Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

AT&T is getting into trouble with the FCC with their throttling so that might be going away.

That's for unlimited plans though. Cricket very clearly states how much data you get before you are supposed to be throttled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Republic Wireless has just switched over to a new pricing model. Now everyone will be on the base $10/month plan (unlimited talk and text, but no cell data) and you can buy cell data on top of that for $15/gig.

That cell data rate is a little steep, but here's the gimmick -- at the end of the month, they refund you for whatever portion of the data you didn't use. So if you only used 10% of that gig, your next bill gets a credit for 90% of the $15. It's an incentive to get you to use wi-fi more.

Obviously not the greatest deal if you're using 4G all day every day, but for those of us who are surrounded by wi-fi most of the time and have pretty light data usage otherwise, this should be a nice little money saver.

I've been with Republic for about six months now, and overall I'm very happy with them. Occasionally a phone call being made over wi-fi will have problems, but that's pretty rare, and there's a button right on the screen to hand it off to a cell tower. And in any case, I'm on a crusade to switch all my friends over to RedPhone and TextSecure, so I'm using the default phone apps less these days anyway.

Suck it, NSA. :nsa:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Republic Wireless has just switched over to a new pricing model. Now everyone will be on the base $10/month plan (unlimited talk and text, but no cell data) and you can buy cell data on top of that for $15/gig.

That cell data rate is a little steep, but here's the gimmick -- at the end of the month, they refund you for whatever portion of the data you didn't use. So if you only used 10% of that gig, your next bill gets a credit for 90% of the $15. It's an incentive to get you to use wi-fi more.

Obviously not the greatest deal if you're using 4G all day every day, but for those of us who are surrounded by wi-fi most of the time and have pretty light data usage otherwise, this should be a nice little money saver.

I've been with Republic for about six months now, and overall I'm very happy with them. Occasionally a phone call being made over wi-fi will have problems, but that's pretty rare, and there's a button right on the screen to hand it off to a cell tower. And in any case, I'm on a crusade to switch all my friends over to RedPhone and TextSecure, so I'm using the default phone apps less these days anyway.

Suck it, NSA. :nsa:

Changing the OP but...$15 per gigabyte?? Even with the credit refund... :stare:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Changing the OP but...$15 per gigabyte?? Even with the credit refund... :stare:

Yeah it seems a little high. Google Fi is $20 + $10/gb and then you get refunded the data you don't use, so it's a similar pricing scheme with different prices. Existing Republic customers keep their current plans grandfathered until January 31st, 2016. That's probably when I'll switch to another provider. I'll miss my moto x but I guess I've got 6 months to find a new phone.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Does Cricket support Apple Music in their "free music data" thingy?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

PaganGoatPants posted:

Does Cricket support Apple Music in their "free music data" thingy?

Isn't that T-mobile? If so, it looks like "not at the moment":

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

clockworx posted:

Isn't that T-mobile? If so, it looks like "not at the moment":

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

Oh, I thought Cricket had the same deal too. Oops.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh, I thought Cricket had the same deal too. Oops.

Cricket has a streaming service called Deezer; they give you one month free and then it's $6/month after that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Cricket has a streaming service called Deezer; they give you one month free and then it's $6/month after that.

That is a terrible name.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

That is a terrible name.

What the hell is a Spotify, anyway??

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What the hell is a Spotify, anyway??

It isn't a Deezer, that's for sure.

Deez er.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pro-tip about microSD slots since I couldn't find much information on it and I had to take a risk ordering a card I wasn't 100% sure would work. A lot of the phones that are cheap enough to be worth getting for a prepaid plan will say they are limited to a 32gb microSD. This is because the 32gb and lower cards are SDHC, and are formatted as FAT32, but 64 and above are SDXC, and formatted as exFAT. However, you can get those phones to accept a 64gb card by formatting that card as FAT32, which is really easy, and worked flawlessly for me.

I bought this card, which cost 25$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C1I2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Then I formatted it to FAT32 with this program, which is like, stupid simple.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

And it worked perfectly for me on my Moto E LTE. So now my phone that has cost me $75 total has 65 gigs of storage and does everything I could ever need it to. Owns. Hypothetically, this should work for 128gb cards as well, but that's not an option in the program I listed, and it would probably take a little bit more technical know how. But yeah. Cheap and easy way to boost your storage way above what this tier of phones should be capable of.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Most of the time, you can just let the phone format it also after it complains about the SD card.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most of the time, you can just let the phone format it also after it complains about the SD card.

But years worth of torrented animes...

I'm on the road a lot so I can't go without a TB of local storage.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does cricket have any in-home internet based signal boosters? I get good coverage with cricket, except at my house because of typography. My house is at the bottom of a hill that is between the AT&T tower in my town and my house

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
Are we still doing Cricket referrals in this thread? I'd like one please. Thanks.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
I'd like a referral as well.

My email is - got the referral, thanks.

sandball fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 15, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sandball posted:

I'd like a referral as well.

My email is garred at gmail.com

Sent!

(Needed your name so I put the first of your e-mail plus "S"...should still work, if not, let me know.. :v:)

cptn oblivious posted:

Are we still doing Cricket referrals in this thread? I'd like one please. Thanks.

Gonna need an e-mail, no PMs here.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

cptn oblivious posted:

https://mycricket.sparkrefer.com/4zzwOwi

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Did cricket stop letting you change your plan from the app? I need to upgrade as I'm out of my data and can't do it. Navigating through the web browser redirects me back to the app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up for anyone on cricket or any other ATT based MVNO: ATT seems to be having some pretty major issues right now in the tri-state area. I'm having trouble sending texts and receiving phonecalls, and the down detector map on their website shows a giant red angry blog hovering over the area.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just a heads up for anyone on cricket or any other ATT based MVNO: ATT seems to be having some pretty major issues right now in the tri-state area. I'm having trouble sending texts and receiving phonecalls, and the down detector map on their website shows a giant red angry blog hovering over the area.

