Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wooooo, one of the games I suggested for Abject Suffering got picked this week! I was one of four people, but it got picked dammit!

Also next week: :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

For those who casually avoid Three Moves Ahead (me) for discussing highly specific timesink games you're not interested in, the recent mailbag episode is a rare good listen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just since it occurred to me listening to the LA Noire episode of WOFF and I suspect I'm too late to send in extrasode feedback: if you guys want an interesting bit of true crime/narrative about arson, Fire Lover is a fantastic story about that very topic, explaining a lot of the usual methods and telltale signs of arson, as well as one of the more infamous serial arsonist cases in US history.

It's also just a good read! You know, for those days when you want to spend some time curled up next to something as non-flammable as possible with a paper book that could anyway you get where this joke is going.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If there's anyone else out there subscribed to Axe of the Blood God, Kat Bailey did a really good interview of 8-4 Play on the latest episode about localization and some of their specific jobs like FE: Awakening. I normally don't like 8-4 Play's podcast but having someone else in the room to ground them made for a surprisingly good episode (and also reminded me that I'm still ignoring the copy of Awakening I bought last year)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Between Kole on The Level and Zack on VGHD I have a weird desire to defend the Super Mario World romhacking community (which is basically the only romhacking community) as not being exclusively sadistic fuckers making increasingly impossible levels. There's a lot of hacks that are just More Super Mario World. Some of them more fun or more impressively different from the original than others, but it's not all pixel perfect jumps all the way down.

I think it might be cool to do one of the more well-regarded ones as a VGHD assignment. Super Demo World is the canonical one I think, but it's also nearly old enough to drive so that might not prove much about the community. Someone else might have a more recent example.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Wasn't there one called Super Mario X that was pretty well-regarded?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I remember a few Japanese hacks that created some clever puzzle-y levels which weren't hard so much as they made you ponder. I dug it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Beard Yawn posted:

Wasn't there one called Super Mario X that was pretty well-regarded?
Assuming we're talking about the same thing, that isn't a romhack. It's just a copyright infringing indie platformer with a strong level editor.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I remember a few Japanese hacks that created some clever puzzle-y levels which weren't hard so much as they made you ponder. I dug it.
This reminded me of a hack called Mario's Keytastrophe which has little self contained puzzle levels based on secret exit keys, as well as a musical theme and a bunch of weird hacked-in features. It's unfinished but still a pretty good candidate for the VGHD romhack redemption assignment I'm pretending is going to happen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah, it was a series of them, and they became increasingly more elaborate ASM hacks, I'm trying to remember what the hell it was called. I loved those things. I should really see what the hell the SMW romhackers have done in the years since I last looked at that stuff, I'm sure I could find an assload of new things to play with.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The Second Reality Project series is generally well-regarded as hacks with overall good and Mario-y level design.

Super Mario Call of Cthulhu is a really well-designed hack that manages to pull off some really mind-melting effects in the mario engine.

Newer Super Mario Bros Wii is goddamn amazing and is arguably even better than the game its based off of. It's not a SMW hack so I don't know if it counts, though.

Super Mario World does have a lot of quality hacks but it suffers a lot from GameMaker syndrome where the tools to create are so easy and intuitive that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can make their Kaizo Mario/Touhou/Homestuck crossover hack and fart it out on the internet.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 18, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Super Mario Call of Cthulhu is a really well-designed hack that manages to pull off some really mind-melting effects in the mario engine.

I had not heard of this, but WOW some of the tricks it pulls WRT engine manipulation and level design are loving wild. Both from a creative and technical standpoint, this might be the most impressive romhack I've ever seen, in fact it's more impressive than most indie platformers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
darkseid, what do I honestly have to do for you to accept gameinformer's podcast on the list.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

They're not traditional romhacks, but I adore any of the "automatic mario" ones. Especially Don't Stop Me Now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tae posted:

darkseid, what do I honestly have to do for you to accept gameinformer's podcast on the list.

Tell me about it? I can just add that in a few, I was going to add Hyperbolic Game Chamber shortly anyway because I'm digging it.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

So The Crate and Crowbar have set up a Patreon.

I wouldn't normally promote in this way, but this is a really fantastic PC gaming focused podcast, and one of the best podcasts I listen too, held back only by stunningly low audio-quality.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 19, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pasco posted:

I wouldn't normally promote in this way, but this is a really fantastic PC gaming focused podcast, and one of the best podcasts I listen too, held back only by stunningly low audio-quality.

I've never backed a patreon before, I wish i could just flat out give them $20 or something. I guess I'll chip in like a buck an episode at least until they get a couple decent microphones...

