Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

nothing is a threat to you when you're dead. so in a sense, town wins every game

thats the town people, when they die the scum pillage the town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

quote this post and i'll tell you what cheese would go well with you as the wine

I am the cheese I am the best character on the show

EccoRaven posted:

the real question is, which townies have accepted Jesus Christ into their hearts? because they have the Eternal Victory.

*presses record* note to self, role that targets players and kills them at night but also changes their win condition to "die before the end of the game." "Angel SK?" *presses stop*

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

uranus posted:

so 50 years later after all the scum have died of old age, the town wins!!!!1

But the scum are already dead, last one got killed by the SK.

I like to imagine the scenario ending with a SK win because he lives just a moment longer than the dead scum. He's dead, too, but he died knowing that he won. And that's the greatest gift of all imo.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Quidnose posted:

quote this post and i'll tell you what cheese would go well with you as the wine

yes

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

chaoslord posted:

But the scum are already dead, last one got killed by the SK.

I like to imagine the scenario ending with a SK win because he lives just a moment longer than the dead scum. He's dead, too, but he died knowing that he won. And that's the greatest gift of all imo.

Isn't this how Snowbound ended up working out?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Quidnose posted:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm gonna have to change my future games' town wincons to "all threats to town have been eliminated and one townie is still alive," scum to "unassailable control of the vote," and sk to "when all scum and townies are dead." Still not perfect but I think I'll like it that way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Quote this post and I'll tell you which hockey player you are

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I mean I think "a player from this faction must still be alive by the end of the game" is an implied condition to every wincon. It's clunky as all get out and totally not necessary since any reasonable player expects that implied clause.

In the fifty years we've been doing mafia here this is one of (if not the?) first time(s) anyone has ever considered it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think I've had role PMs that explicitly called out "you don't have to be alive to fulfill this", but they would have been 3p, not town. I think the SK/scum situation is an "everybody loses" thing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anyway somebody add this to the wiki:

* [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727294 SWOLFIA (Your thread title contains invalid characters. Go back and fix it)] - (something) victory. Hosted by MMM Whatchya Say.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight make a game with me tia

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
who really cares if some players decide that they've won the game anyway. i did that once when cpig put a secret lynchbomb no one had knowledge of that killed me as scum in lylo. i won that game because i got the town lynched. not my fault the mod just randomly decided to kill me IM STILL BITTER ABOUT THAT GAME

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You could have just asked.

Tyler Bozak

Sidney Crosby

Mike Ribeiro

The kid from The Hockey Sweater

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 14, 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Runaktla posted:

I'm a dead ringer for Dustin Brown...

Patrick Sharp

Don Cherry

Note that Don Cherry isn't a player, mr revisor

t a s t e fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 14, 2015

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

BottleKnight make a game with me tia

like co-mods? I don't even know how that would work.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

like co-mods? I don't even know how that would work.

people collaborate on a game setup, exchanging ideas and stuff and then after a show of dominance, one of the mods fucks off while the other runs the game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I mean I think "a player from this faction must still be alive by the end of the game" is an implied condition to every wincon. It's clunky as all get out and totally not necessary since any reasonable player expects that implied clause.

In the fifty years we've been doing mafia here this is one of (if not the?) first time(s) anyone has ever considered it.

its not implied at all, it is just an assumption people are blindly making because it makes sense. The rules with regard to win-cons are clearly stated and meant to be taken literally, not altered on whim because it seems like it should be obvious.

Yeah it never comes up so it hasn't mattered yet, but it might if mods aren't more clear with their win-cons

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

JakeP posted:

its not implied at all, it is just an assumption people are blindly making because it makes sense. The rules with regard to win-cons are clearly stated and meant to be taken literally, not altered on whim because it seems like it should be obvious.

Yeah it never comes up so it hasn't mattered yet, but it might if mods aren't more clear with their win-cons

wincons have layers. like onions! onions have layers!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

people collaborate on a game setup, exchanging ideas and stuff and then after a show of dominance, one of the mods fucks off while the other runs the game

collaborations are tough but some folks have made them work in the past.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

One of the co-mods is always the Ringo.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

oh god what is that horrible avatar

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I have no problems with collabs and I think they're great. It's mainly the setup that needs collaborating on. After the setup is finished it only really takes one person to run a game provided it isn't a tremendous taste 75 player game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

it's baaaaaaaaack

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BottleKnight posted:

A trophy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mills are you going to give me that avatar if I don't put you at the middle of the graph? oh god

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

it is just an assumption people are [] making because it makes sense.

it's not actually necessary to legislate every possibility when everyone (not blindly but reasonably) assumes the same thing.

it's also implied that only players in a game can claim a victory - if you replaced out you don't get to say you won the game! gotta include that in role PMs, you know, just to be sure

BottleKnight posted:

ha ha mills is so funny

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I have a couple ~*secret buzzfeeds*~ left to do and imgur is totally crashing.

You are free to share your ~*secret buzzfeed*~ result or keep it to yourself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

You are free to share your ~*secret buzzfeed*~ result or keep it to yourself.
I will take mine to my grave. The only ones who will know about it are you, me, and God.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 14, 2015

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

it's not actually necessary to legislate every possibility when everyone (not blindly but reasonably) assumes the same thing.

it's also implied that only players in a game can claim a victory - if you replaced out you don't get to say you won the game! gotta include that in role PMs, you know, just to be sure

If a townie dies and town wins he doesn't lose

In games the rules should be clearly stated at all times. I am not finding some crazy loophole in the system, it is literally what the win-condition says, and being dead doesn't prevent town from winning.

Don't know where your replaced out analogy comes from it has nothign to do with this, of course if you remove yourself from the game and someone takes your place you don't win or lose you aren't involved in the game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
quote this post and i'll tell you what buzzfeed list you are

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Poorly worded win conditions are the worst :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Tremendous Taste posted:

conversely, the south will rise again

Quote this post and I'll tell you which hockey player you are

I'm all over this.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

I am not finding some crazy loophole in the system
except:

JakeP posted:

it is just an assumption people are [] making because it makes sense.

we don't need to codify universally-believed reasonable assumptions, not the least of which because it's super, super clunky and unnecessary.

JakeP posted:

of course if you remove yourself from the game and someone takes your place you don't win or lose you aren't involved in the game.
but that's not what it says jakep!! what if the player would have been the Town MVP but for the mod accidentally slipping some setup details to them (say, sending the wrong Night Result PM), so they had to get replaced for the integrity of the game. WHAT THEN JAKEP???

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Quote this and I will tell you what sport and position you are.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yeah why bother having clear language in games or anything when your intent is clear to yourself?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CCKeane posted:

uranus posted:

I want both of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

we don't need to codify universally-believed reasonable assumptions, not the least of which because it's super, super clunky and unnecessary.

Dont matter if it is a reasonable assumption the rules are clearly stated at the beginning of the game. Perhaps the moderator should be more clear if they don't want this kind of confusion. It really isn't that hard to clarify

EccoRaven posted:

but that's not what it says jakep!! what if the player would have been the Town MVP but for the mod accidentally slipping some setup details to them (say, sending the wrong Night Result PM), so they had to get replaced for the integrity of the game. WHAT THEN JAKEP???

lol then the integrity of the game was ruined the second the mod hosed up and had to replace someone who was playing very well, and the result is irellevant because the game is pretty much a null and void no contest being that the mod already ruined it for the players involved