Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

UserErr0r posted:

Does snowy LS have any physical geometry changes, like piles of snow to the sides of roads, or is it just texture changes, terrible handling, and snowfall effects?

AFAIK there aren't any geometry effects, just basically what you mentioned :(

SplitSoul posted:

PS: The t-shirts suck and for some reason I only got one of them, even though it did my dailies all three days and got the unlock message each time.

Same here I completed dailies fri/sat/sun and only got two of the shirts in my clothing menu even tho I got the notifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User
We just spent a good 2 or so hours chasing down and killing the same pubbie. 2-5 goons vs 1 person. They were a good sport but somehow seemed to have infinite rockets.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

UserErr0r posted:

We just spent a good 2 or so hours chasing down and killing the same pubbie. 2-5 goons vs 1 person. They were a good sport but somehow seemed to have infinite rockets.

What was that dudes name, Danseven24 or something?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Super happy fun goon race in 45 minutes

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Kerosene19 posted:

What was that dudes name, Danseven24 or something?

rip in piss dan savage

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I seriously don't want to play until they fix the performance issues with the last patch. I'm running 2x 970 SLI, 16GB RAM, I7 4790K and my game runs and looks like complete garbage.

:smith:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Just competed Criminal Mastermind last night.

Everybody was super loose and laid back until we started the Pacific Standard finale, at which point everybody got really quiet and tense.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hey, I did some things with goons at last, briefly. :shobon: Even if my best kill was a bit of accidental friendly fire.

"There he is! No wait, he's dead. I'll wait until he respawns... THERE HE IS!" *Perfect sticky bomb toss, realize he hasn't respawned yet and I just iced a goon*

Oh well. I have a headset now, so I'll get on Mumble.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have a headset now, so I'll get on Mumble.

If ur on PC and not on mumble ur doing it wrong. :neckbeard:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

T1g4h posted:

If you mean the Elegy RH8, it's always free. And unless they fixed it, you can't sell them :v:

lol, welp... Guess I'm browsing the car stores tonight to find replacements...

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

hellfaucet posted:

I seriously don't want to play until they fix the performance issues with the last patch. I'm running 2x 970 SLI, 16GB RAM, I7 4790K and my game runs and looks like complete garbage.

I miss you already hellfaucet no homo
:sadwave:

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Is the Coil Brawler or any of the other new vehicles any good?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The brawler is fun. I haven't bought any of the other ones because they look boring and bland.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

BitBasher posted:

Honestly I had never heard of the term until you just mentioned it, probably because I don't follow motorcycle racing at all and I never really put any effort into it in GTA.

It's not a motorcycle only thing, it's very much a part of four wheel racing. Serious iRacers know about it and use it. It's where you don't have an easily defined apex so it's more complicated than just 'brake hardest here, get off the brakes and squeeze on the power here'.

I have to say I like the driving model and driving in GTA5 a lot. Project Cars can show you where sim racing really is at the moment, without paying a subscription like iRacing. But if you can't be bothered getting out your wheel and want to kick back on the couch with a controller.. it's great.

A couple of things are annoying, like it's bumper cars usually and more about who can smash harder than driver faster. Also, going on and on about corner technique I think is a little over the top. Yes, for someone literally unable to drive and I wouldn't want to get into a real car with them then what you're saying probably helps (I don't know, I can drive). But for those of us further down the rev-head spectrum.. the corner grip is ridiculous. So drat much, to the point I can go flat out into almost all corners (except a 90 degree one with traffic after winding out 5th or 6th gear) and if I realize on my entry I wont make it, I can jab the breaks and shed so much speed that I'll usually be fine.

What is making GBS threads me is all the farmers, you'll log into a race with a single guy and chances are he wants to 'trade wins' with you. They always overrule my votes too, I'm guessing they've set up the lobby for their farm-fest and have control of that.

Played an epic set of tennis and won, was very happy and then when I spawned at the tennis court after it was over in Freeroam, there was my opponent. But.. if she's right there.. and I just beat her at tennis.. what would stop her pulling out a gun and..

BAM

oh, yeah I thought so. lol.

hellfaucet posted:

Yeah, I'm still playing but I've been screwing around with settings a ton this weekend.

I have your computer except for 980GTX rather than 970.

