Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Look Under The Rock posted:

Spell this out phonetically and you've got it.

I meant Actuarial, act you Terry ul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

oh ok, strict happiness is still pretty easy to game.

According to some study, money makes you happier but caps out at $75000 a year. Making more than that doesn't really increase your happiness.

The best thing to do according to utilitarianism is to take all the money that people make above that and give it to people who make less.

This is really loving good.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Util good, creates reasonable calculus for human prosperity

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Deontology's a bunch of poo poo.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

This is really loving good.

YES and I will be using that as soon as we finish watching this 60 Minutes video about big game hunting???

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

There is likely a cap to human happiness, but there isn't a bottom.

In conclusion, continuing the human species is a net evil.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Also MMM I mentioned that 70k thing to my mom a couple days ago and she straw manned me into that position you just said, "Oh so you want to tax people 100% for anything they make over 70k?"

Yes mom. Yes.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

Also MMM I mentioned that 70k thing to my mom a couple days ago and she straw manned me into that position you just said, "Oh so you want to tax people 100% for anything they make over 70k?"

Yes mom. Yes.

I'd be down.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Util good, creates reasonable calculus for human prosperity

According to my friend:

I don't use trigger warnings often but tbh this is p gross You can make a utilitarian argument for government-sponsored pedophilia brothels, because although the few children who are forced/sold into prostitution would suffer, it would mean that 1) fewer children would be raped/molested by pedophiles and 2) less people suffering in prison for sex crimes

CCKeane posted:

In conclusion, continuing the human species is a net evil.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

According to my friend:

I don't use trigger warnings often but tbh this is p gross You can make a utilitarian argument for government-sponsored pedophilia brothels, because although the few children who are forced/sold into prostitution would suffer, it would mean that 1) fewer children would be raped/molested by pedophiles and 2) less people suffering in prison for sex crimes

holy poo poo

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 27, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That somebody thought of this string of words is proof that there is no such things as good in this world

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Haha that reminds me of a sociology class I took once where someone suggested that people who go on sex tourism style trips where they have sex with children are actually just helping out the local economy by bringing their money there, so it's not that bad.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

a rubberband ball I made from all the lunches I got at my old job since whole foods was so close by!

reasonable cactus for human prosperity

I met a cactus that seemed reasonable at first, but it turns out he was kind of a prick.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm an economist. Ask me anything about a utility-maximising infinitely lived representative actor.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Asiina posted:

Haha that reminds me of a sociology class I took once where someone suggested that people who go on sex tourism style trips where they have sex with children are actually just helping out the local economy by bringing their money there, so it's not that bad.

Yeah you can make a utilitarian argument for that too

CCKeane posted:

I met a cactus that seemed reasonable at first, but it turns out he was kind of a prick.

Don't talk about Ernie like that

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

That line of thought is bad because its goals are skewed. Even if you look at it through a utilitarian lens it's still bad because your goal, of which should be NO PEDOPHILIA, is not being met. We dropped two bombs on Japan to stop the war, not not lessen it and keep some people out of prison.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

don't be so hard on yourself, you dropped a lot more than 2 bombs on japan

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

We should've dropped them on China too! Everything would've been easier if we just listened to MacArthur. Rabble rabble

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Look if we just get everybody into masocism, then suffering instantly turns into happiness and society wins.

The government should fund BDSM awareness and promotion events and propaganda.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

That line of thought is bad because its goals are skewed. Even if you look at it through a utilitarian lens it's still bad because your goal, of which should be NO PEDOPHILIA, is not being met. We dropped two bombs on Japan to stop the war, not not lessen it and keep some people out of prison.

Well the goal is to have the least pedophilia possible, and it (unfortunately, correctly) recognizes that stopping it entirely is effectively impossible, so it takes a ludicrous utilitarian approach to minimize it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've had a very very bad 6 weeks, how does one get into this masochism thing

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I've had a very very bad 6 weeks, how does one get into this masochism thing

In my experience, gain 50 pounds and get really into Doctor Who.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

Well the goal is to have the least pedophilia possible, and it (unfortunately, correctly) recognizes that stopping it entirely is effectively impossible, so it takes a ludicrous utilitarian approach to minimize it

Who says that's the goal? That certainly would make all pedophiles awfully unhappy. Under utilitarianism, there's no action that is objectively wrong -- all that matters is the consequences. If the consequence of pedophilia is that children are harmed, should our goal not be "make sure as few children are harmed as possible"?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Who says that's the goal? That certainly would make all pedophiles awfully unhappy. Under utilitarianism, there's no action that is objectively wrong -- all that matters is the consequences. If the consequence of pedophilia is that children are harmed, should our goal not be "make sure as few children are harmed as possible"?

I'd pount out here that there is no system of ethics where a well done steak is not objectively wrong.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

About to meet pmom. Anyone want me to deliver a message? Asiina?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

:(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

You're not the only cactus I know, Ernie.

Although you do have a point.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

That's actually a great point I hadn't considered.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think people need to stop talking about ethics and talk about something important instead: Does the world need more power ballads? I'm specifically thinking of the late 80s/early 90s hair/glam rock bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, etc.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

About to meet pmom. Anyone want me to deliver a message? Asiina?

Ask him if I'm actually his favorite mafia player and lie to me regardless of the answer.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

TMMadman posted:

I think people need to stop talking about ethics and talk about something important instead: Does the world need more power ballads? I'm specifically thinking of the late 80s/early 90s hair/glam rock bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Warrant, etc.

Yes, they all went to Country Music, and they are alive and well there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AtaZ_NU_tU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

The correct answer is yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Actually this is a better more recent example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8s3LVHH5Dk

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

One of my favorites, but this is better:

https://youtu.be/5QD5n98R_nk

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I actually linked the wrong Symphony X song. I meant this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyvOJlX4ZkE

TMMadman posted:

One of my favorites, but this is better:

https://youtu.be/5QD5n98R_nk

That is indeed an excellent choice.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Theory: The Cars were the precursor to both grunge and 90s arena rock.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-rdr0qhWk

After the intro and into the verse, notice the use of the odd minor scale switching - it actually is starting out in Harmonic minor but as we can see when we have the resolution of "i kind of lose my mind - yeah" it switches to melodic. This is an odd choice for a bassline. It also sounds like a familiar kind of odd harmonic structure choice we might know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Nirvana had a really clear and different melodic structure, but it really isn't that different than the "innovation" that The Cars are doing there.

We also have very similar crunchy guitarness happening that is similar to another iconic 90s band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcC-cH-xfRk

There you go, how we got from 80s music to grunge and arena rock.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The only good song ever written was take on me by reel big fish, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Theory: The Cars were the precursor to both grunge and 90s arena rock.

Example:

After the intro and into the verse, notice the use of the odd minor scale switching - it actually is starting out in Harmonic minor but as we can see when we have the resolution of "i kind of lose my mind - yeah" it switches to melodic. This is an odd choice for a bassline. It also sounds like a familiar kind of odd harmonic structure choice we might know...

Nirvana had a really clear and different melodic structure, but it really isn't that different than the "innovation" that The Cars are doing there.

We also have very similar crunchy guitarness happening that is similar to another iconic 90s band:

There you go, how we got from 80s music to grunge and arena rock.

I'd be more inclined to think that Pixies were inspired by the tonal moves The Cars made (both Boston-area bands as well), thus inspiring Nirvana at an additional generation removed.

Ric Ocasek produced the first Weezer record.

Also, my band covered Just What I Needed in its last lineup before it kind of shambled to pieces.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 15, 2015