Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My TFC base area is generally good, but I have no visible flux stone. How rare is that stuff? I have made it 8km to 0,0 and I found none. Also, how does rock salt generate?

Flux is generally more common in sedimentary areas, and can spawn as Marble in metamorphic layers. Outside of those, you will never find it.

Rock salt is just another sedimentary layer type. It's nice to have (as is Sylvite,) but hardly necessary, as you can only really use it for meat. (Soybeans tend to be my protein of choice in TFC, as plants are a lot easier to sustain.)

e: to put a finer point on it, I never actively look for rock salt when exploring. It's more the sort of thing that is a nice bonus when I do stumble upon it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Flux is generally more common in sedimentary areas, and can spawn as Marble in metamorphic layers. Outside of those, you will never find it.
I have plenty of metamorphic. Is marble kind of its own layer, or does it just show up in pockets? I never saw it, although I should note I have not dug down. Can I expect a lower sedimentary layer that I might be able to exploit?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have plenty of metamorphic. Is marble kind of its own layer, or does it just show up in pockets? I never saw it, although I should note I have not dug down. Can I expect a lower sedimentary layer that I might be able to exploit?

Nah -- it's just a type of metamorphic stone. The way terrain generation works in TFC is first, the map is cut up into clusters consisting of rock groups, so you'll have a large area of metamorphic rock, then sedimentary, and so on. Randomly generated, of course. Then, each layer cluster divides itself up into smaller subclusters of individual stone types. The takeaway here is that if you find, for example, some shale, you know you're in a sedimentary cluster area, and that other types of sedimentary rock should have their own subclusters nearby.

Inside a given subcluster, the stone type is homogenous, so you don't have to spend a whole lot of time paying attention to every single rock on the ground, just keep moving and when the rock color changes, pick up some rocks and find out where you are.

This can help inform what resources to expect. For example, being in a sedimentary cluster means that you'll probably find a subcluster of a flux mineral easily, as well as plenty of bismuth and even some iron, but copper will be near-impossible to find, only existing in Limestone as malachite. Conversely, a metamorphic area will have lots of copper and zinc, but you'll never find any gold, and flux will be somewhat more difficult to find. Igneous extrusive/intrusive clusters won't have flux at all.

In the early game, you are only ever concerned about the first, topmost layer. (The second layer can jut up out from the ground in mountainous areas, but without a mining pick it's not very helpful to you.) Sedimentary stone only ever shows up in the top layer. Metamorphic can show up in the top two layers, and the two igneous layers can be in any of the three (and one of them is always the third, bottom layer.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carados posted:

So I'm playing Clouds of Darkness, I get to The End page, I drop in the 12 Eyes of Ender, and the portal doesn't open. Is this intentional, or should I cheat in a portal block?

The portal setup is faulty. There needs to be empty space under the portal frame for the portal to open. Dig under it, then replace one of the portal frames so you can put the last eye of ender in again.

Then witness how loving bullshit the ender dragon is in that version of HEE and stop playing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Nah -- it's just a type of metamorphic stone. The way terrain generation works in TFC is first, the map is cut up into clusters consisting of rock groups, so you'll have a large area of metamorphic rock, then sedimentary, and so on. Randomly generated, of course. Then, each layer cluster divides itself up into smaller subclusters of individual stone types. The takeaway here is that if you find, for example, some shale, you know you're in a sedimentary cluster area, and that other types of sedimentary rock should have their own subclusters nearby.
I have conglomerate right near where I was camping out, but all I ever saw from it was conglomerate before it switched over to metamorphic. This was something like a square kilometer. Should I have just combed that area much more?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have conglomerate right near where I was camping out, but all I ever saw from it was conglomerate before it switched over to metamorphic. This was something like a square kilometer. Should I have just combed that area much more?

You don't need to comb a specific area, just find where the stone changes. If you, e.g., went north while exploring, try heading towards "center mass" of the area and then going east, or west. This will of course depend on how the oceans are forming in your particular map.

