Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I seriously walked into Barnes and nobles last week and walked out with $100 of movies. I actually went online later that day and got another $100 more (but they don't ship until later this week because one of them is hiroshima mon amour). This is seriously addicting. On the other hand, I think I now own 90% of the criterions I was interested in so I'm not totally screwed on a future sale unless criterion does some new releases I really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ineffiable posted:

I seriously walked into Barnes and nobles last week and walked out with $100 of movies. I actually went online later that day and got another $100 more (but they don't ship until later this week because one of them is hiroshima mon amour). This is seriously addicting. On the other hand, I think I now own 90% of the criterions I was interested in so I'm not totally screwed on a future sale unless criterion does some new releases I really want.

Blind buying Criterions is fun and thrilling! I think at least 75% of the Criterions I get are movies that I would never have known of if it weren't for being a part of the Criterion collection, so I guess their role in curation works really well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of out of print titles, I now badly want the Robocop Criterion release, which I didn't even know existed until the sale prompted me to go through their online catalog. Apparently though you can get it pretty easily used for ~$30-40, or $60 for a still sealed copy, so it's an attainable goal.

I have the Criterion DVD and would be willing to give it up. It's slightly scratched up but still worked the last time I wanted to read through the interactive Paul Sammon article.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Blind buying Criterions is fun and thrilling! I think at least 75% of the Criterions I get are movies that I would never have known of if it weren't for being a part of the Criterion collection, so I guess their role in curation works really well.

This is exceedingly true.

The very first foreign language film I saw was 8 1/2 courtesy of Criterion's DVD. It was fascinating to me as a 17 year old. I bought it because I had some extra money from work and got it on a whim because it looked like an interesting film. I didn't even think twice about the language, so it was a big surprise. F for Fake, which is probably my all-time favorite film, was a purchase just because I was depressed over my stepfather slowly dying in the hospital and wanted to see another Orson Welles film. I already had liked and owned Citizen Kane, but the description on the case was enticing. I really needed an incredible film at that time and it's stuck with me since.

Even when they're movies I ended up not being terribly enthusiastic about (The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Tales of Hoffmann, The Hidden Fortress), the quality presentation and supplements still made it worthwhile.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been very satisfied with my blind buys, which probably make up 80% of my Criterions. The only blinds I've hated or were really indifferent to were Blow Out, Broadcast News, and Overlord.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I guess I should never say I'm done. To be fair half of my collection is blind buys. I just watched The Game last weekend and it was really thrilling. And after work last week I watched one of the Pierre etaix shorts and it was very amusing.

Actually, anyone have a good recommendation for what to go for next after The Game? Maybe Seconds or world on a wire.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wish I was as accurate with my blind buys as some of you. There's yet to be a Criterion where I don't appreciate at least one aspect of it a lot, and I always find them interesting, but there's been a number that I just don't enjoy. With that in mind, if any of you end up not caring for some of your sale purchases, I'm always open to trading Criterion DVDs (no Bluray here) and have done so with a couple of goons in the past!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been very satisfied with my blind buys, which probably make up 80% of my Criterions. The only blinds I've hated or were really indifferent to were Blow Out, Broadcast News, and Overlord.

:cry:

I love it so much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Swagger Dagger posted:

:cry:

I love it so much.

On paper I should have liked it, but I just couldn't get into it. Albert Brooks felt really wasted.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The Criterion blind buys I bought that kind of underwhelmed me are more than made up for by the ones that blow me away and end up being a new discovery. Powell & Pressburger, Melville, the Dardennes, Bresson; these are all directors that I got into after blind buying a film that I have doubts I would ever take a chance on if I had to rent it somewhere or even reading the description on a streaming service.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I do not understand the concept of not being enthralled by both the story and the craft in Blow Out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The ending to Blow Out is one of the most effective endings I've ever seen. It really puts you emotionally in John Travolta's shoes. Like, very few films terrify me quite like the ending of Blow Out does, just because it really is twisted. I really was impressed with Blow Out. One of the more interesting things about that film is how much it really isn't about. Like, the political thriller aspect is just a backdrop for the story about a man who keeps fighting even though he knows that he could walk away and they would let him live happily ever after.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Almost all of my Criterions are blind buys and I've only really regretted two: La Jetée/Sans Soleil and especially The Vanishing. The former just wasn't something I would've been interested in in the first place and the latter had one of the most unpalatable endings I've seen since No Country For Old Men.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
But...that's why the ending is great in both of those films.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They made me miserable. I don't like feeling miserable, if I can help it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Seeing No Country For Old Men in the theater was great, the whole audience just kind of sat there in silence for a minute after it ended.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Daveski posted:

Seeing No Country For Old Men in the theater was great, the whole audience just kind of sat there in silence for a minute after it ended.

