Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think one reason a lot of people feel betrayed was because of those Teen Titans shorts that DC Nation did before they announced GO, everyone assumed a new Teen Titans show would be like those(which were a lot less silly and felt like an actual continuation of the old show), so when GO was announced it felt like DC & CN had pulled a fast one on the fanbase(I'll admit I felt that way for a while myself although I'm fine with GO now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I mean the promo commercials from before the show premiered were terrible, but that's only because it made it look like an entire show of the "funny" episodes of the original series. Personally I love how mercilessly they mock the original and its whiny fans.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best part about that comparison chart is his descriptions on the original TT side are also really dull and uninteresting.

I also feel that his complaints about Starfire are mostly based around just watching the pilot. I remember early complaints about the pilot had a lot to do with Stafire freaking out over her hair, but then they pretty much dropped that aspect of her pretty quickly and now she's pretty much how he described her in TT except more well rounded. As was mentioned like all the characters in TTG are how he describes their TT form.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They're things the characters all still do. Robin is still a karate badass, he's just also kind of a lovesick doofus with an amoral streak on top of that. Raven is still half demon, she's just the best character now instead of being boring. Cyborg still does mechanic poo poo and works on the car and etc, but he also likes pie and is bros with Beast Boy. Beast Boy and Starfire are... basically the same, except BB is a little dumber and they make stoner jokes about him.

It's completely ridiculous. It's like he's never watched the drat show.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uhm pretty certain original Cyborg did not enjoy watching 1980s sitcoms on VHS so his character is completely different and ruined!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're things the characters all still do. Robin is still a karate badass, he's just also kind of a lovesick doofus with an amoral streak on top of that. Raven is still half demon, she's just the best character now instead of being boring. Cyborg still does mechanic poo poo and works on the car and etc, but he also likes pie and is bros with Beast Boy. Beast Boy and Starfire are... basically the same, except BB is a little dumber and they make stoner jokes about him.

The main difference with Starfire is she no longer likes Robin, she is kind of creeped out by him and they make fun of the fact that her role in the original show was primarily as a will they/won't they love interest. They also play her politeness and kindness against her more often while also showing that it is at least partially just a face she puts on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general the main difference between the TT characters and the TTG characters is everyone is at least a little more of a dick.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

axleblaze posted:

The main difference with Starfire is she no longer likes Robin, she is kind of creeped out by him and they make fun of the fact that her role in the original show was primarily as a will they/won't they love interest. They also play her politeness and kindness against her more often while also showing that it is at least partially just a face she puts on.

I'll admit that part I don't like, while GO Robin is hilarious, I think they play up his flaws way too often, makes it hard to see why he's still on the team if none of the others actually like him and he's just being a huge jerk all the time, kinda feels they went too far in distancing him from the old show's version of him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit that part I don't like, while GO Robin is hilarious, I think they play up his flaws way too often, makes it hard to see why he's still on the team if none of the others actually like him and he's just being a huge jerk all the time, kinda feels they went too far in distancing him from the old show's version of him

Pretty sure they all still believe he saved the universe from a gorgeous alien and hides his beautiful face for their own benefit so he has that at minimum going for him.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no continuity in this show dude

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

frank.club posted:

true if we take the show as a whole, although on an individual episode basis there's continuity between episodes surprisingly often(mostly in how certain characters interact with each other, like Beast Boy & Raven, or Cyborg & Jinx)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

drrockso20 posted:

I like it. In the original Teen Titans they overplayed Robin's usefulness since he was the only character with no powers, so acknowledging that he has no powers and is an overcompensating dick is pretty entertaining.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaunab posted:

I like it. In the original Teen Titans they overplayed Robin's usefulness since he was the only character with no powers, so acknowledging that he has no powers and is an overcompensating dick is pretty entertaining.

it can be entertaining, but I think they're starting to overdo it, it's getting a little obnoxious

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

Aren't they planning to make a live-action Titans show? Watch the real tears flow when that one comes out.

It seems to be more in line with other TNT serials like Arrow and is trying to emulate the story of the original comics starting off with Dick as Robin/Nightwing, so they'll probably never hear about it or cry about misleading DC Nation shorts appearing on CN. But we have no idea how schlocky it could get so they may actually come to worship it as a turn to form -- and then hate GO even more if they joke about the live action one. :v:

It'll most likely bore me if it ever comes out, but it's no skin off my nose if other people enjoy it.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I have to wonder how old these fans are. I watched the show when I was 13-14 (which I imagine is roughly the target age) and I'm 24 in a few weeks, it seems weird for someone my age to make such a big deal out of "betraying the fandom" (I bet these are the same schlubs who didn't like Brave and the Bold). Was this show really popular among younger kids or live on in reruns for years? Because this seems like weird behavior for a fanbase that should be in their early twenties or so.

I'm thinking a majority of them are nearing their late 20s to early 30s as they were near or just out of highschool age for this show. So it is heavily imbedded in the last of natural childhood years of being some comic and/or anime nerd that absolutely fell in a Robin like love with the Starfire or BB/Raven relationships. A natural recipe for disaster on the internet.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 13, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Exactly, the only thing TTG does is take their personalities from the original series and exaggerate them to make them not lame and boring. Cyborg and Beast Boy have been bros as far back as the original comics so I can't imagine anyone having an issue with them getting into wacky poo poo together.

