Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

This is an open-setup game of Mafia for 10 players. There is not a traditional scum team. Days are 48 Hours, Nights are 24. Vote is plurality.

Standard Rules Apply

Town Roles

quote:

You are an FBI Psychologist.
Cult Investigator/Mason

You and your partner recently investigated a cult involved mass-suicide in Arkansas. The case has taken you to Pinetop. A small, quaint community hidden in a densely wooded area of Central Oregon. You have particularly been enlisted in this case due to your profiling ability.

You may choose a target at night to detain for psychological evaluation. You learn if they are Cult affiliated. You are also in a masonry with [Player Name].

You win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

quote:

You are an FBI Agent.
Serial Killer Investigator/Mason

You and your partner recently investigated a cult involved mass-suicide in Arkansas. The case has taken you to Pinetop. A small, quaint community hidden in a densely wooded area of Central Oregon. The cult wasn't the only threat that came to Pinetop, a Serial Killer is in the midst and it's up to you to stop them.

Each night you may choose a player to investigate, you will receive a result of Serial Killer or Not Serial Killer. You are also in a masonry with [Player Name].

quote:

You are The Log Lady.
Watcher/1-Shot Lie Detector

People think you strange, but you know things, you see things. You know about what's out in those woods.

Each night you may choose to player to watch learning anyone who targeted them. You also have a 1-Shot lie detector that will allow you to learn if a player's statement is true or false.

quote:

You are Vanilla Town.

You are a resident of Pinetop, a lovely little town consisting of kind-hearted, trusting people.

Your strength lies in your vote.

Cult

quote:

You are the Cult Leader.
Cult Recruiter/1-Shot Investigation Immune/1-Shot Bulletproof

You arrived in Pinetop a little over a year ago. A small, quaint community hidden in a densely wooded area in Central Oregon. You never had any trouble persuading people to do your bidding, and this small town would prove no different. You exploit the weaknesses of others effortlessly, moulding their wills like putty.

Once per night, you may choose to recruit a player to join your cult. In addition to your recruiting ability, you are passively 1-Shot Bulletproof and 1-Shot Investigation proof. You will not be notified when your immunities expire. If you recruit the Serial Killer you will die. If you die your cult dies.

You win when the cult comprises more than half of total players and no threats to it remain in the game.

quote:

You are now a Cultist.

[Player Name] is ceaselessly entertaining. Everything about them is interesting, and they seem to understand you on an intrinsic level. They fill a void you did not know you had. You can't imagine life without them. You'll live and die for this person, you are now under their command.

You lose your activated abilities. You win with the cultist win condition now. If the Cult Leader dies, you die.

You win when the cult comprises half of the town and no threats to it remain in the game.

Third-Party

quote:

You are a Serial Killer.
Factional Night Kill

When you still retained your sanity, you were a member of a cult. Once an upstanding member of society, your mind was warped against your will by a silver-tongued merchant of false promises. You alone survived a mass-suicide, but were left irreparably changed. You don't remember who the cult leader was, but you've tracked the cult here to Pinetop leaving a trail of bodies on your path for vengeance.

You have a factional night-kill. Once per night, you may PM me the name of a player to kill.

You win if you are the only player left alive or nothing can prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Role Clarifications
  • Cult Leader Investigation Immunity will return a result that does not give away the Cult Leader's alignment. This has effect on Cult Investigator, Lie Detector.
  • Cult Investigator is one-shot bullet proof, but if they recruit the Serial Killer, they will die regardless of BP status.
  • The Serial Killer will not convert if recruited.

1. imgay
  2. Ixtlilton
  3. jon joe
  4. Kleedrac
  5. Mozzafiato
  6. Opopanax
  7. Pinterest Mom
  8. Somberbrero
  9. TMMadman
  10. Tremendous Taste

Replacements
  • Hiipfire

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 12, 2015

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
put me down as a replacement

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Two things before I do or do not sign up:

What's a 'factional' night kill?

If the cult leader is 1-shot investigation immune, but the open setup contains no other method to prevent an investigation, isn't that the same as saying "this is the cult leader!" which is even worse than non being investigation immune?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yes

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

jon joe posted:

Two things before I do or do not sign up:

What's a 'factional' night kill?

If the cult leader is 1-shot investigation immune, but the open setup contains no other method to prevent an investigation, isn't that the same as saying "this is the cult leader!" which is even worse than non being investigation immune?

It's just the standard serial killer kill ability.

The investigation immune will return a 'not cult result'. The other investigation abilities won't affect it(watcher, sk investigation). Lie detector would however be negated in this instance. I'll clean it up for clarification, but I'll handle the result in such away that alignment is not discerned as a result.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ok

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

It's just the standard serial killer kill ability.

