Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. :mrgw:

Except hitting and dealing no damage is still a thing in Morrowind too? In Morrowind there are four cases: you miss the enemy physically, you hit the enemy physically but miss on the roll, you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll but your weapon is too weak to do damage or you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll and your weapon does damage. Oblivion and Skyrim take out the second case because having two possibilities for failure - one player-based and one character-based - before the game even begins damage calculations is questionable design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Except hitting and dealing no damage is still a thing in Morrowind too? In Morrowind there are four cases: you miss the enemy physically, you hit the enemy physically but miss on the roll, you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll but your weapon is too weak to do damage or you hit the enemy physically, hit on the roll and your weapon does damage. Oblivion and Skyrim take out the second case because having two possibilities for failure - one player-based and one character-based - before the game even begins damage calculations is questionable design.
Huh, really? drat, I've been playing the game for twelve years and never realised that was the case. Even if it's only a fringe occurrence, that is pretty dumb.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

They animated the holographic contact lenses on Batman's eyes when he's using the communications thing with oracle.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beastie posted:

They animated the holographic contact lenses on Batman's eyes when he's using the communications thing with oracle.

If you turn the camera while talking to Alfred you can make it look like he has Batman ears. I did it every time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

If you turn the camera while talking to Alfred you can make it look like he has Batman ears. I did it every time.

:haw:

There's no way that was unintentional.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
My friend had a moment of realization when I told him since Metal Gear Solid 3 you've been playing as the bad guy. The gameplay, characters and story in the recent games are so good you forget the Boss becomes the villain through all this stuff he's doing building the private army and all.

Not really a little thing, it was just fun to blow his mind for a minute.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Romes128 posted:

My friend had a moment of realization when I told him since Metal Gear Solid 3 you've been playing as the bad guy. The gameplay, characters and story in the recent games are so good you forget the Boss becomes the villain through all this stuff he's doing building the private army and all.

Not really a little thing, it was just fun to blow his mind for a minute.

The end of 4 kind of retcons Big Boss into being much more of a good guy though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EmmyOk posted:

The end of 4 kind of retcons Big Boss into being much more of a good guy though

It was Peace Walker that sort of bridged the gap on this one. When he starts MSF and Mother Base he's basically just trying to protect people who can't protect themselves, while simultaneously trying to give soldiers a place that can call home. Basically just an upsized version of a neighborhood watch staffed by ex-police or something.

But over the course of Peace Walker, affronts against both his ideals and his base push him further and further. He's a good man underneath it all, but he's a good man with a nuclear option who's recruited at least one child soldier. Presumably, MGSV will showcase him going properly off the deep end.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Cleretic posted:

He's a good man underneath it all, but he's a good man with a nuclear option who's recruited at least one child soldier.

Awgh. You've just reminded me of my favorite little part of Ground Zeroes. Not favorite because they make me feel good, either. Favorite because it shows that no matter how many problems Big Boss causes, he will still be better than the men who kidnapped said child soldier.

XOF bolted Chico's ankles to keep him immobile. gently caress people who would do that.

Exit Strategy has a new favorite as of 08:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

Awgh. You've just reminded me of my favorite little part of Ground Zeroes. Not favorite because they make me feel good, either. Favorite because it shows that no matter how many problems Big Boss causes, he will still be better than the men who kidnapped said child soldier.

XOF bolted Chico's ankles to keep him immobile. gently caress people who would do that.

V-bomb

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I'm still not sure whether that particular bit was supposed to show us how utterly hosed up war is, how utterly hosed up the bad guys are, or if we just got Kojima'd.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm still not sure whether that particular bit was supposed to show us how utterly hosed up war is, how utterly hosed up the bad guys are, or if we just got Kojima'd.

It's 3 but he thinks it's 1 and 2.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

All three baby

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Everything about Chico in Ground Zeroes was my favorite little thing for all the worst reasons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I still absolutely adore that the animal villagers in New Leaf will throw you a birthday party ever year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cleretic posted:

It was Peace Walker that sort of bridged the gap on this one. When he starts MSF and Mother Base he's basically just trying to protect people who can't protect themselves, while simultaneously trying to give soldiers a place that can call home. Basically just an upsized version of a neighborhood watch staffed by ex-police or something.

But over the course of Peace Walker, affronts against both his ideals and his base push him further and further. He's a good man underneath it all, but he's a good man with a nuclear option who's recruited at least one child soldier. Presumably, MGSV will showcase him going properly off the deep end.

Couldn't The Phantom Pain in theory cover the events leading up to and including the original Metal Gear, much like MGS2 had the Tanker and Plant chapters as a bit of a fan fakeout? It seems to me like a more logical reason to recast Boss's voice actor would be so that David Hayter can come in as a young Snake in the same game as Big Boss. Possibly even playing the villain if they're trying to explain Boss's side of the story.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Couldn't The Phantom Pain in theory cover the events leading up to and including the original Metal Gear, much like MGS2 had the Tanker and Plant chapters as a bit of a fan fakeout? It seems to me like a more logical reason to recast Boss's voice actor would be so that David Hayter can come in as a young Snake in the same game as Big Boss. Possibly even playing the villain if they're trying to explain Boss's side of the story.

