Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In the union area it looks like we have room for one more union, and underneath that it says we have 23 units out of a max 50. We can recruit another 27 units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

In the union area it looks like we have room for one more union, and underneath that it says we have 23 units out of a max 50. We can recruit another 27 units?

That's the spot for a guest union. You can look at their stats when they're in the party from that screen. We can recruit another 27 units, but they'll just be sitting on the bench. Our bench will become quite crowded before the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, how the heck can you win that battle in half the time? I guess this is like, what order you take on these sidequests in?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Glazius posted:

Wow, how the heck can you win that battle in half the time? I guess this is like, what order you take on these sidequests in?

By grinding enough to get two arcana per turn.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So what's the point of Mystic arts? It seems like physical does waaaayyyy more damage than even Arcanas when they pop up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well I think Stabby has been getting entirely too lucky with Physical art sparking, maybe since he uses so many Physical unions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Have Dave hold position so he can get the Gae Bolg command, using special attacks and arcanas, and going for the boss and not the minions.

After I clean up some of the 2 dozen recordings I made while grinding, I'll give it a shot and see if I can get it done in under 10 turns. I'll fight a few battles until Jager and Irina unlock their specials, then try it out. I will say that I was NOT going for speed, I was trying to maximize art usage.

(Don't worry about the 2 dozen figure, you won't see any of that, just a few special battles and an art montage.)

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So what's the point of Mystic arts? It seems like physical does waaaayyyy more damage than even Arcanas when they pop up.

Combat Arts target one unit. Arcanas target the entire battlefield and can wipe multiple unions at once. Arcanas are excellent at wiping out battlefields, less so at single, tough targets. I'll try and use Arcanas more to demonstrate them better. The big obstacle to that is that you need to get your Mystics high enough.

Right now, only David's arts have advanced far enough to use any. To help, I'll need to pick up party members who start out with have a high enough base rank. Paris and Rush can be trained to use Fatal Eclipse fairly easily. I'll need to pick up some new party members to quickly get the Hex and Invocations arts. Even so, it takes a long time to get an art from IV to V. I only get a second person able to use Blackout in the next update, and that's the easiest one.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well I think Stabby has been getting entirely too lucky with Physical art sparking, maybe since he uses so many Physical unions.

Mystic arts never spark mid-battle, only at the end of a battle is there a Mystic Chance. Having lots of Physical unions is good because the toughest enemies are single enemies, and mystics are better against groups.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 3, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the game has the capacity to handle 8 Player Unions. So you could use the trainer to give yourself 8 Player unions and 40 Leader limit to deploy everyone. This would ultimately be a problem though as Rush can summon the Cyclopse, which would push it to 9. As would a Guest union.

So the best limit is 7/35 If you want to mess around. I find that fun. You'd be surprised how many fights are still super challenging, and how much are worse due to AoE attacks and having more targets in a union.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Onmi posted:

So the game has the capacity to handle 8 Player Unions. So you could use the trainer to give yourself 8 Player unions and 40 Leader limit to deploy everyone. This would ultimately be a problem though as Rush can summon the Cyclopse, which would push it to 9. As would a Guest union.

So the best limit is 7/35 If you want to mess around. I find that fun. You'd be surprised how many fights are still super challenging, and how much are worse due to AoE attacks and having more targets in a union.

That seems like it would slow things down unnecessarily, and the battles in this are slow enough as it is. Personally, I liked using 5 full unions. There are only about 25 good characters anyway, though it seems like I used a bunch of physical characters as mages and vice versa.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Serious Frolicking posted:

That seems like it would slow things down unnecessarily, and the battles in this are slow enough as it is. Personally, I liked using 5 full unions. There are only about 25 good characters anyway, though it seems like I used a bunch of physical characters as mages and vice versa.

It definitly makes it so using Turbo Mode and not bothering to go for critical strikes is pretty much the only way to not go insane.

On the other hand it looks amazing to see the battlefield so full

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
I wish more RPGs did this style of combat. Suikoden could benefit from being able to use more than 6 characters out of 108. And since you're always fighting wars in those games in fits as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

What a complete waste of my time!

Music: The Known World

Today, we aren’t doing any sidequests or really anything of too much interest. Instead, it’s time for another round of component hunting. Oh boy!!! (I picked this Allan quote as the chapter title for a reason.)

I had intended to do this before the end of Disc 1, but decided to skip it for being unnecessary. But I’m tired of people complaining about needing components. This won’t stop it of course, but at least they’ll start complaining about wanting different ones.

A lot of components drop from monsters, so we’ll need to hunt them down. To that end, I’m going to bench Rush and Blocter, because they don’t need the art XP. Glenys’s Strength is lagging behind, so she’ll pick up the slack. I’m bringing in Rhagoh, because he still has a quest to do later, and Roberto, because he can get a special item later on. Loki has taken the lead of the Mystic union to boost his art XP (leaders get priority).

This update will have no real story, and will be a lot of short, disjointed visits to various places.

- Video: Rare Enemy: Bandit (Mojcado)

I came to Mojcado Castle in Balterossa because Wild Raptors which can be found here have a chance to drop the Raptor Hide Caedmon is bugging me for. Spoiler alert, they didn’t drop any.

While here, I also went to dig up another material, and found this rare Bandit spawn. Bandits are like rare monsters. They’re respawnable, but unlike monsters, they can drop G and equipment. The Jhana are here because someone wants Jhana Rawhide and I’m trying to get some to drop.

This is a rare occasion of a battle I ran on Turbo, because it was easy.

About time, Emmy. I won’t be including many of these images because a lot of the time I recorded video of fights, but reloaded afterwards, so I technically never ended up doing them. I’ll do a recap at the end of what new arts stuck.

We can do this! Let’s go!

I got some good stuff from the bandit. Not pictured, 15,880 G. That pays more than a lot of our sidequests. I also reached BR 34 from this fight.

Try something new!
Alright. Hopefully it will provide a good addition to our repertoire.

Hexes… Think that stuff’s worth looking into?
Sure! Try something new.
Okay. Dunno if it’ll be worth anything, but I’ll give it a shot.

I wandered into Mojcado castle looking for components, and reached BR 34. That means David can learn Remedies, which are good, but less so since David’s spent time with Herbs. Still, I’ll probably leave them on. Nora can also learn Hexes, which is pretty useful as well.

Hey! You know what would be super-special awesome? War Dragon Rawhide! Let’s find some!
Yeah, let’s go.
Awesome-possum! So let’s saddle up!

Hey, greenhorn. You ever heard of Albic Hide? I bet you would if you came with me to find some.
Okay, sure.
Then come on.

Rush, I have need of a Raptor Hide.

