Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

QuoProQuid posted:

EXACT Science, whenever I see your username it reminds me of a line in the musical Next to Normal where the mother is having her prescription changed after a psychotic breakdown and tells the doctor, "[psychopharmacology's] not a very exact science, is it?" Then the chorus lists her medications (and the unintended side effects) to the tune of My Favorite Things.

This doesn't impact you in any way, but I always hum a little when you post.

also that was a p sick burn

I love Next to Normal! Musical theatre buddies with Quid in their name~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also if you guys love musical theatre and aren't homophobic (hopefully nobody in our lovely community!) you should listen to the Fun Home cast recording and focus on it because it's one of the best musicals to come out in a long time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Quidnose posted:

I love Next to Normal! Musical theatre buddies with Quid in their name~

:hfive:

Quidnose posted:

Also if you guys love musical theatre and aren't homophobic (hopefully nobody in our lovely community!) you should listen to the Fun Home cast recording and focus on it because it's one of the best musicals to come out in a long time.

I haven't heard it, but I will definitely check it out! I love musical theatre and have the soundtrack of Chess on my tablet to listen to while working.

I just love those intense choruses.

Each game of chess means there's one less,
Var - i - ation left to be played.
Each game, got through, means one or two
Less mistakes remain to be made.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 11, 2015

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am a very snobby musical theatre fan because I used to perform a lot and I also direct so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my opinions :v:

Most musicals are pretty ok for a variety of reasons though! Sondheim is the best howevs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Quid and Quid, you two should become friends

wait wait

You two should become business partners and start a law firm called Quid and Quid

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

also at least two people should report to skype for avalon

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quidnose posted:

Musical theatre chat can come back, hooray!

Musical theatre is cool and good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Quidnose posted:

I am a very snobby musical theatre fan because I used to perform a lot and I also direct so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my opinions :v:

Most musicals are pretty ok for a variety of reasons though! Sondheim is the best howevs.

What's your favorite Sondheim musical?

I didn't realize that you acted in and directed theatre! That's is really cool. I am jealous.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Keane let's go get rush tickets for fun home

Also hell yeah musical theatre chat!

Edit: I know that wasn't to me but my favorite Sondheim musical is Company

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 27, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

sunday in the park with geooooooorge

I'm listening to it now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmejGjhd_M

Art isn't easy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I also direct/choreograph/perform. Right now I'm in a lovely community theatre production of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386629&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post387942569

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

also at least two one people should report to skype for avalon

We only need one more!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My favorite Sondheim is Assassins because it has rear end in its name.

TWICE.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Keane let's go get rush tickets for fun home

Also hell yeah musical theatre chat!

Edit: I know that wasn't to me but my favorite Sondheim musical is Company

I'm watching my budget atm, I had some sudden expenses so no big shows for me!

The best musical I've seen recently was a production of Peer Gynt in a small community theater (The Hive) in Bushwick.

Check out the Hive if anybody is in or near NYC - they have great shows, though usually concerts.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
mad max furry road is a good movie and it has no furries in it which is a bonus

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Also if you guys love musical theatre and aren't homophobic (hopefully nobody in our lovely community!)
I've got bad news about Asiina,

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Imagine being scared of Pinterest mom

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm scared of Pinterest Mom, but just on that social level where it's scary to talk to people you like

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think that's just people you have a crush on.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

I also direct/choreograph/perform. Right now I'm in a lovely community theatre production of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

I have a lot of sad bitterness about the theatre I left, but they've done a few really neat productions (like I got to direct a pretty loving ambitious time travel play a couple years ago, that was neat).

For the nerds in this thread, my favorite director at the theatre directed a production of Man of La Mancha set in a psychiatric ward. I ran makeup (which basically ended up being "clean up after everyone and do eyeliner on the 15-year-old muleteer") so I got to hear the show every night and it came out pretty strong. Our theatre is super tiny so the orchestra was out in the lobby with a bunch of mics and a projector screen at the back of the house showing the music director conducting so the cast could see it. It's one of the most fun shows I've ever seen and the creative direction was really cool for community theatre.

Here's a link if anyone feels like watching it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKRAzlJ3p-o

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I don't like musical theater because [reasons].

Not a homophobe though, I actually helped gather signatures to bring marriage equality to Maine via ballot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

I don't think there's a big cross section between "loves musical theatre" and "is homophobic"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I don't think there's a big cross section between "loves musical theatre" and "is homophobic"

You'd be surprised

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

I don't like musical theater because [reasons].

Not a homophobe though, I actually helped gather signatures to bring marriage equality to Maine via ballot.
"I'm not racist, I have plenty of black friends"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

"Ahh my favorite book: Broadway Musicals from the 1940s."

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

a result i've been working on for months on end is 75% confirmed real, next week i find out if that last 25% is going to bite me in the rear end or not

but, on the good chance that it's 'if not', then i've just created a huge loving shortcut in my field and i'm going to ride its gravy train for 2-3 publications within the next 12 months while other labs set up and optimize the same thing to start playing catch up :3:

that's my friday night news. i just finished work. rip my social life.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

What's your favorite Sondheim musical?

I didn't realize that you acted in and directed theatre! That's is really cool. I am jealous.

They're all so good for so many different reasons!

I think Passion is his most beautiful score.

Company was the most fun of the different Sondheim shows I've performed in, playing Bobby was a blast and the score is fun and super even all the way through. And I relate to Bobby a lot.

Sunday in the Park with George has the most perfect first act. I'm still trying to figure out the second :)

Sweeney Todd is a masterpiece and probably the closest to perfection he has had.

