Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think the other thing about US currency is it comes from two different places. The federal reserve issues the paper currency, but the Treasury department issues the coinage. Lol if two departments would ever play nice together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
What I think is crazy is that we've had dollar coins since, what, the 1970s? I know there were earlier ones, too, but we've had new coins continuously minted since the Eisenhower dollar, I think. And yet people still don't use them. The only time I ever see them is in vending machines at the post office (because the amount of change involved is big enough to merit it). I remember getting Susan B. Anthony dollars as change at the post office when I was a kid, even. But people just aren't interested.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

A good watch A+++

pookel posted:

Dollar coins would be a big improvement though, imo. Up here in North Dakota we were big fans of the Sakakawea* dollar coin, but it didn't really catch on. :(

* NOT Sacajawea. She was a local girl, dammit, and we spell her name correctly, as it was pronounced. There's even a lake named after her here.

I'm in Winnipeg, so I head to North Dakota pretty much any time I need to do some cross border shopping and I always get a wad of smelly one dollar notes instead of coins. Are the cashiers detecting I am not Norwegian enough to be a local and issuing me paper currency to keep the coins for themselves?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I don't want to carry a bunch of loving coins around.

I barely carry any cash these days anyway, but having a few small bills is handy, while I literally never take change anywhere but the bank or a coinstar.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

pookel posted:

New $100 bill:

The repetitive insistence of the word SPECIMEN is kind of unnerving.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm in Winnipeg, so I head to North Dakota pretty much any time I need to do some cross border shopping and I always get a wad of smelly one dollar notes instead of coins. Are the cashiers detecting I am not Norwegian enough to be a local and issuing me paper currency to keep the coins for themselves?
Yeah TBH I think people around here tended to collect the coins instead of actually using them, so you don't see them at stores so much.

By the way, your city is pretty awesome.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pookel posted:

What I think is crazy is that we've had dollar coins since, what, the 1970s? I know there were earlier ones, too, but we've had new coins continuously minted since the Eisenhower dollar, I think. And yet people still don't use them. The only time I ever see them is in vending machines at the post office (because the amount of change involved is big enough to merit it). I remember getting Susan B. Anthony dollars as change at the post office when I was a kid, even. But people just aren't interested.

The weird thing is that Dollar coins should have started catching on after vending machine soda prices went above $1 per item, but vending machine manufacturers installed bill readers that don't work half the time instead of upgrading any of the coin mechanisms to accept $1 coins.

I guess the problem is solving itself as we're at the point where card readers are becoming more and more common.

Cash will never go away, but I personally don't keep much cash or change on me these days since I'm able to get by on nothing but card transactions.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

pookel posted:

I used to use them for tolls before the widespread implementation of ezpass (and similar systems.) $10-20 in dollar coins easily fit into the change tray in my car and were much easier to use than bills when you're driving.

Now the only time I encounter them is at a coin operated car wash near where I live that uses them instead of quarters.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Aphrodite posted:

There's also charge cards which are like credit cards but need to be paid in full every month. I don't know if those are still a thing though.
Corporate cards are often in the form of a charge card. Here in Sweden, it's common for them to have an unlimited credit limit and a >1 month payment window.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I remember the last time I went to the states I was excited near the end since my wallet was bursting with cash; turns out I had like $30 in dollar bills.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

robodex posted:

I remember the last time I went to the states I was excited near the end since my wallet was bursting with cash; turns out I had like $30 in dollar bills.

In the US, it's traditional to go to the strip club in situations like these

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Last Chance posted:

In the US, it's traditional to go to the strip club in situations like these

I'm gay and was in the middle of rural wisconsin so I doubt I would have had much fun :smith:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

robodex posted:

I'm gay and was in the middle of rural wisconsin so I doubt I would have had much fun :smith:
Rural Wisconsin? You wouldn't have had much fun as a straight dude, either. Cheap liquor would have been a better bet.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I think the last place I remember seeing one of those ancient credit card things was in an equally ancient Rally's commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcExSzZF_h0

m2pt5 has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Jul 14, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

If we got rid of the $1 bill we would have to tip our strippers with $5's

Are you saying your mother doesn't deserve a five-dollar tip?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

robodex posted:

I think it goes hand in hand with the tipping culture. You lose them as fast as you gain them. When I went at some point I just started trailing bills like a cartoon millionaire.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Zonekeeper posted:

The weird thing is that Dollar coins should have started catching on after vending machine soda prices went above $1 per item, but vending machine manufacturers installed bill readers that don't work half the time instead of upgrading any of the coin mechanisms to accept $1 coins.

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/57_114/Dollar-Fight-Is-Paper-Vs-Metal-213304-1.html

Of course, lobbying :suicide:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

SLOSifl posted:

I don't want to carry a bunch of loving coins around.

I barely carry any cash these days anyway, but having a few small bills is handy, while I literally never take change anywhere but the bank or a coinstar.

Stop being such a drat baby that you might have to carry up to four (4) coins in your precious raw denim jorts.

US money is getting more colourful and visually interesting but I wish we'd go whole hog and have bright neon colours and polymer notes. And maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never encountered a soda machine that wouldn't take my dollar coins at value.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
All the vending machines around here have card swipers now :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Time to design a stick-on card skimmer to put on vending machines that don't yet have card readers.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

cobalt impurity posted:

US money is getting more colourful and visually interesting but I wish we'd go whole hog and have bright neon colours and polymer notes. And maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never encountered a soda machine that wouldn't take my dollar coins at value.
I've never seen a pop machine that would take dollar coins at all. :( I wish.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pookel posted:

I've never seen a pop machine that would take dollar coins at all. :( I wish.

On the machine thing, I think a part of the problem is that we've had several different sizes and metal compositions over the years. Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters have stayed the same size/weight since at least the early 20th century yet we've seen 3 completely different dollar shapes/sizes since the 70s alone. (The old Ike dollars, the Susan B. Anthony dollars, and the Sacajawea/Presidential dollars.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

robodex posted:

You would think that wouldn't you...

http://clubfly.com/venue/905/oz_wausau.html

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The reason dollar coins never caught on is because Americans just love, love, love hoarding the drat things. Those and half dollars people just buy up, stuff in a jar, and never spend, ever. The reason people hoard them is because they're uncommon but they're uncommon because people hoard them. Welp.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The reason dollar coins never caught on is because Americans just love, love, love hoarding the drat things. Those and half dollars people just buy up, stuff in a jar, and never spend, ever. The reason people hoard them is because they're uncommon but they're uncommon because people hoard them. Welp.

I'd bet people would stop that poo poo real quick if $1 bills weren't around. In the current setup $1 bills are "Normal Dollars" and the coins are these weird things you don't see very often because nobody keeps them in the change drawers and machines don't take them.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Zonekeeper posted:

I'd bet people would stop that poo poo real quick if $1 bills weren't around. In the current setup $1 bills are "Normal Dollars" and the coins are these weird things you don't see very often because nobody keeps them in the change drawers and machines don't take them.

Same thing happens with the $2 bills. I currently have one in my wallet that I've had for at least 3 years now, don't ever see myself spending it, just have it. A friend of mine was given 100 $2 bills for his 18th birthday and when he would go to spend them he would get 1 of 3 reactions. IDK where to put this, sticks it with the $20s. What is this, it must be a counterfeit. Or no issue at all. The last rarely happened at all.
A few times I was given a dollar coin in place of a quarter for change (supposed to get $0.27 back, was actually given $1.02), so that was always a nice surprise as I walked out of the store.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

drgnwr1 posted:

A few times I was given a dollar coin in place of a quarter for change (supposed to get $0.27 back, was actually given $1.02), so that was always a nice surprise as I walked out of the store.

And this is why the Susan B. Anthony dollar flopped so hard. It was so visually and physically similar to a Quarter that this kind of thing happened all the time.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zonekeeper posted:

Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters have stayed the same size/weight since at least the early 20th century yet we've seen 3 completely different dollar shapes/sizes since the 70s alone. (The old Ike dollars, the Susan B. Anthony dollars, and the Sacajawea/Presidential dollars.)

Counter example. The half dollar. Same composition and size history as the quarter for as long as the quarter. :colbert:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Coins are annoying as hell, why would we want to add a $1 coin?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Counter example. The half dollar. Same composition and size history as the quarter for as long as the quarter. :colbert:

Much larger than the quarter, though. I imagine manufacturing a machine that takes them is prohibitively expensive. Same applies to the Ike dollar, but that one's first replacement failed for other reasons I mentioned a few posts ago.

Jmcrofts posted:

Coins are annoying as hell, why would we want to add a $1 coin?