YES YES YES ALRIGHT ALREADY. I’ll go after what Caedmon wants first because he’s been after it for a while, meaning he’ll probably want another upgrade after.

War Dragon Rawhide drops from Abelisks and their upgraded cousins, Noble Abelisks. They’re full-on Dragons, but not nearly as tough as the Rare/Boss Dragons we’ve fought before. Albic Hide is stripped from Albic Qsiti in Elysion’s Catacombs. But Raptor Hide is a split from captured King Raptors. The easiest way to find them is in the Ivory Peaks.

There, killed, captured, and split a couple King Raptors so Caedmon could get his stuff.

Oh, so that Charm of Gliding you got? You’re gonna let me borrow it, right?
Sure, no prob.
Props, man. That’s chill.

Rush, I have need of a Necrodragon Bone. Have we the time to obtain one?
Sure, no prob.
Thank you. Then, let’s not waste any time.

Rush, I have need of a Ruby Crystal. Have we the time to obtain one?
Yeah, let’s go.
You have my gratitude. Let us be off.

The Charm of Gliding is a neat accessory that increases Max and Initial AP by 15%, letting you use more powerful arts sooner. The thing David wants drops from specific Wyvern-type enemies. Paris wants an item, but it’s of low priority, as there’s no way to get him all three items without unlocking some areas via a sidequest.

- Video: Rare Monster Chua

After this, I went to Crookfen to look for something for David which drops from a Wyvern-type enemy. Instead, I found a rare.

And this one reason why I don’t run every battle on Turbo.

I never really recovered, and after this, the Chua died, but only two unions got XP, so I did the fight again.

After a few battles fighting in the active party, Jager learns Beowulf. It’s a single-target attack that does heavy damage. Jager’s special arts are one of the big reasons to use him.

Music: Into the Depths

Some people want Vulture stuff, and Blackdale is the place with the wimpiest enemies that drop it. It’s also changed since Disc 1. Look to the right of the map.

Where there used to be a rockslide barring the way, now it’s gone and there’s more cave back here, including a map transition.

There’s a nearby digging spot which mostly produces nothing at all, but sometimes grudgingly coughs up some Divine Dragonyte ore. That makes it relatively hassle-free to get, given the low travel time. Unfortunately, it also occasionally sprays Mr. Diggs with something that lowers his dig count by 1. That treasure chest has some G in it.

There’s a new section of Blackdale to explore. It’s not that big, and mostly serves as a shortcut to the bottom of Blackdale, letting you bypass those long winding, narrow tunnels.

learned Moonset!

The other point of interest in this tunnel is a treasure chest containing the Simarrionne Remnant. It has no active function, but can be worn as an accessory with unimpressive-looking stats. A party member we haven’t got yet requests it. Coincidentally, they too, are unimpressive.

The Obsidian Trail rejoins the Sapphire Pit. A treasure chest with some customization components is near the end.

Drop down this steep slope and you end up just outside the entrance to the Cuspate Post.

The Schiavona is still here. But not for too much longer. Also still here is a rare monster, the Firtoad. :black101:

- Video: Rare Monster Firtoad

Oh, it’s so cute!
Keep them off balance and crush them!

Sure, let’s go.
Excellent. Then, let’s not waste any time.

See that pink text? That means it’s a rare component. Violet is perhaps one of the most obnoxious party members to gather components for. Each and every upgrade she wants has at least one component which requires you to first get a captured monster as a drop, and then split that monster into components. Those components tend to have a low chance to appear when you split the monster.

Spiritlords only appear in the Vale of the Gods, the Great Sand Sea, and Heroic Ramparts, and two of those places require a lot of walking, plus they usually only come in groups of 1. You need to land a 30% chance to CAPTURE them, and THEN you need to get a lucky 5% chance to find the Concealed Spiritlord Hord if you split the captured monster, so that's a 1.5% chance to get the item per monster.

At the time of this writing, I haven’t gotten it yet. I’ve had to start writing this update so I can snag the images and video I need so I can delete the excess videos and free up some HD space.

Rush, you know Grand Beetle Husk, right? Well, I was hoping maybe we could go find some if it wasn’t too much trouble…
Yeah, let’s go.
Really? Thank you so much. Let’s go, alright?

Actually, it IS a lot of trouble. The best/only place we can get that component is from Grand Beetles and Millilegs in the Catacombs. That’s it. Thankfully, it’s a common drop.

Just one which requires a truly obnoxious walk to get. It’s like an additional punishment just for using Rhagoh.

Rush, you ever heard of Anthrovore Bulb? I was hoping you’d come with me to look for some.
Alrighty!
It’s appreciated.

Anthrovore Bulb can be found in several places, but Aveclyff is one of the better spots, considering it has other components we want as well.

Hey! You know what would be super-special awesome? War Dragon Rawhide! Let’s find some!
Yeah, let’s go.
Awesome-possum! So let’s saddle up!

Hey, greenhorn. You ever heard of Albic Hide? I bet you would if you came with me to find some.
Okay, sure.
Then come on.

Rush, I have need of a Ruby Crystal. Have we the time to obtain one?
Yeah, let’s go.
You have my gratitude. Let us be off.

You don’t have déjà vu, it’s just my party members reminding us again what they want.

Music: Limberlost

learned Spark V!

I once again returned to Crookfen to change the spawns for more components, and Nora was surprisingly enough, the second person to reach Spark V. So I swapped her in as the leader for Loki just long enough to…

- Video: Arts Montage 1

There we go. Now, some people have been wondering what the point of Arcanas is if they do such crappy damage compared to Combat Arts. The answer is that Mystics and Arcanas are excellent against unions and the entire battlefield. They seem to do a lot more damage if there are multiple unions than if there’s just one.

I have been deliberately ignoring opportunities to use them in favor of dragging battles on and getting more art XP for everyone. I’ll try to do less of that. Another issue is that right now, only Nora and David have advanced their arts far enough to be able to trigger an Arcana. But Rush, Irina, and two new party members I intend to grab very soon can learn some Arcanas right away, if I set up the conditions properly for them. I’ll do that soon.

That video is a montage of interesting new arts learned while grinding.

Emmy! Use Hundred Flowers!

The high-chance to dodge before a unique art gets performed is the main saving grace for critical-health-only arts. Another thing to note about them is that as long as you’ve triggered the art, it’ll still go off even if you’re healed to full before it goes off.

Weakling!

23k damage, which is okay, but not spectacular compared to some of the higher-level normal arts and combos, which don’t, ya know, require you to be ALMOST DEAD before you can use them.

You do?
I had a sister as well-my twin, Kate. She was completely opposite to me in personality... She died some years ago, though...

Thanks for the input, Rhagoh. See you in another 5 visits to Celapaleis. 10 more before the sidequest. (Okay I’m seriously going to have to walk in and out of town a bunch.)

