Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's 15 printers too many.

The argument for having that many printers was of course "but they'd have to walk too far to get to one!". Guess how many of the staff are obese.

I am hoping that, as this was our first site to transition over to the new system, they are going to be able to figure out they don't really need so many loving printers to make this work, and future sites that go live won't have as many installed. The worst part is half those new printers are just consumer grade HPs so when something inevitable breaks I'll be sitting 1.5hrs away going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Anything that breaks in the next 14 months is because of your code.

"Printer stopped working, is it because of the change to the website, can we roll it back??????"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These days I have barely any issues with printers, video conferencing equipment however can :fuckoff:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sirotan posted:

The site now has 15 printers, for a staff of 20.

135 desktop printers for 128 staff here, 9 leased copiers too. We had someone print 30,000 pages last year.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And I thought we had it bad with 10 printers (7 personal, 3 MFPs) for an office of 60.

Our MFPs have printed well over half a million pages each in about 6 years.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
The company I came from had maybe 25 in an office of like 800, and my present office is 2 leased copiers for 40 people and one is really just for the admin staff up front. I cannot imagine having all those printers.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my favorite is when its a cardiology group full of obese as gently caress staff that need a printer at literally every desk because :effort: and eat catered mexican food 3 times a week.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
One of the departments here has 3 printers. All of them are not networked. Two are desktop models. One picks up the fax line first, and if that one is busy the one next to it picks it up. The big floor model they have is used exclusively for copies.

It has a fax card. The two desktop models are completely superfluous but they won't change anything. The two are "fax machines" and the floor model is a "copier". All three can perform both functions.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Collateral Damage posted:

And I thought we had it bad with 10 printers (7 personal, 3 MFPs) for an office of 60.

Our MFPs have printed well over half a million pages each in about 6 years.

That's cute, I have about 20 Lexmark T654s installed last year that just broke the million pages picked mark. (And a shitload more general use ones that are only in the low 200-300 thousands.)

Is there an emoticon for tree genocide? Because there should be.

:suicide:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Making slow but steady progress out of the well.

I have convinced the GM and sales manager to upgrade all Sales computers. Not only that, but sales members are being given a choice of desktop or laptop.

The reason we're upgrading them? The sales department is getting Office365 licenses since every person is using a different productivity software. They're currently running 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, OpenOffice, and LibraOffice. No one can share files, and half of them can't open files they receive from clients.

This is my first step to homogenizing our poo poo.

:siren:BIGGER NEWS THOUGH:siren:
GM is sitting down with me this afternoon to budget ROLLING EQUIPMENT UPGRADES from the upcoming budget year and on into the future. I've impressed upon him the need to have regular upgrades budgeted and he agrees. He has tasked me with coming up with some pricing and options. I'm putting an end to the CE running down to Office Depot and picking up whatever is on sale. However, the future is virtualization, and it's my next big project.

Anyways, I've been out of the loop on this. What's the going bread and butter desktop/laptop for a midsize business these days? I've always gone with the HP Pro microtowers in the past and haven't been disappointed.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 14, 2015

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
We use Lenovo desktops and they work fine, with the added bonus of Lenovo makes it easy to assemble driver cabs for deployment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
HP is fine, I've just found them to be generally overpriced compared to Lenovo or Dell. Quality is going to be roughly comparable between all of them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

This is my first step to homogenizing our poo poo.

:feelsgood:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Dell is probably the least pain in the rear end to procure

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Go with Dell or Lenovo whichever you can get better pricing with. They just make driver management for deployments easier. How is all of this sitting with your boss? Is he worried about your new responsibilities or does he just not care at all and wants to be lazy? You're making good strides, keep up the good work!

Also do your homework on virtualization, if you think you're going to save money just start looking at some of the rip off prices for thin clients. Then consider the licensing costs, it can all add up quick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Isn't his boss on vacation again? He is probably going to come back to find more work done than he has done in years, and not be able to do anything about it because the bigwigs are happy.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How is all of this sitting with your boss?

I can tell he's getting annoyed. But he's also sitting back and letting me do, most likely with the intention of watching me crash and burn. He's such a smug, insufferable prick when he's right about something, so I make damned sure I've got my facts straight and the proper backing from management. He's coming to the meeting today to discuss budgeting upgrades, so I fully expect to be snuffed out as a supporting player as my boss proceeds to call our TigerDirect rep to say "just throw the 20 cheapest computers you sell in a box. Also knock off 30% because do you know who I am."

I WILL be throwing out my support for a vendor solution with either Dell, Lenovo, or HP. Probably Dell, since their Optiplex 3020 is a whole $15 cheaper than the equivalent from the others.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Isn't his boss on vacation again?

He just got back yesterday. I spent the week straightening up the shop, and had it looking great. I went to the doctor this morning with my wife and, by the time I got in at 10:30, he has already got the entire shop absolutely swimming in open boxes, packing material, a broken microwave, a dead monitor, 30 dead flourescent bulbs, a stack of boxes of equipment we won't do anything with for another two months, and my entire workbench is in complete disarray after he soldered one cable and apparently needed every tool in the shop RIGHT THERE. Even something as simple as keeping a clean and organized working environment is a Sisyphus-esque struggle.

