Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

so ... a 10% price hike in order to shave a few seconds off startup times while drastically reducing storage capacity? sounds like the perfect decision for this computer whose main selling point is low price rather than high performance

like, i still use rotating hds in my main desktop, i could easily afford to switch to ssd any time i wanted to but i haven't felt the need because everything runs fine. they're fine.

using separate physical drives still wins the most for performance. a system with a 500GB HD for user and temporary/log data and flash for OS & apps (with overflow balanced to the HD) could potentially see a big boost.

I have separate system, user, and project drives on my old Mac Pro and it's quite fast. by far the biggest boost came from using separate drives (especially using an SSD for my projects drive).

switching my system volume to a homebrew Fusion drive (CoreStorage logical volume spanning an HD and small SSD) sped things up too but not by as much, but it mostly helps reinstalls go a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Smythe posted:

qlab ftw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

it isn't really, but it's fast enough and a drat sight faster than any plang

(source: I recently reimplemented a decades-old cpu-bound c program in both python and java, trying to write efficient code without calling out to c or going overboard into unreadable soup.

the python version is slow as poo poo, no surprise, but good enough for the purpose it serves.

the java code is generally 2-3 times slower than the old c version if you force it to run in a single thread, but runs faster in normal use because it uses all the available cores whereas the c version was only single-threaded and gently caress trying to retrofit multithreading into ancient c code.

this is with java 8; java 7 is noticeably slower, java 6 is quite poor. they really have improved the jvm a hell of a lot recently.)

in c? but it's so easy! just sprinkle in #pragma omp parallel

:downs:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
firewalld is bullshit

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

in c? but it's so easy! just sprinkle in #pragma omp parallel

:downs:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

firewalld is bullshit

why. seemed fine to me

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

try adding a persistent tcpmss rule to teh mangle table

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eschaton posted:

and how much would a 500GB SSD add? that's what the $200 model includes. I think it just might increase the BoM a bit more than that.

Thanks to things called "the cloud" and "streaming", I've gotten by with a 128 GB SSD on my laptop for ballpark five years, with 30-40 GB consumed by VMs and typically tens more gigabytes free. A base model device running Linux could easily ship with a 64 GB drive and never run out of space for typical users. (Windows is a different story, years of service packs & security updates in)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i also have 128gb ssd comp.. and 8gb phone. for epic spartan cloud man

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

James Baud posted:

Thanks to things called "the cloud" and "streaming", I've gotten by with a 128 GB SSD on my laptop for ballpark five years, with 30-40 GB consumed by VMs and typically tens more gigabytes free. A base model device running Linux could easily ship with a 64 GB drive and never run out of space for typical users. (Windows is a different story, years of service packs & security updates in)

indeed, this device designed for people who do not have fast cheap permanent internet connections doesn't need storage because they can just rely on "the cloud" and "streaming"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

indeed, this device designed for people who do not have fast cheap permanent internet connections doesn't need storage because they can just rely on "the cloud" and "streaming"

they have the google balloons. its enough for anyone

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soricidus posted:

If they don't have internet they won't be pirating games or movies and probably they won't fill space with 30 gigapixel images from their thousand dollar cameras either.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

Smythe posted:

i also have 128gb ssd comp.. and 8gb phone. for epic spartan cloud man

I have a 120gb ssd. Instead of the cloud I use the new floppy disks (sd).

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

James Baud posted:

If they don't have internet they won't be pirating games or movies and probably they won't fill space with 30 gigapixel images from their thousand dollar cameras either.

More or less this. If the endless has an SD slot they can also get additional storage for like $12 per 32gb.

Also, it's good to be back.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

James Baud posted:

If they don't have internet

please note the distinction between having any access to the internet at all and having a first-world fast permanent always-on connection

either of these things makes downloads viable, but only one of them makes cloud storage and streaming viable

i don't know what kind of connection the endless target market actually has, because i'm not involved with endless. i'm just pointing out that the endless target market does not include forums poster james baud, and therefore your requirements and constraints are not the requirements and constraints that endless were looking at when they decided what to make. i'm pretty sure they are aware of the existence of cloud services. i'm also pretty sure that the fact they bundle an offline copy of wikipedia on their computers says something about their expectations vis a vis the viability of cloud services for their target market.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Smythe posted:

they have the google balloons. its enough for anyone
google has problems with the fiber runs near their oregon datacenter getting shot at by drunk hunters. no way a balloon infrastructure survives human stupidity

pram
Jun 10, 2001
maybe put the cables underground huh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
in overlayfs, is there a way to combine the upper and lower mounts permanently?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

yeah, it's called copy it to a new filesystem fs, or citanfs

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Tankakern posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tankakern posted:

cool i love making duplicates of everything. anyway i obviously could rsync them together but its just kind of dumb and time consuming for stuff like patching rollback