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

That Cthulhu themed SMB Rom hack is sort of amazing. I put about 90 minutes in but got to a part where I screwed myself. I know it says it encourages save states but starting over from the top with each lost life is absolute nonsense.

The part I died on felt monumentally unfair too. It's the enforced invincibility star segment. It's very easy to screw yourself on time there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So are there any podcasts that will be talking about EVO outside of Super Best FriendCast? Because this was, if not the BEST EVO, the MOST EVO.

Here's a guy losing the Winner's Semifinals in Guilty Gear XRD because HE THOUGHT IT WAS OVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLeE5qPuXgM

And the Street Fighter 4 Ultra Grand Finals, after being some of the most brilliant, tactical, intense play by two top-shelf players, gets cockblocked in literally the second-to-last-round because one of the player's Razer gamepad malfunctioned and wouldn't stay connected. Razer deleted the tweets they had posted linking to the EVO stream saying "GET IN HERE TO WATCH THE SF4 GRAND FINALS!" which resulted in serious Streisand Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ__PbvsI4g&hd=1

And Marvel had by far the most diverse team layouts it's ever had aside from most teams having Doctor Doom. Some of the plays, the drops, everything were some of the best they've ever had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQp5AUVKUw&hd=1

Such a good EVO. And apparently the Catherine side tournament(who knew Competitive Catherine was even a thing?!) is the most hype thing at this year's EVO according to folks who actually watched it. I need to see it but it's crazy to think that could beat out the SF4 top 8 for hype levels.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pasco posted:

Yeah I'll chuck a few quid their way if they buy some new microphones.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
XRD top 4 was hype as hell but considering it was 2 millias, a zato and a faust I expect it was also incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't play GG

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Woffle posted:

That Cthulhu themed SMB Rom hack is sort of amazing. I put about 90 minutes in but got to a part where I screwed myself. I know it says it encourages save states but starting over from the top with each lost life is absolute nonsense.

The part I died on felt monumentally unfair too. It's the enforced invincibility star segment. It's very easy to screw yourself on time there.

Yeah, that decision confused me too. At first I thought that maybe forcing you to do all the levels in succession was a necessity in how the game was put together but after you beat the game you unlock a stage select option so :shrug:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

XRD top 4 was hype as hell but considering it was 2 millias, a zato and a faust I expect it was also incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't play GG
I've played like five minutes of the first one and while I couldn't understand it even at the rudimentary level I get SF4, it was still pretty awesome to watch (and Salty Bet on).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Captain Invictus posted:

So are there any podcasts that will be talking about EVO outside of Super Best FriendCast? Because this was, if not the BEST EVO, the MOST EVO.

Here's a guy losing the Winner's Semifinals in Guilty Gear XRD because HE THOUGHT IT WAS OVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLeE5qPuXgM

And the Street Fighter 4 Ultra Grand Finals, after being some of the most brilliant, tactical, intense play by two top-shelf players, gets cockblocked in literally the second-to-last-round because one of the player's Razer gamepad malfunctioned and wouldn't stay connected. Razer deleted the tweets they had posted linking to the EVO stream saying "GET IN HERE TO WATCH THE SF4 GRAND FINALS!" which resulted in serious Streisand Effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ__PbvsI4g&hd=1

And Marvel had by far the most diverse team layouts it's ever had aside from most teams having Doctor Doom. Some of the plays, the drops, everything were some of the best they've ever had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQp5AUVKUw&hd=1

Such a good EVO. And apparently the Catherine side tournament(who knew Competitive Catherine was even a thing?!) is the most hype thing at this year's EVO according to folks who actually watched it. I need to see it but it's crazy to think that could beat out the SF4 top 8 for hype levels.

The boys down at Duckfeed had a good discussion of EVO

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I more meant THIS EVO :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Trolling aside, 8-4 usually has a good post mortem. If they have Scott Popular on next week to talk about EVO 2015 for 30 minutes, I'll be :swoon: for days.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh god the latest Abject Suffering. I did not expect Gamefaqs gold on this, of all games.

Also this Let's play is really good. It's informative and lets the game speak for itself, so watch it if you want to learn more about this game after seeing this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL760CE265680650B5

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
re: Abject Suffering and "I've never seen Minesweeper mashups", that has been a huge variety of smaller titles lately. Off the top of my head there's Minesweeper + action game, Minesweeper + modern UI/adjustable difficulty, Minesweeper + hex grid/custom board designs (probably the best variant), and there were two or three Desura titles I can no longer recall the name of, if they even still exist with that company in a flaming freefall like it is.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

re: Abject Suffering and "I've never seen Minesweeper mashups", that has been a huge variety of smaller titles lately. Off the top of my head there's Minesweeper + action game, Minesweeper + modern UI/adjustable difficulty, Minesweeper + hex grid/custom board designs (probably the best variant), and there were two or three Desura titles I can no longer recall the name of, if they even still exist with that company in a flaming freefall like it is.

