on my Nexus 6.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tmobile's bands don't have the best penetration so being deep inside of a grocery store or whatever gets a little iffy but it's not something I've ever worried about.

Some people have drop issues with wifi calling but I can't say I've had a single issue with wifi calling on my Nexus 6.

Yes, I experienced that today when I went into the cafeteria at work and my phone dropped to Edge coverage, but its also not something I'm so worried about. It works at my desk at work and at home. If I don't have coverage oh well.T-Mobile is rolling out 700Mhz here in Colorado, I hope the next iPhone supports it as the 6 doesn't.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uncle Lizard posted:

I'm having the same issue on my LG G4 with the T-Mobile app. I have disabled and opted out of everything I possible can and it keeps opening and running in the background. I can force close it and watch it pop right back open immediately and start running again. Unfortunately you can't disable the app completely on the G4.

Which app? The T-Mobile My Account app? I couldn't disable it the normal way (Applications > Disable) instead I have to be in the TouchWiz launcher, then drag the icon to where the little X to remove an icon would be and I'll see a disable icon there.

Does that make any sense? Maybe that could work.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
The $30 nerd plan. Could I cancel my current Simple Choice plan, follow all the steps, etc, and activate the nerd plan on the same device and keep the same number? It's not a Walmart phone, just an unlocked Nexus 5.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, you have to add a step where you port the number to a different provider, then port back to TMobile as a "new customer".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Linnear posted:

The $30 nerd plan. Could I cancel my current Simple Choice plan, follow all the steps, etc, and activate the nerd plan on the same device and keep the same number? It's not a Walmart phone, just an unlocked Nexus 5.
Nope. Nerd plan is new accounts only.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Alright, I guess that's the plan. I'll hop onto Simple Mobile for a bit.

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Nerd plan is new accounts only.

You mean what Uthor said wouldn't work?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Skeezy posted:

Which app? The T-Mobile My Account app? I couldn't disable it the normal way (Applications > Disable) instead I have to be in the TouchWiz launcher, then drag the icon to where the little X to remove an icon would be and I'll see a disable icon there.

Does that make any sense? Maybe that could work.

The T-Mobile my account app. There is no way to disable it on the G4. It's been running in the background the whole time the phone has been of the charger even though I have disabled everything in the app and force stopped it when I took it off the charger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linnear posted:

What Uthor said makes you a new account when you come back.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Linnear posted:

Alright, I guess that's the plan. I'll hop onto Simple Mobile for a bit.

Porting out and back, what he said, gets you a new account.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I've managed to get back to the nerd plan from a post-paid plan by imploring a manager but ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 28, 2019