Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

You should play this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aNcvBrRHM
Sonic Robo Blast 2 is really impressive, the bonus stages and boss fights are a really nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In a disappointment to no one, I will not be joining the stream tonight. Just too drat tired to commentate until 2:30 AM my time. We'll see about next week.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

.TakaM posted:

You should play this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aNcvBrRHM
Sonic Robo Blast 2 is really impressive, the bonus stages and boss fights are a really nice touch

I'll add it to the list.

RickVoid posted:

In a disappointment to no one, I will not be joining the stream tonight. Just too drat tired to commentate until 2:30 AM my time. We'll see about next week.

Aw, shame. We'll see you next time, then.

edit: adding this here, because new page (Holy crap! A new page!)

Twiggymouse posted:

:siren:Stream tonight.:siren:

Same DooM time, same DooM place.

Come watch me get wrekt scrubs.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 30, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Kids are going to bed early, I'm feeling pretty good. I may show up. We'll see.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

As always, thanks for coming out.

New videos posted on Friday.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Last nights dreams were Doom flavored.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
You really like that golden cacodemon statue, don't you?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Steelpudding posted:

You really like that golden cacodemon statue, don't you?

It's as much a lack of having something else I like as anything else. Besides, we've been going through the , so it's been appropriate.

Though, now that you mention it, variety is the spice of life.

Treffies
Apr 27, 2010
I've been hooked on Doom and Doom WAD's since Vaos' old LP megathread in the days of yore. Its good to have a Doom thread back.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

Treffies posted:

Its good to have a Doom thread back.

Seriously, ya'll are making me want to play DoomRL or go load up zDoom over here - don't stop!

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

So, important question:
I'm considering (for reasons involving ease of scheduling) making our regularly scheduled stream:

9:30 PM Pacific on Tuesdays,

rather than on Mondays, like it has been.
The other option is to simply make it an either/or deal, where I'll stream on Monday when I can and Tuesday when I can't.

Either way, weigh in and let me know if there's one or the other option that works best for you.
As always, new videos up tomorrow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Whatever works out better for you.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Welp, barring a sudden and violent lashing out by everyone else, I'll most likely be moving the stream day to Tuesday.

In the meantime:

:siren:Update!:siren:

We start session two of the
:

s2p1 - Featuring Mialath and Flubglub
s2p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Welp, barring a sudden and violent lashing out by everyone else, I'll most likely be moving the stream day to Tuesday.

In the meantime:

:siren:Update!:siren:

We start session two of the
:

s2p1 - Featuring Mialath and Flubglub
s2p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

That Rick guy is an unfunny jerk. He's dragging down the quality of the stream, you should sever.

Also, holy poo poo my audio is LOUD. I knew the mic in my headset was pretty great but drat.

So that whole "I think I figured out my audio issues" thing was because the audio stopped playing in my headset shortly after the call started and just started playing from the TV. There's a moment where you can hear a very quiet "What the gently caress!?" as I'm trying to sort the whole thing out. I thought I had my mic muted for that, whoops.

Looking forward to next tuesday.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In related news I just played through Episode One of Doom 1 using the Nazis V2 mod. It was really good. I even played on HMP, and I never play on HMP. Managed to get through without a death even. The machine gun that has a 32 round magazine is straight up the best gun in the mod though. Tons of ammo, super accurate (even when you spray), and does decent damage even if you're just bursting. That said the LMG is just pure death. I just mag-dumped the thing on Phobos Anomaly and it killed the Hell Knight analogues super-fast. The shotgun is the big loser though. The 8 round magazine goes fast for how slow it fires, and while I appreciate that it does model a burst of projectiles I would have liked to see a little more spread. DoomGuy needs to take out the choke tube. I also feel like there wasn't a need for 3 different pistols (with their own ammo!), though I suppose a Revolver Ocelot gimmick run would be entertaining (though short). Didn't really bother with grenades either.

Seriously though, it's shooting Nazis in Hell. What more do you need?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

RickVoid posted:

In related news I just played through Episode One of Doom 1 using the Nazis V2 mod. It was really good. I even played on HMP, and I never play on HMP. Managed to get through without a death even. The machine gun that has a 32 round magazine is straight up the best gun in the mod though. Tons of ammo, super accurate (even when you spray), and does decent damage even if you're just bursting. That said the LMG is just pure death. I just mag-dumped the thing on Phobos Anomaly and it killed the Hell Knight analogues super-fast. The shotgun is the big loser though. The 8 round magazine goes fast for how slow it fires, and while I appreciate that it does model a burst of projectiles I would have liked to see a little more spread. DoomGuy needs to take out the choke tube. I also feel like there wasn't a need for 3 different pistols (with their own ammo!), though I suppose a Revolver Ocelot gimmick run would be entertaining (though short). Didn't really bother with grenades either.

