Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Also, salt water has a use -- it is needed for brine, which is an important step in food preservation. My ideal base location has easy access to both fresh and salt water, among other criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

It's pretty rare to pick up enough copper-bearing ore from a single spot. There's usually 2-7 or so nuggets. One trick, as dumb as it sounds, is to search more thoroughly in the area once you've found one. The ground nuggets are actually kinda hard to spot, and have a tendency to hind behind trees or other clutter. I have marked a copper nugget spot on my minimap, then come back later to mine out the vein underneath and found more nuggets that I simply overlooked on my first pass through.

To expand on this, yeah mark where you find ore nuggets and pick up all the kinds of ores you see. You can cast bronze instead of copper, which can stretch out your supply of coppy if you keep finding the ingredients for like bronze or bismuth bronze or whatever. You'll be running around trying to find coppy spots for awhile, but the prospectors pick will help a lot later off when you can figure out where the big clumps are and just drive shafts down.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, also also, while I'm thinking of it, here is a great tool: http://infinitepossibilitygames.com/TFCAlloyCalc/

This will help you figure out how many pieces of ore to huck into a clay vessel to get a type of bronze.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Getting the following error when I try to start up the two latest versions of Modderation: Permabanned:

"CB's DepLoader was unable to download required library MrTJPCore-1.7.10-1.0.8.16-universal.jar Check your internet connection and try restarting or download it manually from http://projectredwiki.com/maven/mrtjp/MrTJPCore/1.7.10-1.0.8.16//MrTJPCore-1.7.10-1.0.8.16-universal.jar and put it in your mods folder"

Obviously my internet is working just fine, and trying to download what I need directly at that link does not work, I just get a 404 error. Any ideas?

Edit: Was considering giving Terra Firma Craft a shot, is there a particular one on Technic I should grab? Nevermind. Grabbed the first one on the list, poo poo is terrible.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 9, 2015

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Getting the following error when I try to start up the two latest versions of Modderation: Permabanned:

"CB's DepLoader was unable to download required library MrTJPCore-1.7.10-1.0.8.16-universal.jar Check your internet connection and try restarting or download it manually from http://projectredwiki.com/maven/mrtjp/MrTJPCore/1.7.10-1.0.8.16//MrTJPCore-1.7.10-1.0.8.16-universal.jar and put it in your mods folder"

Obviously my internet is working just fine, and trying to download what I need directly at that link does not work, I just get a 404 error. Any ideas?

Edit: Was considering giving Terra Firma Craft a shot, is there a particular one on Technic I should grab? Nevermind. Grabbed the first one on the list, poo poo is terrible.

Modderation: Permabanned thread for all your needs and issues. :) Looks like another annoying mod author. They moved (not copied) their files from their usual hosting (which is hard-coded in their mod to grab "external" libraries) to Curse. You can grab the file from here and you can put it under the .technic\modpacks\modderation-permabanned-edition\mods\1.7.10 directory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's a smart strategy for scoping out and establishing a mine in Terrafirmacraft? I'm expecting to get crushed by stone any moment now. What I did was used the prospector's pick on the surface where it was claiming there was lots of tetrahedrite and marking off where it became trace/scare/nonexistent. I then went to the middle of that blob and just started digging a ramp around a 1x1 hole there. Somehow, that did not cave in on me.

I figured in the future I'd dig a 2x1 hole straight down with a ladder, prospect vertically, then use support beams to mine horizontally. However, I did not yet have enough copper for a saw that'd get me a crafting table for ladders and support beams, so I had to wing it.

This area I set down in keeps getting nicer. I think I found most of the major and minor ores I need within a 300x300 area.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I settled down in a nice area in TFC. I'm right near the intersection of forest, plains, and hills biomes, so there's wood and water and animals everywhere. I have piles of copper and just found a rich cassiterite vein exposed in a chasm.

What I don't have is flux, and it's killing me for metal and leatherworking. I have a rock salt area near my homestead, so the question becomes: would it be worth it to prospect for a borax vein in the rock salt region, or should I explore for a fluxstone region farther afield? I don't know how common they are.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured in the future I'd dig a 2x1 hole straight down with a ladder, prospect vertically, then use support beams to mine horizontally. However, I did not yet have enough copper for a saw that'd get me a crafting table for ladders and support beams, so I had to wing it.

