Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

flatluigi posted:

She just cut that other woman's feet off at the ankles

It's Alex. No one will miss her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Daedo posted:

Except not really? The map in Origins was largely recycled from Arkham City, with the new area being a large island to the south.

Arkham Knight takes place in a completely different part of Gotham. You can look off to the South from Wayne Tower and see the city from City/Origins, including Wonder Tower and Poison Ivy's overgrown hideout.

Interesting. See, I was thinking that Knight's area was relatively in the same spot that the new part of town from Origins was in. Looking it up, I can see that's not the case.

But the new part they added for Origins isn't in Knight. You can see City landmarks like the Wonder Tower and Ivy's place, but the new area isn't there. The bridge to the new area in Origins connected to the City area by a bridge in the industrial area. There's nothing beyond the industrial area in Knight, just water. There's a bridge that looks like it connects somewhere in the Bowery, but the area that it leads to doesn't really look like the skyscraper-ey new area they added in Origins.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Perry Normal posted:

Interesting. See, I was thinking that Knight's area was relatively in the same spot that the new part of town from Origins was in. Looking it up, I can see that's not the case.

But the new part they added for Origins isn't in Knight. You can see City landmarks like the Wonder Tower and Ivy's place, but the new area isn't there. The bridge to the new area in Origins connected to the City area by a bridge in the industrial area. There's nothing beyond the industrial area in Knight, just water. There's a bridge that looks like it connects somewhere in the Bowery, but the area that it leads to doesn't really look like the skyscraper-ey new area they added in Origins.

It sank in the earthquake in Arkham Origins: Year 2: No Man's Land: The Post-Prequel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It really doesn't seem like there's any coming back from this but I guess you never know.

he looks like he found someone on his crew dead and is screaming to the sky

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I assume that is the moment he gets the shrapnel stuck in his head

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

Apparently the Royal Hotel from Origins can be seen in the game.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
There's a building that looks somewhat like the Royal on the landmass that the bridge from the Bowery connects to, but nothing else around it much looks like the Origins part of town and the whole area is in a different spot if it is it.

Popped Origins in to check out some of this stuff earlier and travelling around feels so slow compared to AK, holy poo poo.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Thinky Whale posted:

In Sunless Sea, I like how the explanation of how you can keep sunlight in a box to sell is "They do it with mirrors."

In Terraria, you mine ores to make armor and weapons, starting with Copper and upgrading to Iron, Silver, Gold, etc...

You get a goblin scientist NPC who sometimes says "Yes, of COURSE Gold is stronger than Iron! Good lord, what are they teaching humans these days?"

E: Most of the dialog is pretty great. The goblin tinkerer and human mechanic sheepishly ask the player how the other is doing :3:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Jul 14, 2015

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Recently finished Bioshock: Infinite as a way to clear out my never-ending game backlog.

I'm a huge sucker for time-travel, paradoxes, and multi-personal hijinks in storytelling - i.e. Back to the Future II - so seeing what happens in the last third of the game was a lot of fun. There's the part with Booker trying to get to Elizabeth after she's captured by Songbird. You see what a possible future looks like, and as you fight through to her, you see that her capture/torture/conditioning creates a bad future. You see tastes of the woman she might become, and after so much time with her, it feels genuinely heartbreaking to think of what'll happen if you don't succeed. It's like you get to see the post-game-over world as you're playing.

One other thing I liked: when Booker and Elizabeth are fighting the Siren mini-boss, there's a very cool, very creepy song that plays. I didn't notice it at first because of all the mayhem and things going on, but it's there deep in the background and it's basically perfect for the weird horror you experience when in that boss fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Recently finished Bioshock: Infinite as a way to clear out my never-ending game backlog.

I'm a huge sucker for time-travel, paradoxes, and multi-personal hijinks in storytelling - i.e. Back to the Future II - so seeing what happens in the last third of the game was a lot of fun. There's the part with Booker trying to get to Elizabeth after she's captured by Songbird. You see what a possible future looks like, and as you fight through to her, you see that her capture/torture/conditioning creates a bad future. You see tastes of the woman she might become, and after so much time with her, it feels genuinely heartbreaking to think of what'll happen if you don't succeed. It's like you get to see the post-game-over world as you're playing.

One other thing I liked: when Booker and Elizabeth are fighting the Siren mini-boss, there's a very cool, very creepy song that plays. I didn't notice it at first because of all the mayhem and things going on, but it's there deep in the background and it's basically perfect for the weird horror you experience when in that boss fight.

its a slowed down garbled version of lacrimosa, the Mozart piece that is in lady comstocks tomb.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Only just got around to playing Far Cry 4 - I'm loving the usage of wild animals. I had an elephant take an entire outpost for me because I shot its cage open, thanks Stampy! Wild animal attacks are neatly dynamic. I once made the mistake of afking after warping to a safehouse, only to step out a few minutes later to find that a tiger had ate everyone in the outpost. I still feel bad for that NPC I shot with an arrow because I tried to 360 no-scope the tiger that was chasing him.

