Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Kitchner posted:

Only because it holds real value and worth.

Hole £5,000 of Monopoly money in your hands and tell me it feels as good.

Exactly, it holds value, and you possess it, while other, more deserving people don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The rape gangs episode was on yesterday and Tasha was talking about how she was 5 years old running from the rape gangs and I pictured a whole planet of

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All of the greedy garbage assholes and probably religious humans too blew each other up in WW3, and I guess a few stragglers who left Earth early and eventually founded failed rape colonies or boring stupid clone worlds.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Howard Beale posted:

If it's my 20s then it would include smoking the best space dank ever hydroponically engineered in zero-G. I can live with that.

Gotta forget how aimless you are somehow, I suppose.

Anyway, Star Trek is a metaphor for one's perfect future, and I guess some people's perfect futures involve smoking all day. Not judging, but perhaps some people feel guilty about this.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

EvilGenius posted:

The worst part is, you could be pretty successful on your own terms, you know get a job in middle management or something, but in a universe where you're given everything you need to achieve, you have nothing to blame but the confines of your genetic fart of a brain for your relative failure. You can't blame it on your background or circumstances.

You're also forbidden from enhancing your genetic fart of a brain by people whose natural intelligence and charisma allowed them to rise to positions of power. The Federation's elites conspire to maintain their stranglehold on power by condemning countless billions to live in genetic poverty.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Moridin920 posted:

I dunno why everyone is so hung up on 'working for nothing.' There's lots of reasons a person would want to do something other than money.

I mean yeah 95% of humans are probably doing drugs and holodecking on the homeworld, 4% are off colonizing because they're just weirdos (what you've never met hippies that go hiking and camping all the loving time talking about how technology is ruining us?) and the other 1% are the hypernerds who just want to be on a starship. Why work on a star ship? Well hopefully one day you can captain one or get your name written down in the history holos at least.

In general, people like to work or do things. It makes them depressed and unhappy if they have no purpose or goal and they just sit on their rear end doing nothing all their life. Maybe 300-400 years into the future they are more concerned with their personal well being than money. I have friends that legit just love to cook. I know someone who has told me "honestly I don't care what they pay me, as long as I can afford rent and a few tall boys every day I'm chillin'. I just love cooking." There's your Sisko's dad types.

Man kind has literally never been in this situation, and isn't psychologically equipped to deal with it. We struggled to eat. Then agriculture and money were invented. We struggled for money. Take that struggle away and people go a bit mental. You see it with lottery winners all the time.

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds like a personal problem to me, my 20s are great. Maybe you should go see Counselor Troi there, Lt. Broccoli.

Yeah, my 20s sucked.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 12, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fortunately there's starfleet, which gives people the opportunity to die on alien worlds far from home

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

you call it struggle i call it subconsciously yearning for your own death *seals self in room with holobabes and a replicator that teleports pizza directly into my mouth, realizing the human ideal*

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The main struggle of the 24th century is trying not to have your computer lodge bits of itself in your skull whenever it bluescreens

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Exactly, it holds value, and you possess it, while other, more deserving people don't.

Yeah but in the Star Trek universe it means poo poo, as even if you had billions of bars of gold pressed latinum if you lived in the Federation you just replicate whatever you want anyway.

So if money is utterly worthless, and pretty much the only thing you can do is something like "Yeah I bought a spaceship/moon because I'm hella rich" no one gives two fucks because they are being a guitarist like they always wanted to be then coming home and eating replicated top quality lobster with champagne in their luxury apartment.

Money only has worth because it's needed to purchase things, but most of their things are free.

You only feel good holding a ton of cash because it basically feels powerful, you have something that others don't. If literally the only thing your $5,000 bought you was something hardly anyone gave two fucks about it wouldn't feel as good to hold.

I think basically the only things I can think of that are "status symbols" in the star trek universe are basically excelling in your field of whatever (Jake's a great writer, Sisko's dad is a great chef, plenty of great scientists), holding an official position within the federation (even being an ensign who graduated starfleet is actually pretty cool compared to average joe loser), or owning your own ship.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also something that occurred to me today was how hosed up the universal translators are.

