Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

yoshesque posted:

That's from autoducking the game audio so you can hear the commentary. If the game audio is too quiet, please let me know so I can fix it. I am terrible with judging audio levels so I'd like to avoid another instance where I get a load of comments saying it's hard to hear me like in my Dodge Offset video. I assumed that since the LP is now 15 updates in most people find it okay?

Your videos before this one were great, it's just this one I noticed I was hardly able to hear the game at all. Thanks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Could anyone who's paid attention summarize what's been going on with the story so far? I'm completely lost and have no idea what bayo's motivations are anymore. Like why did Balder try to stop us, what are we doing in Vigrid in the past with Rosa and why is Loki so important to the plot?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Now that Jeanne's saved Bayonetta's gotta help Loki with his whole mountain and amnesia thing since they had a deal and Bayonetta actually cares between spouting sassy one-liners. We're in past Vigrid, aside from being a bit shameless "hey remember Bayonetta 1?" sequence, to answer what's the deal with Balder and Loki since obviously the whole Umbra-Lumen war is an important time in Balder's life, but we haven't gotten to the actual answers themselves yet.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage
Please tell me there is a mode where you can mech suit throughout the entire game.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Kamiya reaches his absolute top of his game when a giant robot suit does Bayo poses and dances. He will not be able to beat that, I already ran the numbers on it. I'm a professional.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Seedy Wizard posted:

Please tell me there is a mode where you can mech suit throughout the entire game.

I have some good news for you.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 15: Time Loop Tango No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Temperantia

Temperantia, the true embodiment of the Cardinal Virtue of Temperance, is often illustrated as an epic giant. Its body rising like a castle, Temperantia possesses two treelike arms -- a composed figure said to illustrate the total reverence in which the Laguna are held by the faithful.

When the true power of the virtue of Temperance is laid upon our world, it is said to come as a tornado, capable of swallowing an entire country. Humans are helpless to guess at the impetus behind Divine Will, whether it be anger or happiness, and are left only with prayers and promises of personal temperance if only the heavens should make the storm subside.

Inspired

An angel of the First Sphere belonging to the class known as Thrones. Angels of this class are on such a higher plane of spiritual existence that there is little chance of humans ever crossing paths with them. Some artists are able to see an Inspired as blazing wheels, but it takes a painter with particularly strong spiritual abilities to be able to paint Inspured's long, curving, snakelike body.

Though they appear to have high honor as God's only trusted divine war tanks, they do little more than ravage the battlefield in a berserk state, swallowing up the enemies of Paradiso.

Loptr

Was it reality or all just a dream? Finding herself in the midst of the Great War, 500 years ago. Bayonetta was suddenly attacked by a young boy with the exact appearance of Loki.

After the symbol of their clan, the clock tower, was destroyed, the Umbra began to scatter, routed by their enemy. Demons and angels filled the sky, warring with each other in a violent swirl of chaos.

Bayonetta knew where these events would lead. She was now faced with a momentous choice: would she change the course of history? However, the possibility that it was all a trap was never far from her mind. She had traveled from the past to the future, and then back again -- the second time in her life she was made to leap through the dimensions of time and space.

The boy's mouth slowly contorted into a grin. His smile... how he stood there looking at Bayonetta... made his intent clear.

"I shall take back the power which belongs to me. The power of the Eyes of the World. You shall not interfere."

-Chapter 5
The True Vigrid Chronicles
Saavendra

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 9, 2015

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
My only experience with Iron Chef anything comes from Star Ocean 2 for the PS1, where, inexplicably, there is a theme park city on disc 2 where your intrepid band can enter an Iron Chef competition. Good memories.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Loptr' is one of the alternate names for Loki along with Hveðrungr. It's a perfectly acceptable Old Norse name.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Games seriously need to stop having player defeated in cutscenes, especially in games where the implicit goal is to clown on bosses by not getting hit even once.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Balder's sliding entrance was so flamboyant holy crap I love it

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

mkob posted:

"Balder you're suppose to stand on the X"

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

mkob posted:

He's trying to make it look as though he has been standing there all along, but Bayonetta's is wise to his tricks.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I may only remember bits from the plot mess of the first game but I will happily talk about how great Iron Chef is for as long as the conversation allows.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I wish I could enjoy a bell pepper nearly as much as Chairman Kaga does.

And I swear Balder's slide has a cartoony smear effect at the beginning of it.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

pomf.se died, reposting in gif format

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

mkob posted:

pomf.se died, reposting in gif format

Luckily I saved the original, so I've uploaded it to my channel (if you don't mind, if you do let me know) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaBg96xSxBk

Final main playthrough update will be going up tomorrow, because I decided at the 11th hour that I needed to reencode the video.