Pretty much that, although I use a 2x2 hole to get down. Once you have a big room you can safely remove the floor one layer at a time if there's still some ore left.

Prior to having support beams, there's really no safe way to mine, except for digging the whole horizontal area from the surface all the way down. The cave-ins are different now, where the block you mine can trigger a cave-in on any unsupported block in a 4x4x2 area of that mined block. Once triggered, it can spread to supported blocks and really mess things up, even destroying ore blocks. So any time you dig into a wall, the ceiling can collapse. Even just digging a 2 height tunnel.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Was there ever a totally vanilla TFC goon server?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
E: Wait, TOTALLY vanilla? We had some mods but it was things like smart moving, lamps, water skins and maps. Nothing nearly as massive as the usual modpack. :v:

There was! Stealtharcher was doing (is doing, kinda) a TFC pack. Not sure if the server's still around!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That sounds pretty reasonable compared to most other packs out there.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-terrafirmareloaded.598409

Heres the pack then, ask stealtharcher nicely and maybe something will happen! :ssh:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What does a huge TFC modpack look like? I was using the OMP one, and that mod list seemed really modest... or at least compared to the tech packs I'm used to using.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Go check out Defiance of Fate on Technic. It's a Skyblock with a quest book, but it's fairly unique in that Hardcore mode is not mandatory, which is good because the majority of the quests have absolutely no rewards. He's got a mod in there that lets you grow trees faster by going in an out of sneak mode near them, which eliminates the most obnoxious part of Skyblock maps: Waiting for your loving trees to grow.

Sadly, it has Pam's Harvestcraft in it. So prepare to starve to death a bunch. At least you aren't screwed out of completing the map for it.

Currently I'm in that phase where I'm still beating leaves with a cane to get saplings to get dirt to get rocks to get cobble. At least I've only got to do it a few more times so that I can build a cobble generator, as I've already got the bucket of lava I'll need for it.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

RickVoid posted:

He's got a mod in there that lets you grow trees faster by going in an out of sneak mode near them

The benefits of squats:
A nice workout
Legs to kill for
Tree growth

Maiden fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 11, 2015

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I have heard that Microsoft will be adding a minecraft mod-writing environment to Visual Studio.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Maiden posted:

The benefits of crunches:
A nice workout
Legs to kill for
Tree growth

I think you meant squats, but otherwise well done.

Finished my cobble generator, god it felt good to switch my tree farm over to full time apple farming.

Need to look up Ex Nihilo, my next step requires gold for casting purposes, and I've sifted a poo poo-ton of dust an not found any gold. I'm pretty sure this mod pack cranked the ore output of dust, gravel and sand way the gently caress down.

Edit: Yep, he hosed with the ore output. Gold is supposed to be very common at all levels and Redstone, Glowstone, and Blaze powder is uncommon to rare. I've got a bunch of that and none of gold.

Edit 2: FFS he set it to a 3% chance to get gold ore from sieving. The gently caress!

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 11, 2015

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Yes, thank you

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

RickVoid posted:

Go check out Defiance of Fate on Technic. It's a Skyblock with a quest book, but it's fairly unique in that Hardcore mode is not mandatory, which is good because the majority of the quests have absolutely no rewards. He's got a mod in there that lets you grow trees faster by going in an out of sneak mode near them, which eliminates the most obnoxious part of Skyblock maps: Waiting for your loving trees to grow.

Sadly, it has Pam's Harvestcraft in it. So prepare to starve to death a bunch. At least you aren't screwed out of completing the map for it.

Currently I'm in that phase where I'm still beating leaves with a cane to get saplings to get dirt to get rocks to get cobble. At least I've only got to do it a few more times so that I can build a cobble generator, as I've already got the bucket of lava I'll need for it.

Pam's harvestcraft is a powerful mod, and all it adds is different foods and cool crafting. Iguana's Hunger Overhaul (if not configured well) and The Spice of Life are the stupid garbage that punish you for playing the game when added to "hardcore" mod packs

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

RickVoid posted:

I think you meant squats, but otherwise well done.

Finished my cobble generator, god it felt good to switch my tree farm over to full time apple farming.

Need to look up Ex Nihilo, my next step requires gold for casting purposes, and I've sifted a poo poo-ton of dust an not found any gold. I'm pretty sure this mod pack cranked the ore output of dust, gravel and sand way the gently caress down.

