Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That's a really nice chapter in terms of character's development, it explained the rise and fall of Shadis and his personality pretty well, and it does it with some denouement in the end. Obviously it doesn't advance a lot the plot, it just gives a new tidbit of info Grisha was from outside the walls. Now, his memory loss...

1)Was he lying about that, was it just a way to explain others why he didn't know about human society inside the walls?
2)Was he being honest, and in that case
2.a) the memory loss comes from being a brainless titan a lot of time, until he eat by chance a shifter.
2.b) he is a shifter from the shifter titan village and somehow fought MT for somehting, and he was exiled and his memory erased.

edit: no, he knew about the Reiss family titan's secrets, so it has to be 1)

The comment of "at least there is peace inside the walls" was interesting. It teases that maybe outside the walls, even for shifter titans, there is a state of permanent war and conflict. Maybe there are multiple titan villages continuing the conflict that it started all this hundreds of years ago.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I think it's pretty clear at this point there is a massive conflict and war outside of the walls that is ongoing or was some time in the past. Reiner even says they'll rescue Historia from "the conflict". It's a recurring theme for everyone who is privy to knowledge of the outside world. Grisha's unguarded thoughts when he encountered Shadis was wondering if they were fighting, implying they're supposed to be peaceful. He was reassured when he learned that there was peace, even with the economic disparity. Money isn't even a thing in his world.

I think yeah he was just lying, and had no amnesia.

This also puts into context his reaction to Eren's comments way back on chapter 1. He seems to think that people who want to leave the walls are admirable. It leads to the idea the wall system was created as a compromise or social experiment- if you're willing to give up your freedom and everything you know the first king would wipe your mind and put you into a sterile little world- but it is peaceful. The system is obviously collapsing though.

As I suspected though, the Scouts were entirely created as a way to quell dissenters who wanted to leave the walls.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 9, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm getting a lot of Raskolnikov vibes from Shadis, but I don't think I can quite put my finger on why.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Page 8 is hosed up, Isayama forgot to draw Keith's goatee.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm starting to think there are less factions than initially thought. I now tend to think that the Shifters outside the Wall come mostly from random Titans who ate the right Survey Corps guy. That's why it was forbidden to leave the wall. Don't want them to gain sentience. Also the Titans outside might mostly be there out of their own free will. Points in favour: Ymir's sacrifice so that many people could be happy and Jäger's anxiety that they were fighting [who? They and another city?]. Reiner's bunch are a younger generation who don't remember the terrible thing that supposedly justifies all this.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

my dad posted:

I'm getting a lot of Raskolnikov vibes from Shadis, but I don't think I can quite put my finger on why.
"Self loathing as justification for public explication of your life story" is pretty Dostoevskyesque in general.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Welp it's impossible for grisha to have forgotten his memory since he's got some titan grow-op in his basement and knew who the Reisses were.

My big question is was it just coincidence bert and reiner attacked the same day grisha stole the coordinate, or were they in contact somehow?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
It's times like these I wish I weren't caught up with this, and could just charge right into the next chapter. This series is a fantastic binge read.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I was in the shower this morning when it came to me, apropos of loving nothing: the Ape Titan simply has to be Grisha's brother.

Because that would make him Eren's uncle.

The monkey 's uncle.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Vengarr posted:

I was in the shower this morning when it came to me, apropos of loving nothing: the Ape Titan simply has to be Grisha's brother.

Because that would make him Eren's uncle.

The monkey 's uncle.

:doh:

That's some next level pun right there.

Although the expression is "I'll be a monkey's uncle" and in this case the uncle is the monkey....

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 14, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

Welp it's impossible for grisha to have forgotten his memory since he's got some titan grow-op in his basement and knew who the Reisses were.

My big question is was it just coincidence bert and reiner attacked the same day grisha stole the coordinate, or were they in contact somehow?

I think he went to steal the coordinate in answer of Bert and Reiner attacking. He knew the coordinate was their objective so he stole it before it could be stolen by others. Maybe it was his way to save it from MT hands.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The special edition of volume 16 of the manga will have a box variant (since it contains a bunch of things aside from the manga volume) by Tony Moore of The Walking Dead fame.
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/132491-sdcc-tony-moore-covers-attack-on-titan-16-special-edition.html

Also, volume 17 will contain the Ilse's Notebook special episode.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I think he went to steal the coordinate in answer of Bert and Reiner attacking. He knew the coordinate was their objective so he stole it before it could be stolen by others. Maybe it was his way to save it from MT hands.

Yeah this sounds a lot better. I always assumed the chronology was Grisha went to steal the coordinate before the attack happened because he had to leave for "business" in the first chapter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/attack-on-titan/part-i/live-action-movie/.90469

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So, apparently it has barely anything at all to do with AoT, but it stands on its own as a great horror flick?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It'll probably be bad, but I'll be damned if the latest trailer for the film isn't fairly exciting.

http://www.themarysue.com/live-action-attack-on-titan-trailer/

3d gear! Explosions! Blood! Way to many teeth!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's probably a pretty bad sign if the titan used in the movie poster looks like it's an action figure being zoomed in upon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New season trailer!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I'm beginning to think some things are just way too popular for their own good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The final image splash shows Berthold and the Colossal titan on screen at the same time. Pass.

I love how the anime industry is so creatively bankrupt that if a series comes out that doesn't happen to be set in a loving highschool, they need to do an adaptation of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What was the side-comic that was actually pretty funny? Wasn't it a 4-koma? If only we'd gotten that instead.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

So this is a real thing?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I read the manga, but in it Armin is a giant D&D nerd and talks about critical hitting and rolling d20's.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

What was the side-comic that was actually pretty funny? Wasn't it a 4-koma? If only we'd gotten that instead.

Are you talking about Spoof on Titan?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Has issue 72 been delayed? It should have been out by now, right?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw some supposed spoilers form someone doing translations on tumblr. other than that idk

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
It's out there, just not translated.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

It's out. Looking for a half-decent fan translation to appear as we speak.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Looks to up at 5pm Pacific according to crunchy's site.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Chapter's up on Crunchyroll.

Just break Erwin's legs, Levi. It's for his own good.

We're definitely entering endgame territory here.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm getting a paywall when I try to read the new chapter? That didn't happen last month...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Viola the Mad posted:

Chapter's up on Crunchyroll.

Just break Erwin's legs, Levi. It's for his own good.

We're definitely entering endgame territory here.

Are all issues now locked?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

change my name posted:

I'm getting a paywall when I try to read the new chapter? That didn't happen last month...

I can read the new chapter on the ipad app, but not on their actual site right now. Are you seeing chapter 72? or is it still 71, since that one would be behind the paywall.

get it together crunchyroll

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alternately, i can access it if i follow the link from the sidebar. :psyduck:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=273&chapter_num=72.00

Anyway, maybe that works?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

a kitten posted:

Alternately, i can access it if i follow the link from the sidebar. :psyduck:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=273&chapter_num=72.00

Anyway, maybe that works?

Yeah thanks, the direct link seems to work.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

change my name posted:

Yeah thanks, the direct link seems to work.

same thanks

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I did have some issues with Crunchy, but I thought it was my computer being funky. Try starting from the end of 71 and clicking forward. That took me into 72.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The requisite comic relief chapter before they all die horribly trying (and failing) to make it to that drat basement.