Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

cygwin, now thats a name i haven5 heard in a great many years. honestly surprised that its limped its way into this decade

sometimes you simply have to use a windows and you want a way to make it behave slightly more like a good and user-friendly os. cygwin is better than nothing in these circumstances. and its terminal is actually pretty good, at least compared to the poo poo microsoft ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

meanwhile, in gnome land, they decided to just quietly break theme engines one day

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211

i broke your app AND i'm happy about it

yes, using undocumented apis and hardcoding private structure layouts tends to break as private implementation details are rearranged from version to version

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

lmao using cygwin and trashtalking linux

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
MY PRIVATE THEME CONTRACTS

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
so I finally took the plunge and installed fedora 22 on my machine so I could play with deepdream on cuda. it's nice, other than the software store being a barren turd, new shells in gnome terminal opening in the same directory as the previous shell and gstreamer making GBS threads itself on x264 after installing the rpmfusion codecs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

yes, using undocumented apis and hardcoding private structure layouts tends to break as private implementation details are rearranged from version to version

it was a documented api, and they deprecated it.

but then it turned out to be more convenient to just break it and leave it broken. deprecation policies are for wussbag losers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No. You misunderstand. The API that was deprecated was the theming API in general. That continues to work. oxygen-gtk was using undocumented hacks to pull out a GtkWidget from a theming engine which broke accidentally in an update.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

No. You misunderstand. The API that was deprecated was the theming API in general. That continues to work. oxygen-gtk was using undocumented hacks to pull out a GtkWidget from a theming engine which broke accidentally in an update.

matthias explicitly mentions that the other popular gtk theme engines were broken, too

so it looks like the theming engine is just entirely busted

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The theming engine API was explicitly removed, in favor of pure CSS, to encourage theme authors to port from arbitrary code running in your computer to declarative CSS rules, and then it was brought back when users told us they couldn't port in time.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
css and javascript

gnome, bringing the worst parts of webdev to your desktop experience

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
theming has always been a gigantic clusterfuck and if a change to css broke it then it was about time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

css and javascript

gnome, bringing the worst parts of webdev to your desktop experience

the default gnome theme is ~5,000 lines of css

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the default gnome theme is ~5,000 lines of css

but I'm sure they do something like use a CSS compiler with an LLVM back-end and an on-disk cache to ensure maximum rendering performance, right?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Anyone else prefer the cygwin terminal to putty for remote linuxing on windows? It's the only good use I've found for that POS.

It is also easier to use mosh with, and to drop out and scp instead of finding pscp.exe

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Anyone else prefer the cygwin terminal to putty for remote linuxing on windows? It's the only good use I've found for that POS.

yeah I much prefer using a proper shell to putty, which means I can use my regular profile and ssh configs.
but cygwin is overkill for that, i installed git for windows, and wrap its bash shell with consolez

pram
Jun 10, 2001

gabensraum posted:

yeah I much prefer using a proper shell to putty, which means I can use my regular profile and ssh configs.
but cygwin is overkill for that, i installed git for windows, and wrap its bash shell with consolez

jesus gently caress

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nobody should ever theme their widget set come the gently caress on

do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

the "Oxygen" bit leads me to believe that it's a look-and-feel fudge to make GNOME apps look a bit more like KDE apps when running under KDE (but of course there's a bit more to a desktop environment's style than just the exact bordering and shading of the buttons). that's like literally the only valid use case for ui theming.

if you want to complain about GNOME ui customization, complain instead about the fact that everything's packed into a binary resource blob as of 3.14 or so instead of being a bunch of loose js and css files in /usr/share that you can edit freely like it used to be. like, cmon, this isn't windows, you can open 1000 files up really quickly in linux. quickly enough that it's not going to be that big a deal for application startup, especially since those files are likely already in the fs cache (if somebody says something about nfs then i will fight them). also it's not even 1000 it's maybe 100 or so, if that. and your ui pixmaps are all separate files anyway. argh.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

pram posted:

jesus gently caress

please don't shellshame

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Dog posted:

nobody should ever theme their widget set come the gently caress on

do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

one major thing that held back GNUstep in the late 1990s was an influx of "but it looks old, it needs themes so it can look like ___!" idiots

if they'd just stuck to copying the NeXT look—I think it was even part of the OpenStep spec, Sun used it for OpenStep/Solaris which was an independent implementation so far as I know—and focused on functionality, they'd have gotten a lot farther in the time they spent

(they wasted way too much time and effort on interop anyway, instead of just making poo poo work right and drat anything beyond ASCII text copy & paste for the apps using inferior APIs)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

gabensraum posted:

please don't shellshame

not like they're using csh after all

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they just don't have to provide larry ellison with a handsome profit on top of all those salaries

somebody, please put java out of our misery, tia

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

when will Microsoft be releasing the .NET rewrite of Minecraft?