Also, if you don't have a map mod like JourneyMap or something that lets you explore the world map and add waypoints, you're probably going to have a much rougher time of it. Being able to see the world map and add waypoints is nearly essential.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looking for 1-3 people to play ME^4 with. I'm sick and have nothing to do so I'm gonna be poopsockin it, looking for someone else who will be able to play for more than an hour or two. I'll have a server up in a little a few.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
Hey everyone! Friendly/creepy neighborhood dev checking in again. Sorry for the burst releases there the last few days. I was making up for a giant lack of releases on the part of my team and wanted bugs eliminated ASAP.

Now, it seems we're actually bug-free. In the process, I got carried away with dev work on TE, so I had to increment the version number to 4.0.3. I gave it a "B1" tag since localizations aren't up to date with the new items, but I believe it's pretty stable.

As far as new items, it's really just a couple of Augments, but I imagine people will have a use for them:

Integrated Hopper Apparatus:

and the Nullification Chamber:

Fairly straightforward, the first one automatically pulls items into a machine using the input sides (Blue and Green/Purple if the machine has it), and the second one automatically destroys any extra secondary outputs. Note it's just extras - you can still end up with a stack of 64 laying around in the machine, but nothing bad happens. It'll just void the new ones instead of holding up the process.

The rest of the mods are all in "release" and should be essentially bug free. For anyone who hasn't used the new Forge Lexicon, I really recommend it. :) I did sneak in a search feature, however:

It makes setup way faster.

KingLemming fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 14, 2015

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Excellent. Added on top of that, CoFHTweaks seems to be pretty stable now, too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Technic rehost of ME4: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/material-energy41.694013

Server IP: 192.99.148.123

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I decided to crank out one of the harder Botania challenges and make an auto-spectrolus machine.

http://imgur.com/a/6ub0U

Uses only Botania and vanilla redstone (though the pack I am playing has lots of other mods, which I used to gather resources and dig out the underground platform.)

The mechanics behind it are pretty simple. Drum of the Gathering shears dyed sheep, wool is gathered by a hopperhock and sent into a standard hopper sorter, which puts each color of wool into its own chest. A minecart is sent on a long path, where it visits 16 of those little 3x5 stations with the purple block. These stations inject a single colored wool into the minecart and send the cart off to the next station. Once it gets to the end, the cart is held in place by that glass + piston until it's drained of all its contents, which are dumped on top of the flower above ground in the order that the Spectrolus demands. Then, the cycle begins again.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KingLemming posted:

Now, it seems we're actually bug-free.

HUBRIS!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know how to get to the waypoint manager in JourneyMap? I have hit something before that took me there, and it had teleport options for all those waypoints in my TFC game, but I can't figure out the key. Nothing for that in particular shows up in the key bindings menu.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know how to get to the waypoint manager in JourneyMap? I have hit something before that took me there, and it had teleport options for all those waypoints in my TFC game, but I can't figure out the key. Nothing for that in particular shows up in the key bindings menu.

Open up the fullscreen map (default is "j" I think), then double click directly on a waypoint. If the "create new waypoint" screen pops up instead, you missed. It's weirdly sensitive.

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, there should be a flag icon on the top of the map that takes you right there.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, it't the first button on the rightmost group of three at the top.

Bunch of progress made on Defiance of Fate. Got mob dropper, cobblestone generator, smeltery, got to the nether and have a bunch of ever-burning netherrack fueling my lava crucibles. Crushed netherrack provides decent ore when sieved. Set up an auto-composting station fueled by leaf blocks. Working on a peaceful mob spawning area, and will soon, finally, be starting crop farming.

Will finally be moving on to blood magic, galacticraft, and witchery stuff, soonish.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Any particularly neat packs come out recently? got a hankering for minecraft and no sight of the blightfall update yet :(

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a Botania skyblock thing going around that seems decent, but that all depends on how much you can stand Botania

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

McFrugal posted:

Then witness how loving bullshit the ender dragon is in that version of HEE and stop playing.
Nothing does any significant amount of damage. I had to bring a loving Tool Station and a stack of Steel to The End to repair my arrows.

Wow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does mcedit have something like a block search function and support for TFC? I have walked something like 15km in the North/South direction and 10km in the East/West direction, and have yet to find flux stone of any kind in this world I generated.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a simple mod that adds elevators, for 1.8? Like you stand on a pad or whatever and it transports you to another pad right above or below you.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

uXs posted:

Is there a simple mod that adds elevators, for 1.8? Like you stand on a pad or whatever and it transports you to another pad right above or below you.

