Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

The nice thing about our current inundation of lovely prestige dramas is that I don't have to pretend to watch any of them to keep up with my friends.

Friend 1: "Did you watch last night's Into the Badlands?"
Friend 2: "No, did you watch last night's Banshee?"
Friend 1: "No. So, uhhh..."
Me: "Check out the bazongas on that babe!"
Friend 2: "gently caress, I'd like to smother my dick in those bad boys."
*high fives all around*

Sounds like a delightful group.

and no, precision. Because Zooey Deschanel has always been good and the haters were just people who wanted to be seen as too cool for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

dunno poo poo about no new girl but

Bown posted:

the haters were just people who wanted to be seen as too cool for school.
this is a lot of posters in a nutshell

"what you like is DUMB"

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Sober posted:

Didn't I heard they changed the format this year for SYTYCD? Instantly made me want to not want to watch it from what I remember, but can't seem to recall what they wanted to do.

They've got two "teams" a street team and a stage team. But I think it's one from each team that gets voted off each week, so more like two concurrent competitions rather than stage VS street. That may change as the number reduce though. And probably only one over all winner.

So only real week to week difference it's made so far is stage dancers are doing the stage routines together and street are doing the street routines. No complaints on the format change from me so far, perhaps we can expect a higher standard of dancing rather than seeing people out of their comfort zone.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

precision posted:

Is it really so bad that Zooey Deschanel is my favorite part of New Girl? I'm in season 2 now.

I like Nick the best of the non-Jess characters.

Nope, people give Zooey D a lot of poo poo in the first season for being overly twee but by the second it's pretty much turned into an ensemble comedy where everyone can hold their own. Some of her bits are the hardest I've laughed at the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sometimes Schmidt's "isn't it funny how much of a gross douche I am?" is actually just gross or douchey instead of funny.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

MeKeV posted:

They've got two "teams" a street team and a stage team. But I think it's one from each team that gets voted off each week, so more like two concurrent competitions rather than stage VS street. That may change as the number reduce though. And probably only one over all winner.

So only real week to week difference it's made so far is stage dancers are doing the stage routines together and street are doing the street routines. No complaints on the format change from me so far, perhaps we can expect a higher standard of dancing rather than seeing people out of their comfort zone.
Hmm, not really a fan. Kinda liked seeing dancers out of their comfort zones which was what made some of the previous seasons so fun to watch. Especially when some of the tap dancers or self-taught hip hop dancers did something rad that's not tap for example. I'm guessing stage is basically contemporary/ballet/tap/ballroom all lumped together in this case? And no pairings then? At least not yet?

Maybe I'll give it a spin but I even hated they had a top 10 that one time which wasn't even that drastic of a format change.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

I don't for one second believe you have friends.

Bazonga!

Bown posted:

and no, precision. Because Zooey Deschanel has always been good and the haters were just people who wanted to be seen as too cool for school.

I like her in New Girl and I liked her in Elf but I can't think of anything else I've enjoyed that featured her and I think her music is awful.
Also, I have never been or aspired to be cool.

precision posted:

Sometimes Schmidt's "isn't it funny how much of a gross douche I am?" is actually just gross or douchey instead of funny.

I don't think Schmidt is supposed to be viewed as a positive role model for anyone.
Then again, I didn't think the same thing about Barney Stinson, but have known people that definitely seemed to view him that way.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 14, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Wait til you get to season 4. This was genuinely the reason I stopped watching. It stopped becoming comical and just got creepy, and it almost ended up affecting every other character to the point where they were all hosed-up perverts.

Well also the really really lovely "big bag of meth" episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I like her in New Girl and I liked her in Elf but I can't think of anything else I've enjoyed that featured her and I think her music is awful.
Also, I have never been or aspired to be cool.

You never saw Zooey Deschenel in The Search for a Homo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHiwhjbKK0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Well also the really really lovely "big bag of meth" episode.

If this means that somebody hosed up the concept of "Zooey Deschanel does a bunch of meth" then just, holy crap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

You never saw Zooey Deschenel in The Search for a Homo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHiwhjbKK0

That was still not the best thing in a show where monkeys come out of witch titty tattoos and a dog shapeshifts into a black man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Irish Joe posted:

The nice thing about our current inundation of lovely prestige dramas is that I don't have to pretend to watch any of them to keep up with my friends.

