Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Durp, what I meant to say was Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Truga posted:

Process is a process.

A daemon is an application that runs in the background and does things. "background process" I think in windows.

Service is the more appropriate windows analog.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's a service.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Usually a daemon is a service that listens for something to request a process and then starts up the process in response to the request, and sometimes opens up a network socket for it as well.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

What's your contact info again? I did R2I and I think my resume is certainly nicer, but I also think I am terrible at keeping my summary bit up to date with what I want to do.

PM sent

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Is there any actual difference between a process (Windows) compared to a daemon (Linux)?

The same distinction between process/daemon/service exists in Linux, too.

Process -> everything

Daemon -> (generally) background process not attached to any STDIN, without a GUI, probably with open ports. In Linux, "nohup /usr/bin/sshd" would be daemonized, but not a service.

Service -> (generally) a monitored daemon which gets told to stop/start/restart when the system boots/reboots, it dies, or some other condition changes (network, whatever)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Well after I hosed myself out of a guaranteed full time position with the Sheriff's department that I've been at for the last 2 1/2 years I am finally YOTJing. It's a small bump in pay but the main gain is in benefits and retirement savings. I'm sure working at a small MSP will be hell but it will beat the boredom I experience here and I'll be able to actually touch new things so I should be able to jump ship for a proper system admin job in a year. :yotj:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress all Sheriff's Offices everywhere. You'll be better off.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Considering that this one just got a new sheriff and he's trying to get rid of the IT department so the county infrastructure can take it I'll say you're right

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think the new job is going pretty well. It's amazing what a difference a competent manager can make.

I need to learn about VMware/storage pretty quickly. I've never done AD stuff before but it doesn't seem too complex. I am sure there is a ton of stuff that's not on the surface but just getting the basics seems good enough for now at least. I'm trying to do things in the ADAC instead of ADUC wherever possible. What is the difference between making AD changes on the DC vs doing them locally (I have a server that I do admin tasks from)? I've just used my local machine, but any time my boss shows me stuff he remotes to a DC

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Doing it locally is the right way to do it. By using RDP or other tools to remote to the server, you're unnecessarily using system resources. It probably won't cause any harm but it's not best practices.

If you can get him to kick that habit, you can go with server core in the future and run a leaner setup.

Continue using ADAC and start copying out the Powershell scripts it generates. As you get better, you'll eventually graduate to Powershell administration.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Any tips to start getting hands on networking stuff in the workplace? I work with like a 4 man team and we support a good amount of small to medium sized businesses. I'm taking ICND2 in a month but I feel like what I'm learning from studying and what I learn from listening/reading configs at work is wildly different.

Should I just wait until I have my CCNA and then start trying to snatch any tickets I see come in that seem to be network related?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
As a guy who spent four hours yesterday wrangling with some horrendous NAT/ACL setup on an ASA, be careful what you wish for.

If not for packet-tracer I'd have offed myself by the two hour mark, easily.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That's why Cisco tac exists.

I spent hours diagnosing why a company's unity licence was expired then my coworker looked at it for five minutes and figured out there were too many seats. And I'm taking ccna voice exam in an hour. Experience matters.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

crunk dork posted:

I feel like what I'm learning from studying and what I learn from listening/reading configs at work is wildly different.

That's normal both because people implement stupid hacks or are ignorant of some functions and because some of the class material is hopelessly idealistic and certain things cannot be practically implemented outside an ivory tower. The key to being good that tends to come from experience is to tell the difference between the two.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

keseph posted:

because some of the class material is hopelessly idealistic and certain things cannot be practically implemented outside an ivory tower. The key to being good that tends to come from experience is to tell the difference between the two.

Absolutely. For instance the actual MCSE materials (2003/2008) era make it sounds like the built in remote/VPN solution in Windows Server (ISA) is great and fantastic and in widespread use, whereas far as I know even in the heyday of Server 2003 not that many people used it. Even while I was going through the learning process to get those certs, which I did before even having an IT job (paper tiger ahoy), I could tell that some of this stuff was clearly Microsoft trying to teach you to use their built-in solution but that the real world probably did not generally use it because of configuration difficulty, unreliability, or simply that someone else had a much better solution (i.e. why would you terminate a critical service like VPN on a full-blown server operating system rather than a network device that theoretically is more locked down and less likely to crash randomly).

And then yeah, a lot of people don't know what best practice or recommended config looks like (or it's changed since it was set up, see under AD domains ending in .local), so you look at it and go "that doesn't match with what Cisco/Microsoft/VMware says you should do" and then either the person who did it goes "I know, but here's why I chose this design and made the decision to go against their recommendation", or "derpity I've always done it this way seems to work we shouldn't change it". The latter situation is when you start figuring out if that person is amenable to arguments as to why they're wrong and willing to change, or whether you should start considering YOTJ.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Well my server room flooded over the weekend.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My back hurts just looking at that goddamn printer on the floor.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm betting it's on wheels, so it basically belongs on the floor anyway.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
At least the "Janitor's Closet" sign on the door keeps people from shoulder-tapping you right?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Potato Alley posted:

Absolutely. For instance the actual MCSE materials (2003/2008) era make it sounds like the built in remote/VPN solution in Windows Server (ISA) is great and fantastic and in widespread use, whereas far as I know even in the heyday of Server 2003 not that many people used it. Even while I was going through the learning process to get those certs, which I did before even having an IT job (paper tiger ahoy), I could tell that some of this stuff was clearly Microsoft trying to teach you to use their built-in solution but that the real world probably did not generally use it because of configuration difficulty, unreliability, or simply that someone else had a much better solution (i.e. why would you terminate a critical service like VPN on a full-blown server operating system rather than a network device that theoretically is more locked down and less likely to crash randomly).

