Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't look in his human eyes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where is all this beautiful Groofic art coming from?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The kids, of course.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I've been getting it from their facebook feed.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they should consider a side job playing Groophic (Gruphic?, Grufic?) at schools. Telling children to always wear a helmet and that this era of the Simpsons is just the worst. "Remember kids, if Al Jean wants you to get in his van and read some of the script for upcoming episodes, just say "NO!'"

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
There's a short special episode today about Harry Shearer leaving:

http://www.weepodcast.com/episodes/2015/5/14/special-wee-dition-harry-shearer-leaving-the-simpsons

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nice! Didn't know there was a thread for this pod. I remember checking out of the Simpsons at the exact episode where Springfield got filled with garbage and they moved the town.

Definitely enjoying it, though it did lead to me watching more late period Simpsons than I ever thought I would. That Sacha Baron Cohen episode, yeeeeesh. Lisa meets Lady Gaga whooof.

Surprisingly the future christmas episode was pretty decent.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 15, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I'm with the group just wondering how much longer the show is going to limp along with half of the cast falling silent. None of these guys are young anymore, they're either going to retire or die off. I just don't see recasting all those voices as working out for too long.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Rebochan posted:

I'm with the group just wondering how much longer the show is going to limp along with half of the cast falling silent. None of these guys are young anymore, they're either going to retire or die off. I just don't see recasting all those voices as working out for too long.

I think it'll depend on whether its a trickle or a flood. If they just have to replace a few characters or recast a few voices for the actual SImpsons and ease the change in then the show might continue to limp on. But if more big names join Shearer then it might be the final straw. Its not like they have much to sustain them beside the talents of the cast.

In other news I'm glad I stuck with the podcast, some of their gimmicks were really starting to grate on me and the length creep with little to fill it was also a problem. So its refreshing to see Jack & Dan acknowledge problems and shake things up a bit. Episode delays? Let's change the schedule, ratings getting bloated? Let's trim it down and change the formula, comedy voices not working out? Groophic!

Also it just occurred to me how refreshing it is to listen to a podcast that despite a layer of pessimism woven into the premise still manages to be occasionally upbeat and fun. No screeching over the top antics here. (Until the Dalek voice rolls out anyway).

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I just listen to last week one on Springfield allowing gay marriages. I remember when it came out it was a big del that patty came out, but this epasoide is just a mess and at times it can come of as anti-gay. i can understand springfeild doing it for the money because that fits with the town, but homer's side story come off as just bad.

but I love the Ullman-era voices they do "WE LOVE BUTTS!".

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The newest episode is hilarious, but they get filthier than they ever have before. Just a warning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When did Groofic start with his hardcore existentialism/nihilism? I think I missed it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jack Gladney posted:

When did Groofic start with his hardcore existentialism/nihilism? I think I missed it.

Groofic has spent too long warning kids to wear helmets, seeing brains splattered on the pavement as he's ignored. He welcomes the darkness, it's his only relief from the pain.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I now have the image of millhouse dad jerking off in his race car bed whereing a dirty undershirt, crying to himself. it a filthy image but fits him so mush it like poetry.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 11, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cyron posted:

I now have the image of millhouse dad jerking off in his race car bed whereing a dirty undershirt, crying to himself. it a filthy image but fits him so mush it like poetry.

Meanwhile homer jerks off in a big bed with his wife

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tatum Girlparts posted:

eating hot dogs that thawed in the sink.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That guy sure loves his butts.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I don't know why, but of all the incredibly dumb bits they do "Tracey Ullman Simpsons Talking About Butts" always kills me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maduo posted:

I don't know why, but of all the incredibly dumb bits they do "Tracey Ullman Simpsons Talking About Butts" always kills me.

He does such a great 'old Homer' voice to do it, it's not a perfect impression but it's right between a great one and that hilarious youtube mspaint simpsons joke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone else totally unable to download the newest episode off itunes?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I had to take .mp3 off the file names to download the last 2 episodes from the RSS feed.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Looks like a lot of people are having trouble with this. Jack posted on the episode comments on the site that he's looking into it, but Dan's out of town and he normally handles it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Listening to the latest episode, my main thought is, if you criticise a show for putting paedophilia incest jokes in the episode maybe you shouldn't do a routine about paedophiles and incest in your podcast.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Baka-nin posted:

Listening to the latest episode, my main thought is, if you criticise a show for putting paedophilia incest jokes in the episode maybe you shouldn't do a routine about paedophiles and incest in your podcast.

Yeah, I really noticed that too. I thought their joke was pretty decent but they do come across as rather hypocritical at times.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Baka-nin posted:

Hah, your post got a shout out in this week's episode. Hey guys!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Yea, just heard that and laughed. The thread is now famous!

Kind of surprised this week's episode didn't top the list. I think they might need to re look at their scoring system given how much they got into the emotional level of the story.

I submitted a Cut all This bit to them. Warning: it was probably only funny to me. I was also one of the many people who suggested Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

moleman posted:

Hah, your post got a shout out in this week's episode. Hey guys!