:cawg:

Wildweasel can't balance his mods for poo poo, even if they're fun to play. Wait till you hit an open space with a ton of knights and imps and it turns into a Japanese scrolling shooter.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 4, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

:cawg:

Wildweasel can't balance his mods for poo poo, even if they're fun to play. Wait till you hit an open space with a ton of knights and imps and it turns into a Japanese scrolling shooter.

I had noticed that I was tending to use doorways tactically instead of the standard doom tactic or running around with the shotgun out with the fire button held down, yes.

It's interesting how much the game changes when none of the enemies are hitscan, but they all fire fast moving projectiles.

Has anyone done a mod where all of the enemies are former humans and marines, and your character is a demon that fires energy projectiles? Like a reverse Doom. That would be fun.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

RickVoid posted:

I had noticed that I was tending to use doorways tactically instead of the standard doom tactic or running around with the shotgun out with the fire button held down, yes.

It's interesting how much the game changes when none of the enemies are hitscan, but they all fire fast moving projectiles.

Has anyone done a mod where all of the enemies are former humans and marines, and your character is a demon that fires energy projectiles? Like a reverse Doom. That would be fun.

I concur. Someone needs to find this and let me add it to the list.

Also, in my trawling, I did find a Fistful of Doom wad, for all your revolver duel needs. Also worth noting is the fact that the website that's on has a plethora of multiplayer maps up for grabs. May be grabbing those for a later time, as well.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

RickVoid posted:

I ended up downloading DemonSteele after seeing mention of it in the thread, then combining it with first a Wolf3D total conversion and then one of those Astrostein mods. I never knew that I wanted to run around as a five-foot-four anime beating Nazis to death with a scabbard, but hey.

RickVoid posted:

I dunno about making all the enemies human, but I remember there was a mod that had you play as a Baron. It was apparently horrifically terrible.

EDIT: was apparently Doom: Rampage Edition and was so bad someone made a better one in like a week in response called A Better Doom WAD Pulled Out My rear end.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 4, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kadorhal posted:

EDIT: was apparently Doom: Rampage Edition and was so bad someone made a better one in like a week in response called A Better Doom WAD Pulled Out My rear end.

:golfclap:

This thread is making me want to do a thing that other such threads make me want to do: learn how to make my own mods.

It will never happen.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been trying to get Doom RPG to run for a while today. No luck yet. Too bad, it looks kind of fun.

On the other end of the spectrum, Doomrl Armory is very fun. My first run through I picked up a Nuclear Plasma Pistol. 16 shots, didn't use actual plasma ammo, automatically regenerated it's own ammo. Stupid overpowered.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

I ended up downloading DemonSteele after seeing mention of it in the thread, then combining it with first a Wolf3D total conversion and then one of those Astrostein mods. I never knew that I wanted to run around as a five-foot-four anime beating Nazis to death with a scabbard, but hey.

I dunno about making all the enemies human, but I remember there was a mod that had you play as a Baron. It was apparently horrifically terrible.

RickVoid posted:

Been trying to get Doom RPG to run for a while today. No luck yet. Too bad, it looks kind of fun.

On the other end of the spectrum, Doomrl Armory is very fun. My first run through I picked up a Nuclear Plasma Pistol. 16 shots, didn't use actual plasma ammo, automatically regenerated it's own ammo. Stupid overpowered.

More stuff to add to the list.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Two more for the pile: X Weapon and Metroid: Dreadnought.

Metroid: Dreadnought is so, so good, but it needs some classic Metroid enemies and maps designed for it's special movement modes, stat.

X Weapon has a triple chaingun. Which is also great.

Edit: Epic 2 + Epic2GL (graphics mod) + MetroidDreadnoughtv1 is pretty much like playing a Metroidvania, but guddamn it needs some enemy replacements. Oh, and it has some special options that aren't enabled by default, like turning megaspheres into energy tanks.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 5, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

We will be continuing our slow spiral into Doom-ish insanity in about an hour and a half. Stream'll start in about an hour.

Same DooM place.

Thanks for coming out, everyone! Same time, same place next week.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Y'all like DooM, right?

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Happy Friday, here's some DooM:
s2p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p4 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

*same poo poo, different banner

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You talking about waiting for a wad with the sound effects reminds me of something a Doom-modding interent friend of mine made back when we played a lot of Doom online. It replaced all monster death sound effects with CD-i Ganon saying "die". It was as magical and stupid as it sounds.

Dude also made some other cool mods, such as one with different classes (mostly used for Invasion maps), including Heretic Guy, Hexen Guy and Strife Guy. Still have it here.