Glad to hear it's something theyve done, I was thinking what the hell is this..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I like how motorcycle racing with Goons ends up being this great balance of proper racing and really close, intense position battling, and then holding the Left bumper down to flip off anyone near you :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Blame Rockstar for getting all of the upgrades behind race wins. They're dumb for trying to convince pubbies to do it though.

I just hate joining a random race, finishing, and then getting kicked into a contract mission when it can't find another race to put me in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though...

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

hellfaucet posted:

But then who will I accidentally blow up with poorly thought out sticky bombs?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

UserErr0r posted:

Does snowy LS have any physical geometry changes, like piles of snow to the sides of roads, or is it just texture changes, terrible handling, and snowfall effects?

Not really texture changes, I think it has something to do with how the normal map is rendered (if a point on the normal map is facing straight up, it shows up as pure white, facing laterally shows up as normal, everything in between is shown as in between). I assume that changing the physical geometry, if they actually wanted it to look good, would be too large to fit in a single patch, and too much effort for a limited time event.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 13, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

taters posted:

Is the Coil Brawler or any of the other new vehicles any good?

I was set to hate and not buy the T20 but then I bought it and it is magic

E: here, have some opinions

T20

titties posted:

T20 initial impressions:

Pros -
Astonishingly stable
Very good braking
Competitive acceleration
It has a loving automatic spoiler that deploys as you pick up speed

Cons -
Has the interior of a late-90's sedan
Costs $2.2 million funbux

E2: best car ever

We all know that adding a spoiler increases traction in the game. This car's automatic spoiler also appears to improve braking by turning up like a drag wing when you stomp on the brakes.

BitBasher posted:

So far it is my favorite super. It is not as squirrely as a Zentorno and it seems to be more responsive cornering than an Osiris. It also seems to have a wee bit smoother suspension travel and distance making it take bumps smoother, but that could be my imagination as that is really hard to judge.

EDIT: regarding the t20, even if its merely the same in accel and handling the superior braking it offers makes it a winner in racing. It does noticeably brake better. The later you brake and the less time you spend doing it means more time at the go fast. It can take corners in less time as a result, which adds up on a lot of courses. This is also relevant to poo poo drivers because better braking gives people a greater margin for error in corners.

BitBasher posted:

The t20 accelerates better and just goes faster. It also feels more responsive, in my opinion it feels lighter while the Osiris feels heavier. I think it's also smaller, which doesn't hurt.

Also: Scissor doors > Gull wing doors.

Brawler

T1g4h posted:

The Brawler is seriously the best goddamn car :allears:

It's just so much fun. The brakes are godawful but it just climbs and launches off stuff like a dream. I've killed it a few times trying to ford creeks that were slightly deeper than I realized after being used to the Insurgent for so long, but in terms of speed and handling, it's my new favorite offroad toy. Looks wicked to boot :D

Nintendo Kid posted:

It climbs like crazy. It's great. Gonna try to use it in some standard offroad races tomorrow, see how it does.

Cojawfee posted:

The Brawler's brakes are so bad you can hit the brakes while driving and it will still keep accelerating to 40mph. I grabbed a stock futo off the street and it quickly slowed itself down and started a burnout. If the car is moving at all, the brakes can't defeat full throttle.

Vindicator

titties posted:

Vindicator status: I AM THE LAW

It's surprisingly rad, noticeably faster than my Ruffian or Lectro, speed is just a notch under the top-tier sport bikes. Turns like a schoolbus, KERS boost puts it over 120 mph, I died instantly rip

titties fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 13, 2015

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
If you get the T20 you have to set 'Flight of the Bumblebee' as your horn.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

And drive really fast.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

It feels a bit dirty to ask, but would someone be willing to do some win trading with me? Whenever I actually manage to get into a race with pubbies it's invariably modded vehicles, and since I haven't won a single race yet I have a snowballs chance in hell of winning (because, again invariably, they chose short, straight tracks where I can't at least use technical skill to win).

Anyway, add me (Karanax) and poke if you want to do that. Or add me and poke anyway, I'm up for stuff.

Also, was good fun yesterday, even if it cost me a ton of money. That pubbie really was a good sport about it.

edit: (on pc)

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 13, 2015

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Another day of poo poo activity online.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I need money to buy fake cars so I'm looking for people to heist with on PS4. I tried doing a few setup missions with pubbies yesterday and it was a nightmare.

