Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know how some people make really nice OPs with lots of pictures? Wait, do people still do that even? I honestly don't know!

Well, pretend the official show page is the OP, because I could never make anything as nice as this:

http://www.sundance.tv/series/rectify

Rectify is the greatest television show of all time. That's what I thought after the 6 episode first season. I still think that season is perfect in every way and stands with the greatest in television OR film. It is a masterpiece.

Season 2 was 10 episodes, and at times the length seemed to hurt the narrative, as it had more weak moments than season 1 (because season 1 had zero weak moments). But it was still chilling and profoundly good.

The teasers and trailers for season 3 are focused on the crime aspect, the murder/rape. Well, by now, both of those are "alleged" because the only people who were there are dead, or were on mushrooms at the time, or are not talking, or a mix of all three. Daniel "confessed" at the end of season 2 but this is a show where nothing is that simple, and all signs pointed to the confession being a way for Daniel to end the nightmare rather than an outpouring of objective truth.

Will season 3 give us answers or just more Southern Gothic philosophy? If we're lucky, both.

Premiers tomorrow (Thursday, July 9) at 10/9 EST/CST on Sundance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is back to six eps, right? I really can't wait. I think the second did feel a little meandering at times, although god drat if it didn't end perfectly.

Also here's a great interview with star Aden Young ahead of this season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Preview clip: http://www.tvguide.com/news/rectify-season-3-amantha-daniel-confession/

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

You know how some people make really nice OPs with lots of pictures? Wait, do people still do that even? I honestly don't know!

Yeah, and they usually annoyed me cuz most of them would have enough information & pics to fill multiple encyclopedia volumes, but they'd forget

quote:

Premiers tomorrow (Thursday, July 9) at 10/9 EST/CST on Sundance.

the most important thing. Good job, awesome OP!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bown posted:

This season is back to six eps, right? I really can't wait. I think the second did feel a little meandering at times, although god drat if it didn't end perfectly.

Also here's a great interview with star Aden Young ahead of this season.

I fell out of Season 2 but Season 1 was beautiful.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Due to the Season 4 renewal, I'm guessing that Trey won't be arrested for Hannah's murder this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, I could absolutely see this season concluding the murder mystery, with season 4 being wide open to explore more "Daniel adjusting to normal life" thing.

I mean, season 1 was only 7 days, and season 2 was, I want to say at most a couple weeks? So Daniel has still been a free man less than a month. Still got a lot of culture shock and prison wisdom to go. :)

edit: hell they could even keep the cop stuff around by having the town go all "Trey was wrongly imprisoned! Put the real monster in jail!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you feel like watching the second episode, Sundance threw it online: http://www.sundance.tv/watch-now/rectify/4344646924001/thrill-ride

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
god I'm glad it's just 6, last season just loving dragged on and on.

I read last season's confession as him remembering new details he'd not known rather than him saying poo poo to get out of the stress of the whole thing. Was that not right?

thatguy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 10, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

He did eventually say he killed her in order to get it over with so he could leave.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

If you feel like watching the second episode, Sundance threw it online: http://www.sundance.tv/watch-now/rectify/4344646924001/thrill-ride

Oh thank God they're putting the eps online this year. I didn't want to resort to :filez: since we don't use cable TV at all, and even if we did I don't think we'd get Sundance in the Basic package.

Gonna watch both episodes as soon as I get home. Pretty psyched.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Clayne Crawford is loving incredible in these first two episodes. Teddy's the best character on the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Especially in the second episode, Crawford is just killing it this year. He's on par with Aden Young now.

The Sheriff continues to be awesome as well. But I have no idea what the point of that scene with the Senator in the diner will end up being.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Clayne Crawford is loving incredible in these first two episodes. Teddy's the best character on the show.

The scene with Jared in the car gave me chills. It was probably the first time we've seen him be so self-reflective and realizing his own flaws, too -- while simultaneously spying on his estranged wife.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching the premiere now. Did Janet confuse Daniel with Teddy re: Willie D's love? :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Watching the premiere now. Did Janet confuse Daniel with Teddy re: Willie D's love? :ohdear:

If this were any other show, I'd think they were setting up an Alzheimer's plotline. But I think it was more meant to show the extent to which Daniel just doesn't fit in their lives right now.