That is pretty commonly what's expected from TPP by the end. Except Snake being a villain. It will be the same sacrifice The Boss made where she appeared to be evil but was good all along except with Big Boss and Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hopefully they don't double back on Big Boss' descent into villainy because TPP's plot is like the most "your guy will lose faith in everything he believes in and face to bloodshed" plot to be in a video game in a long-rear end time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Hopefully they don't double back on Big Boss' descent into villainy because TPP's plot is like the most "your guy will lose faith in everything he believes in and face to bloodshed" plot to be in a video game in a long-rear end time.

That would be cool. The staff pressured Kojima into having Snake survive 4 instead of being executed for his war crimes with Otacon or shooting himself. The staff were like "nooooo" and made him add all the Big Boss stuff. So hopefully he gets to tell his story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It really doesn't seem like there's any coming back from this but I guess you never know.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Making you think you know exactly what you're going to get and then giving you something completely nuts instead is basically Kojima's modus operandi, so at this point I rule out nothing.

In Sunless Sea, I like how the explanation of how you can keep sunlight in a box to sell is "They do it with mirrors."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

It really doesn't seem like there's any coming back from this but I guess you never know.

I guess but I mean pre-3 I'd imagine most people never thought they'd symapthise with Big Boss at any point in his life. Regardless I'm pretty excited to see what will happen! All I hope for is Maximum Master Miller

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

That would be cool. The staff pressured Kojima into having Snake survive 4 instead of being executed for his war crimes with Otacon or shooting himself. The staff were like "nooooo" and made him add all the Big Boss stuff. So hopefully he gets to tell his story

One thing I've never understood is, exactly which war crimes were they supposed to be executed for? Do people still think they killed all those Marines in the beginning of MGS2?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thinky Whale posted:

In Sunless Sea, I like how the explanation of how you can keep sunlight in a box to sell is "They do it with mirrors."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

…huh?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's how power works in Minecraft, are you telling me Minecraft's science isn't accurate?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
In the future, programmers and engineers will list their Minecraft experience, but the theoretical physicists will be blacklisted.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

She just cut that other woman's feet off at the ankles

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flatluigi posted:

She just cut that other woman's feet off at the ankles

I swear every time you look at that gif there's another layer of something wrong to it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Why not just point the lipstick at the door?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

You'd only have one laser, duh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

Obviously any door worth cutting through is going to be single laser proof.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

EmmyOk posted:

That is pretty commonly what's expected from TPP by the end. Except Snake being a villain. It will be the same sacrifice The Boss made where she appeared to be evil but was good all along except with Big Boss and Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

On topic for the thread, but slightly off topic for this conversation. When you die in the Batman games, they have one of the villains say a quick one liner to you before you restart. In Arkham Knight, they had (spoiler just in case) Joker do a "Bats? Bats! BAAATTTTTSSSSSSSSSSS" It's pretty commonly parodied, but it was funny to hear it all the same.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
There's a lot of really funny meta comments in the goon chatter in Arkham Knight.

(paraphrased from memory) -

"I ran in Gotham years ago with Bane's crew. City sure has changed a lot since then."

"So, what now?"
"I don't know, maybe Metropolis?"
"Maybe. Gotham's been pretty good to us."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nth Doctor posted:

The mirrors reflect the laser back and forth so it increases in intensity, allowing it to melt the door. Geez, didn't you pay attention in school

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

There's a lot of really funny meta comments in the goon chatter in Arkham Knight.

(paraphrased from memory) -

"I ran in Gotham years ago with Bane's crew. City sure has changed a lot since then."

"So, what now?"
"I don't know, maybe Metropolis?"
"Maybe. Gotham's been pretty good to us."

So which part of the two gigantic wiki pages you've linked here make this interesting or funny?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
it's this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Chard posted:

So which part of the two gigantic wiki pages you've linked here make this interesting or funny?

Sorry, I've been spending a lot of time in the Arkham Knight thread, forgot not everybody has been playing these things obsessively.

The guy from Bane's crew is a joke about Arkham Origins. Specifically, about how Gotham City is laid out in that game is completely different from Arkham Knight, as Origins was made by a different developer and is generally regarded as the black sheep of the series.

The next one the two goons are talking after the main storyline is over about what they're going to do next, but it's a reference to rumours that they're doing a Superman game next. "Gotham's been good to us" seems like a clear reference to the success of the series.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Perry Normal posted:

The guy from Bane's crew is a joke about Arkham Origins. Specifically, about how Gotham City is laid out in that game is completely different from Arkham Knight, as Origins was made by a different developer and is generally regarded as the black sheep of the series.

Except not really? The map in Origins was largely recycled from Arkham City, with the new area being a large island to the south.

Arkham Knight takes place in a completely different part of Gotham. You can look off to the South from Wayne Tower and see the city from City/Origins, including Wonder Tower and Poison Ivy's overgrown hideout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can see the original Arkham Asylum, too. A lot of distant landmarks are riddle targets.