PSN: DrKrankenwagen

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DrKrankenwagen posted:

I need money to buy fake cars so I'm looking for people to heist with on PS4. I tried doing a few setup missions with pubbies yesterday and it was a nightmare.

PSN: DrKrankenwagen

I'll be on about 5 PST

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'll probably be on around that time too. Psn: LLJK_Craptacular

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I'll join you kranken. I'll look for you online tonight.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sorry to bail on my boner buds last night. My girlfriend got off work early and the night before I fell asleep leaving her to walk home from the bar across town so I kind of owed it to her to stop playing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Need a Vice City themed dlc so I can buy an 80s Cheetah and Infernus. All these new supers look samey to me.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any tips to blowing up other players personal vehicles without paying insurance cost?

So far I know:
- put a bounty on target(must be in car when it blows)
- have no money to pay insurance

Can I drive their car into the ocean if it's unlocked?

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Also make it yellow and black like a bumblebee.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Captain Beans posted:

Any tips to blowing up other players personal vehicles without paying insurance cost?

So far I know:

You have to pay for it. But if you bail out its spotty as I've bailed out on many occasions when driving vehicles that have been left at the heliport into the water and there have been times when I have and haven't paid.

Deadly Mongoose
May 27, 2006

Please give me terrible avatar that is awesome

Captain Beans posted:

So far I know:

You will pay for bailing a car into water most of the time. However, you can park it near the edge and then ram it into the water with another car for no charge.

Gas can is the go to. Make a big puddle or two of gas next to the car (near engine is better). Then hop in your car that can shoot flames out it's exhaust, back up to the puddle, and then do a burn out. Your car will backfire spit flames and light up the gas for no charge against you. If you light the gas yourself by any means, you are charged.

My fav is gas but you are an easy headshot by the owner if they finish their shopping/haircut early.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure backfiring doesn't set off petrol anymore.

UserErr0r
May 4, 2006
Replace User

circ dick soleil posted:

Not really texture changes, I think it has something to do with how the normal map is rendered (if a point on the normal map is facing straight up, it shows up as pure white, facing laterally shows up as normal, everything in between is shown as in between). I assume that changing the physical geometry, if they actually wanted it to look good, would be too large to fit in a single patch, and too much effort for a limited time event.

You realize normal maps are used for bump mapping, right? They definitely use replacement diffuse maps.

Adding a few inches of snow on top of structures would take a lot of time, but if they made things like a series of snow banks, that wouldn't take too long to place.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

You have to pay for it. But if you bail out its spotty as I've bailed out on many occasions when driving vehicles that have been left at the heliport into the water and there have been times when I have and haven't paid.

I think this might be dependent on whether the car's owner is still in the session or not.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Deadly Mongoose posted:

Gas can is the go to. Make a big puddle or two of gas next to the car (near engine is better). Then hop in your car that can shoot flames out it's exhaust, back up to the puddle, and then do a burn out. Your car will backfire spit flames and light up the gas for no charge against you. If you light the gas yourself by any means, you are charged.

This is amazing. I can't wait to try this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

UserErr0r posted:

You realize normal maps are used for bump mapping, right? They definitely use replacement diffuse maps.

Adding a few inches of snow on top of structures would take a lot of time, but if they made things like a series of snow banks, that wouldn't take too long to place.

More likely, they read the FACE normals of the polygons, and not the normal maps. It's trivial for shader programmers to add a white snowy blended material to all polygons that are facing Y+. I'm not saying they haven't swapped diffuse as well here and there, but there is almost certainly a blanket snow blend applied to all materials based on face normals.

Vokehead
Feb 13, 2013

FallinInTheBlak posted:

It's way more effective on a black and yellow insurgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I apparently must hate myself.. but I'm looking for goons who want to run the heists front to back with the same crew on PS4. Not looking to do it all in one night and certainly not looking to take it seriously. Just looking for easy cashola for new car purchasing.

I'm planning on running Fleeca and at least Prison Break tonight starting at 9PM central if I have some takers.

Before you jump on board excitedly, I'm going to let you know now--I'm Lasagna. If you know me, then you know one or all of us will die either accidentally or intentionally depending on how funny it might be. So please--if you don't like fun, don't jump in.

That being said.. I'm trustworthy and fair.

So.. takers?

Fake edit--Jonesy, I'm looking in your direction sweetie.

• Locked thread