*high fives all around*

banshee owns you idiot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well this is objectively terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sZmD-NzTk

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I have never seen a pair of glasses so fetishized.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TV's Chuck nooooo

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cautiously optimistic here.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They do a nice job balancing terrible-looking new content with callbacks built around the laughable notion that anybody has nostalgia for Heroes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

They do a nice job balancing terrible-looking new content with callbacks built around the laughable notion that anybody has nostalgia for Heroes.

The whole reboot is based on that notion.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

And the whole idea of the reboot is pretty laughable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Were they special glasses in some way? I thought they were just glasses. Why was someone delivering him his old glasses?

Also, holy poo poo that looks terrible.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
There's actually a lot more returning cast members than I was expecting.

All the more reason for it to suck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Oh boy. It's Mohinder everybody :geno:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

It's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Oh boy. It's Mohinder everybody :geno:

I literally laughed out loud when Micah was revealed. Like, who the hell cares about Micah?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hcreight posted:

I think only HRG is returning, the rest are cameos but drat if they don't take up most of the time in the trailer.

I don't trust Tim Kring at all to do anything right. Future Hiro was awesome, so is that supposed to be future Hiro again or is that present Hiro but halfway badass?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

It's not a reboot, it's a sequel.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sober posted:

I think only HRG is returning, the rest are cameos but drat if they don't take up most of the time in the trailer.

I don't trust Tim Kring at all to do anything right. Future Hiro was awesome, so is that supposed to be future Hiro again or is that present Hiro but halfway badass?

At some point, yesterday's future Hiro becomes present Hiro. We may be at that point? I can't remember any dates from the first series.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

At some point, yesterday's future Hiro becomes present Hiro. We may be at that point? I can't remember any dates from the first series.
I got the impression super competent fluent in English ninja Hiro was a product of Sylar taking over the world or whatever that apocalyptic timeline was in S1. They prevented it so I assume that he had to reason to visit the prime timeline to warn himself or Peter or whatever happened in S1.

Not entirely sure what they plan on doing with him here.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

I got the impression super competent fluent in English ninja Hiro was a product of Sylar taking over the world or whatever that apocalyptic timeline was in S1. They prevented it so I assume that he had to reason to visit the prime timeline to warn himself or Peter or whatever happened in S1.

Not entirely sure what they plan on doing with him here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Misfit is a pretty cool show (up to episode 5)

those kids are idiots

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

Misfit is a pretty cool show (up to episode 5)

those kids are idiots

Wait till you meet Rudy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Actually that looks far better than I was expecting. Dare I say it might even be "decent"?!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

whowhatwhere posted:

I have never seen a pair of glasses so fetishized.

I laughed my rear end off at the manila envelope with the glasses inside, this is gonna somehow manage to be dumber than the original series.
The only thing this has going for it is that there will be no Claire and no Sylar, since they have actual careers now.

I hope you yelled "NISAANBASAAH" at the end shot of Hiro, because you know I did.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

precision posted:

Actually that looks far better than I was expecting. Dare I say it might even be "decent"?!
You're in Couch Chat, if you have nothing mean to say, say nothing at all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Irish Joe posted:

*high fives all around*

You uh. You should probably watch Banshee. It's an action show with lots of gore and nudity, not a prestige drama.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I literally laughed out loud when Micah was revealed. Like, who the hell cares about Micah?

Micah was the only non-Petrelli character my wife remembered, because he made an ATM give him all its money one time and she wished she could do that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I said when I posted it in the Heroes thread that footage looks better than anything that ever aired during the first go around but that still doesn't convince me it will be good at all. It does look like they've gotten over their phobia of making a show about people with superpowers and actually having them do something with them though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

As I said when I posted it in the Heroes thread that footage looks better than anything that ever aired during the first go around but that still doesn't convince me it will be good at all. It does look like they've gotten over their phobia of making a show about people with superpowers and actually having them do something with them though.
Well most people only tune into watch superhero shows these days to watch them use their powers anyway. It's not like Heroes ever had any good character work and they were really gun shy about using their powers.

I mean No Ordinary Family was more enjoyable to watch than Heroes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They used their powers all the time.

Just as long as there was a door being held shut between them and the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 1 of Heroes was actually the first show I ever binged watched on Netflix :unsmith:

• Locked thread