In my screening a guy audibly stood up and said "this is BULLSHIT." and stormed out. It was awesome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That would've provided some much needed levity I think, yeah. Not sitting on your rear end by yourself on a couch with only your dark thoughts and maybe some alcohol to console you afterwards.

Anyway I think it's fine people like those movies but my main point I guess was that Criterions are usually safe to blind buy, at least of the 100+ I have I rarely regret buying any of them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The actual ending of No Country, Jones' monologue, is maybe my favorite piece of writing in a Coen Brothers movie and it's lifted word for word from the book.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nate RFB posted:

Almost all of my Criterions are blind buys and I've only really regretted two: La Jetée/Sans Soleil and especially The Vanishing. The former just wasn't something I would've been interested in in the first place and the latter had one of the most unpalatable endings I've seen since No Country For Old Men.

Counterpoint: those are both great movies.

The only criterion film I haven't liked is Night Train to Munich but I'm glad I watched it because it's extensively referenced in The Grand Hotel Budapest.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cloks posted:

The only criterion film I haven't liked is Night Train to Munich but I'm glad I watched it because it's extensively referenced in The Grand Hotel Budapest.

Could you expand on this? I quite liked The Grand Budapest Hotel but haven't seen Night Train to Munich.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Was No Country for Old Men too commercially successful for a Criterion release? I feel like it would be awesome if they gave it the full treatment with documentaries and commentaries etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Basebf555 posted:

Was No Country for Old Men too commercially successful for a Criterion release? I feel like it would be awesome if they gave it the full treatment with documentaries and commentaries etc.

They made one for Armageddon

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's no Coen Bros. at all in Criterion, is there?

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Inside Llewyn Davis was hinted at in the New Years' drawing. I thought I heard rumors of Barton Fink getting on the collection a while ago, but maybe I'm just imagining that.

Either way, the Coens are gonna come to Criterion.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Armageddon was an exception because Disney wasn't releasing packed DVDs yet. Nearly everything, even animated films, would be bare-bones from laserdisc transfers. In fact, Disney handled physical distribution of the DVDs, as well as the Touchstone Wes Anderson films. The Anderson Blu-Rays, though, are fully Criterion-distributed now. Which is why they don't sell the DVD editions on their site any longer.

I wouldn't expect any big first run movies from Criterion unless it's a Wes Anderson film or the filmmakers specifically wanted to work with Criterion. Or the studio knows that a Criterion would have a better marketing push. That's why I think MGM and Universal license so many films out to nearly every niche label, not to mention why Warner Bros. finally started licensing. There's still odd releases like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but even that was actually distributed by Paramount on video and the supplements were actually produced before Criterion got it.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 14, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

justlikedunkirk posted:

Inside Llewyn Davis was hinted at in the New Years' drawing.

Man, I hope so. The blu-ray I have is extremely bare-bones.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nate RFB posted:

They made me miserable. I don't like feeling miserable, if I can help it.

You probably hated Chinatown too, you monster.

The Vanishing is maybe my favourite "find" of the collection, the cover caught my eye and I read up a little bit (but not too much) and ended up loving it, it's just so cold and sinister. Not sure if the blu is worth upgrading to though. La Jetee/Sans Soleil I think is a must have if you want to dip your toes in something more avant garde.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chinatown owns, I liked it a lot! Fine line between misery and just depressing/tragic, I guess.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

Could you expand on this? I quite liked The Grand Budapest Hotel but haven't seen Night Train to Munich.

The scenes in the ski lifts are pretty much lifted from it as well as the train banter being thematically similar to that and The Lady Vanishes.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

kaujot posted:

I do not understand the concept of not being enthralled by both the story and the craft in Blow Out.

Some people just hate fun, I guess.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
@Criterion 30m
Big announcement coming… Stay tuned.
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/621391223929077760

Gotta be Apu with the announcements, right?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
They're gonna have a hard time living up to last October.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'm still holding out for "Kindergarten Cop".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VoodooXT posted:

That would be a release day buy for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

VoodooXT posted:

I'm hoping for Priest starring cinema legends Paul Bettany and Karl Urban.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One of these days the announcement well be Until the End of the World and I will buy my first non-sale criterion.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
They're bringing back laserdisc! Finally!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My Own Private Idaho (upgrade)
Kwaidan (upgrade)
The Brood
A Special Day

Oh, and there's also this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006