I had a buttload of Guild Tasks to turn in at Celapaleis’ Sword of Three Realms guild. A bunch of them re-unlocked some magazines which I already unlocked on the previous playthrough. As much as I’ve bitched about searching for components for my party members now, it’s SO much worse if you need to first complete some unknown guild task to get a magazine to unlock a drop in the first place.

Getting the Eye of the Demon unlocks a special quest. What is it? You’ll find out later. For now, to Elysion.

Music: Flamedrop

We need some Albic qsiti materials, and while I’m here, I might as well pick up that thing for Rhagoh.

This means of course walking through this slow room full of aggressive albics.

What a complete waste of my time!

I couldn’t think of a more fitting title for this update than that.

Scattered Petals is the ultimate Dual-Two-Handed Combat Art. It’s a three-hit combo for a lot of damage. Well, this is a poor example because this guy resists physicals. It only did 6844 damage. Anyway, we finally got the parts Rhagoh wants, and we hit BR 35.

This stupid aggressive frog is between me and the World Map Teleporter, but I’m not having any of that. Timeshift has more uses than fighting.

Anyway, Violet, Emma and Darien remind me that they want crap… again

Rush, do we have time to do some fighting at the nearest battlefield? My usual training doesn’t feel like it was enough today…
Sounds like a plan.
Ho ho ho! This should be fun!

Master Sykes, would you accompany me to the nearest battlefield? Even at this age, it is poor form to shirk one’s training.
Yeah, let’s go!
I appreciate your indulgence. Let us go at once.

Here we can find some ores, Emmy can get her Anthrovore Bulb, and Rhagoh can get started on the next set of bits he wants.

This game does not skimp on the model details, even though they could totally get away with it. You can even see a glint of reflected light in her eye. (Well, at least you could going frame-by-frame in the video, and before I resized it down.)

Moonset is the second-strongest Power Grip Art for Katana. It’s a charge into a swift slash describing about a 270 degree arc.

Like Jager, Irina automatically learns her first unique art after a few battles. Irina starts out with very high INT, and her version of Omnistrike differs from Rush’s in a couple of ways. First, Irina’s Omnistrike can only be triggered when she’s at critical health, making it much less useful – and that will eventually make Irina much less useful as a Union Leader for a while. Secondly, while it does physical damage, it scales up based on her INT.

Fighting a couple more times here to get parts for Rhagoh pushed me up to BR 36. That means new arts unlock for some people.

Try something new!
A true man isn’t tempted by every new face that crosses his path… And yet there is something to be said for… fresh experiences.

Should I learn Traps? Or continue to refine what I already know? What do you think, Rush?
Try something new!
As you say, it should be helpful knowledge.

The general guideline for Lotions is that they’re only worth using if the person starts out with them at Eye Cream or higher. This goes double the farther in the game you get. All the instances of Refresh in the party means that Gabriel starting out with Antivenin is going to do nothing even if I don’t disable it.

Like lotions, traps are okay… if you start out with some already learned. Their best parts are the Morale affecting arts, but you need to get past Stun Trap and Land Mine first. Caedmon is a monster with physical attacks, so why would I have him waste time with Traps?

Violet complains about her Concealed Spiritlord Horn again. Emmy wants another item, but I haven’t taken her to town yet to finalize her upgrade. Darien wants his thing. Gaou wants Superior Cotton, which is an easy find in the Heroic Ramparts. Paris wants his Ruby Crystal.

Sure enough, as soon as I enter town, Emmy upgrades her stuff. A LOT of people want Necrotic Metal, but the only place to get it is unavailable until nearly the end of the game. This means that Emmy is now as upgraded as I can get her for a long time, and I won’t have to worry about anyone who wants Necrotic Metal anymore.

Music: Swirling Sands

Not EVERY crafting component is a pain to get. Some are easy.

- Video: Rare Monster Jarama

Nearby, I find this rare Raptor. All the shellflies I brought into the fight are me attempting to capture a Giant Shellfly to split it. I didn’t realize at the time that only the Giant Shellflies in Darken Forest are possible to capture, so I was just adding enemies to the fight for no good reason.

Caedmon finishes it off. This three-hit Scattered Petals delivers 23k damage. Anyway, while we’re here, let’s wander around and take in the sights. La de dah de dah…

- Special Mission Video: Jhana Royals

Red question marks where the name would be? That’s strange. I’ve never seen anything like this before…

Music: Clash of Opposites

Extra Mission: Defeat the Jhana Royals!

Huh… So we’re fighting 4 Rare Jhana groups at once, with more reinforcements in the wings. Well, they’re just Jhana. How tough could they be?

I ain’t ready to die…

Reinforcements?!

Forgive us! We don’t want to fight!

:allears: Oh, Rhagoh. But uh, he’s completely correct.

Get up! We’ve got to win this!

We have the HP to barely survive the first attack of three from one union.

We continue to fight!

Brave words, Glenys… but futile.

So what was that? The Xbox version of the game got some DLC to add new challenges – special boss encounters. This was one of them. When the PC version was made, all that DLC was rolled up and added into the main game.

Once the conditions for unlocking them have been met, a mysteriously vague guild task appears. It’s up to you to search it out (or just search the wiki). As bonus bosses, they’re a very tough challenge. My BR 36 butt is nowhere close to being able to handle any of them. There were two that I couldn’t manage to do even with BR 103.

Maybe towards the late game I can do some of them, but for now I just haven’t got anywhere close to the HP needed to handle these fights. Most of them will probably be done in post-game updates after I finish the story. I’ll beat the ones I can, and show off at least the ones I can’t.

But for now, back to hunting Spiritlords and Abelisks.

Jager! Finish this with Beowulf!

Get ready! I’m ‘bout to OWN you!

Beowulf is a short, swift charge through the enemy which is very powerful. Thankfully it only requires high union morale, and not the critical-health crap.

I have to fight a couple of these to get components for both Paris and Darien, but that should make Darien shut up for a while at least. Thankfully, both normal and Noble Abelisks drop the Rawhide. They’re not too tough.

I don’t want to…

That’s pretty powerful. It’s actually stronger than Rush’s, but that’s because Irina’s is Int-dependent, and her Int is 20 points higher than either of Rush’s Int or Str.

Hi, Rush. So I was wondering if I should learn Psionics
Try something new!
You think? Okay, I’ll give it a go… Hopefully it’ll make me stronger!

Okay, that’s enough for now. Back to sidequesting – but not for long, we’ll be getting some more main plot soon, and then we’ll do a couple more cool optional things. I’ll also be attempting to force-learn some more Arcanas. Once I pick up two new party members, I should have all the pieces I need to learn all but one of the Arcana’s.

