Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Maquis are pieces of poo poo because the Cardassians are the most beautiful, loquacious and moral of all races.

And all Bajorans are scum.

But ensign Ro Laren was ok with me. But maybe I just like headbands in the workplace.

Truly, the 24th century is a complicated place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Maquis are pieces of poo poo because the Cardassians are the most beautiful, loquacious and moral of all races.

And all Bajorans are scum.

But ensign Ro Laren was ok with me. But maybe I just like headbands in the workplace.

Truly, the 24th century is a complicated place.

Dukat should have killed them all

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i honestly really want a series that has the aesthetics of BSG but isn't post-apocalyptic or whatever

poo poo it doesn't even need killer robots it could just be two human space navies slugging it out in space

and a fatherly, gravel-voiced, hard-charging leader as commander

Try Stargate Universe.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i honestly really want a series that has the aesthetics of BSG but isn't post-apocalyptic or whatever

poo poo it doesn't even need killer robots it could just be two human space navies slugging it out in space

and a fatherly, gravel-voiced, hard-charging leader as commander

Truth be told, I'd like a good space opera-style war show. Do it Macross style, where it's one big war for the whole season, and you have different tactical manuevers and admirals and cool flagships and poo poo. It's a grand conflict with lots of characters and maybe some mechs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stupid Miles O'Brien didn't know how good he could have had it. A beautiful Cardassian woman, on a hot-shot career track in the Science Ministry, with long sinewy trapezius tendons that indicate fertility.

He should have pushed Kay-Ko out an airlock, given Molly a fetching "round hat" hairstyle and started a new and better life of basking on warm rocks in a dark room, sipping kanar, supping yamok sauce and reading repetitive epics to each other.

Poor Gilora Rejal, she would have been Gul of the 2nd order of my heart.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

And speaking of sex in proximity to the wormhole, I never noticed how Grand Negus Zek once jerked off Quark

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What if Rom's son was named Nig instead of Nog? Would that have been uncomfortable?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

What if Rom's son was named Nig instead of Nog? Would that have been uncomfortable?

I suspect either way, he'd want a hand-beezy.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

lmao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is that how the universal translator renders oomox?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Kitchner posted:

That's the point though, the show would present them as these people just fighting for their homes. The series would show you how they built the homes themselves, they had kids born on that world etc.

The audience is like "Yeah these guys are the good guys, I'm on their side!" then they start piecing together all these terrorist acts. You start seeing how some actions they claim are destroying Cardassian weapons shipments but are actually killing innocent people to.

You hear the Federation (who have really only been talked about and shown on screen to be unhelpful) trying to reason with them, offering them ways out and they refuse.

Basically you could gently caress with the entire audience by getting them to really like a set of characters and then having them slowly come to their own realisation that these guys are terrorists.

There's an (archived) thread in CD about how the Michael Bay transformers movies are trying to do exactly this. The autobots are actually assholes hellbent on mass-surveillance and ethnic-cleansing. The point was well-argued, and watching the movies from that mindset improved them. The movies still weren't good, but they were better.

Inglorious Basterds was meant to be a subversive film. The climax goes from a theater full of nazis enthusiastically cheering a movie sniper gunning down a bunch of Russians (americans?), to a shot of Basterds themselves gunning down a theater full of nazis, while the audience cheers. It's not exactly subtle, but I didn't see it until someone else pointed it out to me.

Star Trek is sometimes progressive, but never subtle. Usually the best a Star Trek writer can accomplish is "LOOK AT KIRK KISSING THIS BLACK WOMAN! LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE!" "Tuvix" was an interesting idea that spawned a lot of debate, but there wasn't any nuance to it. What was the last Star-Trek episode that someone had to explain to you?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

why weren't there any tribbles in starfleet

sure they probably can't qualify for the academy but they could at least be enlisted crewmen

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went to the Star Trek Experience and drank blood wine at Quarks. There were Borgs and Klingons everywhere. Then we went into a turbolift and got beamed onto the bridge of the D and chased some Klingons around Las Vegas. The best part is when we got our bill for food an drinks, some ensign came up and said "Here is your damage report."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

How did the ancient Bajorans get their wooden sailboats (laden with ornate brass fittings) up the gravity well?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Baron posted:

"Here is your damage report."

That is legit amazing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i had a friend get refused service at the bar at quarks in like 2005 because he was wearing a WoW Alliance shirt

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

There's an (archived) thread in CD about how the Michael Bay transformers movies are trying to do exactly this. The autobots are actually assholes hellbent on mass-surveillance and ethnic-cleansing. The point was well-argued, and watching the movies from that mindset improved them. The movies still weren't good, but they were better.

Inglorious Basterds was meant to be a subversive film. The climax goes from a theater full of nazis enthusiastically cheering a movie sniper gunning down a bunch of Russians (americans?), to a shot of Basterds themselves gunning down a theater full of nazis, while the audience cheers. It's not exactly subtle, but I didn't see it until someone else pointed it out to me.

Star Trek is sometimes progressive, but never subtle. Usually the best a Star Trek writer can accomplish is "LOOK AT KIRK KISSING THIS BLACK WOMAN! LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE!" "Tuvix" was an interesting idea that spawned a lot of debate, but there wasn't any nuance to it. What was the last Star-Trek episode that someone had to explain to you?

This is peak :catdrugs:. Try loosening your fedora so the blood can reach your drat brain again.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

DreadLlama posted:

What was the last Star-Trek episode that someone had to explain to you?

The one where they wipe Worfs brothers memory. "Huh? Why?"

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Stupid Miles O'Brien didn't know how good he could have had it. A beautiful Cardassian woman, on a hot-shot career track in the Science Ministry, with long sinewy trapezius tendons that indicate fertility.

He should have pushed Kay-Ko out an airlock, given Molly a fetching "round hat" hairstyle and started a new and better life of basking on warm rocks in a dark room, sipping kanar, supping yamok sauce and reading repetitive epics to each other.

Poor Gilora Rejal, she would have been Gul of the 2nd order of my heart.

This is what Miles could have had:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Caitlyn Jenner?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

No-one has ever been able to adequately explain The Alternative Factor to me.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

DreadLlama posted:

Can someone explain what the meaning of Threshold was? No, no-one can't as the idiot producers cut the scene actually explaining it so they could have "moar action" (action NOT meaning Janeway-lizard on Paris-lizard action) because Voyager was a piece of poo poo with lower ratings than DS9 despite the fact they did much more advertising for it than DS9.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

How did the ancient Bajorans get their wooden sailboats (laden with ornate brass fittings) up the gravity well?

Honestly was the thing supposed to be built entirely out of wood or do people just make that assumption because lol space sailboat

balsa wood was used in some early spacecraft heat shields

Squeezy Farm posted:

This is peak :catdrugs:. Try loosening your fedora so the blood can reach your drat brain again.

No, really. The Autobots are the bad guys in those loving films. Well, there are no good guys at any rate. It's unnerving as gently caress to hear Optimus Prime yell about murdering people for an hour and a half.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay so I'm watching Voyager through again.

I just watched the episode where the doctor is pulled out of some ruins 700 years later and activated and goes 'no dudes you have your history totally wrong' because they thought Voyager was some evil ship that had wiped out millions of people with biogenic weapons and poo poo.

According to the doctor's story, the ship is ganked at some point by like 7-8 ships, and is presumably destroyed since it is now wreckage on some moon or whatever.

But then in the next episode the show just continues. Like what? What happened there? Was that an alternate timeline? They didn't even do a 1 sentence 'woah that sure was a weird temporal anomaly right?' at the beginning of the next episode.

If everything is chill then what the gently caress is with the whole storyline of the doctor's mobile emitter being found in a ruin 700 years later and then after doing some doctoring taking a small ship to try and get to Earth solo?

:catstare:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
it's a really loving terrible show and that episode was probably the only one that even the doctor couldn't make better

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They establish that he was a backup copy of the doctor, which makes total sense but isn't consistent with the artificial peril from every other episode, "oh no my holomatrix is destabilizing, I could be deleted permanently". Voyager wasn't destroyed; in a throwaway line I think he says something about the aliens raiding the ship and stealing supplies, which they deduce must have included one of his backup modules, i.e. him.

