Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

The only good song ever written was take on me by reel big fish, imo.

Both of those symphony x songs were good, although I think the first one was more ballady.

However, you are incorrect as this is the only good song ever written: https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress grunge forever

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

yes

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Look Under The Rock posted:

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.

yes to this as well

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Those two first Weezer albums are so loving good. drat it Cuomo. drat you.

I still know all the lyrics to Pinkerton, that was the angsty "I'm single" album of my adolescence and there was nothing more cathartic than blaring it and just wailing out the words while cruising the highways and by-ways and the nowhere roads of Connecticut in my hand-me-down 1999 Chrysler minivan. What an idyllic youth I had.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Kumbamontu posted:

Nah man, grunge is fine.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I still know all the lyrics to Pinkerton, that was the angsty "I'm single" album of my adolescence and there was nothing more cathartic than blaring it and just wailing out the words while cruising the highways and by-ways and the nowhere roads of Connecticut in my hand-me-down 1999 Chrysler minivan. What an idyllic youth I had.

The first two Weezer albums are stellar because Cuomo is super awesome at writing what he knows. That's why when he was this older dude who was back in college and trying to deal with all the feels from that he made the incredibly personal and introspective Pinkerton.

Nobody gives a poo poo about how hard it is to be rich and famous because it's not genuine, and really Cuomo doesn't seem to have anything to write about that's not just masturbation because maybe that's what being rich is about? Beverley Hills is a prime example of this, what a loving awful song.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quidnose posted:

The first two Weezer albums are stellar because Cuomo is super awesome at writing what he knows. That's why when he was this older dude who was back in college and trying to deal with all the feels from that he made the incredibly personal and introspective Pinkerton.

Nobody gives a poo poo about how hard it is to be rich and famous because it's not genuine, and really Cuomo doesn't seem to have anything to write about that's not just masturbation because maybe that's what being rich is about? Beverley Hills is a prime example of this, what a loving awful song.

And I want to believe so badly that they'll get good again but that's a far-gone hope. The last song of theirs that I sorta liked was "Pork and Beans" and that's pretty terribly written but I get what it is to eat cheap pork and beans for years on end, even if the song isn't about that. It just had a slightly catchy hook.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

You know their album from last year from the little I listened to it at least sounds like old Weezer although there were still some lyrics that I was like "what the gently caress is this garbage." Did you listen to it and have any opinions?

Between Red Album and Hurley every time a new Weezer album came out I had so much hope. There were parts of the Red Album I liked but then there was that bizarre Quaker Hymn piece and I just didn't understand.

Raditude I literally live texted several of my friends while I was listening to it and with each new track each text went like this

"WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW"
"HOW"
"JUST WHY"
"I DON'T"
"CUOMO"
"ok this track is over it can't get worse from here"
"WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW"

rinse and repeat.

Hurley I actually kinda liked but I think by that point I had just given up completely, like you said.

It can never be again, I guess.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Kumbamontu posted:

Grunge is dead, didn't you read the shirt?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My favorite weezer song was that time they helped out those autotune the news people.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quidnose posted:

You know their album from last year from the little I listened to it at least sounds like old Weezer although there were still some lyrics that I was like "what the gently caress is this garbage." Did you listen to it and have any opinions?

Between Red Album and Hurley every time a new Weezer album came out I had so much hope. There were parts of the Red Album I liked but then there was that bizarre Quaker Hymn piece and I just didn't understand.

No because I died a bit more after Red and Hurley, and Raditude just buried any faith I had 6 feet under.

It's not unlike what happened to me with the Strokes. The difference there was I never had an emotional attachment. Is This It? is just frankly wonderful and that's all they really had in them, which is fine. But they're another band I just gave up on.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

My favorite weezer song was that time they helped out those autotune the news people.

Yessssssss

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 27, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well that is fair enough

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

well that is fair enough

Ecco loves to stamp on you every chance she gets.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Ecco loves to stamp on you every chance she gets.
don't kink shame

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Music is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cQ9kUPoaqI

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

How did I never notice that Uranus is just a featureless disc before? Just a big bluish white ball. Maybe if it had a less anal name I'd pay more attention to it overall!

Neptune is where it's at.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Are you me

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

How did I never notice that Uranus is just a featureless disc before? Just a big bluish white ball. Maybe if it had a less anal name I'd pay more attention to it overall!

Neptune is where it's at.

How rude

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

How rude

no, but really, how rude? like what measurement are we talking

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

no, but really, how rude? like what measurement are we talking

It's at least two kilo-eccos.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Hey MMM, I'll co-mod with you if you co-mod with me. Like, 2 different games. I have about half a setup for a Metal Gear Solid game and I need to keep workshopping the mechanics down.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hmmmmm

I'm not sure if I'm familiar enough with Metal Gear Solid

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's just a box.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hmmmmm

I'm not sure if I'm familiar enough with Metal Gear Solid

I have the flavor down, I just need someone to help me with game mechanics really. I have pretty bad conceptions of balance.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Here's an old Chinese saying: balance doesn't really matter

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I have the flavor down, I just need someone to help me with game mechanics really. I have pretty bad conceptions of balance.

I always offer to help people with balancing their setups and every time I get one I realize I'm no pro at it. I'll give it a look if you send it my way, but nothing for certain.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I always offer to help people with balancing their setups and every time I get one I realize I'm no pro at it. I'll give it a look if you send it my way, but nothing for certain.

Sounds good. When I get a rough draft I'll send you a link over skype.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's not the words of the fortune that matter, but the taste of the cookie that contains them

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Balance is a myth.

Also only one more person needed for my game!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730666

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

People say this but people also criticize a game afterwards if they perceived it as imbalanced.

What do people think about balance in games? I get that sometimes it should be sacrificed in favor of fun but shouldn't the average game attempt to create a good balance?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

People criticize balance

1) when they lose

2) when it's a ridiculous imbalance, usually intentional

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

People say this but people also criticize a game afterwards if they perceived it as imbalanced.

What do people think about balance in games? I get that sometimes it should be sacrificed in favor of fun but shouldn't the average game attempt to create a good balance?

It depends what you're going for. I got slammed in the first game I ran for advertising a basic, mostly vanilla game and running an very unbalanced setup. People were upset because their expectations were different than what they got. Just recently I ran a setup with 3 jesters and advertised it as "this is some dumb poo poo, come have fun" it was a success.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah youre pr much fine if you dont lie to the players

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'll save the MGS game for later. For now I have created Absurdly Vanilla Mafia, a game for 14 people.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I plan to make a series of 15 Toto themed games (one for each album) who would be interested in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Kumbamontu posted:

You take that back...