Like the idea is that some alien talks to me in utter gibberish that is their language, and the translator just techno-magic's the english into my ears.

So you've got maybe Picard speaking English, Troi speaking Betazed, some blue guy speaking blue guy language, and a Romulan on the screen speaking Romulan, but thanks to technology it all sounds English.

If this is true, why the gently caress do we ever hear Klingons speaking Klingson?

They come on board and they are like "Ha you! Picard! I will believe you are weak and pathetic like a human but then you will prove yourself worthy of respect before the end of the episode!" but then when he has won their respect they are like "K'Plah!" or whatever.

Has this ever been explained because I literally only realised the other day how loving stupid this is.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They're using the "Klingon Weeaboo" translator setting that leaves random words untranslated

All according to

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Kitchner posted:

Only because it holds real value and worth.

Hole £5,000 of Monopoly money in your hands and tell me it feels as good.

Depends on whether or not I'm playing Monopoly

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Also something that occurred to me today was how hosed up the universal translators are.

Like the idea is that some alien talks to me in utter gibberish that is their language, and the translator just techno-magic's the english into my ears.

So you've got maybe Picard speaking English, Troi speaking Betazed, some blue guy speaking blue guy language, and a Romulan on the screen speaking Romulan, but thanks to technology it all sounds English.

If this is true, why the gently caress do we ever hear Klingons speaking Klingson?

They come on board and they are like "Ha you! Picard! I will believe you are weak and pathetic like a human but then you will prove yourself worthy of respect before the end of the episode!" but then when he has won their respect they are like "K'Plah!" or whatever.

Has this ever been explained because I literally only realised the other day how loving stupid this is.

EXPERIENCE BIJ.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Planets don't have the right to succeed from the Federation right? Like if some useful planet near the Cardassian border just said "No thank you we wanna be self ruled, thanks for the replicator tech and holo rooms" the federation would just send a couple ships their way and install someone in power who liked the federation I imagine. Has a planets succession ever been the topic of an episode?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The Maquis, covered extensively in DS9 and somewhat in TNG and Voyager. They were Cardassian-bordering colonies who got sick of the Cardassians effecting terrorism onto them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Depends on whether or not I'm playing Monopoly

That's true, if I really want to loving beat someone at Monopoly holding someone's last $5,000 probably feels pretty great.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Planets don't have the right to succeed from the Federation right? Like if some useful planet near the Cardassian border just said "No thank you we wanna be self ruled, thanks for the replicator tech and holo rooms" the federation would just send a couple ships their way and install someone in power who liked the federation I imagine. Has a planets succession ever been the topic of an episode?

No I'm pretty sure they can just leave.

The problem with the Marquis was more that they kept killing Cardassians.

So the Cardassians wanted to just waste all the planets and kill all the colonists and the Federation didn't want genocide on their doorstep.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Pththya-lyi posted:

What I don't understand is how the Federation citizens managed to pay for the services at Quark's bar. Canonically, the Ferengis deal in latinum because it can't be replicated, so how did Starfleet officers get their hands on the latinum? Did the Federation allocate it to them (essentially paying them a salary or stipend), or are they all involved in side-businesses that earn latinum?

E: fixed typo

There was an episode where Jake and that annoying little kid Ferengi somehow got gold pressed latinum. It's not explained how they got it, and we're left with the conclusion that Quark gave it to them for "services". That's not the strange part, they used it to bid on items in an auction and there were a bunch of Starfleet members there bidding as well. Where did they get gold pressed latinum?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Yaos posted:

There was an episode where Jake and that annoying little kid Ferengi somehow got gold pressed latinum. It's not explained how they got it, and we're left with the conclusion that Quark gave it to them for "services".

I think the implication was that they were Nog's wages from working in Quark's bar.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Apoplexy posted:

The Maquis, covered extensively in DS9 and somewhat in TNG and Voyager. They were Cardassian-bordering colonies who got sick of the Cardassians effecting terrorism onto them.

the loving Maquis Sisko was right, gas em all.