New Arts Summary

class changed to Master Hunter!
learned Dragon’s Tail!
class changed to Lordly Cavalier!
class changed to Expert Cavalier!
learned:
  • Nimble Switchback II!
  • Moonset!
class changed to Master Mysticknight!
learned:
  • Cutting Lunge!
  • Restore!
class changed to Legendary Healer!
class changed to Master Marauder!
learned Poison Gas III!
class changed to Expert Mysticknight!
learned:
  • Spark V!
  • Blackout!
learned Beowulf!
class changed to Legendary Scout!
class changed to Expert Paladin!
class changed to Lordly Cavalier!
learned:
  • Nimble Devil’s Due III!
  • Nimble Bladedancer II!
  • Revitalize III!
learned:
  • Nimble Flash Strike IV!
  • Scattered Petals!
  • Stun Trap!
class changed to Master Scout!
class changed to Lordly Scout!
learned:
  • Nimble Knee Splitter IV!
  • Restorative Tincture!
  • Antivenin!
learned:
  • Nimble Thunderclap II!
  • Revitalize III!
  • Eye Cream III!
  • Land Mine III!
  • Omnistrike!
class changed to Legendary Healer!
learned Poison Gas!
class changed to Lordly Marksman!
learned Bluff!
class changed to Bard!

I put Glenys in the lead to boost her flagging stats, and that seems to have helped, as her STR jumped 6 points. Her Speed and Int fell slightly, when she switched from Ranger to Cavalier and was no longer getting the +10% and +8% bonuses. She’s still a bit behind, but not as much as she was before, and she’ll be seeing a good deal more use as a party lead in her next sidequest.

Of all the people who participated, Torgal and Allan were the only ones who didn’t change class or learn a new art. Torgal was benched for half the time (the other half it was Blocter), but I don’t know what Allan’s excuse is.

Rare Enemy: Bandit (Mojcado)
Rare Monster Chua
Rare Monster Firtoad
Rare Monster Jarama
Special Mission: Jhana Royals
Arts Montage 1

About time that’s over and done with.

Next Time: Enough of this weirdo.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And you're supposed to do this throughout the whole game? :psyduck:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

And you're supposed to do this throughout the whole game? :psyduck:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

A lot of ingredients can be gotten through normal play, whether through fighting or harvesting. That's good if that's the thing your party member wants right now. But the problem is that items in your inventory can never go to party members, so if you grab all those Spiny Landworm Legs for 4 party members now, with 80 in reserve, and then two hours later, a party member decides that NOW they need Spiny Landworm Leg, you can't give them any of the 80 you have. (I suspect this is to prevent you from carrying over ingredients for ultimate weapons in a NG+.)

You have no recourse but to go get some more. So doing harvesting in big chunks is better than lots of smaller chunks. Occasionally, party members will upgrade their stuff themselves, but I (read: the wiki) have no idea what BR that happens at on for the PC version, and the XBox numbers put that at about once every 10 BR or so, so if you wait around long enough, party members will upgrade, but a lot slower than what you could give them. At about BR 70 or so, the rate at which party members will upgrade increases to once every 5 BR, but we're only approaching BR 40.

There's lots obnoxious about the upgrade system. You don't know exactly how many things a party member wants unless they have "And that's the whole set" text - and some of those are vague. If they have multiple things, you can't know if they have enough unless they pop up a "can we find X" message. If that happens, only worry about that one item and don't go looking for the other things until after you find X.

Yeah, I really hate the upgrade system in this game.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You don't know exactly how many things a party member wants unless they have "And that's the whole set" text - and some of those are vague. If they have multiple things, you can't know if they have enough unless they pop up a "can we find X" message. If that happens, only worry about that one item and don't go looking for the other things until after you find X.

Yeah, I really hate the upgrade system in this game.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying here, there's a screen in the menu that tells you exactly how many of which items any given unit wants at any given time. That doesn't make hunting for bear asses any less of a pain, but the information is there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Wonderslug posted:

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying here, there's a screen in the menu that tells you exactly how many of which items any given unit wants at any given time. That doesn't make hunting for bear asses any less of a pain, but the information is there.

Nope, that shows how many they HAVE now. Not how many they want. See below.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Oh, derp. That'll teach me to go from memory.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

And that right there is what keeps me from really wanting to replay this even though I loved it outside of rare monster hunts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This is why I mod it so I can equip party members myself. you can keep bugging me all you want about your rare material just take your sword and LIKE IT.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Jesus Stabbey that last update looked painful. I remember at the very beginning of the LP you talked about how your BR changes various battles and things throughout the game, so does a big grind session like this where you gain a bunch of BR mean that fights are going to be harder next update?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I will be making some changes to the party lineup and art usage soon.

Gabriel has the stats to get into the Assassin class, but his 1H arts aren't developed enough, so I'll be disabling his weaker ones until he gets into Assassin. Caedmon has the stats to get into the Ataraxian class, but his herbs have made him too unbalanced and he's become a scout - Mystics are no longer significant enough for him. Atraxian is a higher tier, so I can get him out of Scout, but I'll have to train his Mystics, so he'll be going back to heavy Invocations usage temporarily. His STR:INT ratio is very high, so I'm not worried about weakening him by doing that. (I said it would weaken Blocter, but that's not quite correct. Actually, there are no classes that upgrade from Scout that Blocter could get into at all.)

I'll be picking up some new party members shortly after I do their sidequests, and then I'll be training some people in Arcanas - partly to just show them off, partly because certain union leaders could make use of them.

Canopus250 posted:

And that right there is what keeps me from really wanting to replay this even though I loved it outside of rare monster hunts.

Maybe a video of me owning it up with lots of Arcanas in one fight will change your mind. :getin:

mmj posted:

Jesus Stabbey that last update looked painful. I remember at the very beginning of the LP you talked about how your BR changes various battles and things throughout the game, so does a big grind session like this where you gain a bunch of BR mean that fights are going to be harder next update?

The dread of doing the grinding for that update was one reasons why it took a while to get chapters 51 and 52 posted.

The answer is that no, the fights aren't going to be harder. I am somewhat underleveled. However, the next sidequest I gain another 3 BR, which puts me at about where the game expects me to be. That still won't make things harder, in fact it'll probably make them easier, because when your relative BR is too low, you start out at low morale. The PC version is pretty generous and unless you've been a total screw-up with your unions and arts progression, you'll do just fine. Heck, even if you screw up you'll probably be fine - see my first run of the game.

As long as you don't grind against weak enemies a lot, you should be just fine.