At first I thought `nah couldn't be` but yeah its almost verbatim.

Rebochan posted:

Yea, just heard that and laughed. The thread is now famous!

Kind of surprised this week's episode didn't top the list. I think they might need to re look at their scoring system given how much they got into the emotional level of the story.

I submitted a Cut all This bit to them. Warning: it was probably only funny to me. I was also one of the many people who suggested Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass.

Did you do it under the name Rebochan?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Quite enjoying this podcast but I think they should have a 50 min limit. I don't mind the riffing but I like hearing their insights into the episodes, esp. as they have a lot of knowledge about the series. I like it when they point out the contradictions or repetitions from other episodes and use their knowledge to poke fun at the worst episodes. The analytical side is much more rewarding than the "wouldn't it be funny if..." side.

Having a limit (albeit arbitrary) helps focus the mind. I find that when I have to write to a word limit my writing is more condensed and sharper. I think the problem with podcasts is that they can be any length so even with editing WEE episodes can last almost 90min. That's far too long for a 22 min cartoon. I think We Hate Movies also has this problem. Whenever I see a WEE/WHM podcast total more than 60 min my heart sinks.

:pseudo: It's not like I want to be a podcast Nazi or anything but....

E: Arrrghhh... Just clicked on the new one. 78 minutes. :geno: Seriously? :negative:

I have changed my mind. I do want to be a podcast Nazi.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 12, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The last time I listened the hosts spent a half hour talking about home movies they made as kids. I just kept thinking "what does this have to do with The Simpsons?" before turning it off.

For good.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

While I certainly don't disagree with the complaints regarding length and abundance of tangents, I honestly don't have much of a problem with it myself (though in the case of the former, I personally listen to my podcasts either at work or on long walks, and as such admittedly tend to prefer longer episodes myself). More than anything, I feel it just adds to the vibe of two best friends talking and joking around with each other how they normally would and having a blast doing so, and feel that the tangents, though admittedly frequent, are generally short enough on a individual basis that they don't keep the focus away from the Simpsons for too long at once. For comparison's sake I feel that The Simpsons Show podcast generally does a better job of keeping their episodes condense and on topic, but conversely, I also find their banter to feel more rehearsed and unnatural sounding, and though not a bad podcast by any means, somewhat lacks the great energy and chemistry between hosts that keeps me coming back to WEE each week.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I just wish they could stop being ~~~ironically~ terrible with the voices.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Both Tracula and Trash Boat's complaints - too much digression, too much screeching "voices" - could be fixed by a time limit. If you have a limit and you know you have to keep on focus to get through the whole episode in - say - 50 min then you ditch lengthy digressions and cut voices to a minimum. Yes, it is nice when it's natural but the WEE guys have to realise that there are other podcasts out there and that they are in competition with those. If they make their podcast snappier, shorter, more focused, then they will get more return listeners (and episode re-listens).

The outtakes section seems like a good idea, as it cuts the stuff we complain about. But it also creates a problem. It gives them the feeling that they can riff for +2 hours and then edit down. But you can't really work that way as skits bleed from one point into another. If you cut a setback then the callback that appears later in an essential part is confusing or irritating. If a voice gets used throughout you have to include the set-up. A podcast isn't like a film, which is made in discrete sections, which can be cut or rearranged. A podcast like this is a long conversation and you cannot edit as accurately.

tl; dr: Although editing seems to solve some of the problems with WEE it actually perpetuates the show's weakest point. Answer: have a time limit to focus the podcast. No need to do 50 min every time - maybe it comes in at 40 or 45 min.

Also I can't believe I am the first poster itt to use this: :margeball:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The only one of the voices that I really like is Groophic.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groofic is amazing but had better not become WEE's Disco Stu because of that.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Hadaka Apron posted:

The only one of the voices that I really like is Groophic.

I am strangely fond of the ghost of Werner Herzog, there's just something absurdly incongruous about him that makes me happy.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
The only character I find hard to listen to is Leonardo dicaprio Travolta because it's loud and jarring and unfunny. The rest are fine

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think the fact that podcast about bad simpsons episodes has a cast of characters in the first place is very weird. I really do wish they would talk about the actual episode more.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was a big fan of the early episodes, but when it became overrun with the horrible OG character voices and talking about their past projects I stopped listening. These guys have a great premise for a show and it's a shame to see them waste it with nonsense. I don't wanna hear the horrible Dalek impression for the umpteenth time, just eat the drat orange!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Baka-nin posted:

Did you do it under the name Rebochan?

Yup, as far as the episode submission. Got called out this week, nice. No idea if/when they'll use mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm 99% fine with the podcast as it is, including all the off-topic stuff. It's a podcast about finding the worst Simpsons episode, so I'm already wasting my time; I don't care if the hosts are goofing off.

Only the really egregious poo poo like the bizarre diCaprio voice bothers me. The Dalek thing gets stale, too.

• Locked thread