What's up with Jared's girlfriend Claire? Is he going to serial kill her to set up season 4 or something? He was barely in season 2 at all, aside from being a creeper.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Jared's main gig is getting totally shut the gently caress out of what is going on with his family at any given time so I think the idea is that his unhealthy curiosity about Daniel's murder case is a reaction to being so coddled (even in season 1 he had a whole book of press clippings)

I doubt it's going anywhere too extreme but he has to blow up sometime. I guess at least Teddy is spending time with him even if it's not going to help his issues around privacy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

If this were any other show, I'd think they were setting up an Alzheimer's plotline. But I think it was more meant to show the extent to which Daniel just doesn't fit in their lives right now.

yeah, it just bummed me out. poor Daniel :(

still not seen ep 2 but there are subs now so I'll be on it soon. loved the premiere though.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
I'm putting off episode 2 so I don't have to wait MORE than a week to watch the next one - same reason I stopped myself from viewing the GoT leaks. drat though, the first episode alone is enough to know this show hasn't lost any of its luster. I think my favorite parts are Daniel's misadventures / random interactions with strangers (his lunch with the old culture-vulture women as well as the bookstore owner comes to mind), but Crawford is really starting to steal the show. \

I feel very lucky to be watching this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is, like, wonderful. And so sad. So goddamn sad.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
The pain of knowing the second episode is out there but forcing myself to not watch it hurts. I love this show so drat much.

Whenever I feel sad, I just watch this gif and I instantly feel a billion times sadder.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I am truly dismayed that nobody seems to know about/watch this show. To me, it's by far the best show on television and one of the most beautiful shows ever made, and I know tons of people I'm friends with who like good TV who would love it and I recommend it to them. If this show were on AMC it'd be the talk of the town.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, I think the Sundance Channel has a really tiny viewership.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sundance isn't really known for great original programming either, the only other thing I can think of is The Staircase which was good but far from great television.

If this show were on IFC it would probably be much bigger. Not sure how it would fare on AMC, I mean this show makes Mad Men look downright fast-paced.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
I think that was one of the series' best episodes of late. Amantha's decaying relationship with Daniel, Jon and Janet, and the loving Teddy stalkery. Pretty much every major cast member had a terrific showcase.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teddy's "bonding" with Jared was the stuff of nightmares.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I seriously think 302 is the best episode of this show since season 1. Incredible, powerful stuff.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bown posted:

I seriously think 302 is the best episode of this show since season 1. Incredible, powerful stuff.

Yes, no doubt. I binged on S1 and S2 and man, it was pretty awesome. S3 is off to a stellar start.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Well, Daniel and Amantha being happy roommates didn't last long.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Trey is so slimy. Of course Daniel's awkwardness is going to garner the attention.

But I wonder when the sheriff is gonna ask himself why Daniel would leave the note if he previously killed George.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 24, 2015

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
In last nights episode where Daniel is talking to the cop I might have started yelling out loud "SHUT THE gently caress UP RIGHT NOW DANIEL YOU SON OF A BITCH" and now my neighbors probably think I yell at the imaginary people in my head.

Also, Amantha :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got a fairly demanding new job and somehow forgot there was a new episode (probably because I'd watched the first two eps weeks ago). I just barely DON'T have enough time to watch the new one before work today. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK so, wow, yeah, this season is absolutely back to "season 1 quality". Last week Clayne Crawford loving killed it, and this week pretty much every performance was on point.

The Sheriff scene had perfect tension, and it's obvious that by now the Sheriff is actually becoming a little biased towards Daniel. He absolutely could have played things very differently. He could have had Daniel hauled in in chains, which is sadly what would probably have happened in real life. Daniel's a POI in either a murder or suicide and a possible coverup of such.

Amantha at the seminar, poo poo. It was hilarious and then suddenly it was just pathetic and awfully sad. I love how the crowd slowly but genuinely applauded her at the end. That was a perfect touch. Between this and her role on True Detective, she is killing it this year.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

How in the world does this thread have 32 replies. How. This show is incredible, S3 is starting off looking like the best season yet. Aden Young put on a real show in the new ep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, The Sheriff giving Trey the stink eye was amazing, his entire demeanor in that scene told you nonverbally that he could smell the bullshit on Trey and didn't like it one bit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

How in the world does this thread have 32 replies. How.

Because this show is on a channel that no one watches.

Just be glad it's not an HBO thread full of hatewatchers bitching every week about how slow the show is.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 26, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Just be glad it's not an HBO thread full of hatewatchers bitching every week about how slow the show is.

It's a TVIV miracle that Abigail Spencer is on both shows at the same time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the stuff at the seminar was a perfect parody of retail bullshit. The "THRIFTY" acrostic was loving hilarious.

This season is fantastic.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Are we thinking this season might stick another perfect landing? I'm in agreement with OP that 1 is immaculate - and so far 3 has me in the same trance.

Also, Trey is still a horrible sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Riled Shareef posted:

Are we thinking this season might stick another perfect landing? I'm in agreement with OP that 1 is immaculate - and so far 3 has me in the same trance.

Also, Trey is still a horrible sociopath.

S1 is immaculate but this season is so loving good so far.Also, don't worry, eventually this show will get it's due and all the autists will be in here explaining how the pattern of the paint on Daniel's roller is an invocation for Cthulhu. Also, nothing ever happens. And rape dolls.

• Locked thread