Note that conspiracy theory nuts are out in full force:
http://resistancejournals.com/2015/07/15/breaking-cell-service-blackouts-as-jade-launches/

So there may be a whole lot of really stupid people trying to hammer ATT's network so that they can make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"ATT is down? Hold on let me call everyone I know who has ATT and tell them to chug data as hard as they can."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keep getting no service on my wife's iPhone and losing signal on my Z3c at my home in SE Michigan. That could explain it

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My coverage in SW Michigan has seemed spotty the last couple days as well. I'm glad it's not just an issue with my phone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Good thing there's only one "tri-state area", so we all know exactly which one you mean.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Powered Descent posted:

Good thing there's only one "tri-state area", so we all know exactly which one you mean.

The only one that matters.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Note that conspiracy theory nuts are out in full force:
http://resistancejournals.com/2015/07/15/breaking-cell-service-blackouts-as-jade-launches/

So there may be a whole lot of really stupid people trying to hammer ATT's network so that they can make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
"ATT is down? Hold on let me call everyone I know who has ATT and tell them to chug data as hard as they can."

What the gently caress...why do you know about this website? :stare:

This has got to be satirical...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

False flag mention made in the comments. I'm declaring this website legit and not satire. :tinfoil:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

False flag mention made in the comments. I'm declaring this website legit and not satire. :tinfoil:

Jesus Christ... :tinfoil: indeed. The scariest part about that website is that apparently 200,000+ people believe in it...

I had to delete the website from my history just in case Google Now decides to start showing me stuff from it...

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nope, but I'm in a satirical group with a lot of reformed conspiracy nuts, so we can have a good laugh over these things.

e: \/ http://www.subgenius.com/pam1/pamphlet_p1.html

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 17, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Nope, but I'm in a satirical group with a lot of reformed conspiracy nuts, so we can have a good laugh over these things.

Huh...that actually sounds kind of fun. :v: Apparently a lot of people were freaking out about this too as it was all over Facebook.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm currently with Virgin Mobile. I purchased an iPhone 5 through them a while ago - they had a decent deal on them - without considering the fact that they might have the phone locked to Sprint (which Virgin Mobile uses). I'm trying to switch to Cricket since it's a better deal and the consensus seems to be that they're pretty decent. I'd like to still use my iPhone 5 for a little longer with Cricket (it's A1429 so its compatible with CDMA and GSM), but I need to have the phone unlocked. I tried calling Virgin's customer service and they had no idea what I was talking about because their customer service is absolutely horrible. Any ideas on what I could do?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

So I'm currently with Virgin Mobile. I purchased an iPhone 5 through them a while ago - they had a decent deal on them - without considering the fact that they might have the phone locked to Sprint (which Virgin Mobile uses). I'm trying to switch to Cricket since it's a better deal and the consensus seems to be that they're pretty decent. I'd like to still use my iPhone 5 for a little longer with Cricket (it's A1429 so its compatible with CDMA and GSM), but I need to have the phone unlocked. I tried calling Virgin's customer service and they had no idea what I was talking about because their customer service is absolutely horrible. Any ideas on what I could do?

Of course customer service reps don't always know or follow the laws but...

Federal law says pre-paid carriers must be granted unlocks in order to provide service, so long as you're not currently under contract and so on. So Cricket can probably do it for you, if possible go into a store and have them do it.

Carriers were also supposed to abide by this but in my experience they "just so happened" not to tell their customer service reps and/or assume nobody will sue them but you can try:
https://community.virginmobile.com.au/t5/Phones-knowledge-base/How-to-unlock-your-phone-or-modem/ta-p/82

Verizon and Sprint both tried to say they couldn't unlock my phone. Cricket just asked my info and did it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

revdrkevind posted:

Of course customer service reps don't always know or follow the laws but...

Federal law says pre-paid carriers must be granted unlocks in order to provide service, so long as you're not currently under contract and so on. So Cricket can probably do it for you, if possible go into a store and have them do it.

Carriers were also supposed to abide by this but in my experience they "just so happened" not to tell their customer service reps and/or assume nobody will sue them but you can try:
https://community.virginmobile.com.au/t5/Phones-knowledge-base/How-to-unlock-your-phone-or-modem/ta-p/82

Verizon and Sprint both tried to say they couldn't unlock my phone. Cricket just asked my info and did it.

Pretty sure only the carrier that locked it can unlock it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I unlocked a phone for $2 using eBay in 10 minutes last week.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I unlocked a phone for $2 using eBay in 10 minutes last week.

Ah yes, I meant requesting a carrier unlock. The sellers on eBay sure, but I wouldn't go to an AT&T shop asking them to unlock my Sprint phone. They'd just look at me stupid and tell me to go to a Sprint store.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

SB35 posted:

Ah yes, I meant requesting a carrier unlock. The sellers on eBay sure, but I wouldn't go to an AT&T shop asking them to unlock my Sprint phone. They'd just look at me stupid and tell me to go to a Sprint store.

...even though any pre-paid seller can do this no problem.

...and AT&T is one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

I am referring to a carrier unlock. The sellers on eBay can unlock them for you and you don't have to deal with the carrier. I didn't want to deal with the long cycle time for AT&T and just had them do it for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Refurb Verizon (GSM Unlocked) First-gen Moto X 16gb is $100 today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item33a35606bb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Refurb Verizon (GSM Unlocked) First-gen Moto X 16gb is $100 today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item33a35606bb

This is an excellent cheap device for anyone using Verizon service or a Verizon mvno. But it won't get LTE on AT&T or TMo.