You don't put phasers on a ship unless you plan to use them, so I'm pretty sure the Feds use the stick when the replicated carrot fails.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm watching Trancers 2 right now and the evil dominion guy with the big lips is in it with a black leather duster and a goatee.

poo poo is hilarious.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yaos posted:

There was an episode where Jake and that annoying little kid Ferengi somehow got gold pressed latinum. It's not explained how they got it, and we're left with the conclusion that Quark gave it to them for "services". That's not the strange part, they used it to bid on items in an auction and there were a bunch of Starfleet members there bidding as well. Where did they get gold pressed latinum?

I'm pretty sure it's as tat dude said, that the Federation can give money to their staff if they need to.

Since all the federation staff are living on a station with loads of shops that use money and it's above a planet that uses money I wouldn't be surprised if they give them some cash.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilGenius posted:

I always kind of disliked this element of Star Trek. There's no money, yet there are no wasters. There are no people just perpetually drinking and partying.

Wait, how do you know there aren't burnouts or slackers in the Federation? And what's wrong with there being burnouts and slackers?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I figured if people showed themselves to be a drain on society the Federation quietly eliminated them by age 25 or so. Isn't that what Section 31 does?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

oldpainless posted:

I figured if people showed themselves to be a drain on society the Federation quietly eliminated them by age 25 or so. Isn't that what Section 31 does?

No Section 31 kills gays and trans people.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, how do you know there aren't burnouts or slackers in the Federation? And what's wrong with there being burnouts and slackers?

Haven't I been saying how with a utopian society there is I impetus for that stuff?

Kitchner posted:

No Section 31 kills gays and trans people.

Homosexuality and thinking you're in the wrong body is corrected in vitro.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slackers and party animals aren't a problem. As a federation citizen you are entitled to housing, food, clothing etc., but you aren't entitled to housing in any particular neighborhood. Real estate is not infinite. People who contribute nothing to society have low priority for housing in the most in demand areas.

Instead they could have slacker cities. Hedonist cities. Just as safe, clean and nice as the important cities. Just as much green space and automated amenities. The only difference is that no one who lives there does anything important. As long as your behavior isn't a health and safety hazard it is allowed, and you are housed with like minded people. Assholes who want to play their music at maximum volume and leave all the doors and windows in their apartment open so the neighbors have to hear it to are free to do so, but they get moved to an apartment block full of nothing but noisy assholes. Want to toke up all day every day? Welcome to Stoner Island. They won't become ghettos, because the construction and maintenance is just as good as every other city on earth. It's not even punishment, because most slackers and party animals would prefer to live among their own kind than constantly deal with the judgement and scorn of successful people.

Stoner Island never gets a TV show, because that's not the part of the future Roddenberry wanted to showcase.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

The rape gangs episode was on yesterday and Tasha was talking about how she was 5 years old running from the rape gangs and I pictured a whole planet of

She must not have had to run very fast.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

A trans poster in byob many years ago suggested this idea and had no problem with it whatsoever.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Reg Barclay is a functional addict. That's literally all he is is a holodeck addict who manages to barely keep his life in Starfleet together. That's one example of a loser (or loser-esque figure) in the Federation of the future.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Haven't I been saying how with a utopian society there is I impetus for that stuff?

Nah, I don't think the federation would believe being gay is a defect that needs to be cured by in vitro manipulation. What is this, the Eugenics Wars!

I like the answer the Roddenberry gave when a bunch of nerds were moaning that their captain was a bald man and why didn't Picard's parents delete the gene for pattern baldness or why didn't Jean Luc get Mr Mott to repolarise his hair follicles or why didn't he just wear a hat all the time so nobody could see the top of his head but everyone would really knows he's a bit thin on top but they're just too polite to voice it.

The official answer is that, by the 24th century, nobody cares.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Figaro posted:

Nah, I don't think the federation would believe being gay is a defect that needs to be cured by in vitro manipulation. What is this, the Eugenics Wars!

