Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...That update took me 45 minutes just to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Team Sunny and Luna for 11.5, I do believe.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Sakuya for 9 points.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As a reminder, now that we've made it to 40 this LP is going to be taking a break until summer ends. Sorry. :shobon:

Nages will be streaming the rest of FMW3 in the downtime though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Team Fatal Frame of Hatate and Yuyuko for 3 points.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As a complete sidenote, Touhou-A-Live got pretty loving bad in its version of the Knight's chapter.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

As a complete sidenote, Touhou-A-Live got pretty loving bad in its version of the Knight's chapter.

I am unironically mad at a video game.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Team Sanae+Momiji will be deploying next chapter, which leaves us with 0.5. Also holy poo poo that was an amazing and long chapter. Just wow.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

a cartoon duck posted:

Ryza told me to vote Team Patchouli and FA Nitori so here I am. 22.0

You are the coolest duck.

Also yeh, I am really sorry for the people who sat through all of that stream. I was not expecting the story to get as bad as it did.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
To get over bad touhou fan games lets play a good touhou fangame like this one instead, I'll be streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/nagessa in 20-30 minutes from now. I doubt I'll get into spoilers territory tonight, just the many many bugs of version 1.0.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You monsters, nobody voted for Star!

Also, it's kinda funny that Marisa has the easier fight here, given what actually fighting Reimu in IN is like.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

From what I hear, Reimu is legitimately one of the hardest bosses on the field in 40M Lunatic. That chapter's basically "Border Team Kicks Everyone's rear end, guest starring suika and yuyuko". You actually have to exploit a glitch in Yukari's AI to even survive.

Also as a side note, I really, really love this chapter because it's so great! Its inspiration (ZEUTH vs ZEUTH in SRW Z) is really cool conceptually, but kind of hamstrung by the game design and the plot to be a bunch of samey robots yelling "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!" at each other. Here, everyone is fighting each other because that is just what they do. The danmaku fields really make everyone stand out, the conversations are actually pretty great, and while the chapter's not that hard on Normal it lets you kind of pick your own difficulty by giving you the option of finishing off Reimu/Marisa whenever you want.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm really made at you for making this post because it inspired me to watch the recording on Ryza's channel in order to witness some schadenfreude. I was unprepared for what I encountered, seriously who the hell thought all that would be a good idea in any way?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I am really glad they added dialogue to make you feel like a monster if you shot down Dai (or Lily). Some things just aren't right.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I am sad I've been busy the past couple of days, not only did I not stream on Monday, but I also missed apparently the worst Touhou thing ever on Ryza's stream? And then Blitz beat me to sperging about how awesome Zeuth VS Zeuth is, particularly FMW3's version of it.

Oh well, I'm probably going to beat DoD here in about 30 minutes if that's your thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey, at least this time when protagonist teams are fighting each other, most of them treat it like just a grand day out. And Touhou's at its best when all the touhous are clowning off all the other touhous.

Scant consolation since it doesn't make all that unique dialogue and easier to get, but still.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Touhou-A-Live in about 20 minutes. Fantasy Chapter is almost over guys. Just a little bit more and we'll be with our old friends Shang and Ponga.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Forsety informed me that Ibiza has actually been releasing a bunch of albums of his own, all in a similar style to his work in FMW. He's even touched a few up and used them in the actual games; for example, the original version of The Flower that Marks the Changing Seasons was in his C78 album. FMW E was released in 2010 as well, so this might have been the unused track he was talking about back in Flower of Despair's music notes!

There's also some silly stuff like medleys of Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler's themes when this game basically skipped over them entirely.

Here's a list of all the albums his circle's put out so far.

EDIT: Sadly, only the first three albums are available for purchase now. I'll put up anything that looks interesting on tindeck on request I guess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 10, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hey.

You know that thing I do?

