Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have a pretty well stocked bar, but we've burned through a lot of my (small) wine collection. My friend texted me while I was at the gym after work and told me a nearby liquor store was having a going out of business sale, so I decided to go down there and see if I could restock.

No red wine left on the shelf, but I got the following for $108:
  • Disaronno
  • Frangelico
  • 375 mL Silver Patron
  • Crown Royal (a gift for granpa)
  • 1.75 L Wild Turkey 101 (a gift for me)
  • Chimay Premier
  • 3 bottles of white wine
  • a bottle of port

The store announced their clearance today (50-65% off everything) and was nearly picked clean by the time I got there at 8 PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

With the "Lewis bag" seemingly unobtainable in the UK, something like this should be fine for crushing ice, right? My cheapo hand-cranked ice crusher has turned into a rust dispenser, and I quite like the idea of cathartically smashing things with a mallet before making a julep.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Wachter posted:

With the "Lewis bag" seemingly unobtainable in the UK, something like this should be fine for crushing ice, right? My cheapo hand-cranked ice crusher has turned into a rust dispenser, and I quite like the idea of cathartically smashing things with a mallet before making a julep.

Lewis Bags are not available in the UK?!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
What about this? http://www.cocktailkingdom.co.uk/lewis-bag

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I saw that, and oh, how I wish they had a UK outlet. According to the shipping calculator at the checkout, international shipping comes to £17.49 :negative:

Wachter fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 9, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
d'oh! To be honest, you should be find with most anything. For years, I used an oversized kitchen/tea towel for crushing both dry ice and normal ice. The lewis bag is definitely a bit more convenient, but I'm not sure it's worth > £10 in convenience.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Once while pretty buzzed at a party, I thought I could use a Crown Royal sack as a lewis bag.

The drink had plenty of crushed ice in it. Along with a ton of little purple fuzz. Still drank it.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Wachter posted:

I always just throw the ice in a ziplock and go at it with the handle of my muddler - works fine. You can even control the granularity of the ice after you get used to it.

First time ever hearing of a lewis bag actually.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've tried the Ziploc + muddler combo, but I've found that I'm often... overzealous, and tear the Ziploc. I've just bought a gently caress-off huge wooden mallet, so I'll give that a go before committing to the canvas bag. Much appreciated, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My only options for buying absinthe are Vieux Carre, Absente, Pernod, and Mephisto; what's most worth buying?

For that matter, howzabout ouzo and sambuca?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've used the regular Pernod for rinses and dashes in Tiki drinks, and my uncultured philistine palette can't tell the difference between that and my super-expensive Jade Esprit Edoard. It's nasty in any quantity, however.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Halloween Jack posted:

My only options for buying absinthe are Vieux Carre, Absente, Pernod, and Mephisto; what's most worth buying?

For that matter, howzabout ouzo and sambuca?

I'd say it depends on what you're looking to do with it. If you're looking for that anise flavor to balance out a sazerac, you're going to have a lot more flexibility (or rather it'll be a lot more forgiving) than drinking it straight up or in something like a suissesse. I've had the mephisto before and found it to be fairly poor. I've also had the vieux carre, but can't really seem to recall anything about it (so I guess it was fairly average?).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like it for Sazeracs and other absinthe cocktails, but I also want to drink it. Yeesh, should I just stick with Herbsaint?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I imagine buying a small length of canvas at a fabric store and sewing it into a bag would be way cheaper than getting the Cocktail Kingdom one (which I have).

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Halloween Jack posted:

I like it for Sazeracs and other absinthe cocktails, but I also want to drink it. Yeesh, should I just stick with Herbsaint?

Okay, I actually had some vieux carre left and tried it side-by-side with vieux pontarlier (which I like more). The vieux carre actually isn't too bad on it's own, but I still prefer the vieux pontarlier. Now if you excuse me, it's time to make a sazerac ;)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was excited because I misread the op as vieux pontarlier, which is amazing. But now I actually have nothing to offer, except that neither pernod nor herbsaint are absinthes, they are pastis

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I made my first Limmer's yesterday! Kenning, you're some kind of Alcohol Prophet. It was delicious, and I need to keep making it for every party forever.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 10, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The Maestro posted:

I was excited because I misread the op as vieux pontarlier, which is amazing. But now I actually have nothing to offer, except that neither pernod nor herbsaint are absinthes, they are pastis

Well, Pernod does actually have an absinthe you can buy in the US now. Makes it kinda confusing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just tried to mix Johnny Walker Black with Perrier and ugh whiskey flavored water. About 3 oz. of each w/ice and stirred for about 10 seconds, any ideas what went wrong?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

The SituAsian posted:

Just tried to mix Johnny Walker Black with Perrier and ugh whiskey flavored water. About 3 oz. of each w/ice and stirred for about 10 seconds, any ideas what went wrong?

Everything. Too much water for too much not ok but not decent whiskey

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also Scotch and Soda should be like 2 oz Scotch and 5 oz soda to be properly refreshing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The SituAsian posted:

Yow. Honestly, I don't think that's the kind of scotch you should be mixing with water. If you really want to, though, forget adding the 3oz, giving it a good healthy stir with just the ice for like 20 seconds will be plenty of water. I don't think you're gonna find it very harsh if you just drink it neat though

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I think your whiskey to water ratio is way off there. I agree with Kenning, you need to up your soda water drastically.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
To be clear: some people are saying more water, some less, and they're both right. If you're using soda water to make a Scotch and soda, up the soda; to basically drink straight scotch that's toned down a bit, use only a few milliliters of (non-sparkling) water.