Poll time! This game has a lot of Rare Monsters... but a lot of the time, they fights just don't really seem that interesting, even to me. I've been including video of all of them up until now, but I think that's time to change that. I'll still show videos of challenging or interesting fights, but I think showing all of them is just wasting time and energy. But if people are interested, I can keep doing them. This poll is really just a check to make sure that there isn't a big demand for all the rare monsters in video.
Poll: Should I just stop posting videos of unexciting fights with rare monsters?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 7, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

As long as you don't grind against weak enemies a lot, you should be just fine.

There's a lovely quote for the game. "It's not that it punishes grinding. It just punishes stupid grinding." Doing the JRPG thing of grinding out the early enemies for a level boost will be a deterrent rather than a help. but smartly picking your fights to maximize arts usage will leave you very powerful. I think they really understood that most players would be lost on playthrough one. Because Playthrough 2 you'll have a formation which reduces all offensive stats to 0 and boosts defensive. In short, making it so you fight longer and survive longer. Meaning more Art usage.

And post videos if you think the fight was fun to play/watch.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Post a video if in the description you can say "You should watch this because..." and have a reasonable end to that sentence.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many people are you upgrading for now? 20?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How big of a disadvantage would you be putting yourself into by not grinding those materials/not upgrading your allies' weapons? Would it make the game much harder and it expects you to do it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Enough of this weirdo

Our next sidequest takes us to Melphina for the first time on “Disc 2”. New city, new conversations.

Seems there’s a lot of that going around.
Mistress Marsha of the Forest Maidens is praying and doing all that she can, but it doesn't look good... Isn't there anything anyone can do!?

Precocious Child: Look at this flower garden. The soil has lost its moisture. Dry soil means the flowers aren't going to bloom to full. And Meister Olebeag's mysterious illness is getting worse as the days go by... This garden represents this town's current condition, don't you think? Oh, er, maybe you're not old enough to understand this yet...

Sincere Forest Maiden: But something's been bothering me. I've been praying to the Blue Elf myself and something feels... different. As if there's a wall around it. I hope my prayers are reaching it safely...

With Meister Olebeag ill, we're in extra danger of being assaulted by monsters or even other towns. So, we of the Order of Melphina have stepped up our patrols... Nothing bad's going to happen on our watch!

The fiends after the Blue Elf were able to escape. We chased them into the Numor Mines, but once there, they skittered into the shadows like the rats they are. Ooh, to think they roam free…

Meister Olebeag is in a terrible state... I'm very worried. There’s a strange power that surrounds Meister Olebeag. It feels heavy and strange and… wrong. Who could be behind this?

Hrm... Oh...Master Sykes. I did no notice you there. My apologies.
Worried about your boss?
Of late, I've found myself heavily pondering the life I have led, and questioning the choices I have made...
Meister Olebeag... Was that there were a way I might ease your suffering...

Dr. Sykes is making frequent trips to Athlum Castle lately. What’s that about?
Don’t you know? She’s got a lot of knowledge when it comes to Remnants. She’s probably doing some research.
You know everything!

I was just in Cobalt Plaza, praying to the Blue Elf for Meister Olebeag's quick recovery. That's when I found my soul mate! She had very beautiful eyes, filled with sincerity. I haven't told her how I feel yet. I hope that someday we can devote our lives to each other and protect this town together.

You made such a valiant effort in the great battle on the Malbourge Flatlands! I was there, too. You really impressed me with the way you were handling your sword.
Weren’t you raving about some other people a while ago?
Neo and Leticia? Oh, I'm over that. Watching you on the battlefield, I realized that I don't need a woman - just being a strong warrior is rewarding enough. Thanks for cheering me up!
Uh… okay...

Okay, let’s get onto the sidequest already.

Site?
…What? Why do you wear that ridiculously baffled expression? …Ugh, this WOULD be what I get when I ask for the best…
Uh…
The reason you have come here is to be my assistant. So, as I said, get going to the place you need to be assisting me at! Head to the Yvalock’s Nest. The plants that grow there are the key ingredient in my secret elixir! Yes… with the mere addition of those three ingredients, this soon-to-be panacea of the world’s ills will be complete!

W-wait a minute!
This is not the time to reveal yourself as the idiot you apparently are – this is the time for action! But… I realize not everyone is blessed with as piercingly logical a brain as I. Fine, I will give your poor, taxed mind a minute to catch up.

……………………
There, I’ve waited enough! Now, annoyingly unreliable assistant #1: go forth, and collect the ingredients of my elixir!

Accepted quest: The Assistant

The “refuse” option doesn’t work this time. :allears: “Annoyingly unreliable assistant #1” was a strong contender for chapter title. One problem – we still don’t know what to get.

What’s this? You still don’t have my ingredients? If you don’t hurry and gather them, you’re fired, I tell you! Fired!
What ingredients?
I need 10 drops of Blackrose Nectar, 8 flasks of Parasitic Oil, and 5 Shadowood Seeds. I shouldn’t think it’s too much to remember, even for you. So, hurry up and get them!

This quest has a subtle dick move with those requirements that you won’t learn until completing it.

Some wierdo scientist guy from Melphina somehow conned me into going to Yvalock’s nest to get some “special” materials.

Unlike pretty much every other dungeon-delving sidequest, you aren’t taken to Yvalock’s Nest automatically – you have to go there yourself. That’s because this is a harvesting quest, and you may will need to go in and out multiple times.

Music: Dark Secrets

Yvalock’s Nest – It is said that many, many years ago, a creature known as the Yvalock inhabited this spot. Some refer to it as the Animate Cave.

It doesn’t come across in screenshots, but the walls of this cave pulse with a dim orange glow.

This is a pretty small dungeon. This quest is not so bad on NG+, when you already have full upgrades for Mr. Diggs and 20+ digs to spare, but on a clean run through, you’ll probably have to come back here a few times to harvest enough.

This tunnel dead-ends into glowing orange rocks.

This digging spot has the Parasitic Oil.

The Shadowood Seeds are at the far west.

class changed to Paladin!

Because my Psionics have passed my Remedies, if only barely, Rush has now switched classes to Paladin, like Paris. This was not unexpected, and does not interfere with my progress towards Ninja. That’ll happen once my STR hits 59. I think I’m still 13 points shy, so still quite a way to go. There are other class changes and arts learned, but I do a lot of reloading, so I’m not sure what sticks. See the list at the end.

The Blackrose Nectar is found here. Note that the dead-ends to the right are blocked off with rocks. Well, that’s everything, so back to Melphina!

This is the mild dick move. He asks you for a lot of items… but will only take fewer than that (generally half), letting you get away with harvesting fewer. But you don’t know that the first time.