(or the C++ native app rewrite?)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

if you want to complain about GNOME ui customization, complain instead about the fact that everything's packed into a binary resource blob as of 3.14 or so instead of being a bunch of loose js and css files in /usr/share that you can edit freely like it used to be. like, cmon, this isn't windows, you can open 1000 files up really quickly in linux. quickly enough that it's not going to be that big a deal for application startup, especially since those files are likely already in the fs cache (if somebody says something about nfs then i will fight them). also it's not even 1000 it's maybe 100 or so, if that. and your ui pixmaps are all separate files anyway. argh.

I am not kidding when I say that this shaved 4 seconds of startup time on some of our computers at Endless. Rotary disks are loving slow, man.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am not kidding when I say that this shaved 4 seconds of startup time on some of our computers at Endless. Rotary disks are loving slow, man.

You're shipping new devices in 2015 with spinning disks? So much for caring about usability.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

java is actually a great language. i read somewhere that java 8 was as fast as c, i have no idea if thats true or not but i choose to believe it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Maximum Leader posted:

java is actually a great language. i read somewhere that java 8 was as fast as c, i have no idea if thats true or not but i choose to believe it.

on the other hand, larry ellison

pram
Jun 10, 2001
java owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

on the other hand, larry ellison

yeah larry is yet another reason java owns

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what were you hoping to accomplish w/ satellite?

i'm not using it directly -- the ops team is using it for a new provisioning system

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your ops team is a piece of poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

You're shipping new devices in 2015 with spinning disks? So much for caring about usability.

Yes. What do you recommend we use instead? SSDs which would bump the base BOM price from $200 to $300 at least? eMMC / SD card storage, like the solution the $160 model uses?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
over the weekend i played the endless_party_b1 song as lobby music and ppl liked it

i can mail u a dollar if u want to collect ur performance royalties

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

it isn't really, but it's fast enough and a drat sight faster than any plang

(source: I recently reimplemented a decades-old cpu-bound c program in both python and java, trying to write efficient code without calling out to c or going overboard into unreadable soup.

the python version is slow as poo poo, no surprise, but good enough for the purpose it serves.

the java code is generally 2-3 times slower than the old c version if you force it to run in a single thread, but runs faster in normal use because it uses all the available cores whereas the c version was only single-threaded and gently caress trying to retrofit multithreading into ancient c code.

this is with java 8; java 7 is noticeably slower, java 6 is quite poor. they really have improved the jvm a hell of a lot recently.)

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm glad to be right up there next to DeskP hone. Thanks, Chief

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
qlab ftw

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes. What do you recommend we use instead? SSDs which would bump the base BOM price from $200 to $300 at least? eMMC / SD card storage, like the solution the $160 model uses?

Unless you're getting the HDs for free as factory castoffs, small capacity SSDs shouldn't add more than $20.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

over the weekend i played the endless_party_b1 song as lobby music and ppl liked it

i can mail u a dollar if u want to collect ur performance royalties

you mean your playback software doesn't automatically just send a tip to the Bitcoin address embedded in the song?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

actually using it for a little browsing and the like my Endless has been plenty zippy, despite rotating storage

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

James Baud posted:

Unless you're getting the HDs for free as factory castoffs, small capacity SSDs shouldn't add more than $20.

so ... a 10% price hike in order to shave a few seconds off startup times while drastically reducing storage capacity? sounds like the perfect decision for this computer whose main selling point is low price rather than high performance

like, i still use rotating hds in my main desktop, i could easily afford to switch to ssd any time i wanted to but i haven't felt the need because everything runs fine. they're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

James Baud posted:

and how much would a 500GB SSD add? that's what the $200 model includes. I think it just might increase the BoM a bit more than that.