Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Party Plane Jones posted:

Mitsubishi were a little lighter for the 40 inch at ~240 pounds apparently. The carrying handles help though (not my picture).

Slightly more on topic, I don't think I had an actual CRT monitor that didn't have a nasty habit of ghosting within a couple years. Those 19 inch models never lasted long.

Holy hell some of them had handles? Why wasn't that standard? So many crushed fingers could have been avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Additional cost of moulding, obviously. Loops like that aren't cheap to manufacture integrated into the rest of the mold. You'd mold them separately, and then weld them into the housing before final assembly. (Screw hole makes for a weakness.)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It was weird the first time I bought an LCD television. It was a large TV I could pretty much one-shoulder. Glad I spent the extra cash for it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tanreall posted:

Holy hell some of them had handles? Why wasn't that standard? So many crushed fingers could have been avoided.

Only Sony and Mitsubishi really did large scale production of CRTs that size. There's been rumors that Mitsubishi had prototyped 61 inch CRTs before discontinuing production but I don't think there was any proof of them ever existing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I had a Sony 27" for the longest time. 91 lbs (confirmed with a bathroom scale). I could just get my arms around it and lug it myself. When we finally bought a 40" LCD TV my wife asked me if I'd be able to get it up the stairs myself and I was all like "Yeah I got this" :madmax:

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

It was weird the first time I bought an LCD television. It was a large TV I could pretty much one-shoulder. Glad I spent the extra cash for it.

I went with my dad and brother to pick up our new LCD tv I had them keep it aside at the store the previous week. I could have carried it home on the train if i'd realised how small and light it was.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
New thread title, GPU Megathread - Come relive the glory days of the Cancer Ray Tube.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
After toying with the idea of picking up a GTX 980, I've talked myself down into 'settling' for a 970. Based on benchmarks it still nearly doubles the performance of my 7950, and to be frank the extra 10-15% performance just really didn't seem worth the extra $170. (Plus, my PC's speakers finally died after a 10 year run, so I suddenly have to budget for those as well) Oculus was another reason I wanted to go higher than a 970, but if it isn't quite pulling it off I can always sell it when Pascal drops next year.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this will also be my first time back with Team Green since the GeForce 2 MX. We had a good run, ATIAMD, but you're making it hard to stick with you any more.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ProfessorBooty posted:

I paid something like 2200 bucks for a 32" 768p Sharp in 2005. I'm still using that TV - aside from a faulty relay a few months in the fucker's been solid as a rock.

So even though you can get a 32" LCD for ~$250 today, I really doubt it'd last a decade.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Are you asking what to get Space Racist? MSI Gaming 4G or 100ME.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bleh Maestro posted:

Are you asking what to get? MSI Gaming 4G or 100ME.

Nah, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 100ME. Just felt like posting about an actual GPU purchase instead of old-rear end CRTs. :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i was running 294 fps before it was cool ~Viewsonic 4 lyfe~

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

SwissCM posted:

My family had a 32" 4:3 CRT for a while in the early 00s. For an analogue TV is was pretty great, even had 16:9 capabilities (without loss of resolution, because yay CRT).

A heavy motherfucker though.

I had that exact same TV. It was actually great. I was the only person in the familiy who understood how to set up the DVD player to output the anamorphic feed and change the setting on the TV to get it to work.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SwissCM posted:

My family had a 32" 4:3 CRT for a while in the early 00s. For an analogue TV is was pretty great, even had 16:9 capabilities (without loss of resolution, because yay CRT).

You still lost resolution. The raster was compressed, but it doesn't change the physical dot pitch of the screen.

Even the best CRT TVs usually had nowhere near enough phosphors to fully resolve a 1080p image. I think later model Sony CRTs labeled "super fine pitch" came closer, but even then I remember reading about some videophile :spergin: on AVSForums who actually counted the visible dots on the shadow mask and it was only something like 1440 horizontal resolution.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Didn't the 9" Mitsubishis resolve all 1080 lines?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Didn't the 9" Mitsubishis resolve all 1080 lines?

Yeah, there were a handful of CRT projectors that could do a true 2500x2000 picture, but they were ridiculously expensive. The MSRP on a high-end Barco that could display that resolution was something like $40k. Pretty impressive resolution considering that it came out in the 90s though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well I figured out why my previous card failed. Turns out EK IS loving CUTTING CORNERS AGAIN.

click for huge.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Is that a really really un-leveled baseplate where it contacts the GPU?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
No, they use screw in offsets and one broke. When I was going to put the block back on it just kind of fell off.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did you break the screw?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Quick question actually tangentially related to graphics; My 290X performs nicely, but the current setup I have seems to having heat issues, after about 5 hours loaded temps go from 55° for the CPU and 71° for the GPU to 68° and 92° respectively. This is absurd, so I'm considering solutions, either replace the fans I currently have (stock with case) with some really high CFM fans (such as CM SickleFlow 120s) or going liquid for the GPU with a 240mm radiator. Which would best resolve this situation? I'm leaning new fans since it's cheaper overall and heat build up seems the real issue with the pissweak fans I have apparently.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

Quick question actually tangentially related to graphics; My 290X performs nicely, but the current setup I have seems to having heat issues, after about 5 hours loaded temps go from 55° for the CPU and 71° for the GPU to 68° and 92° respectively. This is absurd, so I'm considering solutions, either replace the fans I currently have (stock with case) with some really high CFM fans (such as CM SickleFlow 120s) or going liquid for the GPU with a 240mm radiator. Which would best resolve this situation? I'm leaning new fans since it's cheaper overall and heat build up seems the real issue with the pissweak fans I have apparently.