Huh, well I'll be. I've literally never seen those titles before. Neat though, it's a cool hybrid genre.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also this Let's play is really good. It's informative and lets the game speak for itself, so watch it if you want to learn more about this game after seeing this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL760CE265680650B5

Yeah, sgf's LP is probably the way to go if you just want to see Illbleed. There's commentary, but not over the cutscenes, and he's a mostly straight-faced presenter who shows off everything the game has to offer without getting in the way.

And Illbleed's definitely worth seeing all of, because while some of the levels definitely stand out above the others every single plot beat is delightfully bizarre and it's constantly coming at you with incredible stuff that's completely out of left field.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
1) Illbleed is actually a lot like Deadly Premonition, a great terrible game. Abject Suffering needs more of those, but I'm not sure how many actually exist compared to films.

2) Is there a place to get that "mind melting" Cthulhu Mario romhack without signing into some weird shady foreign filedump site?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

1) Illbleed is actually a lot like Deadly Premonition, a great terrible game. Abject Suffering needs more of those, but I'm not sure how many actually exist compared to films.

2) Is there a place to get that "mind melting" Cthulhu Mario romhack without signing into some weird shady foreign filedump site?

Your buddy Gary will send it to you.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another great C&C episode. I think they totally nailed why the days mod was so good and why the standalone and all the other survival games that it spawned never really lived up to it.

In fact that was a passing point (and this really dates it) that Tyler Barber made on rebel fm (remember that?) at the time it came out.

I also thought the discussion on "tilting" was fascinating as well because every one knows that concept but I've never heard it given an actual name.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
It's a pretty common term in card games. I think I've heard it originated from tilting pinball tables, but I most closely associate it with Magic the Gathering and poker.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It gets used in MOBAs frequently too, because people like to blame their teammates for everything when they really should have taken a break two losses ago.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There was a study done recently that showed that the lower skill a male player is, the more likely he's going to hurl insults at a female player.

It's basically a Dunning-Kruger for video games; scrublords all over the place.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

There was a study done recently that showed that the lower skill a male player is, the more likely he's going to hurl insults at a female player.

It's basically a Dunning-Kruger for video games; scrublords all over the place.

Since this is a podcast thread this is kind of on-topic: there's a pretty good episode of This American Life about trolls where a feminist internet writer talks to the most virulent troll she ever encountered on a Skype call or something and he basically admits that he did it because he was a giant loser who felt bad about himself and resented that a woman he didn't find attractive was happy and apparently-confident. It simultaneously manages to depict his behavior as unambiguously wrong and pathetic while also humanizing him.

I can't imagine why anyone interested in the games industry would find it interesting!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
This is also a good video essay series on that topic, specifically why the bulk of gamergators are angry and abusive, while not attacking them for being clearly wrong (and it's basically a podcast with some supporting images).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Since this is a podcast thread this is kind of on-topic: there's a pretty good episode of This American Life about trolls where a feminist internet writer talks to the most virulent troll she ever encountered on a Skype call or something and he basically admits that he did it because he was a giant loser who felt bad about himself and resented that a woman he didn't find attractive was happy and apparently-confident. It simultaneously manages to depict his behavior as unambiguously wrong and pathetic while also humanizing him.

I can't imagine why anyone interested in the games industry would find it interesting!

I thought it came out that part or all of this story was faked in some way, or highly embellished? Maybe I'm thinking of a different episode.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

I thought it came out that part or all of this story was faked in some way, or highly embellished? Maybe I'm thinking of a different episode.

It may be embellished, but I doubt it was mostly or totally falsified unless the people making that accusation have no way to prove it. TAL is usually very good at retracting stories they find out are bogus; there are multiple episodes with a single segment that was removed or has a disclaimer added, and there's one really infamous example (Mike Daisey's story about the abhorrent conditions at Apple manufacturers in China) where Ira Glass literally did a follow-up interview episode where he gets as angry as an NPR personality can get and nails the dude to the wall for representing his story as fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Seconding what Zombies Downfall is saying about TAL being mostly above board on stuff. The only thing that is possibly worse than the fake Apple factory conditions episode with Mike Daisy is whenever they defer to Planet Money's playpen of loving clowns.
This definitely is off topic, but if you want to hear what the world's sloppiest blow job sounds like, go check out Planet Money casually handing out hand breezys and more to the financial sector.

Phone fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread