Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
The last time I read there was nothing I found especially scummy I am going to try find something now!

~I hope to find a scum~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Amoeba102 posted:

All I got at the moment is Walrus is too hedgy, Max was too stubborn and Keane was tunneling. Have I missed anything else important?
This is a nice simple summary. Keane is the only one I would vote of the three.

WW I haven't played with in forever and I want to play with him and nothing he's said stands out to me as scummy. I've already commented that I'm not suspicious of Max.

In his exchange with Quidnose, Keane starts to go after Quid for his posts "being in conflict." I don't care for this reaction because it comes across as defensive to me.

Working theory: Keane as scum is annoyed for Quid's mostly meta/tone based callout and tries to argue in a distracting direction.

Going to let this idea simmer for a minute but I like it.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Keane reads better on page 14. Quidnose comes across as town. I'm mildly suspicious of Keane.

I don't have a strong conviction about any one player.

I'm going to ##unvote; ##vote Hal because I have a vague ~feeling~ about his posting and I want him to explain what he thinks of more players.

Other candidates for my mmm not sure vote: f_v for lack of content, Squiggly because his posts also give me a vague weird feeling. actually no in isolation his posts come across very town to me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Quid, Keane is actually working on contributing more to the game now. What are you doing?

I feel like Keane's contributions are actually just a joke

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

yuming posted:

Keane reads better on page 14. Quidnose comes across as town. I'm mildly suspicious of Keane.

I don't have a strong conviction about any one player.

I'm going to ##unvote; ##vote Hal because I have a vague ~feeling~ about his posting and I want him to explain what he thinks of more players.

Other candidates for my mmm not sure vote: f_v for lack of content, Squiggly because his posts also give me a vague weird feeling. actually no in isolation his posts come across very town to me.

I'm sorry yuming my thoughts at this point don't stretch beyond Walrus and a little bit of Keane. I think I remember seeing a spoonsy post I didn't really like too, I can try and go back and find it if that would help you realize the error of your ways.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Hal Incandenza posted:

Man, you sound like every sex partner I've ever had.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm sorry yuming my thoughts at this point don't stretch beyond Walrus and a little bit of Keane. I think I remember seeing a spoonsy post I didn't really like too, I can try and go back and find it if that would help you realize the error of your ways.
Yes let's do that.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I agree that Walrus isn't great, but I'm kind of uncomfortable with how they have, seemingly very quickly, become a target without many very good cases or reasoning on them.

IT WEIRD ME OUT.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I agree that Walrus isn't great, but I'm kind of uncomfortable with how they have, seemingly very quickly, become a target without many very good cases or reasoning on them.

IT WEIRD ME OUT.

The walrus vote is a good vote. He ignored not only my vote on him but also Hal's vote on him when he made this statement:

WalrusWhiskers posted:

A reminder, we need 11 votes for a lynch to happen. With the amount of lurkers and non-voters in this game, this might be an issue.

Yuming, zzyzx, fiery_valkerie, Squiggly, Nth Docter, a worthy uhh, Amoeba. Y'all need to come in this game to talk and vote!

The dude advocates that people need to come in and talk in order to make a lynch happen, and he's completely happy to 100% ignore two votes on him? Seems QUESTIONABLE, CCKeane.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

LETS LYNCH THIS WALRUS GUY HOLY poo poo HE IS SCUM ##vote walrus

Hal posted:

Yeah, I agree with merk. He looks a lot like scum. ##vote walrus

walrus posted:

ayuk yuk yuk we gotta get votes down in order to make a lynch happen! let's talk!!!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Spoonsy posted:

Hey guys how was everyones weekend? Mine was cool. Didn't have to read a hundred or so posts about the same two people bickering.

First things first, ##unvote before my clear joke vote serves as the basis for anything.

I don't like the fact that Keane has refused to let up on Max for his refusal to post a sentence. To echo Quid, if Max were to be shot dead this instant and flip town, Keane will have contributed a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. And he's taken the time to fight back against everyone who has pointed this fact out, be it Quid, or merk, or anyone really, for continuing his hunt and remaining the sole (after my unvote) person on Max.

Walrus: Uncomfortable as to why anyone would try to push for people to quickly vote for a lynch D1 before the weekend, but not uncomfortable enough to put a vote down
Gamer: Dude don't speculate on game structure the second the game starts. That's unnecessary and weird

Also, Keane, are you willing to do a leg drop from the top of the third rope?

Here yuming, it was this post, spoonsy's only real post of the game. It touches on the vote leaders but doesn't take an actual stance on them, votes no one, and is flanked by jokes/filler. Why bother with this post at all other than to seem engaged?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

The walrus vote is a good vote. He ignored not only my vote on him but also Hal's vote on him when he made this statement:

The dude advocates that people need to come in and talk in order to make a lynch happen, and he's completely happy to 100% ignore two votes on him? Seems QUESTIONABLE, CCKeane.

Yeah, that's fair.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I read Gamer as town so far and I think the case on him sucks, so I'm not voting for that one.

Walrus I would vote for, mostly because of this post:

Walrus posted:

Yea to be honest it's pretty clear what Max is implying. CCKeane is being weird by being insistent that he has to phrase it a certain way, which kind of annoys me.

Being annoying isn't necessarily scummy though, and I like that he's trying to engage people to post.

The second part sounds off, in particular.

I'll look things over again tomorrow and see where they're at.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Actually, since they're tied, better to put the one I prefer out front: ##vote Walrus

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So I haven't been participating, but I have been pretty diligently following.

CCKeane: I'm not convinced you're scum. I think if you were, you likely would have stopped hammering on Max so hard and see if could find someone else to target once others started calling you out.

merk: You zoned in on Walrus pretty quickly. While it is weird that Walrus didn't react, I don't see what in the post you keep quoting made you think Walrus is scum. I find your reaction angle more compelling though.
Of course now that it's been pointed out so hard and multiple times, any reaction from Walrus would be seen as insincere.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
ICR's Official Day 1 Votecount!!!

a worthy uhh (0)
Amoeba102 (0)
CCKeane (1) - Puntification Quidnose
fiery_valkyrie (0)
Gamerofthegame (2) - Max QuoProQuid
Hal Incandenza (1) - yuming
Max (1) - CCKeane Gamerofthegame QuoProQuid wins32767 Spoonsy
merk (1) - The Ninth Layer
Nth Docter (0)
Puntification (0)
Quidnose (0) Quinquereme
Quinquereme (0) - Yuming
QuoProQuid (1) - Squiggly
Spoonsy (0) - Max
Squiggly (0)
The Ninth Layer (0)
WalrusWhisker (5) - Merk Gamerofthegame Hal Incandenza zzyzx Quinquereme
WHICH WAY MADNESS (0)
wins32767 (2) - WalrusWhiskers Puntification
yuming (0) - Quidnose
zzyzx (0)

If something is wrong here, let me know. :siren: Also make sure to ##unvote before you ##vote again. :siren:

Iron Chef Ramen fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 13, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

What do you mean?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Max posted:

For the record:

Wins and Walrus have reacted to this in a strange and scummy way.

Do you still feel this way?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

But guys what if Walrus flips town, then all of our efforts will have been for naught all actions are pointless embrace nihilism.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm fully expecting both Quidnose and Spoonsy to object to Merk, since all of merk's game relevant posts have been relating to Walrus, and, you know, sound and fury.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Walrus has little content and much of it is bad, his vote on wins is pretty whacky and feels like the justification follows the action rather than vice versa. That said, how the momentum on Walrus has built has me feeling pretty uncomfortable and that makes me suspicious.

That said, sincerely, I do think Max is worse and I think everybody just wants to ignore all that poo poo because it is inconvenient. It's not going to happen today, but I do urge everybody to keep this in mind going forward because he is very not good.

I also think Gamer is worse than Walrus, especially comparing his game here to his previous game in Earthbound. I think I'd prefer him over Walrus.

I also don't like Quidnose, but everybody can be all "blah blah blah OMGUS blah blah blah." He accuses me of doing actions he himself are performing, and has not been back to give any ideas on anybody else. I don't like him.

Wins just strikes me as bad and I think his unvote from Max came when he realized there wasn't going to be a build of momentum onto him.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I believe my vote on wins wasn't counted.

And Puntification: you didn't unvote before voting wins, so it wasn't counted.

I'm still feeling good about my vote on wins, but I could also switch to Quidnose. The way he backtracked on his vote on Yuming, without her actually really posting anything is kind of suspicious and I don't think it's cool how he was suggesting getting rid of CCKeane and Max just for being talky (here). Any content is useful.

A reminder, we need 11 votes for a lynch to happen. With the amount of lurkers and non-voters in this game, this might be an issue.

Yuming, zzyzx, fiery_valkerie, Squiggly, Nth Docter, a worthy uhh, Amoeba. Y'all need to come in this game to talk and vote!

Had to wait and check the time stamps but I'd vote walruswhiskers too. I'd already voted quoproquid by the time this post was made, which walruswhiskers would know if he was actually following the thread instead of uselessly posting to look busy

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Squiggly posted:

Had to wait and check the time stamps but I'd vote walruswhiskers too. I'd already voted quoproquid by the time this post was made, which walruswhiskers would know if he was actually following the thread instead of uselessly posting to look busy

This is a decent point.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Puntification posted:

Do you still feel this way?

My perspective on this is skewed, but Win's reasons for backing off on me seem to come from a town mindset of realizing what is going on in an argument. It's possible he's scum and his vote on me was shaky when he made it, but now, eh.

Walrus I still feel pretty strongly about, and now that I think about it:

##unvote
##vote Walrus

Max
Nov 30, 2002

To be clear: The first major interaction that I remember from him was right at the start of me and Kean going at it, when he said he knew what I was insinuating. I thought he meant that he knew I was wary of a trap. That in itself would have been kinda not so great, because at that point I was trying to disengage with Kean (didn't do a great job) since I had realized "oh, this may be a power role" and didn't really want to call attention to that fact.

It turns out what he knew I was insinuating was a very, VERY surface level read of the situation, which is just a big bag of hot air and doesn't really contribute anything. It's kinda on the same level as Gamer's speculation about the number of scum in the game, but that was his first contribution to the thread and wasn't trying to participate in a conversation yet. Walrus' contribution looks worse, honestly.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

WalrusWhiskers posted:

(you) So would you say you are not scum and neither is quidnose?

(Max) Yea, sure.

This is the explaination in question.

To be honest, looking at his post history, I remembered him posting more than he did, which is even worse. His jump on wins after Punt really looks like a jump on an easy target after seeing that there was some heat behind it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Quidnose posted:

I am not scum, and neither is yuming.

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I am not scum, nor is yuming (I hope). :sun:

This morning I thought about these two posts that hit in the same minute. This looks suspicious enough to me.

## vote Walrus

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

What do you mean?

I mean someone called him out for not scumhunting so he literally walked down the player list saying stuff like "this guys posts look good based on his timezone" and stuff like that. I guess it's unfair to categorize it all as a joke because they are probably real opinions but it has that feel of Keane poking fun at the idea of scumhunting and it isn't like he was making solid cases that he's actively pursuing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal I never poke fun in any of my posts.

I am a very serious player, Hal.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Morning everyone (and Hal)

first, re my earlier post: Well yeah, it's to be engaged. I'm reflecting on the events between Friday afternoon and Sunday evening as I hadn't done much/anything with the game prior to that point. So yes, I'm going to reflect on the three major cases in terms of vote leaders going on at that moment.

Nth Doctor: Good catch on the WW posts. I will confess I didn't notice that, especially as he was interested and confused as to how the two posts landed simultaneously with an attempt to laugh it off.

I'm comfortable enough to put this here for the time being ##vote WalrusWhiskers. And yes, if there's a town flip, then all of our efforts will have been for naught CAUSE D1

(and no, Keane, I don't object to Merk)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Walrus has little content and much of it is bad, his vote on wins is pretty whacky and feels like the justification follows the action rather than vice versa. That said, how the momentum on Walrus has built has me feeling pretty uncomfortable and that makes me suspicious.

