Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Waffleopolis posted:

I need help with Skeletron on expert. So far I have a full Molten armor set rocketing, Deadly Molten Fury, and Deadly Space Gun. I also make a minecart track that goes back and forth to help keep my distance (though I do run into him occasionally). The main problem I am having is the projectile skull she shoots out after one or both armors have been destroyed.Finally, I'm at 200 health and I use a series of buffs and set up campfire around the tracks to increase my life regen. The problem I have with him is the projectile skulls he spews out after one of both hands are destroyed. I can't dodge them or block them off like imp's fireballs, and I get hit enough to where my rate of regen and consumption of health potions are not enough. Any pointers on killing him?

You want to be going in circles around him at that stage. I had good luck building a minecart loop. When you have an intersection, you can change which track gets priority with the hammer, so after hitting the right bouncer, the cart takes the upper track, and after hitting the left bouncer, the cart takes the lower track. I can post a screenshot later if that doesn't make sense.

Also, surely you mean 400 health, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Do peace candles completely override the increased spawning of water candles or the two just cancel each other out? Also can you wire peace candles to a switch to turn them off?

If they're anything like campfires, the buff still works when they're switched off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Well a proper dwarf always uses magma so I have to put some in his room. I know, I'll make a platform and then put lava underneath it! This worked with water so obviously I can pour magma under this glass without anything bad happening!"

:saddowns:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If they're anything like campfires, the buff still works when they're switched off.

Ah, well so much for making a monster farming area that could double as a boss arena then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

"Well a proper dwarf always uses magma so I have to put some in his room.

The walls of my doomfort are hollow with lava trapped in the cavity. Theoretically, anything trying to move through the walls will get burned on the way.

...won't kill them, but it's the principle of the thing.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I haven't played since just after 1.1 and I've forgotten pretty much everything but the basics. Can anyone recommend a video series I can watch to catch up with the changes and just see how the progression goes? Even a basic let's play will work for me.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

"Well a proper dwarf always uses magma so I have to put some in his room. I know, I'll make a platform and then put lava underneath it! This worked with water so obviously I can pour magma under this glass without anything bad happening!"

:saddowns:

Ah, well so much for making a monster farming area that could double as a boss arena then.

You might be looking for this http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Lavafall_Block

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I know it's just a red slime mask, but it looks like your character is wearing a red hood and looking down at the remains of Dias.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've already shown off two of my base designs, so I might as well show the rest of them.

This is my other hardmode world. An exercise in space efficiency, it basically just makes me feel like a slumlord. Which I'll admit is better than having the rooms vertical and feeling like a jailor. Of course I kind of made up for it with the sky biomes for the Truffle and Witch Doctor, plus the disco and greenhouse for the Party Girl and Dryad. Just visible in the bottom corners of the shot are my hellevator entrance and my boss arena.

This is technically part of the same base as above, accessible only through the teleporter. I mean, I had to get into the cave the normal way at first, then I walled it off after putting in the teleporter. It's my trophy room, with banners from when they were still only rare drops. The teleporter has three switches linked to it, although only two function, one to the surface, the other to hell.

And this is my "home" world, the first one I made. It's still not in hardmode, and it was created back in 2012, so everything's still square and funky, except for the Living Wood room I put in while it was still fresh and new. Notable features include sky islands that are entirely made of dirt with buildings of metal brick.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I really wish there was a better way to trigger the martian invasion besides "Hope a rare as gently caress enemy shows up maybe possibly"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kazil posted:

I really wish there was a better way to trigger the martian invasion besides "Hope a rare as gently caress enemy shows up maybe possibly"

Don't worry, as soon as you've gotten what you want from it and the Martian invasion because a nuisance you'd rather not deal with, said enemy will show up over and over and over! :suicide:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't worry, as soon as you've gotten what you want from it and the Martian invasion because a nuisance you'd rather not deal with, said enemy will show up over and over and over! :suicide:

Yeah, story of Terraria. Annoying to find if you need it and saturated if you don't.

