Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Truly a compelling argument.

Is it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They also had timed bonuses, so if you didn't get in before a certain mid-kickstarter date, then you're out of luck.
That seems like a great way to discourage people who found it late from backing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm going to enjoy the flood of free Wasteland 2 or Witcher 2 keys that will come out. I have both those games so the free game I'll just have to give out to some random goon I guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

Is it wrong?

It's as wrong as companies like Blizzard giving people a beta and calling it an alpha to make the peeps playing it seem more special for getting in SO early!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's as wrong as companies like Blizzard giving people a beta and calling it an alpha to make the peeps playing it seem more special for getting in SO early!

I mean I feel that's a different thing though. If a company sells something and says it's a game then it's a drat game. You can say it's a poo poo game or that there's not enough content or that it's a bad deal since it's a lesser version of a game released in a few years, but it's still a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean I feel that's a different thing though. If a company sells something and says it's a game then it's a drat game. You can say it's a poo poo game or that there's not enough content or that it's a bad deal since it's a lesser version of a game released in a few years, but it's still a game.

So your logic is that game companies can't twist words and if they say anything than it is true.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So your logic is that game companies can't twist words and if they say anything than it is true.

No

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Could you give a clear cut definition of a game, a prototype and a demo?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ImpAtom posted:

Alpha, beta, release version and demo are version modifiers - if a game company says their product is one of those, then it is by definition. Nothing the company says can stop it from being poo poo, though. (This is why phrases like alpha-quality, beta-quality, release-quality and teaser game exist.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The demo for half life 1 was 100% original content never seen in the main game.

Obviously, the demo for half life 1 is a full game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If it helps, every company I've worked for or that my friends work for always internally define alpha/beta/RC differently.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Demo is a word that means "demonstration". You can demonstrate a concept for a game, or you can demonstrate a full game to convince people to buy it. Prototypes can also be demos.

Everybody uses the words slightly differently because words are never locked in stone, they evolve over time. You guys are bad at English words. Descriptivism, bitch

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That's not what people are talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can dance around the words all you want but claiming a game is a full game just because it isn't literally called demo is just silly. You can call it Prototype or Beta or Chapter 1 or whatever you want, it boils down to 'charging players to play your advertisement for another game is lovely." It can be a good advertisement but it's still a drat advertisement.

Publicly released game demos are not the same as internal demos and trying to act like they are is silly.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Demo is a word that means "demonstration". You can demonstrate a concept for a game, or you can demonstrate a full game to convince people to buy it. Prototypes can also be demos.

Everybody uses the words slightly differently because words are never locked in stone, they evolve over time. You guys are bad at English words. Descriptivism, bitch
I prefer pragmatism. The current meanings in the gaming world are useful, so let's keep them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You can dance around the words all you want but claiming a game is a full game just because it isn't literally called demo is just silly. You can call it Prototype or Beta or Chapter 1 or whatever you want, it boils down to 'charging players to play your advertisement for another game is lovely." It can be a good advertisement but it's still a drat advertisement.

Publicly released game demos are not the same as internal demos and trying to act like they are is silly.

Lurking Haro posted:

Could you give a clear cut definition of a game, a prototype and a demo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fine.

"A demo is a feature-incomplete, simplified or otherwise slice of an existing or upcoming game designed to promote and sell that upcoming games."

Feel free to provide pedantic nitpicking to prove that (thing you liked) isn't a demo because clearly you couldn't have paid money for a demo because that is something only dumb people do.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What? I don't think there's anything wrong with paying for a demo if you think it's worthwhile. I used to do that with Official Xbox Magazine all the time.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The only difference is one of perception and even that doesn't matter much. Your description can be nitpicked to death because it doesn't hold up. What separates Case Zero and Case West? Is Zero a demo because it came out before the game and West a game because it came out after? Or are they both demos? It's a pointless thing to try to define beyond the terms given

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:suicide:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hat Thoughts posted:

What? I don't think there's anything wrong with paying for a demo if you think it's worthwhile. I used to do that with Official Xbox Magazine all the time.

Also used to be common to pay for discs of shareware, either standalone titles or collections, and that's essentially paying for demos of the titles before you paid for the full thing.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Holy poo poo, you guys got into an argument so banal that even :fishmech: couldn't make it worse.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Don't pay for demos you morons

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Pay for whatever you want :twisted: :twisted:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

use your money responsibly in line with ur budget and disposable income appetite

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

don't waste your money on trash like video games

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Were we talking about how Ground Zeroes is a demo people paid for???

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Were we talking about how Ground Zeroes is a demo people paid for???

It started with ImpAtom claiming that the Red Ash kickstarter is only for a demo or prototype, not a game.
Ground Zeroes was only an example I brought up.

-e-
I think he might have thought of Gran Turismo 4 Prologue when reading that it will be a prologue chapter for the story.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 13, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'd hate to break up this dumb pedantic fine discussion about semantics but Red Bull of all people recently published an interview with a few developers who used kickstarter to fund arcade racing games, check it out: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331729955228/kickstarter-and-the-rebirth-of-the-arcade-racer

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Some of those games are basically new TrackMania-themes, which is nice.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

It started with ImpAtom claiming that the Red Ash kickstarter is only for a demo or prototype, not a game.

Yes. It was a funny joke and of course goons took it too far.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It's ok to pay for frivolous things if you can afford it. Hell, it's ok with me even if you can't.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

quakster posted:

Some of those games are basically new TrackMania-themes, which is nice.
Which ones? Because I know Distance, Power Drive 2000 and Drift Stage aren't and I love me some Trackmania.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hell, I love Distance and the demo for Drift Stage, too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I mean they kinda are in that they're racing games that are purely time trials and (so far) nothing else.

e: unless there's some modes i haven't seen for some of those

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

By that logic, Burnout 3 is exactly like Gran Turismo 4 because they both mostly feature racing against other cars on circuits. :geno:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great Joe posted:

By that logic, Burnout 3 is exactly like Gran Turismo 4 because they both mostly feature racing against other cars on circuits. :geno:

well Burnout tends to have open road circuits exclusively, while GT is more of a traditional closed racing circuit...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It's more like Gran Turismo is like The Crew tbh

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's more like Gran Turismo is like The Crew tbh

They both have equally lovely collision physics and hilariously antiquated rollover prevention measures so yeah I'll accept this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceFat
Jul 12, 2004
Hey, everybody. Posted about my friend's game, DARK STARS, that I'm scoring a few days ago. He just released a demo (and I'm super impressed!), so I'm posting it. Have fun!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xo9iu8g5vkh1d8/DarkStarsv010Demo.7z?dl=0

Kickstarter is here (3 days left): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687983700/dark-stars-a-tragic-anti-shmup-for-pc-and-smartpho