Everyone's tastes are different and JW Red is one of he most popular scotches in the world, so I won't question your choice there. But if you're new to scotch, you may want to experiment. (And perhaps ask for recs in the whisk(e)y thread.)

E: And what you like straight up may also not be what you like in soda.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Also, give bourbon and soda a shot. My go-to is Buffalo Trace and soda. Tastes kinda like chewing a pencil and it's very refreshing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Thanks for the advice all. Ive only recently started drinking scotch after drinking mainly clear liquors since i started drinking at all.

Will definitely be checking out the whisky thread and trying stirring vigorously before adding water again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Thanks for the advice all. Ive only recently started drinking scotch after drinking mainly I clear liquors since i started drinking at all.
u
Will definitely be checking out the whisky thread and trying stirring vigorously before adding water again.

Try skipping the ice completely, too! You can always add ice if it turns out that way. Johnnie Walker would still probably not be my go-to (I don't think anyone will tell you it's bad, just that you could maybe get some better stuff that doesn't necessarily have the same marketing budget in that price range) but it's still a pretty smooth, inoffensive sipper at room temp and I'd at least give it a shot

tynam
May 14, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

If you want a proper highball (which I think is what you were going for), here are some additional tips:

1. Pre-chill the glass by adding ice, add flat water, stir for 20-30 seconds vigorously then dump the water. Add additional ice to top the glass.
2. Add the whiskey first, then the soda water. Kenning's ratio is fine, 1:2 is more common I think? Either way, you used way too much whiskey.
3. DON'T STIR. You don't want to kill the carbonation. Just put your barspoon all the way down in the glass and gently lift it up - this will naturally mix the two liquids.

I wouldn't use Perrier either as it has its own distinct flavor - use something more neutral instead. Also the soda water should be pre-chilled too to absolutely minimize melting. The ice is just there to keep your drink cold if it takes you too long to drink it - the drink will taste progressively worse the longer it sits and gets diluted.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Rockfish in Ginza doesn't use ice at all. Glass chilled, 1/3 whiskey (also chilled) then 2/3 soda water. Specifically, Wilkinson soda water but good luck finding it outside of Japan. No stirring or building. Then a lemon zest.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 13, 2015

tynam
May 14, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Rockfish in Ginza doesn't use ice at all. Glass chilled, 1/3 whiskey (also chilled) then 2/3 soda water. Specifically, Wilkinson soda water but good luck finding it outside of Japan. No stirring or building. Then a lemon zest.

Rockfish any good? I'll be hitting up Ginza again soon and started writing up a list of places to visit.

Without ice the glass has got to be really small, since 4.5oz of liquid will barely go up halfway a regular highball glass. It does sounds like the optimal way to do it though as long as the customer knows to drink it asap.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

You could also try a mizuwari.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yes Rockfish is a good time! Some other suggestions for Ginza are Little Smith, Marugin, and 300 Bar (if you want a 300 Yen Old Fashioned, this is the place).

Be careful where you order that "mizuwari" since you'll get always shochu instead of whiskey, unless you say "[whatever whiskey] mizuwari"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This now adorns the wall beside my drinks cabinet:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Wachter posted:

This now adorns the wall beside my drinks cabinet:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What are some beginner friendly tiki drinks with a lot of coconut? Summer is making me thirsty for some coconut.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Elderbean posted:

What are some beginner friendly tiki drinks with a lot of coconut? Summer is making me thirsty for some coconut.

Assuming you mean coconut cream, I think the easiest and best is a Painkiller. It's basically impossible to gently caress up as long as you use good ingredients in vaguely the right proportions and get it cold. I don't have a go-to recipe, I consult either DeGroff or Beachbum Berry depending on my mood, so here's both, together, make your own choices:

2-4oz pineapple juice
1oz orange juice
1oz coconut cream
2-3oz Jamaican rum (traditionally Pusser's, but gently caress it, any dark Jamaican, and I like it with Smith & Cross)

Either shake with crushed ice and pour it right in the glass, or shake and strain over new ice. Garnish with grated nutmeg (and grated cinnamon if you want) and an orange slice/pineapple slice/cinnamon stick/whatever you want.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Painkillers are my favourite thing to make with Coruba, since the pineapple provides the sweetness and Coruba is so funky.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

bloody ghost titty posted:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS

eBay!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I've had a bottle of amaretto sitting mostly untouched for more than a year until I finally tried making an amaretto sour. 1.5 amaretto, 1 simple, 0.75 lemon, on the rocks. The lemon goes a long way to balance out the otherwise overbearingly sweet liqueur, and while the result is still very close to being too sweet, it's nonetheless delicious, and has motivated me to seek out some other good recipes. Recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ralith posted:

I've had a bottle of amaretto sitting mostly untouched for more than a year until I finally tried making an amaretto sour. 1.5 amaretto, 1 simple, 0.75 lemon, on the rocks. The lemon goes a long way to balance out the otherwise overbearingly sweet liqueur, and while the result is still very close to being too sweet, it's nonetheless delicious, and has motivated me to seek out some other good recipes. Recommendations?

Add an egg white

edit: and some whiskey. this recipe is absolutely perfect IMO