Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yeah the election is great, though I have no idea what it would have looked like if it went like it was supposed to and Hawkeye won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

This level in the phone game I'm playing may be... politically charged.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I have missed mafia with my new schedule.

I am moving tomorrow, after that we'll see what my free time holds.

I hope to mislynch you all again soon.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Asiina posted:

Yeah. He's also not in the last episode at all, which is some bullshit. They managed to recapture a lot of the Sorkin style in the last two seasons, and especially season 7, but they really dropped the ball on Toby.

I guess he chose to leave the show once his contract was fulfilled.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Look Under The Rock posted:

I guess he chose to leave the show once his contract was fulfilled.

Personally, I think it was very unprofessional for Leo to not finish the show out, IMO.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
My mother told me last night that she unironically supports Trump for president.

Keane, are you secretly my dad

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

My mother told me last night that she unironically supports Trump for president.

Keane, are you secretly my dad

Trump is catching on!

A vote for Trump is a vote for American Leftism.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

IS EVERYONE BUYING THINGS ON AMAZON

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
no the sales are less than overwhelming for sure

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm having a mafia problem. It seems like I'm doing an ok job picking out the scum, but I get shut out when making cases on them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm having a mafia problem. It seems like I'm doing an ok job picking out the scum, but I get shut out when making cases on them.

I disagree.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Just keep posting

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

JakeP posted:

no the sales are less than overwhelming for sure

I was super stoked for Prime Day because I just bought a Fire phone recently and got a year of Prime with it, and I've actually got a little money from student loans right now buuuuut pretty much everything has either been "I don't need this at all" "this isn't even worth it at the sale price" or "100% claimed"

I've got some stuff in my cart but blehhhh the stuff I need is like, socks and a step stool and earbuds and a PS3 controller. Plus I'm finding it kind of difficult to navigate.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i need a new laptop. i want to wait for windows 10 though. hmmm

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Well there's your problem: you're picking out scum. Pick out innocent townies and case then instead.

Also, I think you may have ruined me MMM by having my first ever game have 12 hour night cycles.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i need a new laptop. i want to wait for windows 10 though. hmmm

if you have windows 7 or 8 you get windows 10 for free at the end of the month anyway

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kumbamontu posted:

if you have windows 7 or 8 you get windows 10 for free at the end of the month anyway

yeah this, get a laptop and get a free upgrade, why wait?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Well there's your problem: you're picking out scum. Pick out innocent townies and case then instead.

:angel:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Look at the casework that you found compelling in previous games and try to determine why you found them compelling. The best cases, to me, convey the strongest reason for why someone is scum in a very succinct manner. The long, flowery cases get overlooked because people are lazy. You need to capture and persuade your reader in 1-3 short sentences/points.

I also like to use pointed questions at people to try to get them to either review or comment on my case. This will also help you determine the alignment of the players that you prod. It's a give and take though; you can't be the guy who only asks questions of others without putting out his own responses to their questions.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CapitalistPig posted:

yeah this, get a laptop and get a free upgrade, why wait?

Why do I want Windows 10? What is great about it?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

If you'd stop doing weird things, I'd stop being suspicious of you!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not saying you do this but in general don't spam the thread with an epic megacase that takes up the entire screen as your method of getting people on your side, peoples attention spans are short, and they will not digest it. I find you are better off posting your thoughts as they come up, and not letting them pile up, and just be genuine, and explain why you feel the way you do. Good townies will recognize this, and give your case more attention than some mega post of quotes and lovely blurbs about why the posts were scummy, or an essay that is 5 paragraphs long or something

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Also the more obviously town you are the more likely that town will take your thoughts into consideration, don't be a scummy player and then come out of nowhere with a case and expect people to be swawyed

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

merk posted:

I have no idea, I was specifically referring to derp's situation.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looking at the last two games I was in, is the big mega case in one of them (WIFOA), but the other had more fluid points (pecan pageant)

I'll try to be less long winded though.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

from what I hear windows 10 is pretty good, and is better than 8

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
windows 9 must have been super poo poo to not even be released

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

merk posted:

mostly that it's not windows 8 and thus is not designed specifically for a tablet

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

I think its because it is confusing because of windows 95/98

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

imgay posted:

the best theories i've read as to why they did that are here: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

JakeP posted:

I think its because it is confusing because of windows 95/98

but yeah it's probably this.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
its cuz 7 ate 9

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I only need one more person for my game and then role PMs will go out later today.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730666

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hmmm probably shouldn't join another game

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

its cuz 7 ate 9

I hate you and I hate myself for laughing. :mad:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

People should join Exact's game IMO

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

JakeP posted:

Also the more obviously town you are the more likely that town will take your thoughts into consideration, don't be a scummy player and then come out of nowhere with a case and expect people to be swawyed

This is one of the biggest problems with our town players. You have to be able to separate your belief about an unflipped player's alignment from the cases that person makes. You also have to separate your belief of an unflipped player's alignment from every other belief you have about an unflipped player's alignment.

You can definitely say things like:
"I think merk is scum, but his case on JakeP is great. ##vote JakeP."
"I think merk is scum. I think JakeP is scum, but probably not scum with merk. ##vote JakeP."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Also, I think you may have ruined me MMM by having my first ever game have 12 hour night cycles.

I never responded to this but yeah, I can't stand long nights. Short cycles are the only way to live

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JakeP posted:

Not saying you do this but in general don't spam the thread with an epic megacase that takes up the entire screen as your method of getting people on your side, peoples attention spans are short, and they will not digest it. I find you are better off posting your thoughts as they come up, and not letting them pile up, and just be genuine, and explain why you feel the way you do. Good townies will recognize this, and give your case more attention than some mega post of quotes and lovely blurbs about why the posts were scummy, or an essay that is 5 paragraphs long or something

As someone who is very clearly long-winded, I usually try to

(a) understand my thought process[/b] before I post it, so if people challenge me on my posts I can justify them
(b) directly engage with the people who I think are scummy so there is an obvious thing for people to reply to
(c) bold the important parts of my megapost if I think it's so long that people won't read it (I actually always forget to do this but I think it's a generally good idea)
(d) be aware of the presence of scum. If your giant case is right and being dismissed, it might be a sign that you're right. Conversely, if your giant case is being agreed upon by almost everyone, it means scum is cool with it and you're (likely) wrong.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.