But please, continue to discuss how Bayo 2 is just as technically sound as Bayo 1. I can count on one hand the number of "hardcore" players I've talked to who liked the changes (pssst, it's zero)

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It isn't remotely that. There are some people who strongly dislike it but even among hardcore fans it was heavily praised. It's at worst like the gap between DMC1 and DMC3, not DMC and DmC.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yoshesque posted:

But please, continue to discuss how Bayo 2 is just as technically sound as Bayo 1. I can count on one hand the number of "hardcore" players I've talked to who liked the changes (pssst, it's zero)

lol

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Wait, it's already over? Bayo 1 felt much longer and varied for some reason, also the fights, alfheims and set pieces felt more memorable to me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

yoshesque posted:

I'm sorry that people like a game that you don't.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

I'd argue it's more about being alienated by the gameplay changes, enemy design, gimmicks, pacing, etc. and not liking them that much in comparison to the first game, than outright hating bayo 2 and the people who like it

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
It's less the "not liking it" and more the "being antagonistic about it" that is ruffling some feathers. It's one thing to dislike a game, but another to poo poo on it endlessly and then be snide at the people who disagree. Especially with the rather elitist phrasing being used to do so. It ends up coming across as "I'm better than you, so my opinion is more valid, but by all means continue to be wrong." Just my (admittedly no more valuable than any other shmucks) two cents.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
*yoshesque grabs the thread with a look of raw terror* "Look ok I've seen some poo poo, heard some poo poo. I'm above this now."

Seriously though after watching the internet fire all cannons at her valid and fine opinion at the start of the thread and then suddenly the internet being super passive about it at the end (I'm talking LP and YouTube here) I don't see why people are surprised she's basically screwing with them at this point.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bayo2 lacks a proper balance between absurdity, hammy cutscenes, and showy combat,

Thus is not as good of a game from a spectator perspective.

And UGH TIME TRAVEL TO MAKE NEW CONTINUITY ERRORS UGH

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
imo the best thing about this game is Bayo's new design

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I also freely admit I'm coming into this at the tail end, not really knowing how it started because I didn't read every page of the thread, so if I'm wildly off-base then my bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sgt Thud posted:

I also freely admit I'm coming into this at the tail end, not really knowing how it started because I didn't read every page of the thread, so if I'm wildly off-base then my bad.

There was a lot of detail in early videos about the mechanical problems- they ran out of steam to discuss them because the same issues carried through over the course of the whole game. Random combo break due to enemy dodging/blocking and mandatory witch time are still evident in this latest video, as is the imbalance of a couple of the weapons.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Abit late on this one, but reading the thread title, :allears: I can hear his voice.* :allears: Thanks for playing videogames i cant afford, Yoshesque.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Short haired Bayo is pretty nice too.

My main gripe with this game is that there's a significant lack of polish/weird decisions with some of the visual aspects of the game: Jean's hair-cloak being the first that comes to mind with this.

People enjoy games for different reasons. I look at people who go for high scores and perfect runs and go 'how in the world are you enjoying that' while they look at my casual play and go 'why aren't you doing better don't you enjoying playing games well?'
Both are perfectly valid ways to play a game.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Honestly at some point I myself should probably sit down and physically play through the game myself, as a lot of yoshesque's criticisms of the game are a feel thing moreso than a look thing which is really hard to show in a "look don't touch" format like this. I can sit down and post about it after the final update goes up if people want that but also :effort:. Our conversation about the game as a whole at the end was a bit abrupt because Yoshesque's internet crapped out during the recording :australia: and to be honest I could ramble about design quirks for as long as a keyboard or mic is in front of me.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

There was a lot of detail in early videos about the mechanical problems- they ran out of steam to discuss them because the same issues carried through over the course of the whole game. Random combo break due to enemy dodging/blocking and mandatory witch time are still evident in this latest video, as is the imbalance of a couple of the weapons.

Yeah the game is totally fine when played casually, it's when you start digging into the mechanics or playing on higher difficulty that you see all the lack of polish and weird design choices. The problem isn't really about comparing it to bayo 1 or arguing which game was better, it's more like wondering why they tweaked or went with a different system which was fine in the previous game then realizing it doesn't work as well anymore.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 16: New Year, New Heels
Part 1: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download
Part 2: No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Aesir

Light, darkness, and chaos.

When the three worlds were divided at the dawn of time, Aesir was chosen to rule the World of Chaos. Possessing the power of the "Overseer", he existed in a dimension different from our own, watching the infinite possibilities that layered to form history from a viewpoint surpassing that of time and space.

His name, Aesir, is said to signify God in meaning, yet it has no connection to faith, morals, or religious teaching. Aesir is simply a supernatural being that could not be categorized by mankind any other way. If the legends passed down in Noatun contain any truth, it was makind itself who divided the God of Chaos into his two personalities: Loptr and Loki.

Aesir bestowed upon humans free will by giving them the "Eyes of the World". This, however, also gave birth to the ideas of triumph and defeat, truth and falsehood. People awakened to feelings of hate, betrayal, jealousy, and humiliation. The power of free will sparked an unstoppable surge throughout humanity that eventually led Aesir himself to wish to reclaim the power he had originally relinquished.