But yeah the lunar event is balls annoying without a UFO mount.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Does anyone have a picture of the smallest possible acceptable room for an NPC? I actually want to be a jailor for my expert mode run, but I don't remember the exact setup I saw in this thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

drat me why do I continue to seek the Ankh? I know this quest will bring me nothing but pain.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It ironically seems way easier to get on expert. I got two nazars on my first trip through the dungeon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Drops are doubled on Expert. If you can handle the extra damage it's a good idea to farm items on Expert.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LightningSquid posted:

Does anyone have a picture of the smallest possible acceptable room for an NPC? I actually want to be a jailor for my expert mode run, but I don't remember the exact setup I saw in this thread.

30 tiles inside, a torch, a flat object (table, workbench, some other random stuff), a comfort item (like a chair or toilet), a wooden platform or door on the outside of the room.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LightningSquid posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/House

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You know what I came here for, Pixies. Give it up and the hurting can cease. I'll return to my own world and you can rebuild your lives.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

30 tiles inside, a torch, a flat object (table, workbench, some other random stuff), a comfort item (like a chair or toilet), a wooden platform or door on the outside of the room.

It needs to be 60 tiles, but that includes the blocks at the borders. So you can do a 5 wide x 12 tall house, which has a 3x10 habitable area, or you can do an 8x8 house with a 7x7 interior, etc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hmm... Ichor Arrows or Holy Arrows for the Phantasm?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not having played since 1.1 the biggest news no-one in this thread has mentioned is holy poo poo clowns don't destroy blocks anymore, it's safe to take your fancy houses into hardmode without fear or dungeon blocks.

I've still got 3 separate worlds though: normal, hardmode, expert (normal for now and seeded (literally) with hallow, corruption and crimson).

I've defeated Golem easily a few times to get the Picksaw but I tried Fishron and got completely stomped. Any tips for FIshron? Is there a certain type of arena I need to build or just get lucky and dope myself up on every potion imaginable? Is it worth trying to start the Lunar stuff first?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Any tips for a newer player? I know the basics of crafting, but what should be my goal after building a house? Should I just follow the tutorial posted in the OP?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Craft a hook ASAP. The boost in mobility this gives you cannot be stressed enough.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've realized something about gathering paintings. In the old world generation parameters, underground houses were all kinds of funky shaped, but they were solid. The new ones are nice and rectangular, but they're heavily damaged, so there usually isn't a section of background wall large enough for paintings to spawn, as they just pop off if a tile of wall is missing. In my entire world, I've only found one painting in an underground cabin. You used to see them fairly regularly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mylan posted:

My first attempt at expert skelly was using a long minecart track. It sucked, and I'd recommend against it. Instead, all you really need is a decently long flat surface, I just used a platform above the dungeon entrance, lined with campfires and heart lamps. My gear was meteorite armor, space gun. Most importantly, the accessories. Spectre boots, a balloon, shield of cthulhu, worm scarf, all reforged for +3 or +4 armor. The shield is the most important, it lets you reverse direction at full speed on both the ground and the air and is critical to dodging a lot of skeletron's bullshit. Throw in the usual potion buffs and you should be good to go.

I used this video as sort of a guide to my own strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfIRGozY02Y He doesn't have anything useful to say so just hit mute.

I now fully understand that episode of south park.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

I've defeated Golem easily a few times to get the Picksaw but I tried Fishron and got completely stomped. Any tips for FIshron? Is there a certain type of arena I need to build or just get lucky and dope myself up on every potion imaginable? Is it worth trying to start the Lunar stuff first?

I had the best luck stacking lots of +melee and hammering on him with Vampire Knives. Slow but sure.
My 'arena' was just a campfire, heart lantern and honey bath to keep my health up. I probably should have hauled over my heart statue machine too.

Make sure you have good wings though (steampunk is good).

(Note that I got annihilated in Chlorophyte armour the first time I tried. Beetle armor seemed to help a lot)

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

VodeAndreas posted:

If you can defeat golem easily, go ahead and do the lunar events. Even if you can't beat the moon lord, you'll get the crafting materials from the pillars for fantastic upgrades from there, in particular the phantasm if you're ranged, and the stardust dragon summon no matter what spec you're running

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I had the best luck stacking lots of +melee and hammering on him with Vampire Knives. Slow but sure.
My 'arena' was just a campfire, heart lantern and honey bath to keep my health up. I probably should have hauled over my heart statue machine too.