The Shangra-la segments don't feel that fun to play, but I absolutely love the concept and look of them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Only just got around to playing Far Cry 4 - I'm loving the usage of wild animals. I had an elephant take an entire outpost for me because I shot its cage open, thanks Stampy! Wild animal attacks are neatly dynamic. I once made the mistake of afking after warping to a safehouse, only to step out a few minutes later to find that a tiger had ate everyone in the outpost. I still feel bad for that NPC I shot with an arrow because I tried to 360 no-scope the tiger that was chasing him.

The Shangra-la segments don't feel that fun to play, but I absolutely love the concept and look of them.

The wild animals were great. I came up on a small cliff where just below there were four guys standing near a jeep. It was some part of a mission - dont remember for what but I know had to kill one of the guys. Rhino comes in out of nowhere, the guys scatter, one of them jumps in the jeep and tries to drive off but the Rhino hits it and knocks it off the cliff, killing the guy I was supposed to kill.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pokemon: Sapphire/Ruby and the enhanced remakes Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire start the exact same way. "Hello my name is Professor Birch, welcome to the world of Pokemon blahblahblah". Except in the enhanced remake the screen gets pulled away to reveal the fully 3D world.

As someone who hasn't played a single pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire, I thought it was neat.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Oxyclean posted:

I was about to do a Far Cry 4 post myself and same, basically. The wildlife makes running around super fun, in or out of missions.

The other day, I was heading to a mission start point and saw a randomly spawning hostage situation. Took out the guard with a sniper rifle headshot, only for the hostage to be immediately mauled by a random tiger. I shrugged, trotted back to my car and got attacked by some Royal Army guys before I could leave—only for a rhinocerous to attack and stomp the poo poo out of them. (And then it turned on me, but I just drove off.) The game wouldn't be half as fun if the animals didn't make the setting so dynamic.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

effervescible posted:

I was about to do a Far Cry 4 post myself and same, basically. The wildlife makes running around super fun, in or out of missions.

The other day, I was heading to a mission start point and saw a randomly spawning hostage situation. Took out the guard with a sniper rifle headshot, only for the hostage to be immediately mauled by a random tiger. I shrugged, trotted back to my car and got attacked by some Royal Army guys before I could leave—only for a rhinocerous to attack and stomp the poo poo out of them. (And then it turned on me, but I just drove off.) The game wouldn't be half as fun if the animals didn't make the setting so dynamic.
I was golfing in real life the other day and kept noticing the hawks that were circling. I was wondering why I was being wary of them then remembered how much the Far Cry eagles have torn my poo poo up.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was golfing in real life the other day and kept noticing the hawks that were circling. I was wondering why I was being wary of them then remembered how much the Far Cry eagles have torn my poo poo up.

The eagles are the worst because they will kick your rear end and are hard to shoot out of the sky (though not for NPCs, apparently.) Honey badgers are tough to kill, but at least I can hit them with a rocket launcher fairly easily.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have been playing Pikmin again recently, their little ghosts when they die will always haunt me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

effervescible posted:

The eagles are the worst because they will kick your rear end and are hard to shoot out of the sky (though not for NPCs, apparently.) Honey badgers are tough to kill, but at least I can hit them with a rocket launcher fairly easily.

I thought they wouldn't be able to make an enemy more irritating than the snakes in 3--they do no real damage and so aren't really a danger but they're near-impossible to see coming, omnipresent, and take over your character for a several-seconds long cutscene of your character flailing ineffectively at them.

Then some absolute fiend at Ubisoft paused for a moment, thoughtfully chewed on the bones of an orphan, and thought, "what if we made the same enemy, but it could fly?"

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

I have been playing Pikmin again recently, their little ghosts when they die will always haunt me.

NnnnooOOOOOooOOOoooooo...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Been playing The Evil Within, and I love some of the stuff they do with the save hub. The save hub itself is just one paint splatter of little things. When you save often or leave and come back a bunch in the same chapter, the nurse in the safe haven will say you look worried or ask if you're feeling nervous, a la Psycho Mantis in ye olde Metal Gear Solid. Occasionally missing persons posters will appear on a bulletin board in the safe haven, letting you know where all the various side characters disappeared from in the real world. Sometimes the nurse isn't there, other times the lights are super dim, and occasionally the creepy music that lets you know there's a save room mirror nearby will persist throughout the entire safe haven.

I think my favorite trick so far happened just now: When you use the electric chair to upgrade your abilities and such, the mirrors in the safe haven all crack open so you can go back to the game. This time, however, they just... y'know, didn't. I got in the chair, upgraded my Sebastian, and then when I got back up nothing happened. So I got back in the chair and some real crazy hard to describe poo poo happened, and then with a cataclysmic DOOOOOMMMM sound the safe haven, like, restarted from the beginning with Seb waking up in the bed in the usual cell. Then all the mirrors worked fine. I think that's probably the only time I have wanted to say "what. :what:" out loud.

edit: Speaking of the nurse, NPCs are few and far between in The Evil Within, and if you try to shoot her or indeed fire any weapon in the safe haven, the game will just straight up let you do it... except the bullets and so on go straight through her because obviously she's not real so why would you be able to kill her. v:v:v

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

effervescible posted:

The Buzzsaw will solve all your problems.

