Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I really like Charlie from West Wing here, he's really selling his position. Like this show even more (might help that I'm watching it a couple of episodes at a time). Its smart, but subtle about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I really like Charlie from West Wing here, he's really selling his position. Like this show even more (might help that I'm watching it a couple of episodes at a time). Its smart, but subtle about it.

It's amazing, there's this subtle undertone of the massive amount of power he has but it hasn't been outright shown. He is the guy who can walk into a room and tell a multi-million franchise player to pack up his poo poo and leave. So far he's just trying to keep the old school star happy but given the level of hazing it's pretty close to him showing up and outright firing the low performers who've hosed with said star and intimidating the current stars into toeing the line.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

pentyne posted:

For me the big thing is how Reggie always try to paint everything in racial terms. His friend is going to get tens of millions of dollars to play a game and every little disagreement brings Reggie back to the "oh so white people get better treatment in this game?"

The racial undertones are part of what's drawing me to the show. Ricky (black, unemployed) shows up at the white coach's boat, gets treated like a boy, lectured on his life choices by white Czonka and called an rear end in a top hat by great white god Don Shula. The only thing to add in that scene was Dan Marino eating an eggplant sandwich on the bow. With only one arguable Uncle Tom, everyone with power on this show has been white. Reggie is an rear end in a top hat, but I think there's plenty of not-so-subtle racial commentary going on in this show.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
If they paired this show up w/ Silicon Valley it would be an amazing hour of tv.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Really enjoying this show, excited about it each week and the characters are fun. Corddry is murdering it out there and I always enjoy The Rock. The cars/girls/etc add the Entourage touch to top it off.

That girl is for sure going to blackmail Charles with photos of them getting it on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Is Charlie from WW the GM of the dolphins?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pron on VHS posted:

Is Charlie from WW the GM of the dolphins?

The show's Wikipedia page just lists him as "an executive" with the Dolphins.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dead Snoopy posted:

If they paired this show up w/ Silicon Valley it would be an amazing hour of tv.

Kumail as Spencer, Dwayne as Dinesh. You listening HBO?

TELL me you wouldn't want to see The Rock spoil his cousin's kickstarter, or The Beta Male handle Ricky.

Maybe swap an actor an ep so Jack Black is Gilfoyl.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

physeter posted:

The racial undertones are part of what's drawing me to the show. Ricky (black, unemployed) shows up at the white coach's boat, gets treated like a boy, lectured on his life choices by white Czonka and called an rear end in a top hat by great white god Don Shula. The only thing to add in that scene was Dan Marino eating an eggplant sandwich on the bow. With only one arguable Uncle Tom, everyone with power on this show has been white. Reggie is an rear end in a top hat, but I think there's plenty of not-so-subtle racial commentary going on in this show.

There are tons of racial undertones in the show and sports in general, but Reggie is next level with his constant "it's about being black isn't it" whenever someone tells him to be realistic.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Kumail as Spencer, Dwayne as Dinesh. You listening HBO?

TELL me you wouldn't want to see The Rock spoil his cousin's kickstarter, or The Beta Male handle Ricky.

Maybe swap an actor an ep so Jack Black is Gilfoyl.

I just meant have the shows air back to back but you went somewhere amazing with this and now I have to follow...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's amazing, there's this subtle undertone of the massive amount of power he has but it hasn't been outright shown. He is the guy who can walk into a room and tell a multi-million franchise player to pack up his poo poo and leave. So far he's just trying to keep the old school star happy but given the level of hazing it's pretty close to him showing up and outright firing the low performers who've hosed with said star and intimidating the current stars into toeing the line.

Well said. What is his position anyway? Talent scout? Assistant coach?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Well said. What is his position anyway? Talent scout? Assistant coach?

As far as I can tell he's the GM or the guy running the place while the GM is off on his boat. At the very least he can end some people's careers for causing him trouble.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I like how all the coaches in this show have that "coach's cadence" going on.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I hope Reggie gets hit by a bus

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
A flickr account? Is this 2007?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Charles' wife is pretty cool.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

A flickr account? Is this 2007?

friend me on instaface

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

pentyne posted:

As far as I can tell he's the GM or the guy running the place while the GM is off on his boat. At the very least he can end some people's careers for causing him trouble.