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

your fs is a pos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

pram posted:

cool i love making duplicates of everything. anyway i obviously could rsync them together but its just kind of dumb and time consuming for stuff like patching rollback

maybe if you post more about your motivation for doign this we could get an idea of how to help

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it says right there my friend

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/log/

oh hey somebody's finally fixing wayland on hidpi great maybe 3.18 will have working wayland

not that it matters for actual daily use or w/e i just think waylend is cool

pram
Jun 10, 2001
weighlard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/mutter/log/

oh hey somebody's finally fixing wayland on hidpi great maybe 3.18 will have working wayland

not that it matters for actual daily use or w/e i just think waylend is cool

kde 5 added wayland support but i haven't been bothered to try it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde 5 added wayland support but i haven't been bothered to try it

not really, it's coming along though

i tried KDE 5 btw

somehow they managed to go from violently ugly in kde 3 and kde 4 to actually really pretty in kde 5

it doesn't have anywhere near gnome's polish though

like... gnome has ideas and executes them thoroughly. they might be rather bad ideas, but they at least stick to them

kde 5's had a lick of paint but it's going to need some ux work that's more than skin deep. it's incredibly frustrating trying to discover how to do anything and a lot of options are worthless. like, for instance:

how do i made the file manager display in List view by default? apparently it's not Control > Configure Dolphin, it's Control > Adjust View Properties. whereupon you're given an option to either apply your current view settings to All Of The Folders or set them to be the default. you have to actually set list view first, of course

in gnome, you open the program called "Files" (the name Nautilus does not appear anywhere in the UI except maybe the About box), you go to its application menu in the top left of the screen (because you want to configure the app and not the folder you're looking at), click Settings, and right there is a dropdown to select the default mode

want to turn the stupid menu bar off in Konsole (ugh)? well, you can turn it off once, but it'll keep coming back in every new one you launch like some sort of herpes outbreak. you have to, get this, switch the menu bar back on (because the option isn't available otherwise), go to Settings > Configure konsole, disable the "Show menubar by default" option, then turn the menu bar off.

creating a new virtual desktop is just ... you couldn't make this poo poo up. you have to right click a completely invisible tiny little vertical sliver between the K icon and the window switcher to get an option to create another virtual desktop. or i guess you could add a widget to the desktop for managing them?? and then it lets you create one and they pop up on the taskbar and you're like oh. well why does this stupid loving widget need to exist and then you delete the widget and then you delete the new virtual desktop then try to recreate it in the space where a virtual desktop list used to be one second ago and then you go "oh, that's why. because everything in kde was written by autistic loving germans and i'm sure this makes absolutely perfect sense in their minds"

the new indexing system runs a loving MySQL server in the background :psyduck: but at least it doesn't bring the entire system to its knees like kde 4's nepomuk garbage apparently did. a database server is a particular kind of program though. it assumes it owns all of the resources on the system, and it also assumes it's assigned to a staff greybeard who will nanny it and wipe the drool off its chin. idk how good an idea it is to silently run an honest to god database server (which mysql thinks it is, apparently) in a desktop environment

the mail client is poo poo and is a ux fail in all sorts of ways and i can't even be bothered to list all of its failure

so alright, it looks pretty and i can actually have my loving taskbar back as a first class citizen. shame about everything else though. i think i'll stick with gnome 3 and its fail-rear end way of managing virtual desktops which is supposed to be the entire point of gnome 3 *presses Super+Up a whole bunch and flies away on trail of own farts*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

the mail client is poo poo

i know there are people left in the world who still use desktop mail clients, but i can't believe many of them are interested in trying a new one

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

including a mysql server is pretty lol but i guess you could configure it to be small and self-contained

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

including a mysql server is pretty lol but i guess you could configure it to be small and self-contained

i guess they never heard of sqlite3? does mysql have any features worth using other than "silently changing table types from innodb to myisam to gently caress you over" or "silently casting nulls to empty strings to gently caress you over" or

pram
Jun 10, 2001
replication

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i guess they never heard of sqlite3? does mysql have any features worth using other than "silently changing table types from innodb to myisam to gently caress you over" or "silently casting nulls to empty strings to gently caress you over" or

locking on a granularity finer than "the entire loving database"

turns out when you take that out of the design spec you can also do away with a whole lot of complexity in a db engine

so basically this "akonadi" dbus service thing sucks at using its data store efficiently

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 19, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I have never had anything but trouble using kmail or evolution. Thunderbird is the only game in town.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
try mail.app, included for free with apple operating system x 10.10 yosemite (also free software)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
vagrant is garbage poo poo for idiots

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i used evolution for sometime, it supports exchange, but i prefer webmail anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thunderbird changed all my contact names to the letter N