I'm doing more of it in 20 minutes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They're obviously saving Shoot the Bullet for the Special Disc. :v:

A stage where it's Aya and Hatate against everybody else in the game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess there are just a bunch of people stalking my tindeck because the Broken Moon arrange I put up already has more views than any of the songs I linked last post. :v:

Anyway here's the full list of songs I put up, one from each album:

Behold! The Flower's Spiritual Circle (prototype of Fantasy Maidens Appear)
The Wrath of the Most Cheerful God (prototype of The Restless Spirit and the Virtuous Wind)
Tearing Up the Only Moment (Shoot the Bullet medley)
Starship Voyager (its own thing, but I see it as a sort of prototype to Midnight Star Storm)
[Battle] Unrefracting Curiosity (an extended cut)
The Flower that Marks the Changing Seasons (prototype of you know what)
Oni's Island (the Broken Moon arrange everyone wanted; it's listed as the IaMP medley too)
Rise Above the Scarlet Lake, Scarlet Phoneme (long) (yup)
Longing for that Wind that Tore Up the Moment (Double Spoiler medley)

There's also a prototype of The Netherworld's Prism Phantoms and the full version of a song that'll show up in FMW4. And of course he could theoretically take any of the other songs and put them in, but who knows.

I tried looking up cobu to see if he had anything but the man is a complete mystery. :smith:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 11, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Going to stream more fmw3 in 30ish minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/nagessa
Probably will just be doing full clears of both mission 40s unlike what some people where able to do. If I end up going into spoiler territory I'll edit this post saying so.

I am in spoiler territory now, also I am fool.

double edit: streams over, i am an eternal fool.

Nages fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Whoever Clear_ONE is, sorry I had to bail before you could show me whatever it is you were going to. :shobon:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Also as a side note, I really, really love this chapter because it's so great! Its inspiration (ZEUTH vs ZEUTH in SRW Z) is really cool conceptually, but kind of hamstrung by the game design and the plot to be a bunch of samey robots yelling "HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?!" at each other. Here, everyone is fighting each other because that is just what they do. The danmaku fields really make everyone stand out, the conversations are actually pretty great, and while the chapter's not that hard on Normal it lets you kind of pick your own difficulty by giving you the option of finishing off Reimu/Marisa whenever you want.

I was disappointed about this, actually. For all the :effort: of the PCB arc, at least it was just following a script. Here they could have gone all-out with something fun and interesting but it was just fighting for the sake of fighting, while in the middle of an incident. I get that's just how Gensokyo folks just roll but it comes across as lazy to me at least. The gameplay does look infinitely more interesting than its SRW equivalent but that goes without saying.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

This actually is an interesting take on the real IN stage 4; there either Reimu or Marisa catches up with your chosen team and (correctly) accuses them of being behind the frozen night. There's a brief skirmish, and then said protagonist leaves so your player team can handle the rest. There's four possible permutations of that depending on which team you picked, and while chapter 40 is kind of based on Border Team's (Yukari is behind the eternal night, Marisa challenges Reimu to a fight) it's mostly its own thing.

It's also in many ways designed to be a specific contrast to the original SRW Z chapter. There the interteam fight is the end result of a frankly rather contrived series of events and is pretty much just a big old drama bomb. Here everyone is fighting just because Marisa wants to show off. It's completely in character, enables a lot of fun conversations (some people are pumped, others are exasperated, and still others are taking the time to chat), and has the neat bonus of showing off all the stuff that happened in the other route. You really couldn't ask for much more from a route split finale.

I guess they could have gone with something dramatic like Reisen tricking everyone into fighting, but frankly there are so many power players on both sides that anything like that would have been even more contrived than SRW Z's version.

Also next chapter has all the "friend against friend" drama you could ask for anyway. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed by it too, as fun as it is to play through. If this kind of excuse was all they ever needed, why don't their teams fight each other in every game? Without a good reason, it's kind of... not special. And no, Yukari claiming she's behind the night when they all know drat well that there's an explanation isn't a good reason, it's obviously being used as a pretext. I think the main issue is that it's really hard to believe that either Marisa or Reimu here would seriously suspect the other of being behind the incident, after everything they've been through in the previous games. You could do something with illusions I guess, but honestly that would defeat the point of having a fight like this.

...I do think it would be possible though, with some significant changes to earlier chapters. First of all, no one on Marisa's side can notice the fake moon, such that when Yukari tries to explain it it's impossible to believe (say, Eirin's sending fake moonbeams down so they can't notice...?). Second, Marisa needs to actually distrust Reimu from before the route split, possibly due to something like her growing more and more inhuman in her actions, which can obviously be tied to Reimu's character arc. Third, despite all that, it would have to come down to their rivalry more than the actual reasons given. There's hints of that already: Marisa can't stand the thought of always losing to Reimu, and I guess Reimu could elaborate more on that "I don't need you" thing. Maybe spin in a bit of "if you couldn't understand that brief explanation, it's not worth trying."