And then yeah, a lot of people don't know what best practice or recommended config looks like (or it's changed since it was set up, see under AD domains ending in .local), so you look at it and go "that doesn't match with what Cisco/Microsoft/VMware says you should do" and then either the person who did it goes "I know, but here's why I chose this design and made the decision to go against their recommendation", or "derpity I've always done it this way seems to work we shouldn't change it". The latter situation is when you start figuring out if that person is amenable to arguments as to why they're wrong and willing to change, or whether you should start considering YOTJ.

true story we actually deployed a few ISA Server 2000 solutions back in the day

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Other site had a layoff and a voluntary termination, so they jacked one of our guys. On call rotation is shrunk by that much.

This job is super chill, but it's starting to get less attractive. The pay is going nowhere, advancement isn't really a possibility, and the on calls get more frequent.

I'm hitting my 3 year next year. It might be time to cert up and :yotj:. I love this site, but the money isn't cutting it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you reach the point where you have no faith in the ability of your colleagues to perform a task without loving up and causing you a ton of work, is there any option other than :yotj:?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you reach the point where you have no faith in the ability of your colleagues to perform a task without loving up and causing you a ton of work, is there any option other than :yotj:?
Depends on the competency of your management, the competency of their management, and how much you really believe in the company/love the work otherwise.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you me? Oh, and my boss just got fired along with the head of development so that the new regime can bring in their crony. We are already missing management in between ops and the executives, and now we just lost the only guy who had our back. Half of my incompetent team is out of the office and new projects are stacking up.

If anyone needs a sr. linux sysadmin with a deep understanding of puppet and web operations, let me know. :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vulture Culture posted:

Depends on the competency of your management, the competency of their management, and how much you really believe in the company/love the work otherwise.

Yeah none of that. :yotj: it is!

Edit: The last two hires have been people that someone knew, the position wasn't advertised and there was no interview. They are both bad.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 13, 2015

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Has anyone ever had a technical interview with a 3rd party screening company? I have a Corp2Corp job contract that is outsourcing the screening, not sure what to expect in terms of level of technical grilling

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

Has anyone ever had a technical interview with a 3rd party screening company? I have a Corp2Corp job contract that is outsourcing the screening, not sure what to expect in terms of level of technical grilling

Sounds really dumb actually and would be a redflag for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sepist posted:

Are you not Networking Jesus?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Sounds really dumb actually and would be a redflag for me.

Yeah, they're taking what should be a way to get insight into how you work and turning it into (I assume) a binary CORRECT/WRONG test.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea I find it a bit dumb too and think it could potentially scrape a good candidate even if it's not me. There is still another interview process if I pass this one, direct with the client. This technical screening is done by the recruitment company to decide if they ship off the resume to the client..

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you not Networking Jesus?

I suppose - this positions not even that network technical, I work with wayyyyyy more advanced poo poo at my current contract - but this government job wants a Networking + LAMP developer which I kind of am and can be hard to find so they are paying ridiculous for it.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Some of our clients make us roll candidates through tech screens. It's a pain in the rear end (because I generally have only basic knowledge of the topic) but ultimately as a recruiter I don't want you to fail unless you come across as a real dummy.

Maybe ask the recruiter if he will give you the questions ahead of time so you can prep?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm betting it's on wheels, so it basically belongs on the floor anyway.

looks like a 4600. I have one here (at home :D ) that I liberated from an office closure. Really loving heavy, but seems to be made on the tail end of 'When HP made sturdy printers'

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
It is the type of service I would consider if I was hiring someone with way more expertise than I have in an area. Pay a friendly engineer who I trust to lab up and grill high level applicants before the screening for culture fit type of thing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

joe944 posted:

If anyone needs a sr. linux sysadmin with a deep understanding of puppet and web operations, let me know. :D
Ooh, Bay Area. PM me your resume, please.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Today, our pre-sales guys were bitching about the fact that we're completing projects in less time than they're scoping into the contracts. That's what happens when you go with a FFP contract for an easy project, dudes. Maybe start pushing T&M if you're so worried about customers complaining about buying hours they don't need.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm loving the :yotj: so far. It's amazing how dysfunctional my last job was, compared to this job. An office where everyone isn't talking about dicks 24x7? A place where people actually discuss things and share information? Where there's money for things that are needed--or even just nice to have?

I don't think I'm going to be a contractor for long either, so that's good too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

myron cope posted:

An office where everyone isn't talking about dicks 24x7? A place where people actually discuss things and share information?

Where does one apply? :smith:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I don't even. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Well that marks about the first time since the Windows 95 era that I've seen the phrase "WinTel" used seriously.