I think my favorite thing about the show is that you can just tell how much fun everyone involved has with it, just through the voice acting.

frank.club posted:

There is a tiny bit. Robin and Raven's fondness for puns is my favorite example. Also the side characters like Super Robin and the boombox.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 13, 2015

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

it can be entertaining, but I think they're starting to overdo it, it's getting a little obnoxious

Yeah I've noticed this lately too. I feel like episodes like Left Leg or Sandwich Thief strike a good balance where you have Robin going overboard on something but in doing so he still manages to kick rear end with his sweet ninja moves by the end. Recently they kind of just show how pathetic he is without there ever being a moment where he at least somewhat redeems himself.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I was a big fan of a original Teen titans, and I find Teen Titans Go really funny. Though, to be fair, I didn't give Brave and a Bold a fair chance when I first saw it, as it looked like Fisher Price version of Batman, but it was good if you actually watched it. It seems with both you have to be a fan of the franchise in general to get all the in jokes they make. So its extra funny when die hard fans hate go.

Its kind of funny how the Brave and the Bold Batman is mister popularity with every super hero eager to team up with him, when usually he is moody and rejects help from everyone. While the original Teen Titan robin was so powerful he could literally take on his entire team with ease, while Go's robin sucks so bad he gets shown up by a non-sentient pot of sub-par vegetarian chili.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shnag posted:

I was a big fan of a original Teen titans, and I find Teen Titans Go really funny. Though, to be fair, I didn't give Brave and a Bold a fair chance when I first saw it, as it looked like Fisher Price version of Batman, but it was good if you actually watched it. It seems with both you have to be a fan of the franchise in general to get all the in jokes they make. So its extra funny when die hard fans hate go.

Its kind of funny how the Brave and the Bold Batman is mister popularity with every super hero eager to team up with him, when usually he is moody and rejects help from everyone. While the original Teen Titan robin was so powerful he could literally take on his entire team with ease, while Go's robin sucks so bad he gets shown up by a non-sentient pot of sub-par vegetarian chili.

Brave and The Bold Batman is pretty much a Big Brother/Foster Dad figure for the majority of the superhero community in his world(and a Prodigal Son figure for the relatively few heroes who are older than him) so it makes sense(helps that he's basically a grumpier Adam West Batman in many respects), we'd probably see the same with Superman and Wonder Woman if they'd appeared more often in BATB

Stuffguyman posted:

Yeah I've noticed this lately too. I feel like episodes like Left Leg or Sandwich Thief strike a good balance where you have Robin going overboard on something but in doing so he still manages to kick rear end with his sweet ninja moves by the end. Recently they kind of just show how pathetic he is without there ever being a moment where he at least somewhat redeems himself.
yeah it's kinda weird

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, frankly I find it a lot funnier when Robin beats things up too much or in a silly manner than when he doesn't do it enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, frankly I find it a lot funnier when Robin beats things up too much or in a silly manner than when he doesn't do it enough.

same

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

we'd probably see the same with Superman and Wonder Woman if they'd appeared more often in BATB
The one WW appearance I remember was her saving Trevor, and the dude was like "Oh, strapped to an atomic bomb? Dude my girlfriend's totally got this...:smug:"

Tiny Robin creeping into Star's bedroom was pretty great.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crabtree posted:

I'm thinking a majority of them are nearing their late 20s to early 30s as they were near or just out of highschool age for this show. So it is heavily imbedded in the last of natural childhood years of being some comic and/or anime nerd that absolutely fell in a Robin like love with the Starfire or BB/Raven relationships. A natural recipe for disaster on the internet.
This but for the grace of God is me. I (obviously) was a big fan of the original series but I still think Go is fantastic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the constant making GBS threads on Robin or the stuff where he's shown to just be sort of creepy towards Starfire but I will admit that I do find the "Starfire is attracted to every other random male superhero that shows up except Robin, especially ones that are pretty much Robin" joke a bit tiresome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LORD OF BUTT posted:

FRESH! :byodood:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I thought season 2 ended with Yearbook Madness, guess I was wrong. Loved the sound effects episode, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks like TTG and the premiere of We Bare Bears is gonna be the last summer bomb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gaunab posted:

The hate on this show is still funny. http://imgur.com/gallery/RAM0bky
They probably changed Robin and Cyborg the most from their original incarnations. Beast Boy is pretty drat close to a 1:1 conversion, Starfire is slightly zanier, and Raven is significantly less SERIOUS.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I need a gif of the eyebrow roll Gizmo's tall suit face did during his song.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They went to commercial in the middle of an episode. Weird.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gaunab posted:

The hate on this show is still funny. http://imgur.com/gallery/RAM0bky

It's also funny how the IMDB board for TTG has several pages but the one for the original show only has like 3 posts.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was not ready for this episode, holy poo poo. "When I was a kid clowns had depth and meaning!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress, did I miss another episode specifically making fun of haters?!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Crabtree posted:

It'll be on later today, or CN.com, so don't fret.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Crabtree posted:

It is called "The Return of Slade"

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I just watched it and holy poo poo. I loved the first series but I love it even more when they troll the poo poo out of its fans.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I just watched it and holy poo poo. I loved the first series but I love it even more when they troll the poo poo out of its fans.

I can appreciate them being willing to do so, but it's starting to get kinda old(this is like what the 5th or 6th time they've done such an episode), not to mention feeling a little petty and weird(kinda like how Spielburg's cartoons in the 90's kept making fun of their internet fandoms)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

not to mention feeling a little petty and weird(kinda like how Spielburg's cartoons in the 90's kept making fun of their internet fandoms)

You uh... you know the story behind that, right? Because it feels a lot less petty and gets a lot funnier when you do.

e: just in case this isn't internet legend yet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You uh... you know the story behind that, right? Because it feels a lot less petty and gets a lot funnier when you do.

e: just in case this isn't internet legend yet

Oh I know about that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno I see taking swipes at a guy who creeped one of the VAs out of public society as being, if not noble, then at least justifiable and also really drat funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Aww, a clown episode but no Joker.

• Locked thread