Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

palamedes posted:

What are people using to blast down concrete walls and metal doors in the dev version? Dynamite and fertilizer bombs have been hilariously nerfed. ANFO and RDX charges seem impractical to manufacture and haul. I got lucky and found an artifact that shakes down walls for 150 rads per charge but without it I think I would be shut out of these lab barracks.

If you get the right skill books you can craft a gas-powered or electric jackhammer and bust down walls with that.

Or you can in the stable version. I don't know about dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just checked in the latest experimental, yep a jackhammer can cut metal walls, but an acetylene torch cannot.

However an acetylene torch can cut metal doors, but a jackhammer can't!

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

palamedes posted:

What are people using to blast down concrete walls and metal doors in the dev version? Dynamite and fertilizer bombs have been hilariously nerfed. ANFO and RDX charges seem impractical to manufacture and haul. I got lucky and found an artifact that shakes down walls for 150 rads per charge but without it I think I would be shut out of these lab barracks.

Sonic Resonator 4 lyfe.

If you don't have that, explosive shotgun shells work well on reinforced glass, as do 40mm concussion grenades. Regular walls can be bashed down with at least 10 strength and a sledgehammer/homewrecker. Or a well aimed car.

Or you could just burn the place down and sift the ashes for anything valuable :v:

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 12, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been trying the lab challenge. Finally murdered the guard turret by throwing wood at it but now I'm stumped by the doors. Do I have to go back in and try kill zombie scientists til one drops a science id card?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Get a two-by-four, some metal chunks, and a fuckload of string to make a homewrecker, which is a godawful melee weapon that happens to have enough bash damage to let characters break down walls.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

Sonic Resonator 4 lyfe.

If you don't have that, explosive shotgun shells work well on reinforced glass, as do 40mm concussion grenades. Regular walls can be bashed down with at least 10 strength and a sledgehammer/homewrecker. Or a well aimed car.

Or you could just burn the place down and sift the ashes for anything valuable :v:

Yeah I think my artifact is an eldritch sonic resonator. Lookin forward to jamming that CBM into my body! The torch ended up doing the trick and I think it'll hold me over until I resonate. Bank vaults, lab barracks, doctor and cop lockups, acetylene solves it all.

And I've found a new favorite gun: sawed off Saiga with replacement furniture and nothing else. It doesn't need to be fancy since it's practically a melee weapon and the low weight owns since it hasn't left my inventory for about a year.

President Ark posted:

Get a two-by-four, some metal chunks, and a fuckload of string to make a homewrecker, which is a godawful melee weapon that happens to have enough bash damage to let characters break down walls.

In the dev versions labs have concrete walls that you can't smash down with a homewrecker. This comes from sad experience. I'd also like to know if there's a way out of the lab aside from ID card or finding a teleporter.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well, as said explosives are a complete waste of time in the latest builds. Dynamite can occasionally destroy concrete walls, but it's very unreliable. A jackhammer, a teleporter or an ID are the only ways I've personally found to get outside. All these can spawn in crate rooms, so they're a loot priority for me. It'd make sense for scientist zombies to drop IDs, but I've never seen that happen so I don't think they can.

For most of my escapes I've used a teleporter, it's by far the simplest way to get out. You can luck out and find them in a telepad room or in a crate, but you can also pretty reliably scavenge one from a disarmed telepad. Takes time, and you might need royal jelly and/or purifier once you've done, but I've had a pretty good success rate so far.

Once I just straight up found an electric jackhammer in a crate, and managed to kill the turret with match head bombs (it shot me up pretty badly though). Another time I found an Advanced Electronics book and disassembled manhacks until I could craft an electric jackhammer and an EMP grenade (I needed hammering 3 to make the jackhammer though, I gambled on installing an integrated toolset and lucked out. It was pretty much the last straw).

You could probably get out with an electrohack if you find a computer book, never tried that though. I've also read cutting through to sewers is another way out, but I've never seen sewers intersect a single lab yet, so it can't be all that common.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

palamedes posted:

In the dev versions labs have concrete walls that you can't smash down with a homewrecker. This comes from sad experience. I'd also like to know if there's a way out of the lab aside from ID card or finding a teleporter.
Brew up some dynamite.

^edit-- oh, explosives got nerfed again? Electric jackhammer is probably the most reliable if you can't find a teleporter.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

palamedes posted:

I'd also like to know if there's a way out of the lab aside from ID card or finding a teleporter.

If you get lucky you might find a sonic resonator CBM in the lab vault I guess.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You can also acetylyne torch through the doors, but I have no idea if those spawn in labs.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Acetylene torches seem absurdly rare in general, but there is that crate room in labs that seems to spawn a variety tools, so you might get lucky in there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There seems to be only one lab in this entire world.

One turret door is jammed open by a pile of corpses that I keep getting lured to. :downs:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I choose lab scenario very often, and I've come across the concrete wall problem in all the new releases.

The only ways I've found are:

Matchstick bombs, you'll need about 3 or 4 (matches, jars, and strings are all available in labs)
A teleporter - less rare than you'd think, and by far the easiest way
Dynamite - you need about 2 or 3 sticks, now that it's nerfed
And yeah, the sonic resonator CBM, but these are extremely rare anywhere outside of Mines, even rare in labs.

Weirdly enough, I don't know if it's been changed in the latest releases, but recently I've found "Jacqueshammers" many times in labs. No gas though, so this is not an option. Lemme know if you guys have discovered other ways besides the ones I know of though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What do you do with the teleporters, do you just have to start with high traps?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

SynthOrange posted:

That's one way to get them, yes, disassembling a teleporter trap. But you can also find just plain teleporters in those crate rooms. Fairly often, too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh neat. Found one. And the stairs up!

Now to turn it on and.... I'm in a room right in front of a turret. RIP.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
The good thing about the teleporter is that it takes exactly 0 action points, so you can spam it as much as you want, as long as you don't move or anything, nothing else can attack until you're where you want to be. Watch out for teleporter sickness though... it's not good. Keep a royal jelly with you to cure it

Man, I love this game. I must have put more hours into this game than any of the stuff I've payed money for on steam.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I went into a mine and didn't find much, except for an enormous wave of green poison that kept expanding while I was mining, with me barely making it out. Is this common?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I went into a mine and didn't find much, except for an enormous wave of green poison that kept expanding while I was mining, with me barely making it out. Is this common?

Yup. Miners die instantly without gas masks, right? So realistic.

There is a down staircase somewhere hidden in the clouds.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Using the teleport just got me shot dead. :smith:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

What level of construction and/or book recipe do you need to make a fermentation vat?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

queserasera posted:

What level of construction and/or book recipe do you need to make a fermentation vat?

http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/construction/view/9226

Looks like 2 construction and some simple tools. And you have to be on dev, not stable release.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

I never put skills on my characters. You can disarm them with 0 traps if you're lucky. Better to level trapping to 1 by making nailboard traps first though, and sometimes you can find a trapping skill book in one of the bunk rooms. High dexterity and perception helps too, so smoke a cigarette and take some stims before you try, you can find those lying around all over labs.

Just keep trying to disarm them until you get it. The very worst that can happen is you get teleported into a wall, but that's an extreme edge case. Second worst is you pop out in front of a turret, so it's best to try it on a telepad that isn't near one of those at first. Any parasites and mutations you pick up can be cured with royal jelly and purifier.

Sometimes you get it on the first few goes, sometimes you get it after several dozen. And sometimes you'll destroy the teleporter when you disassemble the trap and have to go find another. But you do get it eventually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found a spare teleporter in one of those teleporter test rooms. :stare:

Then outside I found a military truck, which I used to ram a hole into the lab. There's that problem solved.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SynthOrange posted:

I found a spare teleporter in one of those teleporter test rooms. :stare:

Then outside I found a military truck, which I used to ram a hole into the lab. There's that problem solved.

There is literately nothing in this game that can't be solved by throwing a heavy vehicle at it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh what the gently caress. I busted out of the lab with a str 20 lab monster. Stole a car and wandered off to the woods to heal up.

I sleep to the next day and now my stats are flat 8s across the board. What's going on?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh what the gently caress. I busted out of the lab with a str 20 lab monster. Stole a car and wandered off to the woods to heal up.

I sleep to the next day and now my stats are flat 8s across the board. What's going on?

Did you turn on the mod that makes your stats scale off your skills?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure I disabled that then generated a new world.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Had my first pretty successful run of this this weekend.

Rolled a high dexterity and perception character, gathered a bunch of rocks, trained to level 1 throwing, and stormed a mansion. I got lucky and there were no special zombies, so I got to use a bunch zombie's heads for target practice. By the time I had cleared the place out, I had 8 throwing, some knives, and a nice stash of food. I kept exploring around, grabbing what I could find until I found a boarded up farmhouse. I filled up a bunch of water, and started producing clean water. Found some lawn darts, which I was chucking at woodland creatures for meat. I thought I'd probably stick around for a good bit. I wake up the next day, and find an armed soldier in the woods. She tells me to clear out. I start walking up, and she starts shooting at me. I run until she's out of sight, and walk home to disinfect my wound. I walk out of the house through the backdoor, and she's RIGHT THERE, waiting for me. Shot me dead.

I tried chucking lawn darts at her head, but apparently helmets stop the whole throwing thing in its tracks. Either way, a fun, successful run. I might do throwing again later, it seemed alright. But I'm not taking insomniac again. Not being able to sleep off nights has been pretty annoying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Take Heavy Sleeper instead, it is practically a perk.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Mystery Machine posted:

Had my first pretty successful run of this this weekend.

Rolled a high dexterity and perception character, gathered a bunch of rocks, trained to level 1 throwing, and stormed a mansion. I got lucky and there were no special zombies, so I got to use a bunch zombie's heads for target practice. By the time I had cleared the place out, I had 8 throwing, some knives, and a nice stash of food. I kept exploring around, grabbing what I could find until I found a boarded up farmhouse. I filled up a bunch of water, and started producing clean water. Found some lawn darts, which I was chucking at woodland creatures for meat. I thought I'd probably stick around for a good bit. I wake up the next day, and find an armed soldier in the woods. She tells me to clear out. I start walking up, and she starts shooting at me. I run until she's out of sight, and walk home to disinfect my wound. I walk out of the house through the backdoor, and she's RIGHT THERE, waiting for me. Shot me dead.

I tried chucking lawn darts at her head, but apparently helmets stop the whole throwing thing in its tracks. Either way, a fun, successful run. I might do throwing again later, it seemed alright. But I'm not taking insomniac again. Not being able to sleep off nights has been pretty annoying.

NPCs are bad and not even halfway done yet, probably ought to just turn them off

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It dawns on me that between the mutagens, martial arts and hodgepodge road machines covered in lasers every character I make that lasts a year ends up turning into an off brand TMNT action figure.

I think I need some kind of ninja enemies mod now. A pizza cannon would also be acceptable.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 13, 2015

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Kayle7 posted:

NPCs are bad and not even halfway done yet, probably ought to just turn them off

While I don't mind the death, I might do that. None of the NPCs I've interacted with have meaningfully added to the fun of the game in any way other than contributing to *~MY IMMERSION~*. On that note, most people play on static, right? The idea of zombies trying to siege my home is cool, but if it's over the top, that probably doesn't sound fun. On the other hand, the safe period at the start does sound enticing. Does checking the wandering zombies option help with the "occasionally get attacked" thing? Does static spawn affect wildlife? Will I keep getting things to hunt no matter what mode I select?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wandering spawns are a bit iffy at the moment.

You'll either:

a) end up being completely ignored, apart from the odd single zombie wandering on by, so you might as well play with them off
b) get mobbed immediately by thousands of the bastards and followed to the ends of the earth and your untimely death as a hulk's chew toy on day 2.

I know, it sounds fun! But there's no way to distract or otherwise avoid horde attention at the moment, since AFAIK the only things that attract them happen inside the reality bubble... and that follows you around by definition.

It's one of those features that'll be great when it's done. The current implementation is just a hacky proof of concept at the moment, and as far as I'm aware the contributor who coded it isn't around any more.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Like many things in DDA, it's been shoehorned in in a half busted state after which the original creator disappears forever. I prefer static even to the theoritical dynamic anyways, being able to at least kind of clear places out is nice and it encourages you to make a murdercar and hit up other towns.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Well that was somber.

Random NPC came in said nothing and and burned me and my entire base down with a flamer thrower.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

there was probably a shrew on your carpet

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's probably something wrong with my install since I tried installing over. Is there a way to upgrade worlds to newer builds, or activate/deactivate mods on a world in progress?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Some people just want to see the world burn.

NPCs are okay but if you could convince neutrals that rifling through your piles of scavenged items is not a *nice* thing, I'd be much happier about them showing up semi-randomly in the reality bubble. Or if they weren't so bloody accurate with their shotguns and semi-autos. Or you could set their spawn rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Some people just want to see the world burn.

NPCs are okay but if you could convince neutrals that rifling through your piles of scavenged items is not a *nice* thing, I'd be much happier about them showing up semi-randomly in the reality bubble. Or if they weren't so bloody accurate with their shotguns and semi-autos. Or you could set their spawn rate.

Well strictly speaking I think there is a npc spawn rate thing in world creation settings. Fiddling with it in any fashion seems to make them vanishingly rare or 6 spawn around the house I spent the night in without much of a middle ground though.