I also really like Follies, I love the score to Merrily We Roll Along even if the book is pretty awful, I had a really good time performing in A Little Night Music....

I could go on, haha.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Nice! Who are you playing?

I just music directed Putnam at my new school, second time directing it and third time working with it (I acted in it the first time). It's a fun little show, but I'm kinda done with it for a bit :v:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

a result i've been working on for months on end is 75% confirmed real, next week i find out if that last 25% is going to bite me in the rear end or not

but, on the good chance that it's 'if not', then i've just created a huge loving shortcut in my field and i'm going to ride its gravy train for 2-3 publications within the next 12 months while other labs set up and optimize the same thing to start playing catch up :3:

that's my friday night news. i just finished work. rip my social life.

Congrats Ernie, please use the powers for mischief and wrongdoing.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Storytime, for the last year that I worked with the theatre in that link above, I served on their artistic committee. We basically chose the shows for the season, designed outreach programs, read a shitload of scripts, advised the board of directors on all creative type decisions, interviewed directors, whatever.

This theatre is in a very small, conservative town. There was a group going around connecting with businesses and orgs in the area to make a master network of LGBT-supportive places in town who would be adding LGBT-specific support programs to whatever they did in return for free advertising. The theatre (of course) signed on with this group, specifically saying that they would make a concerted effort to put on shows with strong LGBT representation. I was at the board meeting where they pledged this. One year after signing, we still had not had a single show with any representation. I was writing a musical for their Christmas show and mentioned that I was planning on putting a lesbian couple in -- it worked well with the story and I really disliked that we'd seemingly just done lip service to an effort for LGBT support with no actual work done. I was told in no uncertain terms not to write lesbians into my Christmas musical or it would not go into production.

The last artistic committee meeting I went to before moving away, I brought up the representation issue one final time and straight up told the committee that I felt strongly that if we were being advertised by the LGBT support network then we needed to walk the walk, and after shooting down a couple of ideas for shows with strong representation, a really obnoxious woman on the committee insisted that the bedroom farce she'd been pushing for months had GREAT representation, because there's a character everyone thinks is gay, and it's so funny, a straight man being mistaken as gay is where a lot of the humor comes from, isn't that great representation guys?????

so yeah they're doing that show instead of one with actual representation

and yeah they will probably put a note in the program about the LGBT support network that they are such loving proud members of

so yeah theatre people can be pretty loving homophobic

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Quidnose posted:

Nice! Who are you playing?

I just music directed Putnam at my new school, second time directing it and third time working with it (I acted in it the first time). It's a fun little show, but I'm kinda done with it for a bit :v:

It's a complete clusterfuck. I was cast as "Trish" Mahoney (also playing God), but I was told I'm doubling Marcy in certain performances, which they are now taking back bc they can't find someone to play Trish/Mitch when I'm Marcy. Also Rona is double cast and Logainne is double cast.

And obviously since I'm a girl, I'm not playing one of Logainne's dads or Olive's dad.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

Sunday in the Park with George has the most perfect first act. I'm still trying to figure out the second :)

It was pretty straightforward I thought.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Look Under The Rock posted:

For the nerds in this thread, my favorite director at the theatre directed a production of Man of La Mancha set in a psychiatric ward. I ran makeup (which basically ended up being "clean up after everyone and do eyeliner on the 15-year-old muleteer") so I got to hear the show every night and it came out pretty strong. Our theatre is super tiny so the orchestra was out in the lobby with a bunch of mics and a projector screen at the back of the house showing the music director conducting so the cast could see it. It's one of the most fun shows I've ever seen and the creative direction was really cool for community theatre.

Dude, I think I have heard about this production. Where is this theatre located?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Oh lord I am an idiot, there's a link, lol.

I'm actually realizing anyway that the production I'm thinking of was a Pirates of Penzance set in a mental institution that was putting on a production of Pirates of Penzance. A popular setting for shows I guess :v:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I've got bad news about Asiina,

Go gently caress yourself.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

It's a complete clusterfuck. I was cast as "Trish" Mahoney (also playing God), but I was told I'm doubling Marcy in certain performances, which they are now taking back bc they can't find someone to play Trish/Mitch when I'm Marcy. Also Rona is double cast and Logainne is double cast.

And obviously since I'm a girl, I'm not playing one of Logainne's dads or Olive's dad.

Wow, that does sound like a mess, lol. Our Mitch Mahoney in my most recent production was a girl who played it as a boy. We talked about making her "Midge" or "Madge" Mahoney but she wanted the challenge of playing a man, so we ran with it.

And yeah, understudying can be a loving clusterfuck if you don't plan ahead. When I was in Sweeney Todd I was understudying Anthony, which was all fine and good except that when he lost his voice on the morning of closing matinee we hadn't covered any of my poo poo in the show, and I was in a ton as an ensemble member. I ended up just doing a lot of it, but that was the last time that theatre group didn't rehearse their understudies more, haha.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

It was pretty straightforward I thought.

The first act to me is Character Study perfection and while I understand the trajectory of the second act the reincarnation / Dot appearing to him and him knowing he is George and who she is all of a sudden stuff still kinda throws me for a loop, although I'm probably trying to parse it too literally. I haven't seen it since I was like 19, I should probably watch it again.

I like Assassins a whole bunch too. And Pacific Overtures! Sondheim is good he needs to write another show before he dies.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Because seriously he can't go out on Road Show or Bounce or whatever the hell they're calling that now. I haven't even listened to that show.