(I’m not listening.)
Whaaat!? Assistant – are you hiding something from me!? How could you?
Fine, fine, geez.
… This… this is it! This, finally, is the arrangement of ingredients I’ve sought for so long! I have tested the results with my own two lips! Indeed, good medicine tastes bitter.
So what does this for again?
Yes! Yes! With this, even that sweet-mouthed beauty in town will swoon over me! Aha! Aha! Ahahahahaha!

With that, he runs off, leaving you with nothing, not even a change to the quest journal. You need to leave the bar. Celapaleis is nice this time of year. … Okay you back? Good.

Okay, that’s bad, but if the love potion business didn’t make it clear that this “Scientist” is a huge creep, the rest of the sidequest certainly will.

Not even being chewed up by monsters would be as cruel an experience as this… I mean, I- Ergh… Arg!
What’s wrong with you?
… I feel as if I have lost something I can never regain. Take your pittance and leave me, boy. I’ve had enough of males for one day.

Reward: 400G

The scientist guy must have had a real traumatic experience, because he seemed really bummed. I couldn't say anything to cheer him up!

Thus, today I begin the creation of a new formula – a new challenge! A new hope!!! Yes, these shall be the secret ingredients of my new concoction. Got it? So, be off, my ever-revering assistant #1!

He still hasn’t told us what he wants us to fetch. Or he did but I forgot to screenshot it. One of those.

Err… what do you want again?
Gahhh! You still haven’t gotten ANY of the ingredients for my miracle drug? Where’s your lust to work, or at least get paid? From this list, I need 25 drops of Blackrose Nectar, 15 Shadowood Seeds, and 6 Handfuls of Cosmosand. That’s all you need to find! I don’t know how to spell it out for you any more than I already have! So get going!

The scientist guy wants to try another experiment. He asked me to get him more materials for an "even better" concoction.

Inexplicably, the cave has expanded. I think this, along with the disturbing orange pulse is why it’s called the Animate cave. Now, we COULD get some of the ingredients from harvesting the spots we know about already, but that would be inefficient (and boring). There are better spots farther in.

- Video: Rare Monster Yvalmock

Two of the ingredients can be harvested, but the third one, Cosmosand only drops from Yvalmocks. Those are rare monsters positively infesting this place. Yes, there can be multiples of the same kind of rare monster. That’s only for specific cases, though.

I’ve decided to cut back on useless videos. So while I fight a lot of rares in this update, I’m only showing fights which are interesting.

They only have the one attack. It’s not very threatening.

Dragon Tail is a Power Grip – Sword art. It’s a fast spinning slash.

They are not very tough. They are guaranteed to drop a Cosmosand upon death, though.

learned Stealth!

Stealth is allegedly supposed to make the targeted union invisible to enemy unions. The problem with it is that it requires that the Stealth-using union ALWAYS goes first, and if a union which is stealthed attacks a union, that union can attack right back. So Stealth is pretty worthless.

So repeat through this cave, killing Yvalmocks for Cosmosand, and harvesting points for the other components until you have enough.

The only thing of note is that I broke 50k damage on an Omnistrike. I didn’t find enough Cosmosand, so I had to leave and come back. Gaou mentioned wanting some Polished Scale.

The Yvalmocks are part of the secondary monster group. Wait, have I not explained that yet? Each dungeon has two groups – a primary monster group which has some of certain monsters always present, and a second group, of which one is present. Rares are included in the secondary group. So if there are any other rares in the dungeon, like this Gaias Terrapest, there are no Yvalmocks to be found.

You wouldn’t think something that big could jump like that. Anyway, I killed it, and eventually got the last Cosmosand.

Of course, I wasted a bunch of time because you don’t need that many. Don’t be like me. Quest Smart.

(I’m not listening.)
What what? Smirky sneaky assistant #1, are you just taunting me? Because that isn’t very nice!
Alright already, I’m handing.
………
This… this is it! This time, I’ve finally succeeded in creating my ultimate elixir! Not too sweet, not too bitter… less filling, tastes great! In fact, for a moment I was captivated by the overwhelmingly clear flavor.
So what’s it do?
The next-generation elixir the world has been waiting for… My super invisibility potion is almost complete! Wheee-hee hee hee hee!
Uh-oh…

Let’s come back later.

But instead, while I was getting an eyeful, the girls saw me, and certainly didn’t seem happy about it… It was a brutal beatdown!
Sounds well-deserved to me.
I didn’t even do anything wrong! My motives were completely pure! I am a doctor, after all!
Uhhh…
To put it clearly, I have been wounded, both body and soul. It is more than I can stand… literally. Here, take your money, and begone. Just… sometimes, look upon it and think of me…
Reward: 800 G
I’ll probably just spend it all on lunch.

The scientist guy got stomped by some girls he ticked off. I didn't know what to say, so I decided to leave him alone.

But wait, there’s more!

My body as well has returned to its formerly hale and hearty state. For the first time in some time, I have begun work on another miracle potion.
Sounds like a bad idea.
However, I have finally struck upon the method to brew an elixir worthy of being called the ultimate. I need 30 drops of Parasitic Oil, 18 scoops of Cosmosand, and a single Nightblossom Seed.
(So, that’s 15, 9, and 1. Got it.)
With just these few ingredients, I can create a potion that is nothing short of miraculous.
Riiiiight.
So then! Assistant who may one day be almost as fabulous as I #1! I think you know what to do, so go do it!
Er… what was it again?

Do I really need to answer that?
30 drops of Parasitic Oil. 18 scoops of Cosmosand. 1 Nightblossom Seed.

The scientist guy decided to give it one more go. Third time's a charm, right? I really hope he gets what he wants this time...

The third and final cave section has been added to the southwest corner. Nightblossom Seeds have a chance to drop from a Yvalock – not a YvalMock. So all we need to do is find Yvalocks and Yvalmocks and we’ll be good.

Okay that’s not the right rare.

learned Permafrost II!

As I said, we just need to find the right rares, and…

Oh come on!

Somewhere during one of these dungeon crawls, David learned Permafrost II, which lets him upgrade Blackout to Blackout II. It did 14750 damage. Okay, well this was a bust so let’s leave and come back.

Seriously?

By the way, one quick test is that if you see any monster at that spot, any monster at all, then no Yvalocks or Yvalmocks will spawn.

The farthest room has a digging point full of Parasitic Oil, and there’s a chance that digging there will restore Mr.Diggs count to full, which is really handy for this quest.

- Video: Rare Monster Yvalock

Yvalocks are only trivially different otherwise. They don’t have a guaranteed chance to drop the seed, but you only need one anyway.

So enjoy this video of the Gae Bolg, which you haven’t seen for a while.

Look at that. He asked for 18 Cosmosands, but you only NEED 3. What a dick move.