The way you advance discussion with this concern is to pick out the vote(s) that you do not like and tell us why.

Waving your hand over 'the momentum' is the least helpful thing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'll even start for you:

zzyzx posted:

I read Gamer as town so far and I think the case on him sucks, so I'm not voting for that one.

Walrus I would vote for, mostly because of this post:

The second part sounds off, in particular.

I'll look things over again tomorrow and see where they're at.

zzyzx posted:

Actually, since they're tied, better to put the one I prefer out front: ##vote Walrus

If walrus flips town, zzyzx's vote puts zero culpability for that lynch on him while looking completely reasonable at the same time. It's a very safe vote.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I'll even start for you:

If walrus flips town, zzyzx's vote puts zero culpability for that lynch on him while looking completely reasonable at the same time. It's a very safe vote.

I agree completely w/r/t zzyzx.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

The way you advance discussion with this concern is to pick out the vote(s) that you do not like and tell us why.

Waving your hand over 'the momentum' is the least helpful thing.

Eh, a lot of this is a gut call, and j feel Walrus ended up as the front runner by a significant margin and we are allowing for votes to settle on him without looking at that too much - you're right that I should have followed up, but I have FOCUSES ELSEWHERE and all.

You haven't comment much on Gamer, and I'd very much like to hear your thoughts there.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Spoonsy posted:

Morning everyone (and Hal)

first, re my earlier post: Well yeah, it's to be engaged. I'm reflecting on the events between Friday afternoon and Sunday evening as I hadn't done much/anything with the game prior to that point. So yes, I'm going to reflect on the three major cases in terms of vote leaders going on at that moment.

Nth Doctor: Good catch on the WW posts. I will confess I didn't notice that, especially as he was interested and confused as to how the two posts landed simultaneously with an attempt to laugh it off.

I'm comfortable enough to put this here for the time being ##vote WalrusWhiskers. And yes, if there's a town flip, then all of our efforts will have been for naught CAUSE D1

(and no, Keane, I don't object to Merk)

I don't really object to merk either, but I feel the "sound and fury with nothing to show for it" regarding if Max is town is a silly, silly, silly argument and this is pretty obvious when it is compared to merk's game, where Merk also focus on one player bear exclusively.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Eh, a lot of this is a gut call, and j feel Walrus ended up as the front runner by a significant margin and we are allowing for votes to settle on him without looking at that too much - you're right that I should have followed up, but I have FOCUSES ELSEWHERE and all.

You haven't comment much on Gamer, and I'd very much like to hear your thoughts there.

It's an interesting situation because I feel like the Gamer case came out of nowhere, potentially just to create an alternate candidate to walrus. I haven't dove into any of the votes or cases or anything yet but will do so today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

I don't really object to merk either, but I feel the "sound and fury with nothing to show for it" regarding if Max is town is a silly, silly, silly argument and this is pretty obvious when it is compared to merk's game, where Merk also focus on one player bear exclusively.

I hope that I am much more persuasive when I do it than when you did it here. That's what I'm trying to say. The strength of you argument got lost in its length. It's like I was at the end of the LOTR trilogy and they faded to white for the fourth time, but oh wait - here's Frodo again smiling at the camera while Sam gives him a reassuring nod.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I hope that I am much more persuasive when I do it than when you did it here. That's what I'm trying to say. The strength of you argument got lost in its length. It's like I was at the end of the LOTR trilogy and they faded to white for the fourth time, but oh wait - here's Frodo again smiling at the camera while Sam gives him a reassuring nod.

You generally are more persuasive than me, and I'll agree that I got worked up, but that doesn't change that saying that it would be worthless if Max flipped town is a pretty silly thing to say and I am surprised that Spoonsy and Quidnose said that.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

*tapes scum over the word jest on the cover of INFINITE jest, hands it in as a case*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

It's an interesting situation because I feel like the Gamer case came out of nowhere, potentially just to create an alternate candidate to walrus. I haven't dove into any of the votes or cases or anything yet but will do so today.

Please read his play in Earthbound as well and compare - that's what pinged me pretty strongly.

• Locked thread