We've had $1 coins for ages. The problem is that nobody uses them.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Zonekeeper posted:

On the machine thing, I think a part of the problem is that we've had several different sizes and metal compositions over the years. Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters have stayed the same size/weight since at least the early 20th century yet we've seen 3 completely different dollar shapes/sizes since the 70s alone. (The old Ike dollars, the Susan B. Anthony dollars, and the Sacajawea/Presidential dollars.)
That's not really true though—the Sacajawea/"Presidential" dollars were specifically designed so they could be used in vending machines that accepted SBAs, and I doubt anyplace outside of Las Vegas ever had machines in any quantity that accepted Ikes in the first place. They SBA and its descendants are all just too close in size/weight to quarters.

When I visited the UK in the early '80s they had just rolled out the pound coin. It's just a hair bigger than the U.S. nickel but it's thick, which gave it an decent heft—it actually feels like a larger-denomination coin in your hand. Something like that might have done better over here, but there's no way the vending machine people would retrofit for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coins last significantly longer than bills, so they're cheaper in the long run. I have a couple of coins right here that were minted in 1990 and have presumably been in regular circulation for 25 years, through pockets, wallets, cash registers, vending machines and so on. They're a little bit scuffed, but still perfectly legible and usable, even in picky vending machines.

Coins can last much longer than that, but our current coin series was introduced starting in 1989. I do have some old-rear end British pence coins somewhere, that I got while I was in Scotland a couple of years ago. I think they're from as far back as the late 1970s.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Jul 14, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

:eng101: The Sacajawea dollars were specifically designed to be identical to Susan B Anthony dollars in terms of density, size, and electrical properties, so all automated coin machines would automatically work with the new coins.

One of the biggest problems was developing an alloy with the right material properties that also looked good. A lot of the ones that they discovered first just had an ugly reddish tint, rather than the new golden color.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I was in NYC in 2000 and bought a train tickey to Jersey from a machine with a $20.

it gave me $13 change in Sacawakawegas. people in stores really didn't like it when I tried to spend them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Coins last significantly longer than bills, so they're cheaper in the long run. I have a couple of coins right here that were minted in 1990 and have presumably been in regular circulation for 25 years, through pockets, wallets, cash registers, vending machines and so on. They're a little bit scuffed, but still perfectly legible and usable, even in picky vending machines.
1990?

Australian 20c pieces because that makes up most of my coin box. Only took a minute of digging to find a coin from 1974, 1975, 1982 and 1984.
Honestly most coins you'll get these days are early 2000's stuff but it's not uncommon to get coins from the 70's and 80's.

How long does the average dollar bill last?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
In NY train ticket and subway card machines give change in sacajaweas, so that was a source of dollar coins but now like 99% of people pay with a card rather than cash so it doesn't really work to get them circulating.

I like them, replace the dollar bill with $1 and $2 coins and just obliterate the penny.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Problem #1: Dollar coins are often hoarded because their rarity leads to people not using them
Problem #2: Pennies are often thrown away as garbage because their value is so low
Solution: A penny is now worth a dollar. Boom!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Only because our current coin series was introduced between 1989 and 1993 ;)

quote:

How long does the average dollar bill last?

Supposedly 2 to 4 years. So at most a tenth of how long a coin will last.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tunicate posted:

:eng101: The Sacajawea dollars were specifically designed to be identical to Susan B Anthony dollars in terms of density, size, and electrical properties, so all automated coin machines would automatically work with the new coins.

One of the biggest problems was developing an alloy with the right material properties that also looked good. A lot of the ones that they discovered first just had an ugly reddish tint, rather than the new golden color.

I was completely unaware! So these are basically the treasury doing what they should have in the first place and making the coins a different color. That explains why it took them until 1999 to release them.

Still, the damage was done by the original run of SBAs, and I don't recall ever seeing a machine that took SBAs in the first place so that particular property of the new dollars doesn't seem very useful. (Granted I don't live near any toll roads, where I imagine dollar coins got the most use.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My uncle tips with a few Sacajaweas at restaurants as a way for servers to remember him. He tends to get pretty good service around town because of it (he also puts a tip on his card, but always throws 4 or 5 Sacajawea coins down as well).

Personally, I don't like carrying around change. It's just more annoying poo poo jangling around in my pockets. My truck console, however, is loaded with change, and is used regularly at drive-thru's and car washes.