For someone who can travel through time and space, to take back the powers of the Overseer is to control the fate of the entire world across all time. Yet, humanity's choices had sown the seeds of evil within Aesir. Whatever course of action Aesir may take can only be retribution for humanity's sin...

Omne

An omniscient being formed by a miraculous unison of the powers of Paradiso and Inferno.

The past leaders of the Umbra and Lumen clans, though they were aware of Omne's existence, were unable to summon it to this realm. It took the combined power of light and darkness, united in the bond of father and daughter, to finally summon Omne successfully.

Possessing the qualities of both darkness and light, it can defeat even the most dissonant of chaos.

An Audience With...

It is said that God waits at the top of Fimbulventr, guiding those who visit him with his wisdom so they may find their true path.

To those living below, the top of the mountain looked to always be facing the most harsh, frigid conditions, but the Sovereign Quarters somehow remain isolated from all this--an area both peaceful and serene, with a perfect view of the starry sky.

Perhaps this was necessary to keep an accurate record of the stars' movement and the current happenings in the world. It is said that learned scholars of the past had a magnificent grasp of astronomy; I think it is probably because God imparted this wisdom unto them.

What's piqued my interest is a rumor about gates leading to both Inferno and Paradiso at the mountain's summit. Maybe God had these gates near his dwelling to watch over those worlds along with ours. Seeing if they really exist would be worth checking out.

The path to the mountain has crumbled away as time triumphed over it, leaving the other side blocked off forever, but to a fearless adventurer like myself, that sounds like just the challenge I've been waiting for.

Conclusion

I came to this town to find out the truth behind the origins of the legend of Aesir, but I never imagined I'd witness the story's conclusion with my own eyes. I don't think I can accurately sum up this century-spanning tale here, but I'll give a brief account.

Long, long ago, God imparted his powers to mankind by giving them the Eyes of the World, marking the dawn of free will. With the passing of this power, a new life was created. His name was Loptr. Loptr had the ability to absorb the evil thoughts of mankind that began to flow throughout the world. His power grew, and he dreamed of one day having a power equal to the God from which he was created. After accumulating a massive amount of energy, Loptr attempted to steal the Eyes of the World, but failed. By reincarnating himself, God fled to our modern era, where he was followed by Loptr. Loptr began a plan lasting 500 years involving Inferno, Paradiso, the Lumen, and the Umbra. As our world descended into chaos, Loptr began the final part of his plan. Yet in the end, not being a fully realized god, he couldn't forsee everything. An Umbra Witch crossed paths with God himself, as if fate had miraculously aligned. The two came together to stop Loptr's plan, in turn saving the world. Maybe it wasn't the perfect ending everyone hoped for, but our human world is still alive and kickin', so that's something. The Eyes of the World have lost their power, but the fear of humans losing their free will has been erased. Perhaps the Eyes of the World have dissolved into our world and dispersed their power silently across humanity. I can't say I really know what's going to happen next, but that's what makes tomorrow interesting, I suppose. As long as I'm around, I'm going to keep searching for the truth and let it be known.

-Seeker of Truth, Luka Redgrave

Handguns

Automatic pistols from Rodin to serve as some means of protection in the human world. Designed to be used by normal humans, these weapons are unable to withstand concentrated amounts of magic when firing, so witch eneergy must be controlled carefully.

Balder

Balder achieved his revenge. yet another battle awaited him. An endless battle with the soul of Aesir, trapped inside him until his death.

"My dear, sweet child...
Fear not, for I am always
watching over you..."

-Epilogue
The True Vigrid Chronicles
Saavedra

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I still don't get why so many are getting really bent out of shape over all this poo poo.

The whole time travel section was weird for me because the moment they introduced old enemies it was pure platinums all over the place. Also since we freed Jeanne all this stuff feels like they went "Oh poo poo yeah we should wrap up Loki's plot"

E: Yay lovely jet section

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

I still don't get why so many are getting really bent out of shape over all this poo poo.
Counterpoint: "Call me Daddy."
The first game was stupid, but it was gloriously so, this is just awkward.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Counterpoint: "Call me Daddy."
The first game was stupid, but it was gloriously so, this is just awkward.

This game should never try to get emotional.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The fact that the trashbag's outfit is see-through completely accentuates the fact that he, in fact, is wearing a trashbag.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Everything about Loptr's design is off except for his fantastic shade of lipstick.

Though they could have made him look like a coffin.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
He's wearing pin heel platform shoes and a onepiece suit that have bell bottoms

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

He's wearing pin heel platform shoes and a onepiece suit that have bell bottoms

He's fabulous. Pretty sure in his spare time he does drag shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Loptr would totally catwalk in those pretentious avant garde fashion shows.
He has proportions that put a Jojo to shame. Dem hips.

(I know the desinger is also in Fashion.)

• Locked thread