Everyone else should just be along for the ride: it would be kind of tedious for the entire chapter's dialog to be "no! stop fighting!", but I think a serious rivalry between the two of them, after which they come to respect each other more, could've been pretty cool. The huge problem with this is obviously that it would interfere would Marisa's character arc, which was resolved the in previous chapter. Which, well, that's bad. Actually, the more I think about it the more that seems to be the main thing: this is a "victory lap" chapter following the two respective upgrade chapters. Marisa's overcome her emotional issues and Reimu is... Reimu, so you're just supposed to revel in the danmaku festival without any drama. Hmm...

This is tougher than I thought.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

It's pretty disappointing. Fighting everyone on the other route was interesting but it came with a cost of neutering the actual fight between Reimu/Marisa. Instead of using both their fancy new spells, they only get one card. Marisa doesn't even use Final Spark, just an attack that she should have grown of. It's a MAP, too, which she's never used before and never uses again. It's just really... bland, I guess? Even though you're fighting the other main character, there's no actual hype. Marisa's allies are way more impressive than her, not that they don't have their own issues (Wriggle can't use Nightbug Storm or Wriggle Kick, Alice can't use her new moves, Hina's 1-2 range attack is still Melee-type from the demo).

Really 40R is just an awful chapter. 40M is a bit better, but not without its problems as mentioned before. Sanbondo spent too much time on the quantity part of it without taking the time to make the actual boss fight any kind of interesting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That too: having Marisa/Reimu buzzing in your ear like a mosquito for the entire fight is hardly hype building. I don't really have a problem with Yuuka/Yukari being stronger than the main boss, since they're essentially optional objectives and plot-wise supposed to be more of a threat, but the protagonists should at least have two spellcards each.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 13, 2015

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
It is obviously quite different from the actual IN stage, but I think FMW did it about as well as possible. Both sides clearly know the other isn't responsible for the incident, so a serious battle between the two sides before encountering the main baddy would be silly. Instead we get a lighthearted skirmish where both sides can show off and have a bit of fun. They could have put the emphasis on Reimu/Marisa, but I much prefer the current setup that features multiple powerful (and optional) foes over a single major boss. Maybe they could have removed the fight from in the IN story and had it set between incidents or something, but that would lead to its own problems.

The cause for the fight is a bit silly, but the chapter is absurdly fun, full of dialogue, and features many tricky enemies, so I can forgive that.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 13, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
We interrupt this discussion on plot to bring you more DoD.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nook posted:

Marisa doesn't even use Final Spark,

Marisa doesn't use Final Spark as her card because she spends the entire pre-spellcard phase blasting you with it 24/7. :v:

And I just feel like "hey you wanna fight?" "Yeah, sure, why not" is perfect Touhou. I don't know why you'd need anything else, and it's such a huge contrast to the original SRW Z chapter that they must have done it on purpose.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 14, 2015

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
A special ripstream happening in about 20 minutes.

edit: Streams over. Thanks for watching. Just a warning for anyone who wants to watch the recording, I streamed some of the fmw4 demo so lots of spoilers.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

FMW2 patch update. Most of the dialogue's been pasted in, and we've started editing.

But much more importantly, more music!

With an Eternally Innocent Heart (Howling Star edit)
Love is Blind

jesus christ ibiza made so many mystia tracks

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
More Touhou-A-Live in 20 minutes.

edit: Streams over. Touhou-A-Live finished! Next time: Better games.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 17, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Streaming in 30ish minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/nagessa

On chapter 41 and planning to do that 42 which haven't been covered by the lp yet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Congrats on bugging out the game so hard you missed getting new attacks entirely.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Even my bugs weren't working right!
Note if anyone tried to watch this on youtube, at the end of stage 42 a person in chat was talking about a bunch of stuff that is kind of major and some minor spoilers later. I don't add the chat to the youtube videos but we talk about what they are saying a bit so beware.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To be fair a bunch of minor spoilers were sort of brought up throughout the entire stream, so if you're worried about them it's probably best to skip the stream entirely.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Streaming in 20 minutes. Not sure what yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hello friends, it has been a while due to EVO weekend, but now since esports is done, we can probably beat Devil of Decline's expansion in an hour.

• Locked thread