Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Get hyped.

Bit sad there won't be any commentary track though. OTOH it's fuckin' Mulholland Dr. on Blu-Ray finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Raxivace posted:

Get hyped.

Bit sad there won't be any commentary track though. OTOH it's fuckin' Mulholland Dr. on Blu-Ray finally.

Lynch doesn't do commentary tracks. I'm happy there's some new interviews though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cacator posted:

Lynch doesn't do commentary tracks. I'm happy there's some new interviews though

I'd want a track from a critic or film historian, though yeah I'd be willing to bet Lynch wouldn't let that happen either.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
gently caress yes, is all I gotta say

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Slate Action posted:

Kwaidan (upgrade)

Of important note, this is finally the extended cut of the movie, which Criterion had not included in the previous release.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

zandert33 posted:

Of important note, this is finally the extended cut of the movie, which Criterion had not included in the previous release.

Is there another story that was cut or just some edits?

Also, am I wrong, or is it still only going to be DVD and not BR? That's a bummer if so. That movie would be even better in BR - it's a knockout, visually.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

ClydeUmney posted:

Also, am I wrong, or is it still only going to be DVD and not BR? That's a bummer if so. That movie would be even better in BR - it's a knockout, visually.

Looks like both BR and DVD.

To be honest, I've only seen the extended cut from an import DVD so I'm not sure the exact differences. If I'm not mistaken it still has the same 4 stories, but the movie is 20 minutes longer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mulholland Dr - at long last! no-brainer purchase for me, one of my top 100 films.

Kwaidan - I'll probably buy this, psyched to see the longer cut

My Own Private Idaho - haven't seen this in a long time, but no desire to revisit it. pass.

A Special Day - looks intriguing, and I adored the one Scola I've seen (We All Loved Each Other So Much). definite rental

The Brood - never seen it, Cronenberg is hit or miss with me... possible rental

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That'd be a really good month even without Mulholland Drive, which is a day-one, must-own, top-ten film for me. So loving excited.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It really love My Own Private Idaho, so I'm glad to see that get upgraded v

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

zandert33 posted:

Looks like both BR and DVD.

To be honest, I've only seen the extended cut from an import DVD so I'm not sure the exact differences. If I'm not mistaken it still has the same 4 stories, but the movie is 20 minutes longer.

Ah - looked like only DVD when I browsed the site on my phone. I guess it's because they were showing what was current, not what was coming. Kick rear end.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I have not seen Mulholland Drive, so I am most excited for The Brood.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I didn't see this anywhere, but the Criterion restoration of The Black Stallion was released yesterday. That's a gorgeous film for which I've been waiting forever. In fact , I'm positive I submitted it to Criterion in the past as a "most wanted" but I never dared hope it would get the Criterion treatment.

Now if they can get their hand on Diva, which is also on my list....

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm pretty sure Diva has been a rumored title for them forever.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I own the anchor bay release of Diva, but I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Also, Tampopo needs a Criterion release.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I own the anchor bay release of Diva, but I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Also, Tampopo needs a Criterion release.

Good call. That reminds me that Big Night would be nice, too.

Between that and Diva, I guess I have a thing for stories about artists that don't compromise.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ClydeUmney posted:

zandert33 posted:

It's the same stories but the extra twenty minutes adds some sex/nudity. Also, the MoC version has a wider aspect ratio.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

FitFortDanga posted:

The Brood - never seen it, Cronenberg is hit or miss with me... possible rental

The Brood is a Cronenberg film for Cronenberg fans. Shivers, Rabid, and The Brood were his horror films in the 70s and of that trilogy I'd argue that The Brood is actually the least essential.

For fans: it's great, because it's early Cronenberg.

If you already find him hit or miss: The Brood isn't the film that's going to sway you one way or the other.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Aw yess, just saw that The Brood is slated for an October release. It's my personal favorite from Cronenberg because of how raw, sincere, and angry it is. It's going to be hard to wait for a sale rather than just buying immediately on release.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Speaking of Cronenberg, blind bought Naked Lunch (and Tokyo Drifter) today. I feel like I heard a lot about Naked Lunch while I was in college, but not much since (even from fans), so not sure what to expect there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Won't there be a November sale? I think if I'm picking up three of the October titles I should wait for a sale

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Where's a good place to start for Suzuki?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Branded to Kill is his foremost film, but I like Tokyo Drifter just as much. What would you prefer, breathtaking color composition or crazy innovative black and white visuals?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tokyo Drifter is a lot of fun and the theme will be stuck in your head for days.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

What would you prefer, breathtaking color composition or crazy innovative black and white visuals?

This is why I hate these sales. Probably gonna pick up both, Black Narcissus, Charulata, and Ballad of Narayama. All blind.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Fighting Elegy is fun too.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
Gate of Flesh is his best film imo. It has a combination of garish cartoony lighting and disturbing violence that's grounded in dark political commentary that's really interesting. Desperately needs a Blu-ray update.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This is why I hate these sales. Probably gonna pick up both, Black Narcissus, Charulata, and Ballad of Narayama. All blind.

Black Narcissus is really good. Lots of great shots, good use of color.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is always a dangerous month for me. I was at a store nearby to drop off a poster frame order and I walked into the nearby Barnes and nobles.

Walked put with rashomon, investigation of a citizen about suspicion, for all mankind and when horror came to shochiku. Mostly blind buys but I do know most of rashomon, just never actually watched it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rashomon is pretty amazing so I'd say you chose wisely at least there. Haven't really seen any of the others, though I do have a copy of Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion sitting on my shelf...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think the only Kurosawa bluray I'm missing is Kagemusha. But I have a copy of high and low I've never seen.

Wait,yojimbo and sanjuro is Kurosawa right? Missing that too.

Gonna sit down and try to watch a criterion this weekend for sure. I tend to save them for a nice, quiet day.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I got Eraserhead and blind bought Medium Cool. I really wanted Friends of Eddie Coyle but the blu ray was sold out. I'm not insane like y'all and can't blow $300 on dvds :(

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ineffiable posted:

I think the only Kurosawa bluray I'm missing is Kagemusha. But I have a copy of high and low I've never seen.

Cancel your plans for this evening, and watch High and Low. Easily one of the best films I've seen.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ineffiable posted:

Wait,yojimbo and sanjuro is Kurosawa right? Missing that too.

Gonna sit down and try to watch a criterion this weekend for sure. I tend to save them for a nice, quiet day.

Still wanna know what's keeping Ikiru from Bluray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Still wanna know what's keeping Ikiru from Bluray.

The transfer team keeps crying on the print.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The transfer team keeps crying on the print.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
By Brakhage was a risky blind-buy but holy crap Dog Star Man is the feature-length Wonka boat ride I never knew I wanted :pcgaming:

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 19, 2015

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I'm glad some of you are ecstatic about Mulholland Drive but, eh, kind of a let down compared to thinking it was Apu. I could never get into Lynch.

Anyway, it's probably a bad time with the sale on, but I'm looking to sell my bluray of The Third Man if anyone wants it. It's in an amaray, not a slipcase. Send me a PM if you want so I don't have to deal with eBay.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Latest announcements are up for preorder on Amazon now.

(links to Blu-rays, can switch to DVDs on the same page)

Mulholland Dr.
The Brood
Kwaidan
My Own Private Idaho
A Special Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The B&N 50% off sale is being extended until Aug 3rd.

So far I've just impulse bought Kuroneko, knowing nothing about it other than it was from the director of Onibaba. Probably going to pick up Sword of Doom too, another mostly blind buy.