Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EccoRaven posted:

My latest sunless sea character is about to retire a wealthy widow, someone give me a name for my next character.

yep!

Gloria "the Rock" Flabajabber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quidnose posted:

Wow, that does sound like a mess, lol. Our Mitch Mahoney in my most recent production was a girl who played it as a boy. We talked about making her "Midge" or "Madge" Mahoney but she wanted the challenge of playing a man, so we ran with it.

And yeah, understudying can be a loving clusterfuck if you don't plan ahead. When I was in Sweeney Todd I was understudying Anthony, which was all fine and good except that when he lost his voice on the morning of closing matinee we hadn't covered any of my poo poo in the show, and I was in a ton as an ensemble member. I ended up just doing a lot of it, but that was the last time that theatre group didn't rehearse their understudies more, haha.

I was in a horribly directed production of The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Edwin Drood allows the audience to choose the ending. The director was very, very confident that she could direct the audience to choosing specific outcomes.

Now, I can't sing worth a drat. I try really hard and I make do by being like a pigeon with a broken wing, just adorably incompetent.

Opening night of production the audience voted to have me perform a duet I had never rehearsed before. I managed to get through it without too much damage, but it was brutal.

The next performance the big finale song was performed by someone else who had never performed it. He lost track of his place and said "words words words, we never rehearsed this, why did you pick meeeee" with such charm and charisma that a not insignificant percent of the audience thought that was a legit part of the show.

I gave him my flask and got ahold of some cigarettes for him after the show. The man was a champ.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Quidnose posted:

Wow, that does sound like a mess, lol. Our Mitch Mahoney in my most recent production was a girl who played it as a boy. We talked about making her "Midge" or "Madge" Mahoney but she wanted the challenge of playing a man, so we ran with it.

And yeah, understudying can be a loving clusterfuck if you don't plan ahead. When I was in Sweeney Todd I was understudying Anthony, which was all fine and good except that when he lost his voice on the morning of closing matinee we hadn't covered any of my poo poo in the show, and I was in a ton as an ensemble member. I ended up just doing a lot of it, but that was the last time that theatre group didn't rehearse their understudies more, haha.

It's not even understudying, it's double cast, so different people are playing it in different performances. CLUSTERFUCK.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, is anybody interested in setting up a weekly skype avalon game or something? WE just played a game it was fun, would anybody be interested in playing tomorrow night?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I may or may not be around tmrw night. Probably will be at/after 11 or 12 EST like tonight.

PS what's that penguin called in your skype icon

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 27, 2020

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I might be around tomorrow! My girlfriend is spending the day with her sister so depending on if she's back and poking me constantly I would be down to play~

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Dang wow.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
it still cracks me up that people literally say dang instead of drat, or buddy instead of oval office

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funfia ended in a PERFECT TOWN VICTORY
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727600

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

I was town mva: most valuable anime

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Musical theater chat: somehow like half of the people who I've lived with

- Can sing several entire Rent songs from memory
- Have done so without being prompted

BottleKnight posted:

Going to a barcade in KC this evening. They have Galaga but not Missile Command so I'm expecting the evening to be good but not great.

Wait, are you in Kansas City?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730556&perpage=40

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Has anyone else seen Sense8? I just finished it and it was Uh I don't know.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that's an accurate description

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

To be fair, I thought there were some really powerful scenes about gender identity and sexuality. I think I was more drawn in to the character's personal struggles than the sci fi stuff which is fine.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm excited for season 2 of sense8 whenever that happens b/c season 1 was a lot of setup and not too much followthrough

also too much will. i don't care about will.

it reminded me a bunch of orphan black which i also got into a bunch

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sense8 was very strong in characters and very weak in story

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, are you in Kansas City?

I am, much more hilariously, in Topeka, where I have lived my entire life. I go to KC & Columbia pretty regularly though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

soundtrack of Chess

Siam's gonna be the witness to the ultimate test of cerebral fitness.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

where I have lived my entire life.

*in my best eckso acksent* "Which, unimpressively, has been a total of 4 years."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 27, 2020

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFR4jdYsfCI

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Wow that kid did go crazy!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

<3

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nevermind. Disregard.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 11, 2015

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

It's not even understudying, it's double cast, so different people are playing it in different performances. CLUSTERFUCK.

The last show I did at my old theatre was like that. There's a local festival in that town and they always do a play as part of that festival -- nine performances in a single week. This year they decided to use their spring show (January Thaw) as the festival show, so the play ran for eleven performances over three weekends, took a week off, then ran nine more during festival.

Since it's not a pro theatre and nobody is getting paid, everybody had scheduling conflicts so basically the whole show was double cast. I think there were only three actors who could make every performance date. So we'd have like, Herbert A and Barbara B and Jonathan A one night, then the next night it would be Herbert B, Barbara A, Jonathan A, then Herbert A, Barbara A, Jonathan B etc.

And then two of the actors abruptly quit the show a week and a half before open, so they called me and my dude to come fill in. Also the costumer was one of the people who quit.

Everything was such a clusterfuck that once it was over I was glad to walk. I didn't even go to the cast party. It was such a mess.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One more player needs to join this extremely dumb game

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Necessary? I dont think so. . .

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm through episode 6 of sense8 and I'm down for six seasons and a movie. I don't care where it goes, the Wachowski siblings put out media you just don't see anywhere else. Even Jupiter Ascending was incredible.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Magnus Gallant posted:

Necessary? I dont think so. . .

no magnus don't you get it, when we disagree about media it's ok to "ironically" call someone a monster and bigot.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Somberbrero posted:

I'm through episode 6

Episode 6 ey?

:rms:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

no magnus don't you get it, when we disagree about media it's ok to "ironically" call someone a monster and bigot.

Ah, thanks, that clears things up for me. :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Even Jupiter Ascending was incredible.

whoa whoa whoa, let's not get crazy. It was enjoyable, but it was not a great movie.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

whoa whoa whoa, let's not get crazy. It was enjoyable, but it was not a great movie.

Of course it wasn't a great movie, but when was the last time you watched anything like it?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Of course it wasn't a great movie, but when was the last time you watched anything like it?

The difference is that I know the Wachowski's can make good movies. So when they make a bad one, I'm not going to celebrate it for its failed attempts.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

yaaaay.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

The difference is that I know the Wachowski's can make good movies. So when they make a bad one, I'm not going to celebrate it for its failed attempts.

Im not familiar with their work outside the matrix movies, of which I only really felt the first one was a good film. What are some of their other projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

"Ironically"