I have a bin clearly labelled "Phillips-head Screwdrivers" and there's a pair of pliers in there :mad:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a bin clearly labelled "Phillips-head Screwdrivers" and there's a pair of pliers in there :mad:

lol he is so loving with you

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

lol he is so loving with you

I doubt it. There's a bin next to it labelled "Tape Measures," and at least once a week he asks me where the tape measures are.

As I type this, he turned the soldering iron on to 700 degrees and then went outside to smoke.

I think he's just not the sharpest apple.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A call came in from the field, a PC is displaying a CPU fan error at POST. The user says they're really busy for the next few weeks, and is it okay if they just keep using it and send it up at the end of the month?

At least they actually called and asked before just doing that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

larchesdanrew posted:

I doubt it. There's a bin next to it labelled "Tape Measures," and at least once a week he asks me where the tape measures are.

As I type this, he turned the soldering iron on to 700 degrees and then went outside to smoke.

He is trying to die, and maybe he wants you to kill him.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

No, he's loving with you.

You should write all this up and handed into your boss' boss before annual review.

Seriously, how the gently caress is this guy still hired here?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

larchesdanrew posted:

I think this is the first time I actually laughed at your tales.
LOL.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh boy, causing a fire hazard?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

this is the kind of thing that inspires an OSHA safety bulletin video with the CG people getting blown up

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Migishu posted:

Seriously, how the gently caress is this guy still hired here?

Nepotism, more than likely.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Probably organizational inertia more than anything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
:yotj:

http://tindeck.com/listen/ksvpm

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Oh boy, a job position!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

good job leaving that number uncensored, I'm gonna call them and say my name's Anthony and I'm a ratfucker

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

good job leaving that number uncensored, I'm gonna call them and say my name's Anthony and I'm a ratfucker
Thanks

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Please do the needful and return his call.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aunt Beth posted:

Please do the needful and return his call.
I think Segfault's got it covered

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Even something as simple as keeping a clean and organized working environment is a Sisyphus-esque struggle.

Sisyphean :eng101:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bitesize posted:

In home versions too? I tried setting up applocker on a win10 test machine earlier, and it wasn't available in the SKU then. Has it been changed now?

I'm on the newest Win 10 Pro Inside Preview and I don't see any AppLocker yet.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

drat it, I originally wrote that but wasn't 100% sure some nerd wouldn't come in and correct how wrong I was, so I changed it. Then look what you did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sirotan posted:

The argument for having that many printers was of course "but they'd have to walk too far to get to one!". Guess how many of the staff are obese.

I am hoping that, as this was our first site to transition over to the new system, they are going to be able to figure out they don't really need so many loving printers to make this work, and future sites that go live won't have as many installed. The worst part is half those new printers are just consumer grade HPs so when something inevitable breaks I'll be sitting 1.5hrs away going ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I'm not actually sure if my entire university had fifteen public printers. I only ever managed to find about three places which had about two or three in each.
I mean, they were big printers, but if you wanted to print anything you had to go either to the library, or find one of the largely unadvertised printing rooms located in such convenient and sensible places as "the second floor of the cinema building accessible only through the backdoor of said building because the main door leading to that section is card locked staff only." or "in a corridor at the back of the art building next to the traditional art studios which are the only part of the building with no computers in them."

Also each room contains a random assortment of colour, black and white, and nonfunctional printers, colour printers can technically print black and white but still charge you for colour prints.

Not actually sure if our IT techs were on drugs or deliberately trolling the students but eitherway it was nice occasionally to be able to choose printers when everyone else got stuck in the library.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roargasm posted:

135 desktop printers for 128 staff here, 9 leased copiers too. We had someone print 30,000 pages last year.

We're printer happy right now. The long term plan is to phase out everything except for the big MFDs. By printer happy I mean there are admins with two printers in their cubes. Two people in an office with a printer each. It's insane.

The really good news is that that means we lose all responsibility for printers. Unless the MFD team keeps loving up fixes and blowing off tickets, then we'll get stuck with those.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's 15 printers too many.

I just realized we don't even have a printer for my team and I don't even know where the nearest one is since we moved into the new building 4 months ago. I can't even remember when the last time I physically printed something. We've been using either Word docs or PDFs. Which is nice, because we can do revisions with comments on the Docs or annotate the PDFs and then redistribute to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
There are two types of tickets I've grown to hate:

1. "x is not working / is having a problem" - When I bring my car to the mechanic, I generally don't just point at it and go "somethings wrong". If you want something looked at, I need details. Does it not turn on? Does it turn off unexpectedly? For the love of god, more information.

2. "x isn't working correctly, this has been going on for weeks" - Why would you not say something right away when something important is not working? If you don't tell me something isn't working properly I'm not going to know unless I'm actively monitoring it, and I don't have time to babysit 200+ PCs and a roughly similar number of other devices ranging from printers to servers to streaming devices. Worse, a few weeks is a long time: now other things might be compounding the issue making it harder to unravel the cause from the noise. If I don't have time to fix it that second I'll let you know, but knowing about it right away allows me to better manage my time and resources to focus on important tasks as well.

Tell me what your problem is in detail, and tell me right away if it's something you can't resolve yourself. This shouldn't be hard. :(

• Locked thread