Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Make kumba eat a sea cucumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

lobster is peasant food in the philippines, I think this is appropriate.

was the same thing in america until we discovered that they taste delicious when covered in melted butter

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

lobster is peasant food in the philippines, I think this is appropriate.

Lobster was a peasant food in the US for a long time until rich people discovered it actually tastes good

e: ^ f;b

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have never had lobster. Crab is really good though.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

It was peasant food because it doesn't keep well and poor people ate it while it was rotting.

Cooking it live made it more palatable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So wait, if you don't cook them alive then they rot? And people think this is good food? What kind of food can't sit in a freezer and be okay, goodness.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

So wait, if you don't cook them alive then they rot? And people think this is good food? What kind of food can't sit in a freezer and be okay, goodness.

They rot very quickly and are pains to transport, yes, which was a big deal in the 18th century when freezing and rapid transportation options were very limited.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Not only that, if you don't cook them alive they rot, and will make you very sick or kill you from ammonia poisoning

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Same with all shellfish

Its why you don't eat muscles or clams that don't open while cooking, if they are alive they open up as they are dying from being cooked, if they are already dead they do not

sometimes this is also caused from being improperly shucked as well though, in which case they are prolly fine to eat

JakeP fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2015

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

if they are alive they open up as they are dying from being cooked, if they are already dead they do not

Sounds like your dota game

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sweet, I'm in the diet game.

Can people I know join it so I don't get all agoraphobic and frightened?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
is this a bug?

well its also a crustacean

crustaceans can be bugs.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

is this a bug?

well its also a crustacean

crustaceans can be bugs.

looks delicious

http://www.porcellio.scaber.org/woodlice/recipes.htm

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ecco is there a way to contact Soru other than pm?

this is cute but no, nobody in this thread knows his phone number or sees him in person.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Lobsters are sea cockroaches, shrimp are sea worms, crabs are sea beatles

mermen are sea diqnol

CCKeane posted:

Cooking it live made it more palatable.

keane you are missing the most CRUSH CAPITALISM interpretation! it was also used at a fancy restaurant as a Statement food, and it rapidly became so popular and expensive the poor couldn't eat it anymore.

JakeP posted:

/woodlice/

pillbug

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

mermen are sea diqnol

We have many differences but in the end my aquatic form works with me in solving the lurking problem.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

Sweet, I'm in the diet game.

Can people I know join it so I don't get all agoraphobic and frightened?

Yes, join my game everyone!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730666

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else bummed out that Satoru Iwata died?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

Yeah :(

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm currently reading American Psycho at the moment and enjoying it for the most part. Usually when he talks about music I try to listen to the track.

I just read the chapter titled Genesis. I never knew why exactly Phil Collins was a walking punch-line until now. They are a horrible plastic band. I'll admit that there was the rare pop track in the albums Bateman reviews that I enjoyed but by and large it's just awful. I wonder if Genesis was actually better/good with Peter Gabriel around, though the only thing I know by that dude is 'Solsbury Hill', which is a fine fun song, but I am in no mood to listen to more Genesis to find out.

Either way, this fictional character has terrible taste in music. I'm cleansing out my ears and brain by listening to Mission of Burma. Hard to believe that the two groups were writing their stuff around at the same time. Music's so varied.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 27, 2020

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Genesis is great you shut your dirty mouth!!!

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

imgay posted:

Yeah :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Against All Odds is an all-time best song.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
American Psycho is my favorite book.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Peter Gabriel is fantastic

merk posted:

Ok Mills

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
if you dont love Land of Confusion and Sussudio then what is wrong with you ???

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kumbamontu posted:

Genesis is great you shut your dirty mouth!!!

Maybe I shouldn't have binged them and again maybe Gabriel-era Genesis is good, I don't know and I probably won't bother to find out. But Duke, AbabcabGenesis, and Invisible Touch just wore me out.

Sussudio was actually the point I just closed my lap-top. I had had too much at that point and couldn't keep at it. I do like their use of a drum machine though. It's pretty inspired though seems a bit samey after a while.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Against All Odds is an all-time best song.

It's fine. Like I said there are some good songs here and there. I think that 'That's All' from Genesis stands out the most for me at this moment.

merk posted:

I'm really enjoying it but there are some nauseating bits. I can't remember reading something so graphic in so long. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I've already seen the movie back in college but Bateman's so... bland, which I guess is the point, that thankfully he doesn't look like Christian Bale as I read it. In fact I've managed to separate the two altogether. I wasn't able to do this with LotR, which I read after I saw the movies and unfortunately most of the cast played out the book for me as I read them. It's the same reason I never saw more than the 1st Harry Potter film as the cast began to infiltrate my own imagined characters and I refused to let that happen.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You should really listen to Peter Gabriel

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm currently reading American Psycho at the moment and enjoying it for the most part. Usually when he talks about music I try to listen to the track.

I just read the chapter titled Genesis. I never knew why exactly Phil Collins was a walking punch-line until now. They are a horrible plastic band. I'll admit that there was the rare pop track in the albums Bateman reviews that I enjoyed but by and large it's just awful. I wonder if Genesis was actually better/good with Peter Gabriel around, though the only thing I know by that dude is 'Solsbury Hill', which is a fine fun song, but I am in no mood to listen to more Genesis to find out.

Either way, this fictional character has terrible taste in music. I'm cleansing out my ears and brain by listening to Mission of Burma. Hard to believe that the two groups were writing their stuff around at the same time. Music's so varied.

The problem with using Bateman as a guide to the 80s is that he's intentionally written to be a smug piece of poo poo, so basically he's going to point at exactly all the wrong reasons to listen to Genesis.

Collins doesn't become a walking punchline until you get to stuff like his Serious Message Songs on his solo records, flying Concorde to sit in at both Live Aid concerts, trying to act, all that nonsense.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh

this thread moves too fast

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

same bug different name

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

what animes he make?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

i liked the movie should I read this

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

You should really listen to Peter Gabriel

If you can suggest the two best Gabriel-era Genesis albums and his two best solo albums I'll listen to them sometime this week.

Allen Wren posted:

Collins doesn't become a walking punchline until you get to stuff like his Serious Message Songs on his solo records, flying Concorde to sit in at both Live Aid concerts, trying to act, all that nonsense.

This I did not know.

JakeP posted:

I'm really enjoying it so far. My partner stopped reading it several years ago because of all the lists, but I don't mind them.

JakeP posted:

what animes he make?

He was the president of Nintendo during the most recent period. I don't know what he was personally responsible for but I like Nintendo and I worry it isn't a company that holds up through loss/change but I have no real reason to think that so I'm probably wrong.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

EccoRaven posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

hey derp ur gonna die

and samfucius!

and... *checks map*

opopanax! king of bleh! windshipper! alasdair!

...and me???!!?!

Humans are idiots.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

hey derp ur gonna die

and samfucius!

and... *checks map*

opopanax! king of bleh! windshipper! alasdair!

...and me???!!?!

This article is pretty scary. Maybe I don't want to move to the Pacific NW after all.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
maybe after having all our roads destroyed we might be able to rebuild them into a functioning transportation system

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
hopefully its like that kurt russel movie from the 90s where he is very good at basketball

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Kumbamontu posted:

if you dont love Land of Confusion and Sussudio then what is wrong with you ???