I'd guess he's the director of pro personnel or head of pro scouting. It's pretty much 2nd in command to the GM, they do most of the actual work finding free agents, the GM just signs off on the deals, gets all the credit and takes all the heat.

physeter posted:

It's pretty much how the sport is run unfortunately, so I hope someone doesn't decide to jump all over HBO for it. Hell Cam newton had to have a meeting with Richardson before the Panthers drafted him and he gave him a talking to about not getting tattoos and diamond earings and poo poo like that.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
The Rock needs Ray Donovan to handle Maximo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I hate admitting it, but I'm enjoying this show more than True Detective S2 at this point. Even though this basically feels like Entourage 2.0 (which shouldn't be surprising), it's still just more entertaining.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlindSite posted:

It's pretty much how the sport is run unfortunately, so I hope someone doesn't decide to jump all over HBO for it. Hell Cam newton had to have a meeting with Richardson before the Panthers drafted him and he gave him a talking to about not getting tattoos and diamond earings and poo poo like that.

It's pretty hosed up but every incoming player should be getting a seminar/meeting about their new financial status and what they need to do short and long term. The 30 for 30 ESPN highlighted how completely unprepared most players are for the realities of hundred of thousands of dollars being immediately available to them and how some of them don't even open bank accounts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

pentyne posted:

It's pretty hosed up but every incoming player should be getting a seminar/meeting about their new financial status and what they need to do short and long term. The 30 for 30 ESPN highlighted how completely unprepared most players are for the realities of hundred of thousands of dollars being immediately available to them and how some of them don't even open bank accounts.

There's actually some work on this being done. Miami just opened up an MBA program specifically for athletes (in fact I think specifically for football players) - it's a small program, but it's a start. I think the NBA offers some level of financial education to players as well, not sure at what point in a player's career it becomes available though. You're right in that people are completely unprepared, in a way it's a lot like lottery winners - you've got people who generally did not come from money and have no idea how to handle it responsibly all of a sudden being given a massive, albeit temporary (for most) income. Too many athletes treat that income as if it will last forever, whereas in reality the Jordans, Farves, and Tigers of the world are few and far between.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hate admitting it, but I'm enjoying this show more than True Detective S2 at this point. Even though this basically feels like Entourage 2.0 (which shouldn't be surprising), it's still just more entertaining.

lol

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

warcrimes posted:

The Rock needs Ray Donovan to handle Maximo.

If only that show could be so compelling.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pentyne posted:

They do its called the rookie symposium and everyone goes and no one listens

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Waroduce posted:

They do its called the rookie symposium and everyone goes and no one listens

The UFC does this for its fighters too. And it's usually the ones who have a modicum of financial survival instinct who tweet pictures of other fighters sleeping through that class.

I like to think of this show as a Greek tragedy. The Rock is fruitlessly trying to prevent young players from following his footsteps into financial ruin and bankruptcy. But he's the captain desperately trying to bail out a sinking ship.

And the Reggie character is straight out of the Broke 30 for 30 and every Behind The Music I've ever seen. It's like rule #1, your idiot friend is not a competent financial manager. Worse than a leech.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The Cowboys deal is hosed. :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PaganGoatPants posted:

The Cowboys deal is hosed. :ohdear:

The Dolphins will end up picking him up for a song so they don't have to film in two different places, and Reggie will have to drive a car where the doors open diagonally.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I could watch 30 minutes of that intro

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The chick that took the photos and is extorting Vernon, have we been introduced to her yet? The Rock said he knows her, trying to figure out if she's a new character or not.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

The chick that took the photos and is extorting Vernon, have we been introduced to her yet? The Rock said he knows her, trying to figure out if she's a new character or not.

It's Reggie that's behind it all

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

savinhill posted:

It's Reggie that's behind it all

Is this a guess or is this something I completely missed?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is this a guess or is this something I completely missed?

Reggie was the one who convinced Vern to stay, do drugs and took the pictures

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Reggie was the one who convinced Vern to stay, do drugs and took the pictures

the clue is reggie was by his side the entire night but mysteriously doesn't appear in any pictures.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

CalvinandHobbes posted:

the clue is reggie was by his side the entire night but mysteriously doesn't appear in any pictures.

Also wasn't it Reggie who was taking the pictures?

EDIT: What would Reggie have to gain financially from screwing over Vern?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 21, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Maybe Reggie is a ghost.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Also wasn't it Reggie who was taking the pictures?

EDIT: What would Reggie have to gain financially from screwing over Vern?

He's scared hes gunna get squeezed out and wants some financial security before its game over.

We saw no one else take pictures, so im interested to see if reggie is involved or how she got pictures.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Some 11th dimensional chess poo poo I guess.

If the rock fails he swoops in and make it go away.

Or he has a deal with the shady lawyer where when the rock turns up and says $500k, Reggie gets all pissy and says "I can get them for $200k, you're just trying to screw the money Vernon owes you out of the deal"

Or he just an idiot.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I think it's much more likely that Reggie convinced him to do some stupid poo poo because that's what dipshit friends do rather than him being some sort of mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Could Reggie be the Yellow King?

• Locked thread