Edit: Yep, he hosed with the ore output. Gold is supposed to be very common at all levels and Redstone, Glowstone, and Blaze powder is uncommon to rare. I've got a bunch of that and none of gold.

Edit 2: FFS he set it to a 3% chance to get gold ore from sieving. The gently caress!

So... what's the draw? Why should I play this instead of, say, Agrarian Skies 2?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well, it was entertaining up until I found out what was wrong with the pack. And it's on the Technic Launcher, which I don't think has Agrarian Skies 2 on it.

That's all I've got, TBH.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Pam's harvestcraft is a powerful mod, and all it adds is different foods and cool crafting. Iguana's Hunger Overhaul (if not configured well) and The Spice of Life are the stupid garbage that punish you for playing the game when added to "hardcore" mod packs

The fruit trees take for-goddamned-ever to do their thing, but okay, yeah, The Spice of Life and it's "Oh, this is all you have to eat? gently caress you." is what's really terrible.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danny Glands posted:

I have heard that Microsoft will be adding a minecraft mod-writing environment to Visual Studio.

For the new Windows 10 one? Didn't they say it had no plans for mod support?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Taffer posted:

For the new Windows 10 one? Didn't they say it had no plans for mod support?
Think he means this

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Spice of Life is fun if you have someone on your server who wants to play chef all day and gets really excited when the miners come home and there's a bunch of neat harvestcraft meals all laid out in a little restaurant. :3:

Ex Nihilo is a fun bridging mod but I absolutely can't stand skyblocks that rely on it anymore. The first one or two times was okay. But if I have to sit around waiting for rain to fall/a tree to finally grow/silkworms to infest my one tree/enough saplings to compost to dirt so I can hopefully sieve some stone pebbles, I'm gonna loving lose it. No one enjoys that goddamn part of skyblocks! Skip that part! Or at least accelerate it! Assist it in some loving way, don't just leave ex Nihilo to do all the lifting and make your mod/quest come in like an hour later.
There's a reason Sky Den comes with a prebuilt cobblestone generator and an automator shortly after that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Ex Nihilo is a fun bridging mod but I absolutely can't stand skyblocks that rely on it anymore. The first one or two times was okay. But if I have to sit around waiting for rain to fall/a tree to finally grow/silkworms to infest my one tree/enough saplings to compost to dirt so I can hopefully sieve some stone pebbles, I'm gonna loving lose it. No one enjoys that goddamn part of skyblocks! Skip that part! Or at least accelerate it! Assist it in some loving way, don't just leave ex Nihilo to do all the lifting and make your mod/quest come in like an hour later.
There's a reason Sky Den comes with a prebuilt cobblestone generator and an automator shortly after that.

I feel like Agrarian Skies 2 did a decent job of accelerating you through the very beginnings of an Ex Nihilo skyblock map. Among the earliest quest rewards were a device that forces the map to rain, you started with loads of bonemeal, even on harder difficulties, and another reward had a Fortune-enchanted crook.

Speaking of skyblocks, Vazkii made a skyblock map based around Botania called "Garden of Glass." I haven't played it, but it uses only Botania and not Ex Nihilo

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I've been playing Garden of Glass. It's definitely very, very different from Ex Nihilo sky blocks, at least. The big stumbling points are a) don't lose all your grass, and b) build a mob room asap. You're limited on what you can do before you hit the Nether, as there's no way to get glass and some other materials before getting an Alchemical Focus for your mana pool, and you can't make more dirt until you get mushrooms from the Nether, too.

If you like Botania, it's a fun and interesting challenge. If you don't care for Botania, you'll probably think it aggravating. On the plus side, it works well with most mods. The Orechid (which has the recipe and mana cost toned waaaay down for Garden of Glass) spawns mod ores, too. Biggest weak point for mod support I've seen so far is no way to get rubber trees for MFR. Basically, if a mod relies on non-ore worldgen, you'll probably have to Minetweak in some recipes for things.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Spice of Life is fun if you have someone on your server who wants to play chef all day and gets really excited when the miners come home and there's a bunch of neat harvestcraft meals all laid out in a little restaurant. :3:

Spice of Life is also fun when you calibrate it right. I think (as in I found an old config file, but I don't know if this was the one we packaged with our pack) when we were using it alongside Harvestcraft on WilsonSMP we had it calibrated to be food.modifier.formula=MAX(0, (1 - count/12))^MIN(8, food_hunger_value) with food history length set to 12. This encouraged players to grow a few different crops and to actually take advantage of the poo poo ton of food options that Harvestcraft added while also making it so that the player wasn't constantly starving and needing a million types of meals on them at any time. Also lunch boxes were awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Are there any good newish HQM packs? Ones that aren't skyblocks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

I've been playing Garden of Glass. It's definitely very, very different from Ex Nihilo sky blocks, at least. The big stumbling points are a) don't lose all your grass, and b) build a mob room asap. You're limited on what you can do before you hit the Nether, as there's no way to get glass and some other materials before getting an Alchemical Focus for your mana pool, and you can't make more dirt until you get mushrooms from the Nether, too.

If you like Botania, it's a fun and interesting challenge. If you don't care for Botania, you'll probably think it aggravating. On the plus side, it works well with most mods. The Orechid (which has the recipe and mana cost toned waaaay down for Garden of Glass) spawns mod ores, too. Biggest weak point for mod support I've seen so far is no way to get rubber trees for MFR. Basically, if a mod relies on non-ore worldgen, you'll probably have to Minetweak in some recipes for things.

This sounds interesting. Is there a modpack that uses it? Even just adding a small HQM book to it would be neat, for a few milestones to work towards.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
TFC packs tend to be small, since they although TFC is totally compatible, the mods don't always mesh well with the radically changed mechanics.

That said, I wouldn't be against bringing the pack and server back for a fresh start. I can think of a few additions that'd be fun, and I think there might have been a TFC update.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

This sounds interesting. Is there a modpack that uses it? Even just adding a small HQM book to it would be neat, for a few milestones to work towards.

Garden of Glass is less than a week old, so probably not.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

As Garden of Glass was only just released the other day, no, not yet. I've considered putting together a small pack and some sort of book (I'm thinking more the achievement book type thing I've seen in a couple packs, instead of an HQM book). If I do, though, it'll be a small pack focused around working with just Botania rather than a crazy pack of everything under the sun.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

A pack focused around Botania sounds like it would be cool, even a skyblock one could be neat (Though probably boring like all skyblocks). But only Botania? Ehhh.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Well, it was entertaining up until I found out what was wrong with the pack. And it's on the Technic Launcher, which I don't think has Agrarian Skies 2 on it.

mechaet posted AgSkies 2 to the Technic Platform. It's not the latest as the updates break existing worlds (of which mechaet has one hosted).

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

A pack focused around Botania sounds like it would be cool, even a skyblock one could be neat (Though probably boring like all skyblocks). But only Botania? Ehhh.

I probably worded that badly. It'd be focused around using Botania rather than having a million content mods. Stuff the compliments rather than replacing Botania the instant you get access to it.

As an example I'd have something to simplify Redstone because Botania autonation relies rather heavily on it and that's kind of a pain in the rear end, but having something like Project Red wiring would simplify the process immensely while still relying on Botania for the work.

With a skyblock you don't need to just do the most convenient thing all the time, particularly if it doesn't have Jadedcat's ridiculously grindy quests and love of starving people, so taking the time to learn and use Botania's automation (and it can automate most things) makes more sense.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
FTB is supposed to come out with a botania pack any day now if they haven't already. It's designed to introduce people to botania and provide ultimate botania challenges. It has some other mods, but the main mod is botania.

It appears to be on their site but I can't find it in the launcher. I sort of hate the ftb launcher to be honest.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

I sort of hate the ftb launcher to be honest.

Yeah, there's a good reason that the really popular packs on FTB tend to get mirrored on Technic by some of the people here.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

lolmer posted:

mechaet posted AgSkies 2 to the Technic Platform. It's not the latest as the updates break existing worlds (of which mechaet has one hosted).

Once they're done with the hosted world I'd really appreciate it being brought up to date.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My TFC base area is generally good, but I have no visible flux stone. How rare is that stuff? I have made it 8km to 0,0 and I found none. Also, how does rock salt generate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
So I'm playing Clouds of Darkness, I get to The End page, I drop in the 12 Eyes of Ender, and the portal doesn't open. Is this intentional, or should I cheat in a portal block?