Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

9 chart making tips that will have your audiences swooning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

Quote this and I will tell you what sport and position you are.

this is good

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mills false flag on this one

if not can I have an av cert bb <3

CCKeane posted:

I'm all over this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUhxVG9_zwA

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Damnit LUTR I wear trashy bright clothes, not dark depressing trench coats.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCKeane posted:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

lol then the integrity of the game was ruined the second the mod hosed up and had to replace someone who was playing very well, and the result is irellevant because the game is pretty much a null and void no contest being that the mod already ruined it for the players involved
lol

Night 9
"Okay merk your night result: you know Keane is scum!"
"But... I'm a doctor."
"aw nerts. time to destroy the entire game, GOSH I am such a boner!!!!!"

^- things that never happen

Act 2
*Hal walks in*
"Hey I have been reading this game and would be fine replacing merk for the 3-person exlo. Since we know Tao is the cop as long as he investigated one of merk or keane it should be a slam dunk victory."
"NO, THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME IS COMPROMISED, THIS IS THE END, MULLIGAN."

^- u irl jakep

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I can't imagine making a mistake as a moderator

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
jake are you a logic computer

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Parallel bars gymnast, for your youth.

chaoslord posted:

I want both of these

Utility infielder in baseball

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is good

Professional Wrestling Heel a la Damien Sandow

poo poo talker in Cricket

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

yes please

Max posted:

Damnit LUTR I wear trashy bright clothes, not dark depressing trench coats.

pretend it's painted orange and the pants are violet and the fedora is lime green

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCKeane posted:

poo poo talker in Cricket

:swoon:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EccoRaven posted:

lol

Night 9
"But... I'm a doctor."

Sadly, this is what led to me shutting down the second Battlestar game. I made some really dumb mistakes as a mod, one of which was exactly that scenario.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tremendous Taste posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mills false flag on this one

if not can I have an av cert bb <3

it's not a big deal but thank you.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Look Under The Rock posted:

yes please

pretend it's painted orange and the pants are violet and the fedora is lime green

That's close but my gigantic head makes wearing a hat that actually fits very difficult, so I don't own any.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

yes please

Half of a tennis doubles team, lobbing balls a la Orin Incandenza.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hello Mafia thread

gently caress, it's noon and I'm just waking up. I feel like eight piles of rear end.

How is the day for everyone else?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

wiki regarding trash talking, or "sledging," in cricket posted:

West Indian batsman Viv Richards was notorious for punishing bowlers that dared to sledge him. So much so, that many opposing captains banned their players from the practice. However in a county game against Glamorgan, Greg Thomas attempted to sledge him after he had played and missed at several balls in a row. He informed Richards: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering." Richards hammered the next delivery out of the cricket grounds and into the nearby river Taff. Turning to the bowler, he commented: "Greg, you know what it looks like, now go and find it."

quote:

One incident, as recalled by Hughes, was when he was bowling to Pakistan batsman Javed Miandad, who informed the overweight bowler that he "was too fat to play cricket" and that he "should be a bus driver". After being taunted for about five overs, Hughes decided to bowl around the wicket, and bowled a bouncer getting Javed caught at gully. As he was celebrating with his teammates, Hughes stuck his hand out in Javed's path, and yelled, "tickets please!".

lol

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my neck hurts

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Hello Mafia thread

gently caress, it's noon and I'm just waking up. I feel like eight piles of rear end.

How is the day for everyone else?

I worked a 3 hour day and I'm getting paid for 8.

SO PRETTY GREAT.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

jake are you a logic computer

To a point. Especially with regard to games and game-theory though. Rules are established for a reason, and meant to be taken literally, so the person designing said rules should ensure they are clear and not open for any strange interpretation

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I mean having clear win conditions is important but burdening them or making them clunky and weird to account for a possibility that both A) essentially never happens and B) something everyone assumes anyway is not only unnecessary but might actually cause the player to think "this is different, I wonder what else is different about this game" and act differently as a result.

JakeP posted:

not open for any strange interpretation

you're deliberately looking for a strange interpretation, nobody actually thinks

you're

ugh

I'm done.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

lol

Night 9
"But... I'm a doctor."

^- things that never happen

Act 2
*Hal walks in*
"Hey I have been reading this game and would be fine replacing merk for the 3-person exlo. Since we know Tao is the cop as long as he investigated one of merk or keane it should be a slam dunk victory."
"NO, THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME IS COMPROMISED, THIS IS THE END, MULLIGAN."

^- u irl jakep

I get very upset when I put a lot of effort into a game, and get screwed over by questionable modding decisions, as you know from personal experience with me

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

To a point. Especially with regard to games and game-theory though. Rules are established for a reason, and meant to be taken literally, so the person designing said rules should ensure they are clear and not open for any strange interpretation

I don't think you are wrong, but I do think that this might be a bit strict of an approach to take with casual games usually ran for the first time by one person.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JakeP posted:

game-theory though.

I was annoyed that the outcome to Trip's game wasn't the Nash equilibrium :v:.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

I get very upset when I put a lot of effort into a game, and get screwed over by questionable modding decisions, as you know from personal experience with me

that's decidedly though a Personal Problem. in the scenario I described literally nobody but you (and maybe hypothetical-merk) would be annoyed by the replacement, but conversely everyone else would be fine with the replacement.

it's just not a thing reasonable people think. trying to poke holes into it isn't helpful since if you're willing to toss out reasonableness literally anything could be possible.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Speaking of modding, I was going to do a Mad Men themed mafia game based around what I speculated would happen in the last season. Sadly I got distracted and the show is over now, so my dream of the town fighting against Harry and the computer is now dead.

Instead I'm going to justify the three years of torture I put myself through in grad school and do film/photo themed games. Please vote for which of these topics you would like to see first. First to 3 wins:

Samurai Film Mafia
Propaganda Film Mafia
History of Photography Mafia

Hopefully these are compelling topics that you will enjoy talking about as much as me, because let me assure you, I cannot stop talking about these things in my academic life.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

history of photos

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
clear rules and guidelines serve to make the game easier, not more difficult. it hurts nothing to set clear expectations and interactions beforehand to help facilitate play.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

that's decidedly though a Personal Problem. in the scenario I described literally nobody but you (and maybe hypothetical-merk) would be annoyed by the replacement, but conversely everyone else would be fine with the replacement.

it's just not a thing reasonable people think. trying to poke holes into it isn't helpful since if you're willing to toss out reasonableness literally anything could be possible.

Im not trying to portray myself as a reasonable person, I am hyper-competitive, and always do my best to put an extreme ammount of effort into any mafia game I play, so yeah I take it more seriously than other players sometimes when a mod mistake minimizes my great efforts. I understand that I am the minority but I dont think that makes any of my opinions with regard to this any less valid

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

~*SECRET BUZZFEED*~

I'm gonna be on mobile for most of the day. Quote this post and I will PM you a (probably table breaking) picture from my phone that represents you.

I wonder how this will work.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Philosophy Class you are.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Philosophy Class you are.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This isn't even hard, you're that loving guy.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
should I read infinite jest?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

This isn't even hard, you're that loving guy.

nah I'm the guy who posts on forums all class but does well anyway

BottleKnight posted:

should I read infinite jest?

yes, totally do this lol

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hahaha Yeeessss