Reference 290X or 3rd party with a multi-fan cooler? The reference get to 90+ basically no matter what but if it's a good 3rd party card you probably just need better case airflow.

This will obviously remedy the CPU temp as well, and won't cost a lot of money overall.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If you're room's not getting hot, it would seem to be a problem with getting heat out of the case.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah, room temp isn't much above 27°, and the 290X is a black edition XFX DD. I can't seem to set a fan profile at all in MSI afterburner which is irritating, so I don't know if that's an issue with the bios, my operating system (windows 8), or if I need to reinstall something.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Running the computer with the side panel off might be a good way to see if it's just case airflow.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, room temp isn't much above 27°, and the 290X is a black edition XFX DD. I can't seem to set a fan profile at all in MSI afterburner which is irritating, so I don't know if that's an issue with the bios, my operating system (windows 8), or if I need to reinstall something.

...Can't set a fan profile? That's weird. Will it not let you configure one or will it just not stick?

The default fan profile is pretty trash and caps at 45% speed or something like that. I have mine set to 1:1 fan% to degrees C because I don't care about noise and I care about overclocking (XFX 290 DD).

What drivers are you running? 15.6 seems to have done something weird with the fans on mine (one of them actually turns off when idling now).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Jago posted:

Did you break the screw?

If you could see the actual standoff, it looks like it was either designed to be too thin or machined wrong. I was able to get the other part out of the block just using a pair of hemostats, so it wasn't like I over torqued it. Performance-pcs is sending me a new standoff. Still a lovely design. None of my other blocks that have the standoffs milled into the block have ever done this.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Hmmm , was that on the card you rmad. I suppose there isn't any way to tell though

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Hmmm , was that on the card you rmad. I suppose there isn't any way to tell though

Correct, I have no way of knowing. The temps never went over about 43C so it was still making contact with the block just fine. It's just annoying to have to RMA a card, then go to put the block back on the new card and find out I have to request yet another part for something that really shouldn't have happened in the first place. I did go ahead and put the case back together last night and played Witcher(1) for a few hours last night. I don't think the card ever went above 60% usage ><. Couldn't even hear it, so at least that's a bonus. Got bored with SW:ToR again, so I'm trying to grind through Witcher I and II.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
(Derail, but) Witcher 1 isn't at all worth playing really compared to 2 and 3.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gwaihir posted:

So i'm not missing anything by skipping it and starting at 2?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nah, not really much at all. 2 is much more relevant to W3, and is a waaay better game than 1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

So i'm not missing anything by skipping it and starting at 2?

1 at least informs you as to a lot of stuff that becomes relevant in the later two games: Your amnesia, the Wild Hunt, Witchers (in general), Triss, and Temeria/Foltest.

It's a bit janky but I wouldn't say that it isn't worth playing. Basically none of your decisions from 1 get brought forward to 2 though really with the exception of if you found the best armor in the game, if you saved Foltest's daughter and which group you chose to support. Only choosing the Order really matters as that's the only one to have a difference in 2.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

It's actually pretty cool and good, as well as being a decent entry point to the series for those who don't want to read the books. Only major issues are that some sections are a bit long for their own good and the combat doesn't really work like it should because of the choice of engine. Worth a play though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I tried it after playing W2, and just couldn't get through it because of the combat. I guess I should have just put it on cruise control easy mode for the story.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gwaihir posted:

I tried it after playing W2, and just couldn't get through it because of the combat. I guess I should have just put it on cruise control easy mode for the story.

That's what I'm doing. I set it to easy just to go through the story. The combat is hilarious bad though.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

If you like older style PCrpgs Witcher 1 is still a fun time with many characters and story beats from it returning in Witcher 3 as nice callbacks that players of the first game will appreciate. That said, the second game is definitely more accessible to modern tastes and leads directly into 3.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Sapphire is the first to have R9 Fury (Non-X) up on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202157

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wonder if any of the aftermarket companies will be able to make it with a cooler to match the pcb, or if that's just too hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

...Can't set a fan profile? That's weird. Will it not let you configure one or will it just not stick?

The default fan profile is pretty trash and caps at 45% speed or something like that. I have mine set to 1:1 fan% to degrees C because I don't care about noise and I care about overclocking (XFX 290 DD).

What drivers are you running? 15.6 seems to have done something weird with the fans on mine (one of them actually turns off when idling now).

Afterburner literally won't let me use "user define", the button is grayed out. I can adjust fan speed in CCC but when I apply it simply reverts.

Afterburner says drivers 9.14.10.01029, catalyst 14.4. I keep trying to update my drivers but for some reason it freezes (from CCC), or AMDs own website won't give me something more up to date. I think it's my windows.