And it worked too, because after all that hunting, my BR has gone from 37 to 40 just from this one quest. Oh well, at least I also learned a lot of arts. My BR is fine, I am at best at the expected BR, I’m not too high. In my previous playthrough I was at about BR 40 at the start of Disc 2.

(Enough of this weirdo.)
Wh-what!? Strangely silent assistant #1… After all we’ve been through, how could you be so cold?
They’re all yours.
…………………………
Ha ha…hahahAHAHAHAH! This is the zenith! I have ascended to empyrean heights! So much so that my heart is racing, my blood is boiling! The simplicity of the components has a certain depth – a rich flavor! It’s taken me to a rose-colored world I could live in forever!
I hate to ask.
The ultimate elixir is within my grasp! And with it, I can transform into a female in the flower of youth…! Urhuhh hurr hurr hurr hurr!!!
Some days it just doesn’t pay to go to the bar.

So leave and come back…

I mean, if an old man turns into an old woman, what’s the use in that? *sob*

The following line has been enhanced with Too Much Information filters for your convenience.

What was supposed to be firm and perky was loose and flabby… What was supposed to be luscious and creamy was dry and wrinkled…
DUDE! OVERSHARE!!
It was terrible… it was worse than terrible! It was perhaps the worst accident to happen in the history of man!
I think you’re overstating things.
Here, I suppose it’s not your fault I am old. Leave me… I have seen too many horrors to find any other duty for you today.
Reward: 1600 G

The scientist guy failed again... I don't think science is the way to go...

You can talk to him one more time.

Now what?
It seems I just don’t have it in my to complete my ultimate elixir… How disappointing… I wallow in the depths of despair.
Too bad, gotta go.
Thus, I have decided to take a trip around the world, to expand my horizons and increase my repertoire. In short, you’re fired.
Oh no. Whatever will I do.
This will be my final gift to you. It’s a rather unwanted byproduct of my previous trials… a failure. I meant to get rid of it with everything else, but I have been too busy. So, as my former assistant, I leave its disposal in your hands.
Uh, sure.
Alright, that’s all I had to say. If ever our paths cross again, we may share a meal. Be sure to bring an attractive companion. Farewell!
Reward: Divine Elixir x1, 6000G.
Divine Elixir – An elixir from the Melphinian scientist. Another failed experiment… or is it? Its use is unknown.

The scientist guy couldn't create anything useful, so he decided to go on a journey in search of more knowledge.

And that’s finally it for this quest. The Divine Elixir is considered a “consumable”, but it can’t be used, because the party is way too smart to put anything that guy made in their mouths.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Expert Paladin!
learned:
  • Revitalize IV!
  • Support!
  • Stealth!
  • Mixed Message!
class changed to Legendary Hunter!
class changed to Legendary Cavalier!
learned Dragon Crush!
class changed to Master Cavalier!
learned Nimble Smash III!
class changed to Lordly Mysticknight!
learned:
  • Permafrost II!
  • Blackout II!
learned:
  • Wind Shear III!
  • Vivification Herb!
class changed to Lordly Marauder!
learned Paralyze Gas!
class changed to Master Mysticknight!
learned Fleche!
class changed to Master Paladin!
class changed to Legendary Cavalier!
learned Nimble Resonance Edge III!
learned Double Slash!
learned:
  • Restore IV!
  • Retreat Flare II!
class changed to Adept Cleric!

You might have noticed a lot of “Legendary” classes. Classes have an internal upgrade system which boost stats. Legendary is the highest rank of internal class – once you get that high, your only options for class improvement are switching to another class.

Video: Rare Monster Yvalmock
Video: Rare Monster Yvalock

Good news: I was worried that I might accidentally overwrite an Important Save Game, so I decided to go ahead and record the bonus quest you get for agreeing with Ophelia on all three Order of Melphina quests. Of course, that meant I had to actually do all of them again (AND re-fight the Nest of Eagles battle). That’ll either be coming before or after the next main plot update.

Poll: In a locked room deep in the Robelia Ruins, there's a stone goddess that brings you together with the “one of your choice.” What type does Rush want to meet?

A. Someone wild and crazy
B. Someone petite and cute
C. Someone energetic and cheerful?
D. Someone dark and mysterious?

Next Time: That’s… the Silver… something-or-others.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Energetic and cheerful

She has to keep up with Rush's protagonist ways! "Go do a thing!" "Yes sir! :downs:"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ugh, this loving quest. Still isn't as bad as the pillers

Crazy and Wild

This is Rush after all, he needs someone crazy enough to keep up with him, who will also keep pushing him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

How many people are you upgrading for now? 20?

Szurumbur posted:

How big of a disadvantage would you be putting yourself into by not grinding those materials/not upgrading your allies' weapons? Would it make the game much harder and it expects you to do it?

I have 23 people in my party, but I’m not worrying about upgrades for some of them. I don’t know how much of a disadvantage I’d be at if I didn’t bother.

The thing is that for MOST components, you can pick those up through the normal course of fighting through sidequests. Also, anything you can harvest directly is pretty pain-free to get (especially with a maxed Mr. Diggs). Each party member tends to want 3 things, but I’m not actually having to hunt for 69 components at once – it’s just ones which are special drops or at hard-to-reach locations which are the problem. Plus, if you keep your party members in sync with their upgrades, you can have whole clusters asking for the same components at once, which also cuts down on the effort needed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
C. Someone energetic and cheerful? With all the violence and illness Rush might need some cheering up.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Energetic and cheerful

She has to keep up with Rush's protagonist ways! "Go do a thing!" "Yes sir! :downs:"

What makes you think this person is female? But yeah, energetic and cheerful seems like a good choice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
A. Crazy and Wild.

Gonna have to be to go up against the Conqueror!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This quest defeated me. I quit on the second phase, without ever realizing he was lying about the quantities.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

That’s… the Silver… something-or-others.

There’s Caedmon with his final quest. I’ll just switch him back into a party leader spot for the very last time.

What are they doing over there?
I know not their intentions, but they must be dealt with without delay. You of all people should understand.
Yeah.
The Silver Falcons will engage the Conqueror’s army at Harphlus Pass. I hope you will accompany us.
Don’t gotta ask me twice!
I’m heading to Harphlus Pass now. Are you prepared?
Yup!
Glory to the Falcons!

Quest accepted: The Silver Falcons: Part Three

Harphlus Pass – A rocky pass over Mt. Vackel to the Imperial City of Undelwalt. It’s said the path is too treacherous for even the largest of armies to pass.
Mission: Defeat the enemy!

Us being able to get to here is odd, because right now, we can’t get to Mt. Vackel. It’s almost like this quest is meant to be done later… but if we don’t do this quest like right now, the reward we get will be a lot less.

