Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

MagicCube posted:

I haven't watched Bellator in ages, but that hairline looks very familiar. Is that THE BARN CAT?

the one and only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the one and only

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That Barn Cat

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
When I think accuracy, I think Anderson.

He waits for the right moment and then just goes straight through the guard and hits on the button.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
While watching 189 this weekend I was trying to watch the footwork and practice where I was watching in the striking exchanges. Its still hard for me.

That being said, I did notice in R1 of Lawler/Rory II that Lawler's footwork seemed to be stifling the offence Rory might have tried to put out by keeping his lead leg on the outside. Is that an accurate interpretation of how that unfolded?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Sort of, but it cost him the first round. He was trying to step outside and land a left hand like he usually does but Rory was prepared for it. Most of Rory's camp was probably practicing this. Every time Lawler stopped fighting for position he ate a snap kick or a jab which kept Rory out of danger and let him rack up points.

At the end of the first, Lawler switched it up and began stepping inside to land power jabs and lead hooks. Rory clearly wasn't comfortable with this and he spends most of that round and a bit of the third getting lit up but he did adjust and started kicking the head. Stepping into power is obviously risky and Rory landed a big kick when Lawler stepped out in the third, almost ending the fight.

For most of the fourth, Lawler gets his rear end kicked. He gets caught on the fence at least once and almost gets stopped. Rory slows down a bit and Lawler gets back to the centre, where he starts circling to his right, because it's safer and he can catch his breath. Rory kicks him in the head a bunch but Lawler's not circling into them anymore and Rory gasses. Lawler goes back to jumping in and landing his right for the last two minutes of the fight and Rory has trouble catching up. He shoots a takedown but is too tired to get anywhere with it.

Lawler boxes Rory up in the fifth. The final punch was actually the big left Lawler was trying to land in the first round.

Here's every exchange in the fight. You can see both of them adjust as the fight goes on.

https://vimeo.com/133440772

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i remember thinking in r1 'this is not the normal lawler'. there was much less angles, feints and head movement then what i'd become accustomed to and it stood out. it returned in r2. don't know how accurate this is as i was wasted by that point. can't wait to watch it again.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Speaking of footwork, I absolutely love this gif:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i remember thinking in r1 'this is not the normal lawler'. there was much less angles, feints and head movement then what i'd become accustomed to and it stood out. it returned in r2. don't know how accurate this is as i was wasted by that point. can't wait to watch it again.

Yeah I posted in the GDT about it, there was a point in the second round where he started using angles to get round Rory's jab and punished him, then he stopped doing it mid way in the third and didn't go back to it. thought it was weird.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Grifter posted:

He waits for the right moment and then just goes straight through the guard and hits on the button.

Hunt does this a lot too (except standing up). He barely throws volume these days, he's just accurate as hell.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Holy poo poo I just got to the headkick.

You guys were right, that was a pretty good debut.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
For those of you who hit the heavy bag in the gym.

Kickstarter just launched this week that turns heavy bags into a Drago-via-Rocky IV-style punch meter. They're doing free shipping this weekend and have tons of schwag included with the wrap.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Grifter posted:

Anderson is probably the best example of how super accuracy creates knockouts. Watch the Leben fight for a great example. Leben had such a great chin that you get a wonderful demonstration of Anderson's accuracy because Chris doesn't drop after just 1 or 2 like almost every other human being. Anderson hits leben like 7 times and each punch lands in what looks like less than inch apart from the last.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

So Chad said it's not so much that Conor hits very hard as it is he has great accuracy. What exactly does he mean by this? Does he just mean getting through guard or does he mean particular parts of the head?

Apparently he was timing the front kicks to interrupt Chad's breathing cycle, that's pretty cool

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Apparently he was timing the front kicks to interrupt Chad's breathing cycle, that's pretty cool

I can't even imagine how tricky it must be to time your opponent's breathing

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I seem to recall Fedor saying something similar about timing his gnp. I believe against Cro Cop?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why do corners hold ice bags against a fighters chest and against the back of their neck between rounds. Is it for swelling or too cool down? I saw Barao's corner fanning him with a towel between rounds this weekend. If it is to cool down how come? I thought it'd be best to stay warm between rounds.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Is it for swelling or too cool down?
Cooling down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kekekela posted:

Cooling down.

So to prevent overheating and return them to optimal athletic temperature, rather than to cool them right down?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

So to prevent overheating and return them to optimal athletic temperature, rather than to cool them right down?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Intense athletic activity raises body temperature, which can degrade performance and lead to health risks if not controlled. This is why people sweat when they're exercising. On top of that, the octagon has a ton of bright lights trained on it so people can see the fights, so it's pretty hot even when they're fighting in climate-controlled arenas in the USA. There have been fights in more primitive facilities, like in Brazil, that were ridiculously hot. Shogun vs. Henderson 2 was fought in conditions of over 100F with saturation humidity, so sweat couldn't even evaporate, and it was even hotter for the fighters because of the cage lights.

Anyway, if a fighter gets too hot, his performance suffers, stamina in particular. So the cornermen rub ice bags on their chests to lower their core body temperature.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EvanSchenck posted:

I'm not sure I understand your question. Intense athletic activity raises body temperature, which can degrade performance and lead to health risks if not controlled. This is why people sweat when they're exercising. On top of that, the octagon has a ton of bright lights trained on it so people can see the fights, so it's pretty hot even when they're fighting in climate-controlled arenas in the USA. There have been fights in more primitive facilities, like in Brazil, that were ridiculously hot. Shogun vs. Henderson 2 was fought in conditions of over 100F with saturation humidity, so sweat couldn't even evaporate, and it was even hotter for the fighters because of the cage lights.

Anyway, if a fighter gets too hot, his performance suffers, stamina in particular. So the cornermen rub ice bags on their chests to lower their core body temperature.

Well you don't want to be as cold as before your warm-up I mean. Those fights sound insane at that heat though

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Well you don't want to be as cold as before your warm-up I mean. Those fights sound insane at that heat though

You warm up to loosen up your muscles and joints, and probably more technical physiological reasons. Cooling down too much can lead to tightening up, as well as noticing your injuries more.

But there's no way to do this during the 1 minute you have between rounds. Maybe jumping in an ice bath for 1 minute? Maybe? Try going for a 10 minute jog, and try cooling down for 1 minute and see how far it gets you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

But there's no way to do this during the 1 minute you have between rounds.

Yep. You are beyond warmed up at that point

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok cool. That makes a lot of sense. I've only ever had to worry about cooling down between bouts so it seemed weird to me at first, I didn't account for the short amount of time in MMA.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Those fights sound insane at that heat though

Check out Fabio Maldonado vs Gian Villante. Villante completely dominated the first round with his wrestling and took basically no damage. Then he completely gassed, apparently because of the insane heat, and he couldn't take Maldonado down or protect himself. It's one of the most merciless beatings I can remember seeing in the UFC. By the third round Villante couldn't even lift his arms, he just shuffled deliriously along the fence while Maldonado punched his guts into hamburger.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
New forum name is excellent.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is the referee supposed to do when he taps the fighter to let him know the fight is over after a submission? The referee seemed to pull Palhares and Shields apart for example and that looked dangerous maybe? If someone is cranking a hold like that how should a referee step in without causing more damage or was Mazzagatti correct?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EmmyOk posted:

What is the referee supposed to do when he taps the fighter to let him know the fight is over after a submission? The referee seemed to pull Palhares and Shields apart for example and that looked dangerous maybe? If someone is cranking a hold like that how should a referee step in without causing more damage or was Mazzagatti correct?

The ref has explained to both fighters in the locker room that when he touches them to stop fighting. Full bore let go of everything the moment they come in. There is some leeway for heat of the moment stuff, but Palhares is a repeat offender and obviously isn't breaking when contacted.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The ref has explained to both fighters in the locker room that when he touches them to stop fighting. Full bore let go of everything the moment they come in. There is some leeway for heat of the moment stuff, but Palhares is a repeat offender and obviously isn't breaking when contacted.

Right I get that but my question is what should the ref do when someone isn't letting go. Mazzagatti went into pull them apart but that seemed more dangerous.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Maybe jiggle some keys in front of his face?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Well if he doesn't do anything the guy is going to get hurt anyway.

I don't think there is any real protocol but I have seen (in smaller orgs) refs put rnc's on a guy which stops him real fast.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

MysteryNad posted:

Maybe jiggle some keys in front of his face?

Palhares' provisional licenses going forward will state that refs in his fights are to have large metal jars full of pennies to shake when it's time to stop the fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Right I get that but my question is what should the ref do when someone isn't letting go. Mazzagatti went into pull them apart but that seemed more dangerous.

Put his hands on the guys hands stop him from continuing to manipulate maybe. I think it might have been Mazzagatti a few years ago who got a reaming from G-sots when he grabbed his hands when he was kimuraing Lauzon and pulled at his hands in a way that actually cranked it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Big John runs a MMA ref certification course where he goes over this stuff on a basic level. He wants refs to take BJJ classes (and possibly have a minimum purple belt) so that they can recognize the setups for submissions, the subs themselves, and also how to safely peel apart fighters without causing more damage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Stopping a sub as a 3rd party is really difficult.

Actually, thinking about it, there's probably a whole art's worth of techniques just in that. How do you lock uke, to prevent him from further cranking a sub on tori? It would be something very specific, like the moves themselves.

I wish the refs could just slap or punch the offending fighter in the face, that would get their attention.

edit: grammar

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Stopping a sub as a 3rd party is really difficult.

Actually, thinking about it, there's probably a whole art's worth of techniques just in that. How do you lock uke, to prevent him from further cranking a sub on tori? It would be something very specific, like the moves themselves.

I wish the refs could just slap or punch the offending fighter in the face, that would get their attention.

You have uke and tori backward

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Count Roland posted:

I actually agree. I'd love Paul Harris to just get loving Herb Deaned right in his dumb tard face.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

red19fire posted:

Big John runs a MMA ref certification course where he goes over this stuff on a basic level. He wants refs to take BJJ classes (and possibly have a minimum purple belt) so that they can recognize the setups for submissions, the subs themselves, and also how to safely peel apart fighters without causing more damage.

Purple is a little crazy. I never got past a blue belt and I don't think I've ever missed a set up watching MMA. might be a bit different in the cage than when you're sinking beers on the couch.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I've posted this before but here's Big John doing a full prefight rules meeting. It answers a lot of question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

I've posted this before but here's Big John doing a full prefight rules meeting. It answers a lot of question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HGpSp8aS30

This is really cool and good and there's loads of little things I didn't know