Make sure you have good wings though (steampunk is good).

(Note that I got annihilated in Chlorophyte armour the first time I tried. Beetle armor seemed to help a lot)

I got the Fire Feather when I was farming up a Magma Stone so I've been rocking the fire wings which are pretty similar to the Steampunk wings. I am still in Chlorphate armour but got a few sets of beetle bits from my Golem kills so might be worth making.

I think I'll try out the Lunar Cultist to kick all that off, if it's too hard for me right now I'll switch over to making more Expert progression instead or let my herb garden grow for a while - so many things to do!

e: Destroyed Stardust and Nebula pillars, I think this dragon wins the game for me now :stare:

e2: Yeah I think I might need better than Chlorphate armour for the Moon Lord too.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 12, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any easy ways of farming Life Crystals other than just going to new worlds and going around with Spelunking potions? I need about 30 more lanterns for my skybridge.

Also gently caress Eclipses, everything does so much damage. And despite killing so many enemies and 5+ Mothrons I got literally 1 drop: Bat wings. Which make significantly worse wings than my current ones. I guess the banners will make it easier next time.

By the way, do banners stack? Like if I put 2 zombie banners would that be 0.5x0.5 to make them do 75% less damage and take 75% more?

EDIT: Oh maybe I shouldn't have done the Eclipse in my arena with water candles.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 12, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RatHat posted:

Any easy ways of farming Life Crystals other than just going to new worlds and going around with Spelunking potions? I need about 30 more lanterns for my skybridge.

what seems to be the problem officer

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's life fruits I'm short of. They're too drat small to spot easily even with Spelunking, I still only have 440 health fighting the Moonlord.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Landing/launching ramp for a minecart track:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Solar Eclipse->Blood Moon->Solar Eclipse

:suicide:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

word of warning, as I do not know if it is a bug : the Drill Containment Unit can destroy demon/crimson altars without causing health loss or hardmode ore spawns.

it's really weird, because it's NOT a hammer

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Excelzior posted:

word of warning, as I do not know if it is a bug : the Drill Containment Unit can destroy demon/crimson altars without causing health loss or hardmode ore spawns.

it's really weird, because it's NOT a hammer

To be fair, by the time you reach it you probably don't really need those anymore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh why do you need so much Chlorophyte in this game. They couldn't have made Spectre Bars use Hallowed Bars instead?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Ugh why do you need so much Chlorophyte in this game. They couldn't have made Spectre Bars use Hallowed Bars instead?

Given that Chlorophyte ore is the only ore you can make farms for, I'm glad they did.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Seems to grow pretty slow to me. And Hallowed Bars are way easier to farm, don't be silly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Make the farms deeper. Chlorophyte grows faster the deeper it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Supremezero posted:

Given that Chlorophyte ore is the only ore you can make farms for, I'm glad they did.

yeah as long as you save your mud from your jungle excursions, it's surprisingly no big deal to farm it. It looks more complicated than it actually is.

It grows in any biome, as long as you're below the halfway mark from underground to caverns or something. And only so much can grow in an area.

I'm fuzzy on the details but I placed a few five by five squares of mud alongside my hellavator around a screen apart, right now they're entirely chlorophyte.

You could probably do something similar with your wall of flesh highway.

It's far less painful than search for adamentium (which goes obsolete so quickly after you have access to it, if you git gud you do not need that armor for the mech bosses)

The Lone Badger posted:

It's life fruits I'm short of. They're too drat small to spot easily even with Spelunking, I still only have 440 health fighting the Moonlord.

I still don't get the big deal with spelunking glowsticks.
Spelunking you're going to want specific things like the life fruits or crystals or specific ores. From the lantern or glowsticks effects I can't tell any of that poo poo apart, but potions at the very least let you see exactly what treasure is and lets you see ore texture.

By the time you're in hardmode you should have the means to produce spelunker potions, and now that you can craft from chests brewing is completely effortless too.