I actually like that episode because it's a creative high concept instead of rehashed Star Trek script formula, and I think the "backup module" conceit is completely forgivable as a device to set up the story. The evil Voyager crew recreation is a lot of fun too. Giant tattoo Chakotay. (Evil Janeway is the one that falls flat because she is basically the same.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the episode itself. I must have just totally missed the back up thing (now that I think about it it wasnt his mobile emitter it was just some backup data storage I guess). Although you're right it doesn't make sense in context of the holonatrix degrading stuff.

I was just super confused at the end regarding the timeline.

But yeah I like any time they make Federation types evil; I like the Enterprise episode where it's an alternate timeline evil human empire for that reason.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 16, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I like Tracy Scoggins, she's a good actress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ralp posted:

I actually like that episode because it's a creative high concept instead of rehashed Star Trek script formula, and I think the "backup module" conceit is completely forgivable as a device to set up the story. The evil Voyager crew recreation is a lot of fun too. Giant tattoo Chakotay. (Evil Janeway is the one that falls flat because she is basically the same.)

Or that season 7 one where the doctor writes a holonovel where everyone treats him like garbage and Evil Janeway reformats him at the end

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 16, 2015

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's another one where some delta quadrant con artists go around claiming to be Voyager and selling different planets memberships to the Federation, faux-Janeway and faux-Tuvok give pretty good performances. It's a really cute concept but as I remember the episode, the execution doesn't really do it justice. It could have been a madcap romp of mistaken identities and counter-cons and counter-counter-cons, or a more grounded investigation procedural, but it gets stuck in between the two.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I like when Star Trek stories are about Star Trek stories.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

I like Tracy Scoggins, she's a good actress.

Claudia Christian is better, and I have no idea why she wasn't there to run B5 in S5 :smith:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Yaos posted:

The fact that you think Klingon is a real language is absolutely hilarious. You should think about that before you embarrass yourself any further.

Experience Bij.

Klingon is more real than Esperanto or Elvish.

Tighclops posted:

Honestly was the thing supposed to be built entirely out of wood or do people just make that assumption because lol space sailboat

balsa wood was used in some early spacecraft heat shields

No, really. The Autobots are the bad guys in those loving films. Well, there are no good guys at any rate. It's unnerving as gently caress to hear Optimus Prime yell about murdering people for an hour and a half.

That was a good thread. And as much as I love the Transformers, the movie Autobots are all sociopaths at best, with the Decepticons at least making token efforts at making ro-babies or robo-farms or whatever the deal was with the cyberforming thing was.

Then there's the face fetish thing Prime has.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The General posted:

Claudia Christian is better, and I have no idea why she wasn't there to run B5 in S5 :smith:

couple of reasons

-jms was a huge creeper who had tried to get in her pants for four years
-she was a functioning alcoholic
-it took the studio too long to commit to season 5 (PTEN imploded and they got picked up by Turner) and she was sick of waiting and had signed on for other projects
-WB lawyers tried to get her drunk at a party and sign a season 5 contract

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

273423-X posted:

I like when Star Trek stories are about Star Trek stories.

Voyager's "Muse" is one of my unironic favorites.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Can someone please find this in wallpaper resolution

and brighten it up

and remove the crewman

and Photoshop their shirts off?

Thanks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Garak look fat as gently caress

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

couple of reasons

-jms was a huge creeper who had tried to get in her pants for four years
-she was a functioning alcoholic
-it took the studio too long to commit to season 5 (PTEN imploded and they got picked up by Turner) and she was sick of waiting and had signed on for other projects
-WB lawyers tried to get her drunk at a party and sign a season 5 contract

the b5 set must have been the most hosed up place since so many of its crew and cast were either weird or had actual mental disorders.

except for bruce boxleitner, who just seems like a swell stand up kind of guy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess the backup could be explained depending on when it happened. The backup was always there, but by the time they realized the Doctor's program was corrupt, his backups were corrupt as well. Or the backup was fine but it was also missing, because it had been stolen and lost on that moon already and it's one of those things where they can't just replicate a replacement. Or maybe the backup was always there and always fine, but the computer engineers who knew how the holodoc worked all died in the first episode, LOL. Belana was a hack who flunked out of college, and Voyager had a bunch of new systems nobody except the specially trained (dead) crew knew how to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

oldpainless posted:

Garak look fat as gently caress

Cardassian makeup/uniforms are unflattering on almost everyone.

• Locked thread