- Video: The Silver Falcons: Part Three

Music:

Well, at least this is a refreshing change of scenery.

Come on, let’s do this!
I’ll show you!

Rush and Paris lower the enemy morale, but little else of interest happens.

The stronger they are, the more fun I have wiping the smiles off their faces!

Do it like that every time!

Come on, from the sides!
Here I come!

That finished off the first bunch.

Battlefields start getting more complex and interesting than just a big featureless arena. This one is divided into three areas, separated by bridges.

Yeah! This is our big chance!

We need to close in to reach the enemies. Jager and Caedmon will hang back to heal, though.

Rush could use Omistrike, but I order him to use Spring Squall – his ultimate dual-wielding katana art. David could use Gae Bolg, but I decided to show off Blackout II properly.

Music: Turn the Tide

Spring Squall is the ultimate Dual-Wielding Katana art. It’s a rapid flurry of four slashes.

How d’ya like that?

:allears: Oh, you guys just picked the worst possible time to join the battle.

That’s an entire wave of full-health enemies wiped off the map instantly. Arcanas are really awesome versus groups, even if they aren’t great against single-targets.

Roeas and Castanea appear from opposite sides of the battlefield.

And they instantly switch the morale back down to the bottom.

Roeas has a unique move, Midnight Sun. It’s a series of spinning attacks with her two swords.

I’ll destroy you!

David knocks Roeas into critical. That didn’t take much effort at all.

Strong!

Rush was the only one close enough to Castanea to attack.

I’m not going to hold back.

Music:

Blocter finished Roeas off.

This one’ll leave a mark!

Because my teams are so spread out, only Rush takes significant damage from this.

Jager, Caedmon, and Irina’s teams are too far to do anything except close in.

This will give him 5 attacks per turn.

You can see my teammates in the distance.

This was not surprising.

Jager will attack with Beowlf, Irina will try to revive Rush, David will heal his union, and everyone else will do a full attack.

Forward! Show no mercy!

Caedmon knocks him into critical.

Hit him harder!

Gabriel manages to block that huge hammer and retaliate.

You’ll be all right now!

And Jager finishes the battle.

learned Revitalize II!
learned Nimble Double Strike III!
learned Retreat Flare III!
learned Slice & Dice II!

That’s… the Silver… something-or-others. Heh. Whatever they’re called, they don’t stand a chance.

If she can say that after getting her little army wiped out so convincingly, I have a bad feeling about the future.

Take this.

The reward for doing this quest in a timely fashion is pretty sweet. The Wishing Coin is a really nice item, which I had meant to equip onto Rush, but forgot.

From now on, the Falcons will no longer request your assistance… It feels odd, being so truly indebted to someone. The Silver Falcons fight for justice regardless of whose land we are on. We have made enemies of several Lords, but we do not fight for their recognition. However, you have been a strong and true ally, and I promise to repay that debt. We shall fight with you, whatever the reason. Go to the guild facing Elysion’s Assembly Hall if you ever have need of our assistance.

Completed quest: The Silver Falcons: Part Three

Getting rid of the rest of the Conqueror's army was satisfying! The Silver Falcons rock! Oh, and they help maintain peace in the world.

I heard the commander was so impressed by you that he decided to join you on your journey. All of us Falcons have taken an oath to the organization, to protect it and uphold what it stands for. Tell Commander Caedmon that he doesn’t have to worry about us! The Falcons will still be here when he comes back.

It does?
He taught me the value of protecting life... That is why when it came time for me to take up the mantle of commander, I had no doubts. Rush...we are in a time of trial. Power, territory, Remnants...it seems like anything can inflame tension to war nowadays. If I can reduce casualties by interfering in these conflicts, then I will without hesitation... even if it means working outside the law.
Yeah! Stand up and do what’s right!
… Ah, now I see. You're a lot like he was, Rush. That must be why I find myself chatting on at you so much. Heh, intriguing… I'll be curious to see where your beliefs take you... Feel free for that place to be the Falcons.
Parameter bonus! You have become chatty with Caedmon, thus awakening his true powers!

This gives him a boost of 10% to STR, INT, and SPD, but the STR stat gets the most benefit, being so much higher.

Yeah, yeah. Let’s go!
Follow me!

And Gaou upgraded his stuff, even though I don’t think I ever did get that Polished Scale that he was asking for. I say a lot of things, but I really, really have no idea how the upgrade timing works.

Another branch of the Sword of Three Realms guild opens up in Elysion. It only offers the same quests as the Celapaleis one, and no unique members.

So you’re Caedmon’s new pet. I know what you’re up to. You’re after his position, aren’t you!? Heh, keep dreaming. I’m next in line! After all, I’m head of the Elysion division of the Silver Falcons! I hope you’re ready for some competition.

It’s been a long time!
Er… it has?
…You don’t remember me? We fought those monsters at Harphlus Pass… Awww…
First, it was yesterday, not a long time. Second, I didn’t see anyone else from the Silver Falcons there.
Well, I remember you. You sure know how to use a weapon. We’ll be counting on ya when we get another assignment!
Why do people keep assuming I’ve joined up?

That’s all for today, but before we continue to the main plot, there’s someone who starts out at BR 41 who I want to pick up ASAP. So we’re going to Nagapur. There, we will learn about the most important Remnant in the world.

New Arts Summary
learned Revitalize II!
learned Nimble Double Strike III!
learned Retreat Flare III!
learned Slice & Dice II!

The Silver Falcons: Part Three

Good news: I was worried that I might accidentally overwrite an Important Save Game, so I decided to go ahead and record the bonus quest you get for agreeing with Ophelia on all three Order of Melphina quests. Of course, that meant I had to actually do all of them again (AND re-fight the Nest of Eagles battle). That’ll either be coming before or after the next main plot update.

Discussion: What are the qualities of the most important Remnant in the world? What does it do?

Next Time: It is the most important Remnant in all of the world.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

quote:

Discussion: What are the qualities of the most important Remnant in the world? What does it do?

It makes that loving yvalmock quest go faster! The first time playing through the game, it was thatquest that burned me out. Ugg.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The most important Remnant in the world is a Remnant that can alter the very laws of reality. It's something you definitely don't want anyone to use to muck up the world.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The most important Remnant?

It's either used for some insanely crazy but vital purpose that no one knows about : IE Elysion holds up the sky or the entire world is a Remnant.
Or it could just be a Remnant that affects other Remnants on a large scale. Such as some sort of control key/power plant for all of them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i am the most important remnant!!!!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

A Remnant that can turn other Remnants off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just want to say that the Silver Falcons video was one of the best battles that I can remember watching. The battlefield was dynamic and there were some pretty tense moments. I watch every combat video because I really love how the game looks in motion, but this one was a standout.

• Locked thread