The investigation immune will return a 'not cult result'. The other investigation abilities won't affect it(watcher, sk investigation). Lie detector would however be negated in this instance. I'll clean it up for clarification, but I'll handle the result in such away that alignment is not discerned as a result.

So if the lie detector asked the cult recruiter "Are you the cult recruiter?" and the cult recruiter answered "no", it would return true if the one-shot immunity had not yet been used?

edit: Also, signing up

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

jon joe posted:

So if the lie detector asked the cult recruiter "Are you the cult recruiter?" and the cult recruiter answered "no", it would return true if the one-shot immunity had not yet been used?

edit: Also, signing up

Yep, that's correct.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If the cult-recruiter recruits the SK while he still has the 1-shot bulletproof, does he outright die or does the 1-shot get spent and the SK not recruited?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

jon joe posted:

If the cult-recruiter recruits the SK while he still has the 1-shot bulletproof, does he outright die or does the 1-shot get spent and the SK not recruited?

He'd die. BP will protect him from being killed by SK night kill once, but won't save him from recruiting the SK.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

He'd die. BP will protect him from being killed by SK night kill once, but won't save him from recruiting the SK.

Just to be clear, the SK doesn't get recruited and therefore immediately die the recruiter tries to recruit him right?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also, does the FBI Psychologist get told if a person is a cultist if they target them on the same night they are recruited?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
If the recruiter tries to recruit the SK, they will die and flip on the next day with any cultists. If the SK tries to kill the recruiter it will fail the first time.

jon joe posted:

Also, does the FBI Psychologist get told if a person is a cultist if they target them on the same night they are recruited?

Yep, this is correct.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

If the recruiter tries to recruit the SK, they will die and flip on the next day with any cultists. If the SK tries to kill the recruiter it will fail the first time.

I was asking if the SK gets recruited into the cult when targeted for recruitment, therefore immediately giving town the victory? Because you never state he has recruitment immunity, only that he kills the cult leader when recruited.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

jon joe posted:

I was asking if the SK gets recruited into the cult when targeted for recruitment, therefore immediately giving town the victory? Because you never state he has recruitment immunity, only that he kills the cult leader when recruited.

Ah my bad, no the SK doesn't convert. He just becomes the game main bad guy at that point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
In.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I am the only person here who actually likes cults so yes

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I can play a game. It's been a while. Why not?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I am the only person here who actually likes cults so yes

It's a good band imo

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GG your games fun, let me play

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole
I would like to play

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I want in on this :)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I'll do this one too. Hey, I played one game, now I've signed up for two at once!

At least, it seems like there is a spot still open.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
There is. I'll send out role PMs in a bit, out running errands.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the bext

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Confirming that I'm the serial killer.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really disagree with jon joe.
Meandering to us like fools.
God wouldn't have wanted this.
A good player makes friends.
You really need to friend me on myspace

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
All role PMs have been sent out. If you did not receive a PM you are Vanilla Town. If you have questions, PM them to me. The game has begun.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (10): imgay, Ixtlilton, jon joe, Kleedrac, Mozzafiato, Opopanax, Pinterest Mom, Somberbrero, TMMadman, Tremendous Taste

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch. The current deadline is July 14th, 2015 at 9 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
First day is a little bit longer than 48 hours just so I have time to get home from work during deadline.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Confirming I'm not the recruiter (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mozzafiato
Jul 6, 2015

Tagliagole

Opopanax posted:

Confirming I'm not the recruiter (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ditto

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

confirming that i did not receive a role pm

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jon joe posted:

Confirming that I'm the serial killer.

Re-confirming this, but for realsies this time.

In other news, I propose the following; that we should only hunt cult until the cult leader is dead. The serial killer investigator should keep their results private until the cult leader is dead, as it is my calculation that having the serial killer alive and assuming he/she is safe will be the best, as it adds an ally-of-convenience against the cult. After all, it becomes increasingly hard to lynch the cult leader as the game goes on, so we need the serial killer to kill them during the night if we fail to correctly identify the leader. The serial killer investigator keeps results private, including from his or her mason buddy, in case said mason buddy is recruited.

Thoughts?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, now that I give it second thought, isn't that bad? The serial killer would, optimally, want the cultist leader to recruit a good number of people before killing them (or, getting lucky an being recruited). In the mean time they would focus on killing town member unti probably night 3, at which point they start hunting cultists/the cult leader.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Though I guess we also don't know if the cult starts with any regular members? I would assume not, but the OP isn't clear about that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jon joe posted:

Though I guess we also don't know if the cult starts with any regular members? I would assume not, but the OP isn't clear about that.

There's no "You are a cultist" role pm.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's no "You are a cultist" role pm.

Ah yeah, there's the word "now" there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014