Edit: And another friend from the same community actually made one and a half map for Community Chest 3. He was responsible for map 14 and half of map 3.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 10, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Those soldier sprites (both the beige-uniform dudes and the guys in green uniforms) are taken directly from Blake Stone, a decent but forgotten Wolfenstien 3D clone.

EDIT: Also the brown-uniformed officers. I'd recognise that speed-walk followed by dramatic-pistol-shot animation anywhere.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 10, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Since I don't see it in the list, I'll put forth the suggestion of 32in24-14: How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas. (And not just because I have a map in it; it actually has some good poo poo in there.)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Loxbourne posted:

Those soldier sprites (both the beige-uniform dudes and the guys in green uniforms) are taken directly from Blake Stone, a decent but forgotten Wolfenstien 3D clone.

EDIT: Also the brown-uniformed officers. I'd recognise that speed-walk followed by dramatic-pistol-shot animation anywhere.

Makes sense in a way, I'm pretty sure some of those enemy noises in the Operation Overlord wad are from Blood as well and the map design feels like it was borrowed wholesale from one of the Medal of Honor games. An interesting mish-mash to be sure but not a very playable one!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Yo dog. You gotta let me in on this, I've been wanting to do an LP like this for a while but never got around to it. I got all the sweet hookups for WADs, and can record stuff too if you would like. PM me your skype details and we can talk Doom.

Really, I got all kinds of WADs, and love to talk Doom.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KennyMan666 posted:

You talking about waiting for a wad with the sound effects reminds me of something a Doom-modding interent friend of mine made back when we played a lot of Doom online. It replaced all monster death sound effects with CD-i Ganon saying "die". It was as magical and stupid as it sounds.

Dude also made some other cool mods, such as one with different classes (mostly used for Invasion maps), including Heretic Guy, Hexen Guy and Strife Guy. Still have it here.

Edit: And another friend from the same community actually made one and a half map for Community Chest 3. He was responsible for map 14 and half of map 3.

If the mod with classes is Samsara, the guy who made it posts in the Early FPS Thread in Games, actually!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If the mod with classes is Samsara, the guy who made it posts in the Early FPS Thread in Games, actually!
No, he's called SK and the mod was called SK Mega. Just tried it out for the first time in ages and oh my god we had so many stupid skins added for multiplayer shenanigans. I'll have to ask if there's any more updated version and/or if I can share it here. It only works in Skulltag, though, since it uses Skulltag weapons for stuff.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren: The Stream will be at the usual place at the usual (9:30 Pacific) time, tonight:siren:

Come join the fun and stuff. We're gonna finish up the Cacowards, tonight.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

like I said, man. Hit me up, I got tons of Doom WADs and knowledge to share if you'd like.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

All done for the night. Thanks for coming out.

A quick but important note:
There won't be a DooM Stream next Tuesday, as I won't be at home to do it. There may be some other kind of stream, so stay tuned for any info on that, but I won't have my computer which has all the WADs on it.

Anyway, we've officially made it through the first episode: (Which just looked at the Cacowards from 2003-2013)
and are now moving onto the second episode:(Which is looking at the other single player wads we can find)
and by extension the third episode:(Which is looking at multiplayer wads)

So, if you've got any good WADs that aren't already on the list, throw 'em in the thread.

Also, if you wanna participate in the Wadferno videos, just make sure you've got a legal copy of DooM 2, a copy of Skulltag, and a copy of DooM Explorer, then show up and we'll get as many people as we can into the game.

edit: Also, you'll wanna pick up an engine. Zandronum is probably what I'll be using.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 18, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

the best moment from last night's stream

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

s2p5 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p6 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

edit: Also, totally thought it was Friday, today, guys. Sorry for the late update. Life done got busy.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 18, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Man, those smoothed-out pixels just do not work for Doom at all.

And for the multiplayer stuff, I'm pretty sure you only need Zandronum and don't need Skulltag. Skulltag development was halted in 2012 and Zandronum became the new name for the Skulltag fork that the development team continued work on, so it's everything Skulltag was. If I'm around, I might very much be interested in the multiplayering.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Man, those smoothed-out pixels just do not work for Doom at all.

And for the multiplayer stuff, I'm pretty sure you only need Zandronum and don't need Skulltag. Skulltag development was halted in 2012 and Zandronum became the new name for the Skulltag fork that the development team continued work on, so it's everything Skulltag was. If I'm around, I might very much be interested in the multiplayering.

Yeah, there were one or two wads that just didn't wanna run in Zandronum for whatever reason that still ran in Skulltag. It's mostly just a fall back, at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I'd like to request you check out a WAD called Guncaster. It's a weapon/gameplay modifier that turns Doom into something insane and full of explosions and bullets.

• Locked thread