Like the one in the OpenBlocks mod? That does essentially what you are looking for.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hitch posted:

Like the one in the OpenBlocks mod? That does essentially what you are looking for.

though make sure you edit the config so the elevator doesn't use experience points when you use it

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Glory of Arioch posted:

though make sure you edit the config so the elevator doesn't use experience points when you use it

Ooh that looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

edit: doesn't seem to work with 1.8 :I

uXs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uXs posted:

Ooh that looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

edit: doesn't seem to work with 1.8 :I

Do ANY mods work with 1.8 at all?

Also, I started a TFC map, and my first map I made had rock salt right at the spawn. :smugdog: (Too bad it is useless before I get a chisel to make a quern)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Glory of Arioch posted:

minecraftmodding.txt

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uXs posted:

There are a ton of mods for spigot/bukkit/cauldron that are compatible with 1.8, but you have to be running a server for them to work. It might be a viable solution for you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Echophonic posted:

minecraftmodding.txt

At least they provide a config option for that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Khorne posted:

There are a ton of mods for spigot/bukkit/cauldron that are compatible with 1.8, but you have to be running a server for them to work. It might be a viable solution for you.

I was asking because I wanted less effort, not more.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

Also, I started a TFC map, and my first map I made had rock salt right at the spawn. :smugdog: (Too bad it is useless before I get a chisel to make a quern)

We'll just assume that there won't be any copper 10 km around you.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We'll just assume that there won't be any copper 10 km around you.

trufax, i haven't found any copper yet

though I only really got to play for about half an hour before I had to get back to work :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

trip report: granite and sedimentary layers are dominating this map

however, I did manage to find four tertrahedrite in a granite layer! this must be a metamorphic layer as second coming close to the surface

i also found silver (first game I can remember ever finding it) and gold, which would normally give me enough for black bronze tools...

except i only found four of the six copper you need to make black bronze

:rip:

my journey continues

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

Minecraft forum's listing shows 234 mods for 1.8 and it isn't a complete list, which is about 23% of the mods available for 1.7 (1,009). There is an interesting pattern like where the end of 1.5's life showed 783 mods and the beginning of 1.6 had 176 mods which capped at 902 before 1.7 released. There is plenty there to make a mod pack, it is just that a lot of the big name mods everyone always uses really haven't updated yet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How is block searching in mcedit supposed to work? Every time I start a search for the TFC limestone block ID, it takes 20 minutes and then crashes at the end. I just assumed it was taking a while to post-process, but I basically gave it 2 hours and got nowhere.

Is there some cruder tool that can just search for the existence of blocks and give me the chunk coordinates or whatever?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

try the seed 2997192267778216767 for the latest tfc version

there's rock salt, and at 14095, -10939 there is loads of limestone

copper has proven somewhat sparse however

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

try the seed 2997192267778216767 for the latest tfc version

there's rock salt, and at 14095, -10939 there is loads of limestone

copper has proven somewhat sparse however

Naw I just found some marble. Well, I saw it, looked it up, realized it wasn't sedimentary, and kept going. Then I looked back and saw marble counted as flux. Whoops.

FireBlade
May 29, 2008
So there was talk of major updates coming to both Blightfall and Regrowth back in June. Have those updates been been pushed, has anyone heard?

I looked at their respective posts in the forums for change logs, but without dates on the change logs I don't know when they were last updated. I played Regrowth a few months ago (was February when it was first going around) and was thinking of starting it up again when I heard there was a major update coming, and someone chimed in that Blightfall had one coming too. Can't find it now, but that's what I remember, I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What, yeah they were pushed last week. They announced it on the Technic Site. Server's up and everything.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/blightfall.592618

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Blightfall? Last update seems to be from a month ago, not last week. =/

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
They posted in here a few days ago that they were still working the kinks out of the newest version, it definitely isn't up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
I'd like to announce Modderation: FYAD Edition as an addition to the Modderation series of modpacks.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Streamlined tech and magic trees, and made it more laptop-friendly.

Server post in PGS coming soon(tm)