I like the answer the Roddenberry gave when a bunch of nerds were moaning that their captain was a bald man and why didn't Picard's parents delete the gene for pattern baldness or why didn't Jean Luc get Mr Mott to repolarise his hair follicles or why didn't he just wear a hat all the time so nobody could see the top of his head but everyone would really knows he's a bit thin on top but they're just too polite to voice it.

The official answer is that, by the 24th century, nobody cares.

except Kirk

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Lord of Pie posted:

except Kirk

Kirk didn't even like wearing glasses, he's not going to fess up to wearing a rug

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
imagine if picard and the gang wandered into something they just knew

this was it

that was all there was to it

just some great void, couldn't be fought

and picard puts his hands above his eyes and starts crying, and then everyone else starts crying too

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Figaro posted:

Kirk didn't even like wearing glasses, he's not going to fess up to wearing a rug

He's had a tribble sitting on his head for years, that's why he hates being around Klingons

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Replicators gently caress up Star Trek so bad I hate them more than transporters. With transporters you can at least understand their usefulness as a plot device. Replicators render so much of what people do in the show completely redundant. What is Cassidy Yates hauling around in her cargo ship when the only consumer goods with scarcity are collectors items? 99.9% of the money economy revolves around art auctions and gambling for more latinum to buy more art with. The other .1% is oo-mox.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Slackers and party animals aren't a problem. As a federation citizen you are entitled to housing, food, clothing etc., but you aren't entitled to housing in any particular neighborhood. Real estate is not infinite. People who contribute nothing to society have low priority for housing in the most in demand areas.

Instead they could have slacker cities. Hedonist cities. Just as safe, clean and nice as the important cities. Just as much green space and automated amenities. The only difference is that no one who lives there does anything important. As long as your behavior isn't a health and safety hazard it is allowed, and you are housed with like minded people. Assholes who want to play their music at maximum volume and leave all the doors and windows in their apartment open so the neighbors have to hear it to are free to do so, but they get moved to an apartment block full of nothing but noisy assholes. Want to toke up all day every day? Welcome to Stoner Island. They won't become ghettos, because the construction and maintenance is just as good as every other city on earth. It's not even punishment, because most slackers and party animals would prefer to live among their own kind than constantly deal with the judgement and scorn of successful people.

Stoner Island never gets a TV show, because that's not the part of the future Roddenberry wanted to showcase.

I figure that all that behaviour basically melts away or would get whittled down to a handful of small communities by the 24th century since spending all day smoking weed/playing games or whatever feels like more of an achievable coping mechanism for people trapped in the depressing daily grind of modern life, most people have a compelling psychological need to feel useful or do something with their time once outside forces stop sapping all their energy

I mean there's no reason you can't get some old starfleet surplus Oberth class, fix it up with built in vapes or something and gently caress off on your own space weed adventures like 7 of 9's parents, right?

On the bad side of that you end up with idiot bitch assholes like the Maquis, who settle near the territory of a fascist alien empire and act all surprised when they end up hosed inside their borders, and then refuse to leave even though people with fanstastic technology and practically free resources would have easily helped them relocate to garden worlds of the Maquis' choosing anywhere in their space

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
How the hell do transporters even work without some kind of receiver wherever the destination is? Like on a planets surface for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

there's the hippies cruising around in the hippy ship in that one tos ep. and there's risa, literally an entire planet dedicated to hedonism. there's loads of layabouts on the periphery but star trek isn't about them. it's about the small cross section of the federation population that enjoys living in metal cans in deep space and dying horrible ways to exotic alien monsters.

i bet they're perceived as profoundly mentally deranged by the civilian population. hey did you hear about sam? he blasted off to space, then a giant sentient cloud from another dimension came to our space through a subspace rip and mega hosed up his insides. yeah when it finished with him his intestines were where his brain was supposed to be. they inverted the polaron bullshit in the plasma coils or something to get rid of it. sam was always a weird dude, i guess this is how he wanted to go.

• Locked thread