Praise be to the Buzzsaw!

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

that game can be downright traumatizing if you gently caress up and all of your pikmin die at once

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EmmyOk posted:

On a similar note, the little whisper of "deaaaaaaaaath" when a worshipper dies in Black & White is a bit eerie. Especially when something happens that kills off a bunch of people at once.

Oh, and speaking of Black & White, this is by no means a feature unique to that game, but I always liked how your Hand and palace changed appearance based on how good or evil you were, with the good palace having doves and rainbows and poo poo, and the evil version being almost absurdly spiky.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rickycat posted:

that game can be downright traumatizing if you gently caress up and all of your pikmin die at once

The first time I played I assumed because Olimar could run through water so could Pikmin. 50 pikmin died at once while I cried and tried to whistle them back on shore. Never forget.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Oxyclean posted:

Far Cry 4 is the first game that comes to mind that uses slabs of meat as a smart offensive weapon. You're bound to have a bunch of them, and they seem to teleport in a predator once you throw it. Toss it into an enemy outpost and watch as a tiger saunters out of the brush and destroys everything. The only downside is that if the enemy loses to the animal, you've now got a wounded and angry beast on your hands.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

LawfulWaffle posted:

Far Cry 4 is the first game that comes to mind that uses slabs of meat as a smart offensive weapon. You're bound to have a bunch of them, and they seem to teleport in a predator once you throw it. Toss it into an enemy outpost and watch as a tiger saunters out of the brush and destroys everything. The only downside is that if the enemy loses to the animal, you've now got a wounded and angry beast on your hands.

I just hate when they turn off the effectiveness of bait for certain missions. :mad: "No animal seems to be interested in that" gently caress you, ungrateful animals, that's good meat! You should appreciate that meat!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LawfulWaffle posted:

In which case, hang around and hide until it fucks off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Throw more meat so a larger predator comes after it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's at least half a dozen opportunities in Arkham Knight to interrupt someone's monologue by hacking their security system, punching them early or simply running them over. This never fails to get a laugh out of me and I can't bring myself to let the villains rant as a result. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much half of the dialogue in that game is structured specifically for Batman to swoop in immediately after the person is finished speaking. Like, there's even a conversation between thugs where one is just straight-up like "You think I'm scared of the bat, like he's just gonna come in outta nowhere? HEY! BATMAN!! COME GET ME!! ...see? Nothin'!"

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I just got Elder Scrolls: Online for the PS4.

I noticed that when you go into your inventory, your character is rummaging in their bag. If you're looking at your map so is your character, and if you're looking at skills they're reading a book.

Not only is it neat that they put in emotes that lets everyone around know your doing character stuff, but that there are separate emotes for what you do.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

There's at least half a dozen opportunities in Arkham Knight to interrupt someone's monologue by hacking their security system, punching them early or simply running them over. This never fails to get a laugh out of me and I can't bring myself to let the villains rant as a result. :allears:

There were a few times I just sat around waiting for something to happen before suddenly realizing that I had to make something happen. The very first one even, I didn't know I was meant to be cremating the guy until I got impatient and started twiddling the sticks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got around to playing Max Payne 3 after having it forever. I like how Max's suits are always wrinkled because he just buys them and leaves them on the floor.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

One thing I liked about Arkham Knight was that some Riddler informants aren't intimidated by Batman's interrogation and use the opportunity to try to hit him.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

kazil posted:

One thing I liked about Arkham Knight was that some Riddler informants aren't intimidated by Batman's interrogation and use the opportunity to try to hit him.

Counter, and you get the info anyway

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Borderlands The Pre-Sequel there are jump pads and they make the Six Million Dollar Man sound when you step on one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Got around to playing Max Payne 3 after having it forever. I like how Max's suits are always wrinkled because he just buys them and leaves them on the floor.

The part where Max's cop buddy surprises him at his apartment while he's not dressed up and he just scoops a wrinkled, already-worn suit jacket off of the floor will never not make me laugh. Poor Max. :allears:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
At the end of Wolfenstein: The New Order there's a part where you're holding someone at knifepoint and have to press a button to execute them. If you wait a while (like long enough for the dramatic violin music and the character animation to loop) the person will get frustrated and try to goad you into finishing them off by spitting at you and calling you a coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know what made me think of this now, but I liked that in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, the whole game was basically you telling a story to someone. When you loaded up a save, it would start with you saying something like,
"Alright,t now where were we?"

And if you died and reloaded, you'd go,
"No wait...that's not what happened."

Then the twist at the end is that you're telling this story to the princess, who you meet early on in the game and helps you out, but then like 99% of the game doesn't actually happen because you put the Sands of time back, so she doesn't know you or believe your cockamamie story.

And then the Two Thrones, the third game in the trilogy, ends with the Prince talking to the same woman, saying the same words he spoke at the start of the first game (due to time bullshit I don't think the woman in this timeline experienced the events of the first game). It's a pretty neat narrative tool even if it wasn't always used to its fullest.